Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 126

Thread: $#@! vs $#@!

  1. #51
    Elite Sage
    BBK..'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bristol!!
    Age
    25
    Posts
    10,522
    Rep Power
    93
    Points
    53,287 (15,799 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    what do you think about white people calling their white friends $#@!? I've seen and heard that multiple times.
    Never made sense to me.

    eh, I've posted. I was deliberately avoiding this thread. There is a very thin line between OK and not. Most my friends are predominately white and while they can drop the N bomb around me and it doesn't bother me I've never had one address me by that term neither would I expect them to. But if they did I wouldn't blow up.

    On the flip side, If I don't know you from Adam and you call me that, i don't care if it ends with a A or a ER it better be expected that I will, and I have, switch on you.

    Me and my girlfriend have this debate a lot because she's white and when we'll be watching some Black comedy or if I'm playing some hip-hop she says it makes her feel uncomfortable it gets dropped so frequently and if I'm allowed to say it, why isn't she. I just say she can say it but it is probably safer if she doesn't

  2. Likes 33x , PS4freak likes this post
  3. #52
    reaper of souls
    Sylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    UK
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Age
    25
    Posts
    10,467
    Rep Power
    105
    Points
    161,925 (0 Banked)
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    yeah i think some of them use it because they think it makes them sound cool but its $#@!ing dumb to be honest




  4. #53
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Varsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    W-s-M
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Age
    33
    Posts
    5,783
    Rep Power
    89
    Points
    24,195 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    I just keep things simple, black, white, or Asian. It's weird how black has become derogatory whilst "white" hasn't. What's even weirder is the fact that technically no one's white and no one's black yet we're referred that way.

    Actually I've got a better idea, let's call all black people "brown", all white people "pinky red" or "off-white" or "paste", Mediterranean people "tanned", and all Asian people "yellow"! On second thoughts not... I think I'll stick with black, white, and Asian.

  5. #54
    Counting Mod
    PS4freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Age
    27
    Posts
    14,074
    Rep Power
    149
    Points
    94,573 (190,439 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar View Post
    i love george carlin...errr loved...RIP carlin.

    but that video has nothing to do with your point, which shows that you don't know the difference either.

    firstly, $#@! is not the same as the n word, it's not a substitute, this is what annoys me about people. it's not the same word!

    black people don't say the n word either, they don't think they are the exception, they also find it offensive when other black people say it, in fact, i have not heard a black person say the word "$#@!" EVER...whereas I have heard hundreds of times from all other races.

    $#@! is not a derogatory word, it's just a bit tricky to use it because you have to know the person's intentions...i think it's still taboo because you don't know the context in which someone could be using it.

    but i've not seen one instance where a black person was offended because someone said the word $#@!...but to say it to a black person, would be different, especially if you don't know them. which i can understand but i think it needs to go away.

    but yes, black people don't use the n word either, $#@! is not the n word.

    it's not a complicated subject but i opened this thread because there seems to be a lot of confusion, even among other blacks.

    $#@! did not replace $#@!.
    $#@! did not replace it but it is derived from it. I understand that is a term of endearment for black people I've just never understood the embracing of the word. I just don't use the words period. It's just not necessary IMO. I wouldn't go around saying what's up cracka. That's embracing of the derogatory term towards white people from the word cracker. Which I'm not sure if many people even know what it means. I think most just think is because of color. I don't want to be associated with anything from that. Although the situation of the words are much different.




    Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

  6. #55
    Elite Sage
    BBK..'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bristol!!
    Age
    25
    Posts
    10,522
    Rep Power
    93
    Points
    53,287 (15,799 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I actually find it more offensive when people feel uneasy about describing me as black. That gets on my nerves.

    I used to work in retail, on a saturday we had a team of about 10 of us in one department. In this group of 10 there were just 2 of us who were black. Now the lengths some people would go to to avoid describing me or my co-worker as black when talking to me was ridiculous.

  7. #56
    reaper of souls
    Sylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    UK
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Age
    25
    Posts
    10,467
    Rep Power
    105
    Points
    161,925 (0 Banked)
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    $#@! did not replace it but it is derived from it. I understand that is a term of endearment for black people I've just never understood the embracing of the word. I just don't use the words period. It's just not necessary IMO. I wouldn't go around saying what's up cracka. That's embracing of the derogatory term towards white people from the word cracker. Which I'm not sure if many people even know what it means. I think most just think is because of color. I don't want to be associated with anything from that. Although the situation of the words are much different.
    is it related to the sound of a whip? that's what i've always been told.

    ive been called cracker a few times, and even snowman which i thought was pretty funny




  8. #57
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Varsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    W-s-M
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Age
    33
    Posts
    5,783
    Rep Power
    89
    Points
    24,195 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    I actually find it more offensive when people feel uneasy about describing me as black. That gets on my nerves.

    I used to work in retail, on a saturday we had a team of about 10 of us in one department. In this group of 10 there were just 2 of us who were black. Now the lengths some people would go to to avoid describing me or my co-worker as black when talking to me was ridiculous.
    I have a few friends that are black as well and he has always said being called the "ethnic minority" is stupid. He calls everyone else "white" so he said "why can't I be called black?". He gets offensive being called the "ethnic minority" because of its stupid meaning. Also you can't really refer to blacks as the "ethnic minority" worldwide because ironically they're the majority, plus there are completely different majorities and minorities in many countries in which the terms becomes completely useless. It's like me going to Africa and calling them "ethnic minorities", how stupid would I look?

  9. #58
    Veteran
    faaeng's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    .....pss..behind you
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,287
    Rep Power
    76
    Points
    14,790 (0 Banked)
    I hear black people drop the N bomb regularly. Yes with an er/ers not an a/ah/as/az.

    Hell, Seen Nas or Kelis?


    Sent from my One using Tapatalk
    Last edited by faaeng; 08-15-2014 at 16:36.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------


  10. #59
    Counting Mod
    PS4freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Age
    27
    Posts
    14,074
    Rep Power
    149
    Points
    94,573 (190,439 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    is it related to the sound of a whip? that's what i've always been told.

    ive been called cracker a few times, and even snowman which i thought was pretty funny
    Yeah it's the guys that beat slaves with whips . Like you said is from the crack of the whip.




    Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

  11. #60
    Forum Overseer

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    32,734
    Rep Power
    198
    Points
    137,312 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by -Shafty- View Post
    So it started out as a derogatory term white people used against black people. .. I say get your own word and let us keep it!

    so you are black?

    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    I was on holiday In Turkey a few weeks ago and came across this...

    Felt like smashing the shop up

    That'll be my only input on this thread.
    LOL those damn turks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    what do you think about white people calling their white friends $#@!? I've seen and heard that multiple times.
    i don't think anything's wrong with it. i say it to my white friends.

  12. #61
    Counting Mod
    PS4freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Age
    27
    Posts
    14,074
    Rep Power
    149
    Points
    94,573 (190,439 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    I have a few friends that are black as well and he has always said being called the "ethnic minority" is stupid. He calls everyone else "white" so he said "why can't I be called black?". He gets offensive being called the "ethnic minority" because of its stupid meaning. Also you can't really refer to blacks as the "ethnic minority" worldwide because ironically they're the majority, plus there are completely different majorities and minorities in many countries in which the terms becomes completely useless. It's like me going to Africa and calling them "ethnic minorities", how stupid would I look?
    Yeah all those classifications that are used in mainstream bug the hell out of me. Minority is a really stupid one because it refers to the black populace. Funny thing is any race other than white is minority. I never hear Hispanics or Asians referred to as minority even though they are. I think African American bugs me more than any though. It's used to describe a race but it only works in AMERICA!!!




    Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

  13. Likes Omar likes this post
  14. #62
    Forum Overseer

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    32,734
    Rep Power
    198
    Points
    137,312 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    For one thing, I’m glad more people have joined in because that means we’re already making progress. I think the biggest problem is that people are afraid or uncomfortable talking about this…and we should talk about this because it’s part of our language and I see black people around me all the time and have tons of acquaintances that are black so one way I’ve been able to be around them is because I somewhat understand where they come from.

    This is one problem I see with whites. They are afraid to offend blacks so they just don’t talk to them often. I talk to all of my black friends with slang, which is funny because all black people talk to me with more proper english…which is interesting to note because this would imply that they can speak “city” english but they prefer speaking “southern” english.
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    $#@! did not replace it but it is derived from it. I understand that is a term of endearment for black people I've just never understood the embracing of the word. I just don't use the words period. It's just not necessary IMO. I wouldn't go around saying what's up cracka. That's embracing of the derogatory term towards white people from the word cracker. Which I'm not sure if many people even know what it means. I think most just think is because of color. I don't want to be associated with anything from that. Although the situation of the words are much different.
    except cracka isn’t supposed to be a positive word. I use cracka-ass-cracka when I want to laugh, that’s it. I use $#@! and that’s funny too but it isn’t an insult. Cracka would be an insult.
    The reason people use $#@! is because they want to forget “$#@!”. How genius it is to have a word that is derived from a negative word and made completely positive? It’s genius to me. It shows the Black struggle.
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    Never made sense to me.

    eh, I've posted. I was deliberately avoiding this thread. There is a very thin line between OK and not. Most my friends are predominately white and while they can drop the N bomb around me and it doesn't bother me I've never had one address me by that term neither would I expect them to. But if they did I wouldn't blow up.

    On the flip side, If I don't know you from Adam and you call me that, i don't care if it ends with a A or a ER it better be expected that I will, and I have, switch on you.

    Me and my girlfriend have this debate a lot because she's white and when we'll be watching some Black comedy or if I'm playing some hip-hop she says it makes her feel uncomfortable it gets dropped so frequently and if I'm allowed to say it, why isn't she. I just say she can say it but it is probably safer if she doesn't
    now I can understand someone randomly calling you $#@! and I could easily understand why that would be disturbing or something..hell, even calling someone “bro” can sometimes piss people off, so I don’t blame you. but in the right context, if the guy knew you, you say yourself you have no issue. also your gf feeling uncomfortable, I don’t get that. That’s where white people go too far and the other side of the problem…black people need to help white people understand that there’s nothing wrong with listening to stuff that has this stuff…I’m not saying take it outside and blare it out lol, I’m saying nothing wrong with watching or listening…I actually love all the race jokes and comedians that talk about race. I think it lightens up the race issues. Besides, she’s not the one saying it…so I don’t get it. she’s not even the one playing it! this is where I don’t understand the overly PC white folks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    I just keep things simple, black, white, or Asian. It's weird how black has become derogatory whilst "white" hasn't. What's even weirder is the fact that technically no one's white and no one's black yet we're referred that way.
    yeah, to keep things simple…it is stupid to categorize when it’s difficult to describe what white means and what black means as there are such diversities between the two races. I mean, we’re not a total of 5-7 races but there aren’t more options on those forms people fill out.


    I actually try to be cautious with the word “white” as well because you don’t know who might take offense but yes it’s definitely more on the black side. I think it’s because they tend to see more issues than whites do and that might explain why they are sensitive towards it.
    Actually I've got a better idea, let's call all black people "brown", all white people "pinky red" or "off-white" or "paste", Mediterranean people "tanned", and all Asian people "yellow"! On second thoughts not... I think I'll stick with black, white, and Asian.
    OR you guys could be like us in pakistan and india, we don’t refer to people by their race, we just call people light skinned, dark skinned.
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    I actually find it more offensive when people feel uneasy about describing me as black. That gets on my nerves.

    I used to work in retail, on a saturday we had a team of about 10 of us in one department. In this group of 10 there were just 2 of us who were black. Now the lengths some people would go to to avoid describing me or my co-worker as black when talking to me was ridiculous.
    lol yup. That’s why it gets brought up as a joke in cartoons or comedy shows.
    Quote Originally Posted by faaeng View Post
    I hear black people drop the N bomb regularly. Yes with an er/ers not an a/as/az.

    Hell, Seen Nas or Kelis?


    Sent from my One using Tapatalk
    That’s just a statement I believe. It’s like someone wearing something that said, “$#@!”. E.g. women get called $#@! a lot so they have shorts/tops that say the word “$#@!”.

    The context here is different. When black people call someone a $#@!, they are trying to offend the person, they don’t mean it in a positive way.

  15. #63
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Varsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    W-s-M
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Age
    33
    Posts
    5,783
    Rep Power
    89
    Points
    24,195 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Just so you know, I am half-Indian so I know how things are referred there.

  16. #64
    Forum Overseer

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    32,734
    Rep Power
    198
    Points
    137,312 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    Just so you know, I am half-Indian so I know how things are referred there.
    what other half are you?

  17. #65
    Counting Mod
    PS4freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Age
    27
    Posts
    14,074
    Rep Power
    149
    Points
    94,573 (190,439 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    But the cracker vs cracka is the exact same thing. It's just that no matter what the pronunciation it's bad. Why the same doesn't apply, which IMO it should, does apply to $#@! vs $#@!. Being called a cracker or cracka is offensive because you are relatingme too some heartless piece of $#@!. I guess I'll never know because it's not my culture. But words are words. What you make of them is different from person to person.




    Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

  18. #66
    Forum Overseer

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    32,734
    Rep Power
    198
    Points
    137,312 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    But the cracker vs cracka is the exact same thing. It's just that no matter what the pronunciation it's bad. Why the same doesn't apply, which IMO it should, does apply to $#@! vs $#@!. Being called a cracker or cracka is offensive because you are relatingme too some heartless piece of $#@!. I guess I'll never know because it's not my culture. But words are words. What you make of them is different from person to person.
    cracker or cracka is the exact thing, that's what i'm saying. they're both offensive. however $#@! vs $#@! are not the same thing. that's my point.

    cracka or cracker are both offensive (or should be) but $#@! isn't supposed to be. $#@! basically means a friend, or a fellow, or someone cool.

  19. #67
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Varsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    W-s-M
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Age
    33
    Posts
    5,783
    Rep Power
    89
    Points
    24,195 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar View Post
    what other half are you?
    Basically it boils down like this for me:
    • 1/2 Indian (Hathras)
    • 3/8 English
    • 1/8 Dane

    Go me.

  20. #68
    Forum Overseer

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    32,734
    Rep Power
    198
    Points
    137,312 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    Basically it boils down like this for me:
    • 1/2 Indian (Hathras)
    • 3/8 English
    • 1/8 Dane

    Go me.
    interesting mix. i'm myself not complete indian and have some sort of a mix but we don't know what mix it is...it's definitely close to afghani and those people are a mix of so many races.

  21. #69
    Counting Mod
    PS4freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Age
    27
    Posts
    14,074
    Rep Power
    149
    Points
    94,573 (190,439 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar View Post
    cracker or cracka is the exact thing, that's what i'm saying. they're both offensive. however $#@! vs $#@! are not the same thing. that's my point.

    cracka or cracker are both offensive (or should be) but $#@! isn't supposed to be. $#@! basically means a friend, or a fellow, or someone cool.
    I know. I just will never understand its use as a positive in one form but not the other.




    Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

  22. #70
    Forum Overseer

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    32,734
    Rep Power
    198
    Points
    137,312 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    I know. I just will never understand its use as a positive in one form but not the other.
    well, i can see where you're coming from because it's not a straightforward word, it can be in some ways used as a lighter way to say the n word, i've seen black people do that but that's a lot less used this way and used more positively.

    but i also agree that you can't just say $#@! whenever you feel like it out in the public or to a black person that you don't know...but the point i'm trying to make and help some people understand is that the two words are still not the same.

    but yes, it can be used for two things, 1) describe a black person casually. 2) call someone a friend, homie, fellow, cool guy.

    i think that's where the confusion lies. which is why i think more communication is needed.

    think of it this way, if we somehow forced all the mischief people to use the word "$#@!" rather than "$#@!", i will guarantee you that black folks would be less offended.

    $#@! can be seen as a neutral word, and not always positive...i guess you can use it both ways but it depends on what the context is.

  23. #71
    reaper of souls
    Sylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    UK
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Age
    25
    Posts
    10,467
    Rep Power
    105
    Points
    161,925 (0 Banked)
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    yeah I guess you can get away with calling certain people that and they don't get offended, like i can call certain people $#@! and they laugh




  24. #72
    Forum Overseer

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    32,734
    Rep Power
    198
    Points
    137,312 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    i don't call any of my black friends $#@! because none of them are close friends.

  25. #73
    Finally You Are Free
    Nerevar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Equestria
    Age
    22
    Posts
    16,029
    Rep Power
    137
    Points
    86,270 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I'm one of the whitest, nerdiest guys around and I remember having people calling me $#@! at parties because I wasn't acting like a douchbebag to everyone, like many of them were when they got drunk. It was really awkward in my mid-late teen years but I got used to it.

    There was one time a black guy busted into a room while some of us were playing God of War 3, drunk as hell and swinging a goddamn katanta around the room. He almost chopped my head off, then he jumped off the room's balcony and broke his leg. Fun times. >_>

  26. #74
    Forum Overseer

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    32,734
    Rep Power
    198
    Points
    137,312 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    I'm one of the whitest, nerdiest guys around and I remember having people calling me $#@! at parties because I wasn't acting like a douchbebag to everyone, like many of them were when they got drunk. It was really awkward in my mid-late teen years but I got used to it.

    There was one time a black guy busted into a room while some of us were playing God of War 3, drunk as hell and swinging a goddamn katanta around the room. He almost chopped my head off, then he jumped off the room's balcony and broke his leg. Fun times. >_>
    so you were called a $#@! on a continuous basis?

  27. #75
    Finally You Are Free
    Nerevar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Equestria
    Age
    22
    Posts
    16,029
    Rep Power
    137
    Points
    86,270 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar View Post
    so you were called a $#@! on a continuous basis?
    At parties by certain people, yes. I live in the south though and it's probably more casually thrown around here.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.