Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    Example

PSN: Last of Us $62.95
    https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwo...ELASTOFUS00000

JB Hifi: $74.00
    https://www.jbhifi.com.au/games-cons...stered/535636/

inFamous SS also had a $10-$20 difference when it had released.
    Oh wow that's the first I've seen. Cool stuff. Sorry to derail ><

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Just because you have $#@!ty internet doesn't mean everywhere else does. You got $#@! internet thats not my fault or problem.
    Whoa, Whoa!! Who pissed in your cereal homeboy? Now ur putting words In my mouth. I don't recall saying anything about me having a bad Internet. I certainly didn't accuse u of giving anyone bad Internet. I said SOME people may not have good Internet. And as far as it being your problem, I don't recall saying that either. I'm confused because I wasn't under the impression the world revolved around u. Best for u to go and cool off and come back when u can handle the Internet mate.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by TidalPhoenix View Post
    We're not all in rooms with our TVs 7 feet away. The convenience of changing a game in less than 10 seconds from the dashboard, far outweighs having to eject, put in its case, get up, walk over to where you keep your games, decide what you're going to play next, put one case back, get another out, take out the disk, put it into your console and wait for it to spin up and load.

It's not life or death here, but you can never argue that one way is not vastly more convenient than the other.

As for your internet connection speed. Don't see you complaining that betas, demos, DLCs (often which can be huge) or games that only come on DD (War Thunder, etc) are causing you a huge amount of grief. And if they are then you that's something you'll have to deal with. My internet connection is just dandy thank you.
    I'm not arguing that it can't be faster than swapping discs but u can't tell me that u change out games faster than u change channels on a tv. If u did then how do u even get to enjoy the games u play? And again, i didn't say "I" have a bad Internet connection. I said " some may" . I'm glad u have a good
    Internet connection. Now I can blissfully go about my day. I don't download beta anything or download demos. If there was ever a case where I did get a demo then if I liked the game I would delete the demo and go but a physical copy if a physical copy wasn't available then depending on my level of interest I may download it. But I will never go digital only. It's just not for me. I don't even use Netflix or anything. I just like physical.
    Last edited by Disgustipated; 08-04-2014 at 18:47. Reason: Forgot to mention something.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    I'm will to buy DD if and only if, I can get it cheaper than a physical copy. And to this point, I've always been able to get games at or below DD prices via physical copies. PS+ IGC excluded, I have a large DD collection on PS3, PS Vita and PS4 is growing, but I haven't paid for many of those (a couple PSN games that I couldn't get physical copies for.)

I do enjoy the not needing to toss a game in the console to switch games, but I general will play a game for extended periods of time without switching games, so it's not really an issue for me.

I like being able to lend out a game to a friend.

ISP speeds isn't an issue for me, but I'm old school and like my physical copies.

As mentioned, I don't foresee a game console coming out that's DD only (possibly a variant might be made - like the PSP Go was.) The biggest reason being that the console developers don't want to leave money on the table, and that's what's going to happen if they ever do.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    So finally the time has come for me to leave my PeasantStation 3 behind and move on to better days.
    yes, very peasantish.

Anyway, I'm really stoked because I can now play FFXIV on the go with my Vita via remote play.
    that's the peasant in you speaking again.

Forum Sage

Just because you have $#@!ty internet doesn't mean everywhere else does. You got $#@! internet thats not my fault or problem.
    No need to act like an ass about it. And you're making a lot of assumptions of which you've no right to make. So, why not try to be a little more civil.

Anyway and onward to the topic at hand. I fully understand why people would go digital only. I myself, would never do so. I like exercising my right to ownership of a product I purchase far more than any "convenience" offered to me by going digital. Now that's just my opinion. Like or not, it doesn't require anyone to act like an ass about it just because someone doesn't share the same opinion as you.

Forum Overseer
    they really need to let us install our games. that's the only thing i don't like about physical discs and we all know they want us to think of installs as a positive feature only possible with DD.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar View Post
    they really need to let us install our games. that's the only thing i don't like about physical discs and we all know they want us to think of installs as a positive feature only possible with DD.
    I thought the games installed fully and only use the physical discs for authentication? Am I wrong?!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    vinny_pizza79
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    I'm will to buy DD if and only if, I can get it cheaper than a physical copy.
    This is my thought exactly. That guy Boogie2988 on you tube had a good rant for this. If companies are saving money on not having to supply a physical copy, they should provide the incentive of a cheaper game since there is no trade in value of DD.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    All games fully install from the disc. Being able to play them without the disc is not going to happen. They could easily make a scratch off code that locks the game to your account. Players who scratch the code can't sell the game. Easy solution to the problem(I thought MS was going to do this after the reversal on drm) But I guess that's getting too close with drm issues that gamers were in an uproar against.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    All games fully install from the disc. Being able to play them without the disc is not going to happen. They could easily make a scratch off code that locks the game to your account. Players who scratch the code can't sell the game. Easy solution to the problem(I thought MS was going to do this after the reversal on drm) But I guess that's getting too close with drm issues that gamers were in an uproar against.
    Kind of like the PC days of the "play disc" god it was annoying clicking the desktop icon then a popup says "insert PLAY disc" then having to rummage around for the correct CD, which often the "play" disc wasn't labelled as "play" and just disc 1, 2, 3, respectively (ahem Ubisoft) and it was either #1 or #3, you had to guess.

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by Disgustipated View Post
    Some of you guys are cracking me up right now. Not getting up out of your chair to change a disc or swapping discs from one physical copy to the next. It reminds me of one of those late night sales commercials where the actors are trying to show how hard something is. my favorite one so far is the one where the guy sticks a q tip in his ear and screams OWW!! when he sticks the q-tip in his ear.

Anyway. I am not a fan of digital only. Physical copies will always be around as long as the movie industry has anything to say about it. Ill stop buying stuff If it only has digital. Not everybody has capable internet, sometimes if you want to download a game the service may be down or undergoing repairs, it could be storming and/or a lightning storm and then while you are trying to download something the power goes out and messes up something at the time you tried to download, the systems aren't made like they used to be and something could go wrong with your system that prevents you from accessing your game because it may be on too many consoles or whatever else stupid reason you couldn't access the game. It isn't like you own it like you would with a physical copy, you cant trade it if that's your thing, you cant let as many buddies as you want try it out, its like if you go digital you are leasing your games and not buying them to own. if your system breaks then yeah theoretically you could get it re downloaded on a new system but I believe there are restrictions to how many systems that can be done on, and that I B.S. so that is why I don't think digital is a valid option. My tv is literally 7 feet away from me, I think I can get up and change out a disc if I want to play something else with no problem. swapping discs is not a problem for me at all. Ive done it all my life as long as I have discovered video games and it is one of the most non laborious things to do on the face of the planet. Digital is a good idea but I cant justify digital only. give me physical any day.
    To me it's all about versatility and convenience, just like listening to music, pulling out a CD case, taking the CD out to put in a tray, waiting for the songs to load up.
    Why would i do that when everything is available with a few clicks?

The possibilitys with digital are exciting, once it takes hold and becomes more popular, things like subscription services and sharing plans can be implemented to cover all the bases.

If you prefer optical disc, you'll be fine this gen, but check back in 5 years, i bet the attitudes will have changed about digital for most gamers, it's just natural progress.
    Last edited by Silver&black_Attack; 08-05-2014 at 00:21.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Some of you guys are cracking me up right now. Not getting up out of your chair to change a disc or swapping discs from one physical copy to the next. It reminds me of one of those late night sales commercials where the actors are trying to show how hard something is. my favorite one so far is the one where the guy sticks a q tip in his ear and screams OWW!! when he sticks the q-tip in his ear.

Anyway. I am not a fan of digital only. Physical copies will always be around as long as the movie industry has anything to say about it. Ill stop buying stuff If it only has digital. Not everybody has capable internet, sometimes if you want to download a game the service may be down or undergoing repairs, it could be storming and/or a lightning storm and then while you are trying to download something the power goes out and messes up something at the time you tried to download, the systems aren't made like they used to be and something could go wrong with your system that prevents you from accessing your game because it may be on too many consoles or whatever else stupid reason you couldn't access the game. It isn't like you own it like you would with a physical copy, you cant trade it if that's your thing, you cant let as many buddies as you want try it out, its like if you go digital you are leasing your games and not buying them to own. if your system breaks then yeah theoretically you could get it re downloaded on a new system but I believe there are restrictions to how many systems that can be done on, and that I B.S. so that is why I don't think digital is a valid option. My tv is literally 7 feet away from me, I think I can get up and change out a disc if I want to play something else with no problem. swapping discs is not a problem for me at all. Ive done it all my life as long as I have discovered video games and it is one of the most non laborious things to do on the face of the planet. Digital is a good idea but I cant justify digital only. give me physical any day.
    You're being condescending because people prefer convenience? If you have your own reasons, then so be it. But don't come in here sounding like that, and continuing to argue your preference as better. Especially when those with digital content aren't saying there's anything wrong with those that prefer physical.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    vinny_pizza79
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver&black_Attack View Post
    If you prefer optical disc, you'll be fine this gen, but check back in 5 years, i bet the attitudes will have changed about digital for most gamers, it's just natural progress.
    But again, hopefully they eventually make it worth it to the gamers. For now, only the gaming companies are making out charging the same price with no true sharing option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    I thought the games installed fully and only use the physical discs for authentication? Am I wrong?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    i didn't know they fully installed.

Ultimate Veteran
    Go with retail games dd take for ever to download.

Apprentice

I don't argue that its super convenient, but I just don't think that the game industry can make the movie industry go digital only. You run into other problems with subscription based services too, such as rising prices. AND take into account the whole net neutrality thing and it could lead to some other issues down the road. There is nothing wrong with variety but to do it one way only is not going to be a good idea at all. Options are better, I just prefer a physical copy. I just think a lot of reasons people give for going all gung ho for digital only is a little ridic. I don't change out my games that im playing that often enough because im usually immersed in it.

Apprentice

how dare you accuse me of patronizing superiority!! take a chill pill. its only the internet. I didn't say there was anything wrong with their right to decide if they want to choose to go digital only. I just had an opinion on why its not the best idea and there are potential problems for people to think about. If you require an apology old chap, them im sorry you are so sensitive.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    The price is the one thing that irks me about DD. I like MMO type games because they last way longer than retail games (generally speaking) and keep me occupied while prices drop but DD prices only drop during sales. Still, paying for the convienice of no disc swapping and the ability to have my DD game library available out of home is enticing. I may do both, getting retail copies of games I don't intend to play remotely.

Also, Omar, what's peasantish about playing mah game on the go yo?

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    But I will never go digital only. It's just not for me. I don't even use Netflix or anything. I just like physical.
    Great. I can blissfully go about my day with that modicum of knowledge (you may recognise that phrase perhaps).

To be honest, I don't care whether you go digital or remain playing your console on your 24" B&W CRT TV while listening to cassettes. If that's what floats your boat - fill your boots.

Me, and the majority of the rest of the technology-embracing world, are going to be edging ever toward the DD world.

@Ghost - I 100% agree - the only, literally only, thing stopping me going completely DD is the pricing. They do need to address that.

​aka Sparc

Entropy isn't what it used be

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Also, Omar, what's peasantish about playing mah game on the go yo?
    i mean who plays PS4 games on a tiny ass screen lol.

22. Likes Ghost likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    lets get physical, physical, I wanna get physical!

Forum Overseer
    lets get physical, physical, I wanna get physical!
    go home chap, yer drunk

Supreme Veteran
    go home chap, yer drunk
    Oh for a minute I thought we were stuck in the past with all the mentionings of CRT and disc versions of games and slow internets.

Would people be willing to adopt the system MS was wanting from the start?
    Buy a game on disc install it and register to your account and not need the disc again?

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by TidalPhoenix View Post
    @Ghost - I 100% agree - the only, literally only, thing stopping me going completely DD is the pricing. They do need to address that.
    i would get used to it because it seems like their pricing strategy is here to stay. we are getting a lot more DD deals than we ever did but it won't solve the issue that new games are too expensive and you can't change your mind and sell your game for like $45-$50 right after launch disappointment.

reason is because they must have enough sales in the beginning that give them 2x the profits and they are happy skimming off the top, it's a business strategy, they know it's unfair but SOMEONE is buying them.

and that's worth it to them. i think even steam doesn't sell you games cheaper than their physical counterparts, it just works the way it is.

Thread Information