Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller

Assassin's Creed: Unity Map Revealed

So on Reddit/GAF this was posted. Looks pretty good and it's apparently around 50% bigger than the AC:III Frontier and over 3x bigger than all playable land in Black Flag.

For comparison, someone else posted a map of Paris around the same time.

Pretty amazing looking, especially when I look at the GTA:IV map and how different the LA area looks in-game as it does in real life. Adding in that 1/4 of the buildings are supposed to be enter-able with no loading screens makes it even more impressive. Wishing R* would have gone with a next-gen only GTA:V.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    wow - 3x bigger than all playable land (I'm presuming this includes the seas?)!
    I am the oncoming storm.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    Quote Originally Posted by Admartian View Post
    wow - 3x bigger than all playable land (I'm presuming this includes the seas?)!
    I think just the landmasses themselves, not the entire map. So places like the cities, plantations, dens, forts, jungle areas, small islands and distant places like Africa/Principe.

I couldn't imagine how large that would be if it included the entire Black Flag map. I read somewhere that the rooftops won't have very many, if any, guards as they are "owned" by the Assassin's. Hope that's true, I started avoiding the rooftops as it always led to fights with multiple guards. I could also see it getting annoying scaling giant buildings while getting shot at and knocked down.

Driveclub Team A Head
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Wow that is a big map, loved the size of the land in Black Flag so I am not surprised it's as big as it is!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    I haven't been excited for an AC game since AC:2 till this game. I only hope graphics are not it's only next gen side. I really would like to see their gameplay diffrences.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by ttech10 View Post
    Pretty amazing looking, especially when I look at the GTA:IV map and how different the LA area looks in-game as it does in real life. Adding in that 1/4 of the buildings are supposed to be enter-able with no loading screens makes it even more impressive. Wishing R* would have gone with a next-gen only GTA:V.
    Well GTA:V was developed fully to be Gen 7 specific, and only later decided to be remastered for Gen 8. I can't really blame them for that. I never played GTA:V because I was so bored w/ GTA:IV that I quit after a few hours of play.

I couldn't imagine how large that would be if it included the entire Black Flag map. I read somewhere that the rooftops won't have very many, if any, guards as they are "owned" by the Assassin's. Hope that's true, I started avoiding the rooftops as it always led to fights with multiple guards. I could also see it getting annoying scaling giant buildings while getting shot at and knocked down.
    Never really had a problem w/ guards on Rooftops, usually just sprinted by before they agro'd on me. Of course the red zones are a different story.

I love the idea that 1/4 of the buildings are readily accessible, but I wander if I'll notice them. I almost never used the fast pass through of open doors and windows in AC3 as I didn't notice them for the most part.

I'll be really interested to explore the Catacombs personally.

I'd like for them to go back to some of the AC:2/Bro/Rev games w/ Glyph's and Parkour timed events, but I don't think that's likely. It doesn't have to be a lot, but a few tossed in where it feels fun to explore and learn the pathing and it's not overforced, that would be great IMO.

I hope they don't toss in any stupid arsed mini-games though.

I'm interested in how we break down the different factions. So far I like what I've seen, but it looks like they haven't given away a lot of the game play (at least I hope that's the case.)

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    That looks pretty huge! I found Black Flag to be daunting at first because of the scale of everything

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    Well GTA:V was developed fully to be Gen 7 specific, and only later decided to be remastered for Gen 8. I can't really blame them for that. I never played GTA:V because I was so bored w/ GTA:IV that I quit after a few hours of play.
    Yea, I understand I can't really blame them, it's more just me being anxious for a GTA game dedicated to this gen. What they did in V for the previous systems was amazing. I can't wait to see them do the same for the current hardware.

Also speaking of GTA, I wonder what the Unity map size is compared to V. I know there's really no comparison there in terms of genres, one involves 100+mph cars and the other is a guy on foot, but it would still be interesting to see. I would have loved for the LA city area to roughly be the size of the entire V map, I hated the condensed feeling.

Never really had a problem w/ guards on Rooftops, usually just sprinted by before they agro'd on me. Of course the red zones are a different story.

I love the idea that 1/4 of the buildings are readily accessible, but I wander if I'll notice them. I almost never used the fast pass through of open doors and windows in AC3 as I didn't notice them for the most part.

I'll be really interested to explore the Catacombs personally.

I'd like for them to go back to some of the AC:2/Bro/Rev games w/ Glyph's and Parkour timed events, but I don't think that's likely. It doesn't have to be a lot, but a few tossed in where it feels fun to explore and learn the pathing and it's not overforced, that would be great IMO.

I hope they don't toss in any stupid arsed mini-games though.

I'm interested in how we break down the different factions. So far I like what I've seen, but it looks like they haven't given away a lot of the game play (at least I hope that's the case.)
    The rooftop thing, I think I mainly came across it in Kingston and occasionally Havana. Thankfully the guards are easy to get rid of but it was still annoying having them notice me quite often.

I never utilized those shortcut areas either, but with this game they are supposed to be actual interiors. They've been touting the interiors as something entirely new to the series. Think being able to seamlessly walk into homes that have a living room, kitchen, bedroom and bathroom. Others will be more varied as they are mission tied.

I don't like those mini-games either, maybe the checkers one, but hope to see stuff like the Animus collection things. I actually don't mind those, and considering Ubisoft loves collectibles, I'm sure there will be something like that in there.

The more I hear about the game the more I like. The creative director said there are hundreds of side missions, including murder investigations where you have to search for clues and interrogate people. Before I was thinking of it as a $20-$30 game, but I think it's now moved to $30-$40... really need to hear more about story before that price goes up.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    That looks pretty huge! I found Black Flag to be daunting at first because of the scale of everything
    Same here. It took me a day or so before I felt oriented. I ended up happy with it's size and appreciated all their was to explore once I got used to it though so I'm actually stoked for this one being so huge.

Apprentice

Oh my god that is gorgeous!!

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Yea, I understand I can't really blame them, it's more just me being anxious for a GTA game dedicated to this gen. What they did in V for the previous systems was amazing. I can't wait to see them do the same for the current hardware.

Also speaking of GTA, I wonder what the Unity map size is compared to V. I know there's really no comparison there in terms of genres, one involves 100+mph cars and the other is a guy on foot, but it would still be interesting to see. I would have loved for the LA city area to roughly be the size of the entire V map, I hated the condensed feeling.
    If it uses all the map area shown in their artist rendering, then it would be about 16-20 square miles. It's supposed to be bigger than the frontier on AC:3 which was 1.5x the size of Rome. I believe GTA V was 49 sq miles and I think Watch Dogs was 64 sq miles IIRC (I've seen different numbers.) But you're not driving through with a high powered sports car either. Start adding up the detail and interior space, and catacombs on top of this. Doing this mostly on foot, some on horse (I suspect) and I think it's really massive.

The rooftop thing, I think I mainly came across it in Kingston and occasionally Havana. Thankfully the guards are easy to get rid of but it was still annoying having them notice me quite often.

I never utilized those shortcut areas either, but with this game they are supposed to be actual interiors. They've been touting the interiors as something entirely new to the series. Think being able to seamlessly walk into homes that have a living room, kitchen, bedroom and bathroom. Others will be more varied as they are mission tied.

I don't like those mini-games either, maybe the checkers one, but hope to see stuff like the Animus collection things. I actually don't mind those, and considering Ubisoft loves collectibles, I'm sure there will be something like that in there.

The more I hear about the game the more I like. The creative director said there are hundreds of side missions, including murder investigations where you have to search for clues and interrogate people. Before I was thinking of it as a $20-$30 game, but I think it's now moved to $30-$40... really need to hear more about story before that price goes up.
    Yeah, I didn't utilize a lot of the rooftops in Kingston and Havana as much, mainly because they didn't flow as much and it was easier to run the streets. While previous games it was easier to run the rooftops.

I'm looking forward to the interiors, I just hope I notice the entrances.

I would be pissed if they got rid of the collectibles. The wised up a good bit after AC and made it less of a daunting task in AC2, then added maps you could buy in AC:Bro. Then just exposed them over time in later ones. I don't mind buying maps and having an economy system. Looking forward to seeing how they implement this and what we're going to collect.

I wonder what we're going to collect Fasces and $#@!ades perhaps?

EDIT: Damn dirty word scrubber. That was (o(kades, not a bad word google it.

Dedicated Member
    It's good that ubisoft is keeping AC unity a next gen only game, and doing another AC game for ps3 and 360 (AC Rogue). Cross gen games don't put out the best in graphics. AC unity though is looking great, it was one of the most impressive games at this e3 imo.
    Last edited by rene2kx; 08-05-2014 at 19:26.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
    It's good that ubisoft is keeping AC unity a next gen only game, and doing another AC game for ps3 and 360 (AC Rogue). Cross gen games don't put out the best in graphics. AC unity though is looking great, it was one of the most impressive games at this e3 imo.
    I think it's good too. I'm looking forward to Unity in all it's next gen glory but I'm happy to be getting Rogue too. I love me ol' ps3, I think it's got a lot of mileage left on it. It makes me happy that game makers aren't giving up on the platform yet. Rogue is like the perfect wrap up to the last gen AC games too, it looks like a great way to cap off the old while introducing the new on next gen.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    If it uses all the map area shown in their artist rendering, then it would be about 16-20 square miles. It's supposed to be bigger than the frontier on AC:3 which was 1.5x the size of Rome. I believe GTA V was 49 sq miles and I think Watch Dogs was 64 sq miles IIRC (I've seen different numbers.) But you're not driving through with a high powered sports car either. Start adding up the detail and interior space, and catacombs on top of this. Doing this mostly on foot, some on horse (I suspect) and I think it's really massive.

Yeah, I didn't utilize a lot of the rooftops in Kingston and Havana as much, mainly because they didn't flow as much and it was easier to run the streets. While previous games it was easier to run the rooftops.

I'm looking forward to the interiors, I just hope I notice the entrances.

I would be pissed if they got rid of the collectibles. The wised up a good bit after AC and made it less of a daunting task in AC2, then added maps you could buy in AC:Bro. Then just exposed them over time in later ones. I don't mind buying maps and having an economy system. Looking forward to seeing how they implement this and what we're going to collect.

I wonder what we're going to collect Fasces and $#@!ades perhaps?

EDIT: Damn dirty word scrubber. That was (o(kades, not a bad word google it.
    I don't expect it to be anything near V's map size, just wondering in terms of what we could possibly see in the next GTA game (since if history tells us anything, it will be a city only setting like Miami, so hopefully no "wasted" space). If it's a little less than half of GTA's map, that's pretty impressive since I think more than half the map was mountains or desert/forest that was never really utilized.

Collectibles in AC1 were terrible. I don't know if I still have my save from that game or not, but there's one feather somewhere that I didn't collect. I liked Black Flag's method of showing chests on the map once you used a sync point or were near a chest/collectible.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Collectibles in AC1 were terrible. I don't know if I still have my save from that game or not, but there's one feather somewhere that I didn't collect. I liked Black Flag's method of showing chests on the map once you used a sync point or were near a chest/collectible.
    I was methodically going through AC1 using a printed map showing all the flags and marking them off after I found them but grew too bored to actually find them all.

I thought AC:BF immediate exposure after sync point was a bit too much, but even then finding a few items in the forest took a good bit of time finding the right paths or how to get up on top of things to get them. The Note/Music chasers added in are fun. As far as exposing these items, I say make it something that's earned, whether it's financial system to buy a map or, you need to find 50% of them in an area and the rest get exposed, then I'm fine with that. In other words, I want at least some finds that I need to stumble across while exploring, but don't make me feel like I need to resort to getting a map from IGN showing all the locations and painstakingly clearing areas using the printed map.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    I was methodically going through AC1 using a printed map showing all the flags and marking them off after I found them but grew too bored to actually find them all.

I thought AC:BF immediate exposure after sync point was a bit too much, but even then finding a few items in the forest took a good bit of time finding the right paths or how to get up on top of things to get them. The Note/Music chasers added in are fun. As far as exposing these items, I say make it something that's earned, whether it's financial system to buy a map or, you need to find 50% of them in an area and the rest get exposed, then I'm fine with that. In other words, I want at least some finds that I need to stumble across while exploring, but don't make me feel like I need to resort to getting a map from IGN showing all the locations and painstakingly clearing areas using the printed map.
    I was doing that too, but somehow I still had one missing. It might have just glitched, but since they didn't have trophies I really didn't care to go through it all over again.

As for stuff showing up on map, maybe they'll do something where you'll occasionally here people talking about different items and if you stop and question them you can either rough them up or pay them off to tell you the locations. I can kind of see what you mean with not wanting everything to just show up automatically, and they likely won't do that simply so you have more reason to explore the various interiors. I'm just glad Black Flag did it that way because all of the tiny islands that had something to collect.

Thread Information