Quote Originally Posted by Valefor View Post
So it's the law, not the illegal possession of drugs that has 'ruined generations of black families'?

It's easy to look at statistics and claim they lead to certain conclusions.

Are the laws sexist because there are more males in prison than females? Or do males commit more serious crime?

Are the laws racist because, as a percentage against total population, there are more minorities in prison than white people? Or do minorities commit more crime (whether due to culture, economic circumstances, education levels etc)?

Would the law still be racist if the percentage of white people, as a percentage of the population, was higher than other ethnic groups? Would the law only be not racist, if the statistics were all the same for all ethnic groups?

You can argue from either side and claim the statistics support it. Calling everything 'racist' is starting to make the word lose its significance through overuse, which is a shame because there are real incidents of racism out there and it's a horrible thing.

As for the terms '$#@!' and '$#@!', I think they're both disgusting words, and if we are ever going to see the end of their use, black people need to stop calling each other by that term.
you're assuming that my basis is that there's a disproportionate amount of crime when it comes to the blacks, that's the symptom of it, it's not the cause. see below:

@Boxman.

the notion that drugs run heavy in gangs is not entirely true. you have it the other way around. it's the fact that drugs leads to gangs because once you are a victim of owning even an ounce of some of these drugs (which were more popular with the blacks because they were cheaper), the felony charge/jail will have permanently scarred your future for life. the only thing you can do after you come out is go back into making money through illegal means. that's what i meant by ruining generations. the effect is generational.

Crack cocaine sentencing presents a particularly egregious case. Since the 1980s, federal penalties for crack were 100 times harsher than those for powder cocaine, with African Americans disproportionately sentenced to much lengthier terms. But, in 2010, DPA played a key role in reducing the crack/powder sentencing disparity from 100:1 to 18:1, and we are committed to passing legislation that would eliminate the disparity entirely. The life-long penalties and exclusions that follow a drug conviction have created a permanent second-class status for millions of Americans, who may be prohibited from voting, being licensed, accessing public assistance and any number of other activities and opportunities. The drug war’s racist enforcement means that all of these exclusions fall more heavily on people and communities of color. DPA is committed to ending these highly discriminatory policies and to combating the stigma attached to drug use and drug convictions.
http://www.drugpolicy.org/race-and-drug-war

Ezekiel Edwards, director of the ACLU Criminal Law Reform Project, spent nearly a year mining data on the racial makeup of marijuana arrests. The ACLU found that black people were 3.7 times more likely to be arrested for marijuana possession than white people. This at a time when white and black marijuana usage rates are virtually identical, about 12 to 14 percent.
That racial disparity has grown worse with time. Over the past decade, the white arrest rate for marijuana possession held steady, around 192 arrests per 100,000 white people. Meanwhile, the black arrest rate skyrocketed. In 2001, it stood at 537 arrests per 100,000 black people. By 2010, it had climbed to 716.
Going into the project, Edwards suspected the numbers might be bad. But not this bad. "We knew about racial disparities in New York," he tells me. "We didn't expect to find racial disparities everywhere, urban and rural, 49 of the 50 states." (Only Hawaii had a nearly even black-white arrest rate.) The war on marijuana, Edwards says, "has been a war on people of color."
To understand what those numbers mean on the ground, you only have to visit the American marijuana gulag that is the state of Louisiana. New Orleans, of course, famously welcomes and celebrates bacchanalian debauchery. But Louisiana lawmakers take a perverse pride in maintaining some of the harshest marijuana laws in the country. One joint can get you six months in the parish prison. Second offense: up to five years. Third: up to 20.

trust me when i say this, no race is different than the other. it's the circumstances that make them what they are and where they are. if you go with science, you find the reasons, if you go with personal feelings, you will be stuck choosing a side and not tackling the real issues.