Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by TidalPhoenix View Post
    Great. I can blissfully go about my day with that modicum of knowledge (you may recognise that phrase perhaps).

To be honest, I don't care whether you go digital or remain playing your console on your 24" B&W CRT TV while listening to cassettes. If that's what floats your boat - fill your boots.

Me, and the majority of the rest of the technology-embracing world, are going to be edging ever toward the DD world.

@Ghost - I 100% agree - the only, literally only, thing stopping me going completely DD is the pricing. They do need to address that.
    Take it easy homes. U don't care that I don't 100% agree with digital? ...and yet u cared enough to make me aware of that? I'm so utterly great full for that useless bit of info. If the majority here likes digital that's their thing but even though its easier its not 100 percent perfect and there are potential flaws. I just think its important to make aware of those potential problems so people can make a more informed decision. And along the way I give my opinion and expertise. Because as u know this is the Internet and we are all experts here.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver&black_Attack View Post
    To me it's all about versatility and convenience, just like listening to music, pulling out a CD case, taking the CD out to put in a tray, waiting for the songs to load up.
    Why would i do that when everything is available with a few clicks?
    If you are a sucker for sound quality, a compact disc still sounds better than digital. And i'd know because i do both, i shuffle between an ipod or a go gear or a sansa and then back to cd, no doubt the cd provides the richest sound field. The convenience argument given in favor of digital is true, but personally i think it is a little overdone. I mean how many times do you have to swap a disc, if you are watching a movie, you'd only have to do it after you have completed watching the movie, if you're listening to a cd record, you'd only do it after you have completed hearing it. It's not like you are swapping discs every fifteen minutes. I guess i'm just used to swapping discs over all these years, and i don't see the issue in swapping them now, it's just the same way like in the past.

Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    ??? if the actual bitrate is the same on both CD version of the song and the digital then it should not sound any different. your methods of testing out sound is inaccurate because you're testing out two completely different sorts of files that may not have similar quality of sound.

second, it is definitely underrated how convenient it can be having digital content over disc...especially if you have children that utilize them.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by vinny_pizza79 View Post
    This is my thought exactly. That guy Boogie2988 on you tube had a good rant for this. If companies are saving money on not having to supply a physical copy, they should provide the incentive of a cheaper game since there is no trade in value of DD.
    Gotta love Boogie.

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    Go with retail games dd take for ever to download.
    That's not an issue for me personally, especially not with the ability to pre-load games and manage downloads remotely. I get all my PS+ games while sitting at work and DL them while I'm at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Omar View Post
    i would get used to it because it seems like their pricing strategy is here to stay. we are getting a lot more DD deals than we ever did but it won't solve the issue that new games are too expensive and you can't change your mind and sell your game for like $45-$50 right after launch disappointment.

reason is because they must have enough sales in the beginning that give them 2x the profits and they are happy skimming off the top, it's a business strategy, they know it's unfair but SOMEONE is buying them.

and that's worth it to them. i think even steam doesn't sell you games cheaper than their physical counterparts, it just works the way it is.
    Yeah, I haven't been holding my breath on them doing major sales like Steam does. If they did I can guaranty that I'd be making more DD purchase on console.

For me, all the PC games purchase over the past couple years have been DD. But none of the readily available Console Games (PS+ Freeby purchases excluded) have I purchased DD (PSN games are not readily available in physical format.)

I'll continue to buy whichever is the least expensive, and if it's a wash, I'll go physical media because as mentioned. If I think it's total crap, I can turn around and re-sell it.

Omar, to your point about Disc based games being installed. As mentioned they are installed. The physical media is just a check. Otherwise you'd have everyone playing off of one purchased copy gamesharing in clubs w/o some sort of DRM protection. DRM protection is worse, as you wouldn't be able to sell/swap/share your game.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
    If you are a sucker for sound quality, a compact disc still sounds better than digital. And i'd know because i do both, i shuffle between an ipod or a go gear or a sansa and then back to cd, no doubt the cd provides the richest sound field. The convenience argument given in favor of digital is true, but personally i think it is a little overdone. I mean how many times do you have to swap a disc, if you are watching a movie, you'd only have to do it after you have completed watching the movie, if you're listening to a cd record, you'd only do it after you have completed hearing it. It's not like you are swapping discs every fifteen minutes. I guess i'm just used to swapping discs over all these years, and i don't see the issue in swapping them now, it's just the same way like in the past.
    Compact discs are digital the logo tells you this. Just uncompressed digital, mp3 is compressed thats why its lower quality.
    Some games have uncompressed sound, Metal Gear 4 and Titanfall on PC both have uncompressed audio.
    Last edited by keefy; 08-05-2014 at 18:36.

Dedicated Member
    ??? if the actual bitrate is the same on both CD version of the song and the digital then it should not sound any different. your methods of testing out sound is inaccurate because you're testing out two completely different sorts of files that may not have similar quality of sound.

second, it is definitely underrated how convenient it can be having digital content over disc...especially if you have children that utilize them.
    a cd bitrate is uncompressed 1411.2 kbps, digital music can be compressed or uncompressed, but the cd still provides the richest sound field if you go on comparing two same songs. And this is not my testings only, go to an audio dedicated forum like hydrogenaudio and most people will tell you the same. Digital sounds good, well ripped stuff can sound very good too, but the fact is a cd would sound a little better, if you compare it down to the last sound parameter.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Compact discs are digital. Just uncompressed digital, mp3 is compressed.
    yes a compact disc is digital audio. but when i was using the word digital in that post, i was using in the sense of physical vs non physical.

Forum Overseer
    so you're telling me that if you take the same songs with the same bitrate, it sounds worse in digital media form? i don't know why that would be. now if you're saying there generally digital media doesn't come in high bit rate as you stated then that's a separate issue and not of the actual media. as far as i know, there's no limitation on digital media, i'd probably think there was actually one on CDs because they have limited space.

Dedicated Member
    so you're telling me that if you take the same songs with the same bitrate, it sounds worse in digital media form? i don't know why that would be. now if you're saying there generally digital media doesn't come in high bit rate as you stated then that's a separate issue and not of the actual media. as far as i know, there's no limitation on digital media, i'd probably think there was actually one on CDs because they have limited space.
    If you had to rip in precisely the same bitrate as cd, you'd have to rip as waveform. even flac is not the same bitrate as cd. my go gear allows flac playback but to me the cd sounds a little better. it's not a big difference, and if you're a casual listener you probably won't even make out. But to a discerning audiophile, the difference will be there, no matter even it isn't big. This same quality argument can also be given in terms of video, take a 1080p netflix stream of a movie and compare to the same movie on blu-ray, the blu-ray will look a little better.

Forum Overseer
    ok the problem there is that you aren't ripping it uncompressed. that's not the problem of digital media. that's just the way you're ripping them.

your example is perfect, you're comparing an uncompressed video to a compressed netflix video. both of which can be ripped uncompressed. the issues are the tools you're using, not the media.

Dedicated Member
    The majority of digital stuff that you'll find out there will not be totally uncompressed, you won't see paid audio or video services offering totally uncompressed stuff either. Massive file sizes is one reason why compressed mp3 cbr 320 is largely the standard with digital music. With uncompressed video, you'd be looking at way bigger sizes than even uncompressed music.

And btw, i wasn't comparing an uncompressed video to netflix, if you're under the impression that blu-rays are uncompressed, no the majority of them aren't, they use mp4 avc, which is a compression codec. I was just pointing out that far as quality goes, a movie on blu-ray will look a little better than any 1080p digital stream of the same movie.
    Last edited by rene2kx; 08-05-2014 at 19:25.

Forum Overseer
    actually no blu-ray is uncompressed but that wasn't what i was talking about. i was saying that initial statement was that "digital" music doesn't sound as good as CD music...that without a context is incorrect.

if you mean that the digital media choices are limited and do not include uncompressed audio then that seems valid.

you were implying that it was the fault of having it digital as opposed to physical media, which is inaccurate.

in other words, if you take the same CD that you bought and rip the songs without losing quality (these tools do exist), you'll get the exact sound quality you did from your CD.

Fire the space harpoons!
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Disgustipated View Post
    Take it easy homes. U don't care that I don't 100% agree with digital? ...and yet u cared enough to make me aware of that? I'm so utterly great full for that useless bit of info. If the majority here likes digital that's their thing but even though its easier its not 100 percent perfect and there are potential flaws. I just think its important to make aware of those potential problems so people can make a more informed decision. And along the way I give my opinion and expertise. Because as u know this is the Internet and we are all experts here.
    lol Awesome. Saving the world one DD at a time. Hurrah for your 'expertise'

​aka Sparc

Entropy isn't what it used be

Dedicated Member
    actually no blu-ray is uncompressed but that wasn't what i was talking about. i was saying that initial statement was that "digital" music doesn't sound as good as CD music...that without a context is incorrect.

if you mean that the digital media choices are limited and do not include uncompressed audio then that seems valid.

you were implying that it was the fault of having it digital as opposed to physical media, which is inaccurate.

in other words, if you take the same CD that you bought and rip the songs without losing quality (these tools do exist), you'll get the exact sound quality you did from your CD.
    no i don't agree it's the 'exact' sound quality as cd. i gave you an example before. i rip in flac on my go gear, flac is supposed to be lossless, but the same song on cd sounds slightly better to me. and i surely know i'm not the only proponent of sound quality on cd's, hit an audio forum like hydrogenaudio or the audio sections of avsforum, and you'd find tons of people vouching for them, some supplementing audio samples as proofs no less.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    vinny_pizza79
    How did we get from DD or physical to a battle of bit rates and compression modes?

Bottom line, to each his own. But I still say we boycott DD until prices come down!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vinny_pizza79 View Post
    How did we get from DD or physical to a battle of bit rates and compression modes?

Bottom line, to each his own. But I still say we boycott DD until prices come down!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    lol you can blame me for that, i took the discussion that way even though it was a little unrelated. this thread was supposed to discuss digital games vs physical games.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    If you had to rip in precisely the same bitrate as cd, you'd have to rip as waveform. even flac is not the same bitrate as cd. my go gear allows flac playback but to me the cd sounds a little better. it's not a big difference, and if you're a casual listener you probably won't even make out. But to a discerning audiophile, the difference will be there, no matter even it isn't big. This same quality argument can also be given in terms of video, take a 1080p netflix stream of a movie and compare to the same movie on blu-ray, the blu-ray will look a little better.
    Given that the source content of the compressed file is a CD this is true.

However, if the original source content for the compressed file was something of higher bit rate such as an SACD, with many compression algorithms with the same bit rate as CD you can actually have better quality audio than a CD. That said, SACD is dead, but most purchased digital audio comes from a source that is much higher bitrate than a CD.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by TidalPhoenix View Post
    lol Awesome. Saving the world one DD at a time. Hurrah for your 'expertise'

My thoughts exactly, old bean. Finally someone recognizes my virtuous mission. As I type this from my 1986 Macintosh

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    vinny_pizza79
    lol you can blame me for that, i took the discussion that way even though it was a little unrelated. this thread was supposed to discuss digital games vs physical games.
    I have learned more about audio than ever before, so that's a plus

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Fire the space harpoons!
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Disgustipated View Post
    As I type this from my 1986 Macintosh

​aka Sparc

Entropy isn't what it used be

Forum Overseer
    no i don't agree it's the 'exact' sound quality as cd. i gave you an example before. i rip in flac on my go gear, flac is supposed to be lossless, but the same song on cd sounds slightly better to me. and i surely know i'm not the only proponent of sound quality on cd's, hit an audio forum like hydrogenaudio or the audio sections of avsforum, and you'd find tons of people vouching for them, some supplementing audio samples as proofs no less.
    FLAC is a form of compression, it's not uncompressed.

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    Given that the source content of the compressed file is a CD this is true.

However, if the original source content for the compressed file was something of higher bit rate such as an SACD, with many compression algorithms with the same bit rate as CD you can actually have better quality audio than a CD. That said, SACD is dead, but most purchased digital audio comes from a source that is much higher bitrate than a CD.
    exactly. it's about what's present, it's not about the media used.

Deathmask Divine
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    I usually go for DD if there is a sale on the store or Im just impatient and dont want to drive into town or wait 3-4 days on delivery! Other than that I will always buy the actual disc, same with films or music. I dont always feel like i actually own it when its digital although it is very convenient and its nice to just sit there and have a nice choice without having to get up after being at work all day. I guess i try and find a balance between the two and go for what i feel best, i dont feel the need to stay 100% loyal to either option

Dedicated Member
    FLAC is a form of compression, it's not uncompressed.
    flac advertises itself as lossless, unlike other forms of compression. what would lossless mean? something which doesn't give the ill effects of compression and sounds just like uncompressed audio would. but even so, to me a cd sounds slightly better. i just find a cd to have a little more 'presence' than any form of digital audio, no matter what it is ripped as.

Forum Overseer
    flac advertises itself as lossless, unlike other forms of compression. what would lossless mean? something which doesn't give the ill effects of compression and sounds just like uncompressed audio would. but even so, to me a cd sounds slightly better. i just find a cd to have a little more 'presence' than any form of digital audio, no matter what it is ripped as.
    Lossless just means that the data can be recreated, it doesn't lose its original properties and it results in a smaller size but it doesn't mean that it's not compressed.

Dedicated Member
    Lossless just means that the data can be recreated, it doesn't lose its original properties and it results in a smaller size but it doesn't mean that it's not compressed.
    it doesn't lose its original sound properties even it is compressed a little, that is the point of lossless! meaning that even with a little compression, lossless is supposed to sound the same like uncompressed audio and retain all the original sound properties.

Thread Information