View Poll Results: Will Sony announce PS4 selling 10 million in August?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

37 92.50%
  • No

1 2.50%
  • I have a gambling problem and cannot place a vote

2 5.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Master Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Will PS4 reach 10 million units sold in August?

Place your bets people, earlier this month it was unofficially reported that PS4 had sold 9 million units.

Thus keeping to the trajectory of 1 million consoles sold per month.

As of Dec 31 2013 - 4.2 Million
    As of Feb 8 2014 - 5.3 Million
    As of Mar 2 2014 - 6 Million
    As of Apr 6 2014 - 7 Million
    As of Jul 2 2014 - 9 Million (unofficial)

So what do you think, will we get an announcement in August that over 10 million units have been sold?

Gamescom is getting closer and will make for the perfect place to announce such an achievement.

What say you?

Last edited by Bitbydeath; 07-29-2014 at 03:42.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    10 million by Gamescom

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    I believe it will. While TLOU may not be a system seller for previous PS3 owners, I'm fairly certain it will help some fence sitters who didn't own a PS3 and looking to get into the new gen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

Ultimate Veteran
    No I think it hit 10 million in sept or oct installed base.

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Judging by the momentum it has had this year I would even say before that, especially as the white Destiny bundle is due out in September, think that along with the Driveclub bundle will really shift some units easily taking in past 10 million!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    I think it really depends on how reliable that July 2nd 9M number is. Once you get out of tax refund season for the US (March/April) the sales rates on consoles tends to stay pretty flat until Fall games schedules which gives it an up tick, and then a major jump during the Holidays.

If it was really at 9M July 2nd, I suspect the PS4 will hit 10M by end of Aug, if that number was bogus, then nope. That said, I'm guessing the PS4 will hit 14M by Dec 31st (with a slim chance of hitting 15M.)

Even with only a handful of non cross-gen games this fall. Assassin's Creed Unity is the first Major cross platform line to go 100% Current Gen. This will drive sales as there's a number of die hard addicts. If CoD or a GTA did it, then it would push even more people to the next gen. These are addict games that a fair amount of the crowd only grabs one or two games a year, but these are their go to games.

When there's only a handful of exclusives for the generation, and only one or two of those which are truly great. That's not going to drive those who are 'content' with the graphic fidelity of the PS3 to move on. Even though they know that the graphical fidelity is better, and there may be a few more bells and whistles.

That said, it's actually surprising how well this generation has sold so far. A few more must have 'this gen only' games next year will cement it, and you'll have a solid 25-30M PS4's sold by Dec. 31st 2015 (I'll wait to see how well the XB1 rebounds this Christmas given the price drop but if I were to guess, they'd be about 5M behind PS4 at the end of next holiday season.)

Veteran
    I would eat my sandwich if they hadn't gotten 10 million by now. I'd eat it if they had, too. I'm not much of a gambling man. I like certainty.

Really, though, I'd be quite surprised if they hadn't hit the 10 million mark.

EA's netflix-like service may move some Xbones, though, and take some away from PS4... At least while the timed exclusivity holds.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    funkybudda
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtheduck View Post
    I would eat my sandwich if they hadn't gotten 10 million by now. I'd eat it if they had, too. I'm not much of a gambling man. I like certainty.

Really, though, I'd be quite surprised if they hadn't hit the 10 million mark.

EA's netflix-like service may move some Xbones, though, and take some away from PS4... At least while the timed exclusivity holds.
    I doubt the "EA Access" subscription will do much, you think EA would be stupid enough to include the latest titles under that subscription plan? One year membership of $30 will let you play ALL of their latest titles? I don't think so.

Back on topic, I don't think Sony will hit 10 Mil at end of August, I think it will hit that end of Sept.
    You need a users permission to quote them in your sig.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    If the July numbers are right I say for sure.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Yes, it's looking likely that it will.

Who knows though, that 9mill was never addressed officially (at least by Sony afaik).

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Forum Sage

I think it's already done so. My personal opinions aside, Sony has done the impossible. They've managed to create the second era of PlayStation. This hasn't been witnessed since the PlayStation 2.

12. Likes PhillyPhreak likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by funkybudda View Post
    I doubt the "EA Access" subscription will do much, you think EA would be stupid enough to include the latest titles under that subscription plan? One year membership of $30 will let you play ALL of their latest titles? I don't think so.

Back on topic, I don't think Sony will hit 10 Mil at end of August, I think it will hit that end of Sept.
    Looks like junk to me. Play new games 5 days before they come out for a limited time, then buy them and pick up where you left off with your 10% discount, which will be $6USD, rofl. NO

http://www.ea.com/eaaccess/
    Sleeping very soundly on a Saturday morning I was dreaming
    I was Al Capone
    There's a rumour going round, gotta clear outta town
    I'm smelling like a dry fish bone
    Here come the Law, gonna break down the door, gonna carry me
    away once more
    Never, never, never get it any more
    Gotta get away from this stone cold floor
    Crazy
    Stone cold crazy, you know

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by John Willaford View Post
    Looks like junk to me. Play new games 5 days before they come out for a limited time, then buy them and pick up where you left off with your 10% discount, which will be $6USD, rofl. NO

http://www.ea.com/eaaccess/
    Well for EA, I wouldn't do this. Way too sports focused for my taste. There are a few games like Mirrors Edge and Dragon Age, but the vast majority or sports games that I personally have no interest in. And I expect that some of the games like Mirrors Edge and Dragon Age to possibly hit PS+.

If Ubi did this though, I'd have to give it some real thought. They've got a lot more content that's down my alley. About the only thing I could give a crap less in their upcoming PS4 games is Just Dance. Sure there are a couple like Rayman Legedends and Trial Fusion that I would never pay for, but would pick up and play at free time. Others like Far Cry, The Crew, Rainbow Siege, are all interesting, but would be in the $20-$30 bucket, but would wait for free and if I get one or two per year, the service would pay for itself. Toss in another 1-2 pre-orders per year (Watch Dogs and Assassin's Creed Unity this year.) That I can get 5 days early, sure I'd probably go for it.

The idea isn't bad, but the question is if the die-hard sports gamers will be into it? That's who EA would really sell this on. Those guys are nuts for pre-orders, and if you Knock off the price a bit, and give them a bit of early access to fine tune game mechanics before the rest of their friends. I could see a good number of people buying into. A large percentage of these people play almost nothing but sports games and that's not a small crowd. Keep in mind that many of these games usually outsell exclusives per console and you aggregate that over consoles and that > 10M per game on average.

Is that enough to sway new gamers to one console vs another? I think there will be some impact, but not major. I wonder how much it cost MS to opt-in to EA Access.

15. Likes Ezekiel likes this post
    Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    NYFAN75
    Correct me if I am wrong (I am sure a few on here will). But my understanding is that EA access is available without gold for the XBONE right?? But if you want to play multiplayer you have to have gold in order to do so correct??

So in other words you can play SINGLE player for 30 a year or 5 a month??

But if you want to play the multiplayer you have to fork an additional 60 for gold? So in reality you are paying $90

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by NYFAN75 View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong (I am sure a few on here will). But my understanding is that EA access is available without gold for the XBONE right?? But if you want to play multiplayer you have to have gold in order to do so correct??

So in other words you can play SINGLE player for 30 a year or 5 a month??

But if you want to play the multiplayer you have to fork an additional 60 for gold? So in reality you are paying $90
    That was my understanding, but that said, I don't think that's a deal breaker for those who want multiplayer.

You need PS+ on PS4 to play multiplayer on any games outside of F2P games and maybe one or two PS exclusives (i.e. you need it on all EA games.)

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    NYFAN75
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    That was my understanding, but that said, I don't think that's a deal breaker for those who want multiplayer.

You need PS+ on PS4 to play multiplayer on any games outside of F2P games and maybe one or two PS exclusives (i.e. you need it on all EA games.)
    Didn't think it would be a deal breaker but was just trying to to see a reason in it. You know I am looking at this and trying not to make it sound confrontational or fanboyish but however I put it it sounds like I am LOL.. I understand the multiplayer for PS4 having to pay that as well. I don't know it just seems like we as gamers are getting screwed left and right either way.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by NYFAN75 View Post
    Didn't think it would be a deal breaker but was just trying to to see a reason in it. You know I am looking at this and trying not to make it sound confrontational or fanboyish but however I put it it sounds like I am LOL.. I understand the multiplayer for PS4 having to pay that as well. I don't know it just seems like we as gamers are getting screwed left and right either way.
    I'd say the early days of XBL, yes it was a rip. You got nothing but ability to do online. They took a queue from Sony with the PS+ when PS+ started the IGC (Instant Game Collection.) This IMHO made it reasonable.

It's also why you didn't have a lot of people going Ape Sh!t when the PS4 required PS+ for online multiplayer.

Do I think PS+ is a better deal than XBL, sure but XBL isn't a bad deal, and I'd have it if I owned an XB1 (which I'm likely to get next year or two when some more exclusives come in.)

Not trying to be Fanboyish here either, just trying to make sure it's seen from all sides.

This is EA's deal not MS (though I'd be surprised if MS didn't have to cough up some money or potential royalties to support this and Sony said No.) And like I said, for EA, it wouldn't be worth it to me. For Ubi, it would probably be worth it to me. If I was a a major sports video game player, and I thought I'd be picking up a game or two for free for a year, plus the early play and $6 discount, then I'd be interested, but EA's line-up wouldn't do that for me personally - irrespective of what platform were to be supported.
    Last edited by TAZ427; 08-01-2014 at 22:14.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    NYFAN75
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    I'd say the early days of XBL, yes it was a rip. You got nothing but ability to do online. They took a queue from Sony with the PS+ when PS+ started the IGC (Instant Game Collection.) This IMHO made it reasonable.

It's also why you didn't have a lot of people going Ape Sh!t when the PS4 required PS+ for online multiplayer.

Do I think PS+ is a better deal than XBL, sure but XBL isn't a bad deal, and I'd have it if I owned an XB1 (which I'm likely to get next year or two when some more exclusives come in.)

Not trying to be Fanboyish here either, just trying to make sure it's seen from all sides.

This is EA's deal not MS (though I'd be surprised if MS didn't have to cough up some money or potential royalties to support this and Sony said No.) And like I said, for EA, it wouldn't be worth it to me. For Ubi, it would probably be worth it to me. If I was a a major sports video game player, and I thought I'd be picking up a game or two for free for a year, plus the early play and $6 discount, then I'd be interested, but EA's line-up wouldn't do that for me personally - irrespective of what platform were to be supported.
    I see your points and I do also try to look at all aspects of the situation. And I agree it does not attract me either to the EA Access as there are mainly sports. I have never been into sports games much. I did play some Madden back in the day and some NHL but nothing else. Battlefield intrigues me but I haven't heard things about BF4. As I have been away and unable to play anything till recently so I can't judge it myself.

But back on topic. If the figures are true about 9 million units SOLD then I would not see it as impossible for them to reach 10mil in August.

Master Guru
    I think Last Of Us will push it over 10 million & Destiny will push it somewhere around 11 million in the next month or so.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    7 million as of 1st April.
    They announced another 3.5 million Ps3/PS4 mix sales last quarter which finished 31st June.
    I would say yes more than likely 10 million sometime in August.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Unofficially - by vgchartz.

TLoU would have to triple console sales! I think they'll miss the mark barely. It's a pretty big achievement either way though!

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    So Gamescom is here, do we think 10 million will be announced at Sony's press conference?
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    ^Will miss the mark barely, you hear??
    Last edited by K2D; 08-11-2014 at 10:28.

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by K2D View Post
    It's a pretty big achievement either way though!
    Sure is, Sony themselves were quoted as predicting 10 million sold in April.... 2015!

http://ps4daily.com/2014/05/sony-exp...by-april-2015/

According to here -

http://www.insiderp.com/the-last-of-...y-1-sales.html

Sony are 100,000 units shy of 10 million sold as of August 2.
    So they may just miss the gamescom mark if true, or they may push an extra 100k just to say at Gamescom that they made it.

Master Guru
    I think the PS4 will definitely sell 10 million by the end of August. This is Sony's most successful machine yet and that's saying something considering how well the PS2 did. The PS4 is on track to shatter records.

Thread Information