Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk

Mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to go to park alone

“Didn’t think I was doing anything wrong:” Mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to go to park alone

Port St. Lucie, FL (WPTV) — A mom faces a charge of child neglect after she allowed her son to go to a park alone. She says he’s old enough but Port St. Lucie Police disagree. Now she’s fighting back.

“I’m totally dumbfounded by this whole situation,” says Nicole Gainey.

It began last Saturday afternoon when Gainey gave her son Dominic permission to walk from their house to Sportsman’s Park .

“Honestly didn’t think I was doing anything wrong,” says Gainey, “I was letting him go play.

It’s a half mile from their Port St. Lucie home. Dominic says it only takes him about 10 to 15 minutes to get there. During the walk, the 7-year-old passed a public pool. Someone there asked him where his mom was.

“They asked me a couple questions and I got scared so I ran off to the park and they called the cops,” says Dominic Guerrisi.

Dominic was playing at the park when an officer pulled up.

“They said ‘where does your mom live,’ ” says Dominic.

Police took him home. That’s when his mom was arrested and charged with child neglect. Gainey says she was shocked.

“My own bondsman said my parents would have been in jail every day,” says Gainey who paid nearly $4,000 to bond out.

The officer wrote in the report that Dominic was unsupervised at the park and that “numerous sex offenders reside in the vicinity.”

“He just basically kept going over that there’s pedophiles and this and that and basically the park wasn’t safe and he shouldn’t be there alone,” says Gainey.

She believes Dominic is mature enough to go to the park alone during the day. Gainey adds her son always has a cell phone which she calls to check on him.

“That I’m here and safe,” says Dominic.

Gainey plans to fight the felony charge. But after this she won’t let Dominic go to the park alone. She’s afraid she’ll be arrested again.

The St. Lucie County State’s Attorney’s office says there is no law that specifies how old a child has to be before he or she can go somewhere unsupervised. It’s done on a case-by-case basis.
    http://fox6now.com/2014/07/29/mother...to-park-alone/

Now shes facing charges for child neglect. Talk about taking it to the extreme..?

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Friendship is Carrots
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Letting her 7-year old go walking half a mile away is pretty stupid, honestly. But I wouldn't call it child neglect, nor do I think the mother deserved being arrested. It sounds like this had become a usual routine for them.

The officer kept quoting there being child predators around. Well, isn't it your job to keep the park safe? What's your job again?
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    There was a story a couple of years ago about a kids parents sending their child to the city on its own. They gave him/her some money for transit, a lunch and a mobile phone. This is the kind of parenting I'm talking about.

Of course, we would'nt send our children to some notoriously bad neightbourhood. I feel there is something about the story in this article thats been left untold.
    Last edited by K2D; 07-31-2014 at 02:34.

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    I was trying to think of when I was little and I'd go further than that from home but I was always with my older brother and mates so I guess its not the same.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    This day in age, I don't like my kids go unsupervised.

When I was pre-teen, and as a teenager, um, we went everywhere without supervision, for 5-10 hours a day. My parents would be in prison for life lol.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    Oh you USA. You so silly!

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    They should arrest the paedophiles that prowl the parks and not mothers that allow their kids to have fun in the park.

When I was 7 I was going about the same distances and probably further, I used to spend alot of time riding along the canals and rivers.
    Last edited by keefy; 07-30-2014 at 18:11.

8. Likes darky89 likes this post
    PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Pretty soon they'll start arresting and charging parents that drop off there kids at the airport to fly solo...$#@!ing country man

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    This day in age, I don't like my kids go unsupervised.

When I was pre-teen, and as a teenager, um, we went everywhere without supervision, for 5-10 hours a day. My parents would be in prison for life lol.
    Don't worry, soon we'll have GPS-trackers implants from the day we are born. Mandatory by law!

F34R, you're police..? What are your and your colleagues view on this?
    Last edited by K2D; 07-31-2014 at 02:37.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    That's incredibly stupid of her, but I don't think it warrants an arrest. It's sad when parents think this is okay to let their kids do. A lot of crazies out there.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.”

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    I was trying to think of when I was little and I'd go further than that from home but I was always with my older brother and mates so I guess its not the same.
    Pretty much the same with me. I must've been about 5 when I went to the park with my older brother and our friends, mind you he was only 8 at the time but there were at least 7 of us. The park we went to was a good mile away and we often stayed there all day.

El Presidente
    Why would any parent be that stupid? You let your kid walk around all by himself? He's got to have other friends or someone to go with. Don't care how mature you think the kid is or how safe you think the neighborhood is that is incredibly irresponsible but not worth an arrest.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    They should arrest the paedophiles that prowl the parks and not mothers that allow their kids to have fun in the park.

When I was 7 I was going about the same distances and probably further, I used to spend alot of time riding along the canals and rivers.
    Are you crazy!?!?! Paedophiles are angels. Mothers are terrorists. They're definitely arresting the right people.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Forum Overseer
    what's more $#@!ed up is that americans don't realize what their country is becoming or maybe it was like this and i didn't realize it. i can positively say that a good chunk of the rest of the world (not talking about countries that are also high in crime rate due to drugs/arms smuggling) are much safer when it comes to children playing outside. myself growing up, we looked out for everyone around us, we knew who was who and which kid was from which family. who were their brothers/sisters, heck even their distant relatives at times.

so it was relatively safe because everyone is watching over, everyone is a witness and the crime wasn't high anyway.

it's sad to see people feeling afraid about everything and i don't blame them, i wouldn't let my kid out either and i wish i could live somewhere where i didn't have to be afraid. i think the problem mostly is that people don't come out in most places...they only come out for designated places (parks/playgrounds) where you'd have a parent/guardian present anwyay.

go to any other culture (non-western) and you'll see more people outside, kids including. i would think it also kept people more in touch with reality, more sane. living my life here without any interaction from others, you sometimes sort of get stuck in a routine. it's not healthy. i hope the best for this nation but anything i ever look into, it's horrifying for me what's happening here.

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    What was so important in her life that she couldn't have taken her child to the park and played with them??

Probably too busy on facebook

Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar View Post
    what's more $#@!ed up is that americans don't realize what their country is becoming or maybe it was like this and i didn't realize it. i can positively say that a good chunk of the rest of the world (not talking about countries that are also high in crime rate due to drugs/arms smuggling) are much safer when it comes to children playing outside. myself growing up, we looked out for everyone around us, we knew who was who and which kid was from which family. who were their brothers/sisters, heck even their distant relatives at times.

so it was relatively safe because everyone is watching over, everyone is a witness and the crime wasn't high anyway.

it's sad to see people feeling afraid about everything and i don't blame them, i wouldn't let my kid out either and i wish i could live somewhere where i didn't have to be afraid. i think the problem mostly is that people don't come out in most places...they only come out for designated places (parks/playgrounds) where you'd have a parent/guardian present anwyay.

go to any other culture (non-western) and you'll see more people outside, kids including. i would think it also kept people more in touch with reality, more sane. living my life here without any interaction from others, you sometimes sort of get stuck in a routine. it's not healthy. i hope the best for this nation but anything i ever look into, it's horrifying for me what's happening here.
    Dont worry omar, america cant stay a 3rd world country forever!

Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by -Shafty- View Post
    Dont worry omar, america cant stay a 3rd world country forever!

it might as well be! i'm already sick of diversity lol. but the money is good.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by -Shafty- View Post
    What was so important in her life that she couldn't have taken her child to the park and played with them??

Probably too busy on facebook
    Sadly, that could easily be a possibility these days.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.”

Forum Overseer
    it's not that easy, i think it's crazy what she did but it can be sometimes extremely difficult to take your kids out. we would have to know the situation first. firstly, i'd say that we should know the information as far as who else was at the park and what sort of area it is. but yeah, it's still dangerous regardless. not unless you knew the people that were at the park watching over.

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post

Why arrest the pedophiles? The responsibility of the child should fall on the parents. I think it's child neglect to let a seven year old walk that far unsupervised. Of course, if the pedophile is caught beyond reasonable doubt to have committed a crime against a child, he/she should be arrested but he/she shouldn't be arrested for simply existing and being in a particular area.

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    Why arrest the pedophiles? The responsibility of the child should fall on the parents. I think it's child neglect to let a seven year old walk that far unsupervised. Of course, if the pedophile is caught beyond reasonable doubt to have committed a crime against a child, he/she should be arrested but he/she shouldn't be arrested for simply existing and being in a particular area.
    Paedophiles are just wrong and they should all be locked up full stop. The fact of them not abusing someone doesnt stop them pandering to the idea of it which is just as bad imo!

Forum Overseer
    so we know there was a pedophile there? i really should read the articles lol.

Forum Overseer
    ok so they were in the vicinity, which doesn't make sense to begin with. why are they letting pedos around public pools (where usually children go) and schools (where children/kids go).

scratching my head.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    The article made it sound as though the cops were doing the child and the mother a favour because there are paedophiles operating in the area so in some weird messed up logic of theirs it makes sense to send a child home and then arrest his mother and charge her with neglect rather than to remove any paedophiles from children's play areas.
    Last edited by keefy; 07-31-2014 at 18:11.

Forum Overseer
    yes but at the same time, i would also not send my 7 year old somewhere without some sort of supervision from people that i can trust.

the rate of crime in america is fairly high and even in safe areas, you can't just drop your guard.

Thread Information