View Poll Results: Should member infractions/bans be publicized?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, all infractions and bans should be public like they once were.

17 56.67%
  • No, they should not be public at all.

6 20.00%
  • Yes, but only under certain conditions. (Please explain in the thread)

7 23.33%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 ... LastLast
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Captncoke49
    Those damn ants! I liked to see why someone was banned. It was good reading for me on slow days. Lol

2. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Selected Members Council
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Keep those votes coming, guys. So far, 10 out of 15 voters would like to see the infractions and bans subforum continue to be updated in some way.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 08-19-2014 at 03:57.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    MKS, if youre so desperate to see them....COME BACK ON THE FRIGGING STAFF!!

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

5. Likes PS4freak likes this post
    PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar View Post
    because the staff members are basically chosen based on their time and input (and friendships...) on these forums and not based on the quality of their judgement and professionalism
    "It's not what you know but who you know" is a common saying for a reason. Unless people know you and know that you can be trusted then you can be given a job based purely on those values and you can learn as you go along. Friendships however is something different, never ever ever employ anyone based on friendship alone as they may not even be suited for the job in the first place unlike the person you know that is specific to that area.

Having said that time and input is not a big factor at all. I keep well away from moderation side of things unless it's something like a duplicate post, it's in the wrong place, or spam - but even then I generally leave it to mods. I'm here purely for the redesign of the site and forums and will most likely have my admin spot removed afterwards.

i just don't think that's fair and since we don't have an actual judicial system of any sort, everything should be public so at least we can have complaints against people who are unfair so the admins have the chance to weed out the bad/unfair staff.
    All posts that are questionable or places where there are infractions are automatically (or will be on the new forums) placed as a thread in a forum, this forum is where the moderators and admins can discuss the consequences of that member(s) in question. It is very open to the staff but if that member is a friend of that member then they can easily skew or influence the staff members involved in the decision, this is what I like to keep out and behind closed doors. It's the very same reason the people in the Jury are never known.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Metal King Slime View Post
    Just to be clear, the subforum didn't disappear. It just hasn't been updated.
    Really? Who was the last guy banned? Let me go see who it was....

Oh yeah.....now I remember. Where are those spam-bot bans when ya need them?

Looks like resuming posting is winning in some form. Cool. But only 16 votes so far? I'm guessing most people don't care apparently.
    Last edited by GreatSpaceKoaster; 08-19-2014 at 12:35.

Superior Member
    Having had one infraction on here, I don't particularly see what the issue is. Never bothered me when it was posted in the sub-forum. It was just part of the process - never anything personal. I'd say bring it back.
    Platinum/100%: -Fallout 3- -Call of Duty: World at War- -Bioshock- -Modern Warfare 2- -Bioshock 2- -Bioshock: Infinite- -Call of Duty: Black Ops-

Selected Members Council
    Quote Originally Posted by 33x View Post
    MKS, if youre so desperate to see them....COME BACK ON THE FRIGGING STAFF!!
    Bro, I'm not about that life anymore.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 08-19-2014 at 18:05.

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    I see over 50% of the active members have voted... that's more than the UK votes for government elections!

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

11. Likes Captncoke49, Omar likes this post
    Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    I agree with turning off Likes for that subforum if it means we can resume public infractions and bans.
    Yea, I don't see why we need to be able to like the post. Turn off likes and if not already, comments as well.

Or we can do like another forum I go to. In their announcements sub-forum they have a thread called the Wall of Shame where they simply list the name, length of ban, reason and when they will return. That way people can see if or how long a certain member has been banned.

I personally don't care whether bans/infractions are showed or not. I've had one infraction and it made me care more about what I was posting, because I didn't want people to see my name in that area.

Finally You Are Free
    Shaming banned members is certainly not the way to go about it.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttech10 View Post
    Or we can do like another forum I go to. In their announcements sub-forum they have a thread called the Wall of Shame where they simply list the name, length of ban, reason and when they will return. That way people can see if or how long a certain member has been banned.
    That's literally exactly what was done in the past, just without the "shame" part. It was just part of the whole procedure. I don't know why anyone would be annoyed or upset over it.
    Platinum/100%: -Fallout 3- -Call of Duty: World at War- -Bioshock- -Modern Warfare 2- -Bioshock 2- -Bioshock: Infinite- -Call of Duty: Black Ops-

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    Shaming banned members is certainly not the way to go about it.
    I don't really think there's much shaming in it other than the name. The name is more lighthearted than anything. Most who do something to end up on the list just kind of shrug it off and don't feel shamed in the least (most joke about it the day they return). The name can simply be Bans & Infractions.

Don't see the problem of having a list of banned users, the length of the ban and the reason (maybe a link to the post or posts that caused their ban). It has been a while since I saw the infraction and ban sub-section but I believe we had a dedicated thread for every instance. I think a single thread to cover all of them would be better, as it wouldn't exactly single out each user as the system before did, and members could easily check to see if a specific member has been banned. I use the list on the site posted often in order to see if certain members aren't posting because they've been banned or because they've been busy.

young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by 33x View Post
    You lot are just nosy!
    Thats because we know what you are like. the fact you are still on the staff is a travesty in itself

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    like a jury in a sense?
    This would be a $#@!ing terrible idea. Popularity would win out and the forums would spend their whole time at war.

Quote Originally Posted by -Shafty- View Post
    I liked the infraction thread, especially when it linked to the offending posts/threads i usually miss the threads where it kicks off so that was a chance to go and read it

Bring it back you rebels!
    pretty much this.

Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you GSK. I think long term bans are fine to bring to the community because of course everyone wanted to know why someone was banned for a long time. But I don't think week long bans should be brought to everyone's attention. Or if someone wants to contest. This is simply my opinion. All other staff may not agree. But I feel if a member feels we made the wrong decision there is nothing wrong with looking to the community for their opinion on if we made the right decision.
    No way can we ask the community. See above response.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    I haven't voted yet. Still dwelling on it. But if bans are publicized then I believe everything leading up to a ban should be publicized. Except for spam, bans are the results of a series of events. To have the whole picture, people need to see the history behind a ban. Otherwise, there will be a lot of "he was banned just for that?"
    The old system we literally had a default formatt where you could fill in the reasons why. Often Mods would post "you have received multiple warnings etc" and quote the old PM's sent to users with the posts etc etc. The whole process argument, is the reason they bought in the points leading to a ban, because at time, funny popular members did get away with a bit more than newer members.

Quote Originally Posted by -Shafty- View Post
    I see over 50% of the active members have voted... that's more than the UK votes for government elections!
    "Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"

Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    If this makes time travel possible I'll go forward in time voluntarily to get my hands on CoD34 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. They come out in the same year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkk View Post
    I dont think i could take a dick, 1. im not gay and 2 one time i stuck my finger in my butt to see how it felt and i wasn't very pleased with the experience

Forum Overseer

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelbo1 View Post
    Thats because we know what you are like. the fact you are still on the staff is a travesty in itself
    they have to keep him around because of affirmative action XD

Selected Members Council
    *cue angry rap song*

reaper of souls
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelbo1 View Post
    This would be a $#@!ing terrible idea. Popularity would win out and the forums would spend their whole time at war.
    don't know why you quoted me it wasn't even my idea

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    don't know why you quoted me it wasn't even my idea
    Yeah it was!

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

21. Likes Sylar likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    yes, it shows that things are being dealt with and in a public forum so to speak
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Selected Members Council
    Just wondering if the forum staff have discussed this topic internally?

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    I am keeping tabs on the voting.

An infraction thread can always be actioned. I'd like to think of better ways that we can go about doing this using VB.
    Just wondering if the forum staff have discussed this topic internally?
    Yes...well actually, this was brought up (more-or-less) at the same time we started discussing a bunch of other issues (this included). We stopped discussing it when the members started discussing it here

But yes, we are aware of poll results.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    what other better ways are there, in house or out in the public eye... Both fits the solution
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Master Guru
    Here i thought everyone was just on their best behavior. I kept thinking, "Wow, not a single infraction in months. Let alone a ban". It was like the console wars had ended. Now i find out it was all a fallacy.

But yeah, make it public again. Those who can't follow the rules deserve to lose their privacy in my book. Someone robs a bank, you hear about it right? What's the difference here? Plus it makes it easier to find out why someone just randomly disappeared.

Personal story: When i first started here i got a few infractions but wasn't banned. Once i got a few infractions i made the choice to become a better poster. Not only because i chose to grow up a little but because i didn't want to see that $#@! on my account. I think making information public probably deters a few people from acting the way they act. It helped me. Idiots will still idiot but yeah. Funny thing is, someone here actually chased me around another forum claiming i had been banned here a bunch of times and i said "Check the infractions and bans forum back at PSU. Or ask any mod to dig up the history". I got a few infractions my first couple years here (6 years ago). I was never banned. Not even for a day.

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    ban-him.gif

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    This is old but since I've been away for a good while I'll chime in. Bring these back. I have to be honest, I liked looking to see who got banned or an infraction and why. To me it was just flat out funny and I would look to see who got one and once I saw a person I recognized on the forums, I would be like "Bahahahahaha" :P. Nothing wrong with it at all, it makes the forums more entertaining. I say bring it back since this is clearly not something causing a lack of people in the forums.

Selected Members Council
    It is old, yes, but I still don't know what's been decided so it's good that you bumped it.

Thread Information