Page 1 of 7 1 ... LastLast
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot

Getting PS4 on Monday - revisiting my DD vs Disc stance

So finally the time has come for me to leave my PeasantStation 3 behind and move on to better days. I've managed fine because I've been balls deep in FFXIV for the last year and up until recently it hasn't struggled THAT much to keep up but new content is starting to show the PS3's ailing ability to offer a satisfactory experience.

Anyway, I'm really stoked because I can now play FFXIV on the go with my Vita via remote play. As I thought about remote play I came to the conclusion that my beloved physical media will stunt the true awesomeness of RP as only the digital parts of my collection will be playable. This led me to the swift decision to jump on the digital bandwagon and forgo physical media.

If you had asked me 2 years ago if I'll ever subscribe to a payed MMO and go digital only I'd have pimp slapped you but times change n people change and so on. Somehow FFXIV satiates whatever I got from amassing game boxes I guess.

Anyway, any of you PS4/Vita owners found yourselves changing your point of view for similar reasons?

2. Likes darky89 likes this post
    Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Remote play from PS4 to Vita doesn't need digital versions of games though? Unless you're talking about being away from your PS4 for a long time and needing to like swap discs for PS4 games

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War

I own 1 retail game now which stays in the drive. Rest are digital purely for remote play reasons, however I did only buy digitally when there was offers on PSN or offers on the top up cards to make the games cheaper.
    I remote play a lot whether at home or away so always nice to have a selection to choose from rather than being tied to what is in the system
    Last edited by GazzaGSi; 08-02-2014 at 15:20.

5. Likes F34R likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by GazzaGSi View Post
    I own 1 retail game now which stays in the drive. Rest are digital purely for remote play reasons, however I did only buy digitally when there was offers on PSN or offers on the top up cards to make the games cheaper.
    I remote play a lot whether at home or away so always nice to have a selection to choose from rather than being tied to what is in the system
    I've been considering dd for this very same reason.

7. Likes GazzaGSi likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    Wait, you can use it outside the house as well? :l

I haven't changed my idea a single bit to be honest, I'm a huge fan of physical copies and I'll always be. I love collecting them and see my shelves get filled with games/movies/series. I try NOT to buy any digital games, but since I'm a PS+ user, I'll still download those games. If it's really worth it, I'll pay for it later when it's cheaper.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    vinny_pizza79
    If you DD, upgrade that drive. I have a mix of digital and physical and if I kept the 500GB in there, I'd pretty much be full. I hate having to delete to make room and reinstall when I want to play again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    Remote play from PS4 to Vita doesn't need digital versions of games though? Unless you're talking about being away from your PS4 for a long time and needing to like swap discs for PS4 games
    Gazza pretty much mirroerd my sentiments; with dd I have my whole collection at my RP disposal where as with discs I have to choose what I have access to. Remote play really comes a live when you adopt the dd model it seems. The time has come where the practical reasons for DD far outweigh the notion of having a box to put in my shelf. No disc swapping at home, access to my entire library away from home.

11. Likes GazzaGSi likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    I originally was going to go disc only, but after the system came out and knowing how I lost interest in games because they get put back on the shelf I decided to go digital this gen. So far it has been good, and I find myself jumping around and playing different games depending on the mood I am in since they are now at my fingertips! I am also glad I went digital for when the PlayStation TV comes out I definitely plan on getting one making it very easy for me to stream all my games to it!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Veteran

As well as remote play its also a lot easier when joining a friends game. I tend to browse what people in my friends list are playing and just click join game without the need of thinking about what disc is in.

Whether they be mid way through a round of Extinction in CoD Ghosts, a round of Conquest in BF4 or in a match on a Killzone in a Warzone, I can just click join and 20 seconds later I'm in their game or on their server if it's not full but it tells you in the friends list if the server is full or not anyway.

It's such a hassle free smooth experience without having to get out the chair that I'll pay the extra for the convenience! Although not stupidly amounts extra

Quote Originally Posted by WaxWeazle View Post
    Wait, you can use it outside the house as well? :l
    I've used it through teathering to my 4G connection via hotspot on my mobile and it's been spot on as well as at my bros via his wifi.

The big test will be next week, I live in the midlands, England and travelling to Madrid on Monday with work for afew days. Hotel has free wifi so going to try remote play out there too. Hopefully their internet isn't too bad will certainly be interesting to say the least
    Last edited by GazzaGSi; 08-02-2014 at 17:48.

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    As well as remote play its also a lot easier when joining a friends game. I tend to browse what people in my friends list are playing and just click join game without the need of thinking about what disc is in.

Whether they be mid way through a round of Extinction in CoD Ghosts, a round of Conquest in BF4 or in a match on a Killzone in a Warzone, I can just click join and 20 seconds later I'm in their game or on their server if it's not full but it tells you in the friends list if the server is full or not anyway.

It's such a hassle free smooth experience without having to get out the chair that I'll pay the extra for the convenience! Although not stupidly amounts extra

I've used it through teathering to my 4G connection via hotspot on my mobile and it's been spot on as well as at my bros via his wifi.

The big test will be next week, I live in the midlands, England and travelling to Madrid on Monday with work for afew days. Hotel has free wifi so going to try remote play out there too. Hopefully their internet isn't too bad will certainly be interesting to say the least
    Their internet will be shocking. They always are.

​aka Sparc

Entropy isn't what it used be

Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    It all sounds pretty great for you guys with decently priced PSN downloads and good interenet speeds out of home haha. Here I am struggling to get 1/2 a mb/s on my mobile

Dedicated Member
    Yeah, put in the Seagate M9T/Samsung M9T drive, 2TB model.
    Sleeping very soundly on a Saturday morning I was dreaming
    I was Al Capone
    There's a rumour going round, gotta clear outta town
    I'm smelling like a dry fish bone
    Here come the Law, gonna break down the door, gonna carry me
    away once more
    Never, never, never get it any more
    Gotta get away from this stone cold floor
    Crazy
    Stone cold crazy, you know

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by TidalPhoenix View Post
    Their internet will be shocking. They always are.
    Most likely but worth a shot.
    Out of all the places I've stayed the Premiere Inns have been the best for wifi connectivity/remote play.

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Most likely but worth a shot.
    Out of all the places I've stayed the Premiere Inns have been the best for wifi connectivity/remote play.
    yeah worth a try man, let us know how you get on

Super Elite
    Im a big fan of digital, haven't bought a game on disc this gen.
    The flexibility and convenience factor works for me, probably will never buy another game on optical disc since it will eventually go the way of the dinosaur.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    I only have Madden and BF4 as disc games. The rest are digital.

Not for remote play purposes, though. But for convenience.

I upgraded to 1TB at launch. I think that should be the minimum for this gen.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Why didn't either Sony or MS go with the 3.5 drives, they are cheaper and offer greater capacity.

Master Sage
    I originally bought KZ and Knack on disc when I first got my PS4 but since then I have traded those in and now have only digital games.

They are surprisingly cheaper here in Oz and the convenience of never having to deal with disc changing again was just too good to pass up.

The only thing discs really offer these days are trade-in value but I feel absolutely ripped off every time I do it. Just not worth the hassle.

Apprentice

Some of you guys are cracking me up right now. Not getting up out of your chair to change a disc or swapping discs from one physical copy to the next. It reminds me of one of those late night sales commercials where the actors are trying to show how hard something is. my favorite one so far is the one where the guy sticks a q tip in his ear and screams OWW!! when he sticks the q-tip in his ear.

Anyway. I am not a fan of digital only. Physical copies will always be around as long as the movie industry has anything to say about it. Ill stop buying stuff If it only has digital. Not everybody has capable internet, sometimes if you want to download a game the service may be down or undergoing repairs, it could be storming and/or a lightning storm and then while you are trying to download something the power goes out and messes up something at the time you tried to download, the systems aren't made like they used to be and something could go wrong with your system that prevents you from accessing your game because it may be on too many consoles or whatever else stupid reason you couldn't access the game. It isn't like you own it like you would with a physical copy, you cant trade it if that's your thing, you cant let as many buddies as you want try it out, its like if you go digital you are leasing your games and not buying them to own. if your system breaks then yeah theoretically you could get it re downloaded on a new system but I believe there are restrictions to how many systems that can be done on, and that I B.S. so that is why I don't think digital is a valid option. My tv is literally 7 feet away from me, I think I can get up and change out a disc if I want to play something else with no problem. swapping discs is not a problem for me at all. Ive done it all my life as long as I have discovered video games and it is one of the most non laborious things to do on the face of the planet. Digital is a good idea but I cant justify digital only. give me physical any day.

24. Likes thanatos144, Ezekiel likes this post
    Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    And how often do you get up, walk over to the TV and change its channel by hand rather than using its remote?

​aka Sparc

26. Likes F34R , MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Apprentice

HAHA that is in no way close to the same thing. A better comparison would have been how often do I get up to change a movie I am done watching to a movie I want to watch. And the answer to that question would be when the movie is done. Everybody changes channels way more than games. There is no way anybody could change playing games out that fast unless they have an attention span of a gnat. That's part of the reason women hate it when guys get the remote because we change the channels a lot. I don't walk around the house with a remote in my hand so if im closer to the tv than the remote, ill use the one im closest to. And if I know there is something on tv that I want to watch and I cant find the remote, ill get up, and change it to that channel. Like I said, its like 7 feet a way from me. Not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by TidalPhoenix View Post
    And how often do you get up, walk over to the TV and change its channel by hand rather than using its remote?

Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    I originally bought KZ and Knack on disc when I first got my PS4 but since then I have traded those in and now have only digital games.

They are surprisingly cheaper here in Oz and the convenience of never having to deal with disc changing again was just too good to pass up.

The only thing discs really offer these days are trade-in value but I feel absolutely ripped off every time I do it. Just not worth the hassle.
    Digital games? huh??

$99PSN or $79 JBHIFI? Unless you have a US PSN, probs a good idea lol

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    Digital games? huh??

$99PSN or $79 JBHIFI? Unless you have a US PSN, probs a good idea lol
    Example

PSN: Last of Us $62.95
    https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwo...ELASTOFUS00000

JB Hifi: $74.00
    https://www.jbhifi.com.au/games-cons...stered/535636/

inFamous SS also had a $10-$20 difference when it had released.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Disgustipated View Post
    Some of you guys are cracking me up right now. Not getting up out of your chair to change a disc or swapping discs from one physical copy to the next. It reminds me of one of those late night sales commercials where the actors are trying to show how hard something is. my favorite one so far is the one where the guy sticks a q tip in his ear and screams OWW!! when he sticks the q-tip in his ear.

Anyway. I am not a fan of digital only. Physical copies will always be around as long as the movie industry has anything to say about it. Ill stop buying stuff If it only has digital. Not everybody has capable internet, sometimes if you want to download a game the service may be down or undergoing repairs, it could be storming and/or a lightning storm and then while you are trying to download something the power goes out and messes up something at the time you tried to download, the systems aren't made like they used to be and something could go wrong with your system that prevents you from accessing your game because it may be on too many consoles or whatever else stupid reason you couldn't access the game. It isn't like you own it like you would with a physical copy, you cant trade it if that's your thing, you cant let as many buddies as you want try it out, its like if you go digital you are leasing your games and not buying them to own. if your system breaks then yeah theoretically you could get it re downloaded on a new system but I believe there are restrictions to how many systems that can be done on, and that I B.S. so that is why I don't think digital is a valid option. My tv is literally 7 feet away from me, I think I can get up and change out a disc if I want to play something else with no problem. swapping discs is not a problem for me at all. Ive done it all my life as long as I have discovered video games and it is one of the most non laborious things to do on the face of the planet. Digital is a good idea but I cant justify digital only. give me physical any day.
    Just because you have $#@!ty internet doesn't mean everywhere else does. You got $#@! internet thats not my fault or problem.

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Disgustipated View Post
    HAHA that is in no way close to the same thing. A better comparison would have been how often do I get up to change a movie I am done watching to a movie I want to watch. And the answer to that question would be when the movie is done. Everybody changes channels way more than games. There is no way anybody could change playing games out that fast unless they have an attention span of a gnat. That's part of the reason women hate it when guys get the remote because we change the channels a lot. I don't walk around the house with a remote in my hand so if im closer to the tv than the remote, ill use the one im closest to. And if I know there is something on tv that I want to watch and I cant find the remote, ill get up, and change it to that channel. Like I said, its like 7 feet a way from me. Not a big deal.
    We're not all in rooms with our TVs 7 feet away. The convenience of changing a game in less than 10 seconds from the dashboard, far outweighs having to eject, put in its case, get up, walk over to where you keep your games, decide what you're going to play next, put one case back, get another out, take out the disk, put it into your console and wait for it to spin up and load.

It's not life or death here, but you can never argue that one way is not vastly more convenient than the other.

As for your internet connection speed. Don't see you complaining that betas, demos, DLCs (often which can be huge) or games that only come on DD (War Thunder, etc) are causing you a huge amount of grief. And if they are then you that's something you'll have to deal with. My internet connection is just dandy thank you.

​aka Sparc

32. Likes F34R , MonkeyClaw likes this post

Thread Information