Deathmask Divine
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Ebola outbreak now declared as a public health emergency

Ebola outbreak declared a public health emergency by World Health Organization

LONDON – The World Health Organization on Friday declared the Ebola outbreak in West Africa to be an international public health emergency that requires an extraordinary response to stop its spread.

It is the largest and longest outbreak ever recorded of Ebola, which has a death rate of about 50 percent and has so far killed at least 932 people. WHO declared similar emergencies for the swine flu pandemic in 2009 and for polio in May.

The WHO chief, Dr. Margaret Chan, said the announcement is "a clear call for international solidarity" although she acknowledged that many countries would probably not have any Ebola cases.
    "Countries affected to date simply do not have the capacity to manage an outbreak of this size and complexity on their own," Chan said at a news conference in Geneva. "I urge the international community to provide this support on the most urgent basis possible."

The agency had convened an expert committee this week to assess the severity of the continuing epidemic.
    The current outbreak of Ebola began in Guinea in March and has since spread to Sierra Leone and Liberia, with a suspected cluster in Nigeria. There is no licensed treatment or vaccine for Ebola.
    The impact of the WHO declaration is unclear; the declaration about polio doesn't yet seem to have slowed the spread of virus.

"Statements won't save lives," said Dr. Bart Janssens, director of operations for Doctors Without Borders. "For weeks, (we) have been repeating that a massive medical, epidemiological and public health response is desperately needed. ... Lives are being lost because the response is too slow."
    In the United States, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have already elevated their Ebola response to the highest level and have recommended against traveling to West Africa. On Thursday, CDC director Dr. Tom Frieden told a Congressional hearing that the current outbreak is set to sicken more people than all previous outbreaks of the disease combined.

"I don't know what the advantage is of declaring an international emergency," said Dr. David Heymann, who directed WHO's response to the SARS outbreak and is now a professor at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.
    "This could bring in more foreign aid but we don't know that yet," he said.

Other experts hoped the declaration would send more health workers to West Africa.
    "The situation is very critical and different from what we've seen before," said Dr. Heinz Feldmann, chief of virology at the U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease. "There are so many locations with transmission popping up and we just need more people on the ground."

WHO did not recommend any travel or trade bans but said people who had close contact with Ebola patients should not travel internationally. For countries with Ebola, WHO issued various recommendations, including exit screening at international airports and border crossings to spot potential cases. It also discouraged mass gatherings.
    WHO said countries without Ebola should heighten their surveillance and treat any suspected cases as a health emergency.

This week, two of the worst-hit Ebola countries -- Liberia and Sierra Leone -- brought in troops to enforce quarantines and stop people infected with the disease from traveling. Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf said no one with a fever would be allowed in or out of the country and warned some civil liberties could be suspended if needed to bring the virus under control.
    Chan said while extraordinary measures might be necessary to contain the outbreak, it is important to recognize civil rights.

"We need to respect the dignity of people and inform them why these measures are being taken," she said.
    there is a short video of Fox News on the site itself if anyone is interested

source: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/0...-organization/

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    I don't like it that they are moving some victims back to their home countries. Thats a way to help it spread.

ADMiNiSTRaToR
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    The problem is ... they're not sure why it's spreading so fast. The normal incubation period is 2 to 21 days and they're seeing back-to-back cases. The containment strategies in these countries are garbage though, so that's not helping. They're testing a serum on those two Americans right now, but they're not sure how effective it is. They're saying the patients are showing progress, but they didn't say if they were stable.

Scary stuff.
    "Courage is the key to life.”

Finally You Are Free
    None of us need to worry. This isn't as big as headlines make it out.

ADMiNiSTRaToR
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    None of us need to worry. This isn't as big as headlines make it out.
    The way it's spread kind of leaves developed countries out of the equation.

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    I aint scared. I just watched Warrior. I'm pumped!

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    I love how Fox news (and probably other media) 'always' invites a scientist and a skeptic to comment on their news.

And:
    Planes are not that hygienic when you think about it, are they..?

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Supreme Veteran
    They have to get both sides of the story otherwise its Biased reporting.

Planes recirculate your farts, imagine going to Australia breathing in other peoples recycled farts for 20 hours.
    Last edited by keefy; 08-08-2014 at 23:55.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Hey Keefy, have anyone coined a word for this situation we're talking about or can we make one?

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    I have a plane trip back from Europe on the 26th. I know it's spread through bodily fluids, basically if I touch a human or have sex with them, or some form of contact...should I be worried on the flight?

ADMiNiSTRaToR
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
    I have a plane trip back from Europe on the 26th. I know it's spread through bodily fluids, basically if I touch a human or have sex with them, or some form of contact...should I be worried on the flight?
    Unless someone throws a monkey, pig, or fruit bat at you or bleeds all over you, you'll be okay. Just avoid incoming animals and open wounds at the airport. And sex with random airport folks.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Well, theoretically - if a person has sat in your seat with diarrhea infested sweatpants, and you scratch yourself and eat without washing your hands, you could. Theoretically. Sorry.

13. Likes Lebowski likes this post
    Deathmask Divine
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Unless someone throws a monkey, pig, or fruit bat at you or bleeds all over you, you'll be okay. Just avoid incoming animals and open wounds at the airport. And sex with random airport folks.
    don't restrict the man too much

Supreme Veteran
    ITs not gotten to Europe so you should be safe.

I started watching 24 about a month ago and now I am at season 3 which is about a deadly virus that got released.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    This could be the super bug to finally wipe out... Africa.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    To be honest with the population of the world as it is 1000 people is actually not that much! People panic too easily and we just need to take swine and bird flu as an example, it was meant to be a massive epidemic then about 3 weeks later the whole thing disappeared off the news more or less completely! I am not saying we should just ignore it and yes something needs to be done to stop the spread but I don't think it's going to be as major as the news is making it out to be!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Twitch ID: http://www.twitch.tv/duffman041986/profile

My Youtube Gaming Channel - Now with commentary: Duffman Gaming

Deathmask Divine
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    I must admit I can't help but be worried when hearing stuff about this and playing The Last of Us

you seem panicked .. In Belgium, the population don't care, they prefer to watch TV while eating a MacDonald

Deathmask Divine
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    bit of good news...

This morning (Aug 21) there was a press conference outside of Emory University Hospital in Atlanta. Dr. Bruce Ribner, director of Emory’s Infectious Disease Unit, confirmed that the two Americans who had been receiving treatment for Ebola virus disease (EVD) had recovered from the illness. Dr. Kent Brantly (33) was discharged today and Nancy Writebol (59) was quietly released on Tuesday.“After a rigorous and successful course of treatment and testing, the Emory Healthcare team has determined that both patients have recovered from the Ebola virus and can return to their families and community without concern for spreading this infection to others,” Ribner stated.

The pair had fallen ill while in Liberia while performing missionary work. While still in Africa, they both received an experimental serum called ZMapp that was made with antibodies derived from mice. Additionally, Brantly had received a transfusion of blood from a teenager who had treated for EVD earlier that summer, in an effort to pass along some antibodies.

Brantly and Writebol were transferred to Atlanta on August 2 and 5, respectively. They were treated in specialized isolation units where they received top notch care and were the subject of a great deal of research, so scientists can learn more about the effects of EVD in hopes of developing a better course of treatment.
    Though the pair spurred dozens of headlines after receiving the experimental ZMapp, it has not been made clear if the drug had any effect on the recovery at all.

"Frankly, we do not know whether it helped them, whether it made no difference or whether it theoretically delayed their recovery,” Ribner said about the drug. Around 45% of people who have been sick in this outbreak have survived without the use of experimental medications and without being treated in a cutting-edge isolation facility like Emory. For those who are otherwise healthy enough, managing symptoms and maintaining hydration is enough to let the body fight the virus on its own.

The staff at Emory University Hospital as well as officials from the CDC would like to reiterate that these two do not pose a risk in transmitting EVD. Isolation protocols were strictly adhered to and extensive testing of blood and urine have revealed they are cleared of the infection.

Writebol did not attend this morning’s event. Instead, her husband had passed along a written statement that said though she was no longer infected with Ebola, she is still weak from the extended illness. She will continue to rest and recover privately with her family. Brantly addressed the crowd outside of the hospital during the press conference. He stated that he and his family would be going away to an undisclosed location for the next month so he could also rest and reconnect with his family, and he would not be speaking publicly about his illness until after that time. He also urged the public not to forget about those still fighting the outbreak in West Africa.
    As of today, there have been 2473 suspected or confirmed cases of Ebola across Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria, and Sierra Leone. A total of 1350 of those patients have died.

Read more at http://www.iflscience.com/health-and...irAVjT0A4xK.99

Master Sage
    You know everything is fine til the military steps up and starts shooting down the infected that is when we worry.

Super Elite
    Well the male is cured and is now Immuned according to ABC World News.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] In the darkest abyss I still see you with my perfect sharigan young jedi!

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    Does that mean I need to have sex with him to be safe?

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    You know everything is fine til the military steps up and starts shooting down the infected that is when we worry.
    I do not think that will happen. At least not with Ebola.

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by darky89 View Post
    Does that mean I need to have sex with him to be safe?
    darky89! Why I am appalled at your behavior. I thought we had something special between us. Why you gotta cheat on me like that?

You tramp.

Thread Information