Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim

Gamescom 2014: Day Z Coming to PlayStation 4

Liked the look of this on PC so tempted to give it a go when it becomes live:

During the 2014 Sony Gamescom conference, Bohemia Interactive head Dean "Rocket" Hall took to the stage to announce that DayZ will be coming to the PlayStation 4.

“Creating the PS4 version has given us cause to expand the overall project,” Hall said. The apocalyptic multiplayer action game passed 2 million copies sold on PC in May and has continued to be one of the most popular multiplayer games on the platform.
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Dedicated Member
    It's currently still quite clunky, and there are a lot of bugs...but it's been my go to game for multiplayer fun for almost 2 years now (I'm including the mod, of course).

It's a unique and thrilling experience, and I haven't played a game that gets my heart rate up as intensely as dayz. The slow pace is refreshing, but things can get crazy, weird, and interesting very quickly. I've found myself in some really interesting situations.

Anyway, I think expanding to the consoles is a good thing.
    i7 4770 | 2x EVGA GTX 780 ti SC ACX SLI | 32GB
    i7 3770 | EVGA SC GTX 580 3GB​ | 16GB

Forum Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Gamescom 2014: Day Z Coming to PlayStation 4

Good news for PS4 gamers. I haven't played the stand alone much as in the current state with Overpoch I find the mod a much more fulfilling experience

I can vouch for it though. Such a fun game and I've got countless fun stories about this game and the hundreds of hours I've spent in Chernarus.

My favourite is me and two of my friends stalking some other players as they were stupid enough to talk over public chat and explain what they were doing so we followed them for about 2 hours hoping they'd lead us to their base but just before they got to their base another group of bandits killed them so we just sniped the guys who killed them from about 800meters away

Oh how I love being a bandit. Being a hero is fun but no where near the fun of being a bandit

Word of advice. Depending how they do it on the PS4. Most the servers are real time so it's night time for a good few hours. Unless you've got a set of Night Vision Goggles - which are found at helicopter crash sites, I wouldn't even risk going out because it is dark.
    Last edited by BBK..; 08-18-2014 at 14:00.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    Wanted to play this for a while but was to lazy to reinstall Win8 on my mac.

Seems I will be waiting for the PS4 version now.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by MjW View Post
    Wanted to play this for a while but was to lazy to reinstall Win8 on my mac.

Seems I will be waiting for the PS4 version now.
    If you must have zombies then just wait for H1Z1. If you just want big open world survival game wait for Wild.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    If you must have zombies then just wait for H1Z1. If you just want big open world survival game wait for Wild.
    Both H1Z1 and WiLD sound great. A slight difference is that DayZ is great. Played it for a while over at a friend's and was impressed.

The downside of all three is their TBD release date on PS4.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by MjW View Post
    Both H1Z1 and WiLD sound great. A slight difference is that DayZ is great. Played it for a while over at a friend's and was impressed.

The downside of all three is their TBD release date on PS4.
    Day Z has been in a incomplete state with minor updates for almost a year now. It is completely untrustworthy. H1Z1 is from SOE so you know it will get done and it will be F2P. Wild also has Sony money behind it but not many details about it.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Incomplete, buggy, I agree. I still found it a lot of fun.

Forum Sage
    Yeah even with the bugs the game is fun. It really has to be played to be appreciated to truly understand how fun it is. Or just watch Frankie and JackFrags videos, quite a few of them by now.

Truth be told the Standalone is good but the mod of Arma 2 is actually better as there are a few mods of the mod. Overpoch is good because it allows you to build bases, trade items and there is a currency system so it makes finding loot a bit more fun as you can occasionally find guns/loot that are very rare and trade them for a nice amount of cash.

It actually makes it more fun hunting people as now you get chance of stealing someones expensive loot so there is now more of a reason to be a bandit. Works both ways though, I was driving an SUV filled up with loot at least 150,000 worth of gold coins and someone sniped me and i died then and there. Never found out who killed me

10. Likes MjW likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    zex494
    Seems too little too late. I suspect they wanna cash in now that they see Sony gamers are getting H1Z1
    I had no intentions of becoming a leader. It is as a warrior how I shall be remembered, but these are hardly numbers worth dying for.
    -Zechs Merquise

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by zex494 View Post
    Seems too little too late. I suspect they wanna cash in now that they see Sony gamers are getting H1Z1
    PC players would argue the opposite. H1Z1 is coming out on PC, before PS4, where DayZ has been out for a year.

DayZ on PS4 wasn't started at Gamescom, Dean Hall left DayZ dev team at the start of the year to work on "other projects", this was probably it.

And making that decision wouldn't have been easy, it would have taken months prior to commencement deliberating whether the PS4 could cut it.
    DayZ runs on Bohemia Interactives Arma 2 engine, with bits of it updated to their Arma 3 engine. Arma is optimized for single threaded calculations. And even 4.3 GHz i7's cry running Arma. So with that knowledge, looking at the poultry 1.6GHz (estimated) low powered CPU in the PS4 must have been quite daunting.

Getting DayZ to run on PS4 will require extensive rewritting of Arma code to allow better multithreaded calculations. This should mean the DayZ PC experience will benefit too.

This is probably be a reason why the PS4 was chosen, not as a cash grab, but a solid baseline to focus development of the game in its entirety - Bettering the game as a whole. The ARMA engine has extensive ballistics modelling and is used by real world armies (i know for a fact the British army uses it)...H1Z1 will use Planetside 2's engine, and while great, doesn't have the same 'feel' as ARMA when shooting people 1KM away
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

13. Likes zex494 likes this post
    Forum Guru
    Indeed, they also stated that the game will be ready in 3 years..
    This would indicate a really big changes, hopefully they will have a proper job based system for multi-threading.

Most likely they will be writing PC version of the new engine for a DX12 from the start as well.
    Overall quite exiting times for ARMA and DayZ
    'no, no one in their sane mind uses OpenGL on PS3' - Repi
    'nope, PS3 uses a wonderful low-level API called libgcm' - Repi

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    zex494
    ah, i get ya. Had no idea there were tech hurdles to leap. I just never understood why it showed up on 360 n not Ps3 being an unfinished game and all. thanks for clearing that up
    I had no intentions of becoming a leader. It is as a warrior how I shall be remembered, but these are hardly numbers worth dying for.
    -Zechs Merquise

Dedicated Member
    H1Z1 will probably be a lot of fun, but it's not really positioned to be a replacement for DayZ, which is more of a simulator than H1Z1 is setting out to be. Both will likely be fun in the end, but the experiences each are offering are not the same. I'm sure we'll see lots of posts in the future like this: Should I get DayZ or H1Z1? And the answer depends on the sort of experience you'd like to have (i.e. more simulator or less simulator).
    i7 4770 | 2x EVGA GTX 780 ti SC ACX SLI | 32GB
    i7 3770 | EVGA SC GTX 580 3GB​ | 16GB

Thread Information