Forum Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Any Parrot owners?

Anyone own/owned a parrot at all? I've always loved them and after researching for the last 2 years I'm getting close to the point of buying a parrot but there are 4 candidates of species and I just can't pick between them.

It's coming down to either;
    Yellow crowned Amazon
    African Grey Congo
    Sun Conure
    Green cheeked conure - pineapple.

I think it's mainly between an Amazon or African Grey but having such a hard time deciding. Trying to find some reputable breeders of each species so I can visit them and see the chicks but I just don't know which one I like more.

Obviously African Greys are the best bird for mimicking however I just love the plumage of the Amazon Yellow Crowned. Mind you the Sun Conure is also a beautiful bird. In an ideal world I'd get both a African Grey and Amazon but I don't have that much money

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    We used to have a parrot a loooong time ago but I was a really small kid and barely remember...
    Though, when reading the title I first had to think of this;

If I had to choose though between those 2 choices you gave us, I think I'd go for the Yellow Crowned one
    Last edited by WaxWeazle; 08-04-2014 at 12:05.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    What about a Norwegian Blue?

Forum Sage

Any Parrot owners?

Ha yeah not after one of those! We used to have a $#@!atiel when I was younger who was pretty fun but I want a bigger one really.

It's a vicious circle, I feel bad for keeping one in a cage but it would only be in the cage when not home. Otherwise it would have full reign of the house

Ha I want a real ALIVE one

Superior Member
    There's a pub near me with an African Grey called Smirnoff! He's a very vocal bird and has picked up lots of words and phrases from the punters! His cage is always open and he can wander around if he wants. He tends to stay in the cage or just outside it though.

Also my nan used to have an African Grey, but it was a bit messed up in the head and seemed to enjoy plucking it's feathers out!

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    Anyone own/owned a parrot at all? I've always loved them and after researching for the last 2 years I'm getting close to the point of buying a parrot but there are 4 candidates of species and I just can't pick between them.

It's coming down to either;
    Yellow crowned Amazon
    African Grey Congo
    Sun Conure
    Green cheeked conure - pineapple.

I think it's mainly between an Amazon or African Grey but having such a hard time deciding. Trying to find some reputable breeders of each species so I can visit them and see the chicks but I just don't know which one I like more.

Obviously African Greys are the best bird for mimicking however I just love the plumage of the Amazon Yellow Crowned. Mind you the Sun Conure is also a beautiful bird. In an ideal world I'd get both a African Grey and Amazon but I don't have that much money
    ohhh yess I love parrots!!

http://instagram.com/sainraja

I'd recommend Green Cheek / Pineapple Cheek Conure. I've got three and they are awesome!

I keep them open btw. They only go in when they need to go to sleep.

I had one before these three who would always be out (he unfortunately had an incident and passed away -- he was the best bird I ever had the pleasure of having company of - here is a link to a picture of him: http://instagram.com/p/fVXDbTvAW6/?modal=true.)

I'd even take him outside without any type of harness. I really miss him.
    Last edited by sainraja; 08-04-2014 at 19:53.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhindi_Bhajji View Post
    There's a pub near me with an African Grey called Smirnoff! He's a very vocal bird and has picked up lots of words and phrases from the punters! His cage is always open and he can wander around if he wants. He tends to stay in the cage or just outside it though.

Also my nan used to have an African Grey, but it was a bit messed up in the head and seemed to enjoy plucking it's feathers out!
    Thats a sign of a bored bird not mental one. Wild birds don't do this because they always have something to do.
    Last edited by keefy; 08-04-2014 at 20:49.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    ohhh yess I love parrots!!

http://instagram.com/sainraja

I'd recommend Green Cheek / Pineapple Cheek Conure. I've got three and they are awesome!

I keep them open btw. They only go in when they need to go to sleep.

I had one before these three who would always be out (he unfortunately had an incident and passed away -- he was the best bird I ever had the pleasure of having company of - here is a link to a picture of him: http://instagram.com/p/fVXDbTvAW6/?modal=true.)

I'd even take him outside without any type of harness. I really miss him.
    Those are some beautiful birds man! I especially like the pineapple morph! As you have three of them have the bonded well with you or do they typically play amongst themselves?

Many places say conures are big parrots in a small body

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    Those are some beautiful birds man! I especially like the pineapple morph! As you have three of them have the bonded well with you or do they typically play amongst themselves?

Many places say conures are big parrots in a small body
    Thanks! and they are! they definitely are! (big parrots in a small body) lol and yeah they have bonded well with me....they go where I go; even on their own they make sure I am around or someone is around (like a family member they are also fond of.)

They require a lot of social interaction and love to chew on stuff!

On the weekends I give them loads of attention, during the weekdays since I am at work I get to spend an hour or two (one of my family members is with them during the weekday when I'm not around - they always come flying towards me when I get home though.)
    Last edited by sainraja; 08-04-2014 at 21:30.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    I would never get a pet bird, their heads keep falling off!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    whos a pretty polly ?
    "Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"

Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    If this makes time travel possible I'll go forward in time voluntarily to get my hands on CoD34 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. They come out in the same year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkk View Post
    I dont think i could take a dick, 1. im not gay and 2 one time i stuck my finger in my butt to see how it felt and i wasn't very pleased with the experience

Ultimate Veteran
    I have a black cap conure 3 $#@!tails and a parakeet.get a conure amazons can be nasty

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Thats a sign of a bored bird not mental one. Wild birds don't do this because they always have something to do.
    That makes sense now that you mention it!

We are talking 30 years or so ago so that never crossed my mind as a 5 year old, but I only ever recall it coming out of the cage once during a visit and thought it was strange that all it did was walk around the floor trying to bite people's feet.

She also had a Minor Bird which I was fascinated by. That thing was incredible at mimicking voices and sounds, especially the phone and doorbell. Many a time someone would go to the door or pick up the phone only to find nobody there!

Thread Information