Elite Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

LG's 34-inch 21:9 monitor has convinced me that ultrawide is better than 4K

Having spent a long time using 4K monitors I’ve become a bit jaded about next-gen gaming resolutions. They don't tangibly deliver anything above what you can get from a beautiful 27-inch IPS 1440p screen. The problem is, while 4K does deliver a huge upgrade in terms of pixel count, it doesn’t make a huge difference in games where the texture resolution hasn’t changed. All you’re really doing is shanking your frame rate in return for the possibility of being able to knock your anti-aliasing settings down a notch. If you want a dramatic upgrade of your gaming monitor you should have a good think about the new ultrawide 34-inch 21:9 screens trickling out of all good monitor manufacturers’ factories at the moment.
    4K enthusiasts might talk up the benefits of increased desktop real estate, and that would be a valid stance if it weren’t for the fact the affordable 4K screens are all 28-inch and at 100% scaling it’s real hard to read anything without your nose touching the panel. Advances in desktop and browser scaling mean you can increase the size of fonts, icons and web pages, but then you’ve got to say bye-bye to that extra space.
    The extra width of a 21:9 screen provides an extra dimension to your games that 4K simply can’t. The impact is dramatic, and something that really does need to be experienced to get the full effect.

I've had 4K panels on my desk in the office and that barely raised a flicker of interest, but as soon as I fired up the LG 34UM95, a crowd swarmed the testing desk—not seen since we last had the Oculus Rift out. Mac Format and Imagine FX watched enraptured as we blazed through asteroid fields in Elite: Dangerous, swapped hot lead with internet people in Battlefield 4 and sat slack-jawed at the superwide HD trailer for Chris Nolan’s Interstellar.
    You may not spend much time, if any, looking at the far edges of the ultrawide display, but the extra visual cues you get from the extra peripheral vision makes a huge difference in-game. We have seen 21:9 panels before, but the 29-inch 2560x1080 screens just felt too cramped in the vertical space to use on a Windows desktop. This 3440x1440 resolution however looks fantastic even when you’re not in-game.

Another bonus: you’re not crushing your poor GPU shifting up to this ultrawide res. There’s just under 40% more pixels in this 21:9 panel than there is in a standard 2560x1440 screen. With 4K resolutions you’re looking at more than a 120% increase in pixels for your graphics card to have to cope with.
    The only problem right now is price. At around £800 / $1300 this LG 34UM95 is simply too expensive to be a realistic option, but there will be other companies releasing cheaper versions which will essentially have the same screen. AOC and Philips are bringing out similar spec panels for the same price as their affordable 4K screens—those are going to be the real tempters in this new range of gaming display.

Source

Just the article I needed to read after just buying my first 2560x1440 display

It looks really, really nice though. But I think my new display will be fine for a few years. A bit jealous about the 40% increase over my new resolution though! And I'm someone who likes a nice wide FOV so this would've been perfect for me.

Guess I'll just have to enjoy the 144Hz and GSync for now

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Try Chivalry in 21:9 its amazing!!

Elite Sage
    Would probably look strange on My screen. Though Chivalry is such a fun game. Endless laughs provided

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    So did you ever get that Asus monitor they took forever to get to you?
    Asus makes a 21:9 as well - http://www.amazon.com/MX299Q-29-Inch...ds=Asus+MX299Q

Oh and i bring the Charts!!!

5. Likes BBK.. likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Nope, I've got to wait until the end of this month before I get it. Very annoying. I love me a good chart :P

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Gives you almost 2/3 of the width that 3x1080p monitors does without the bezels getting in the way.
    Can you still see through wall in Counterstrike and Team fortress using super wide resolutions?
    Last edited by keefy; 08-19-2014 at 12:02.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    SVGA FTW!!!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

9. Likes $Greatness$ likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Can you still see through wall in Counterstrike and Team fortress using super wide resolutions?
    I never knew that cheat/hack/exploit even existed.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Gives you almost 2/3 of the width that 3x1080p monitors does without the bezels getting in the way.
    It's the reason why I've always wondered why they're all googly eyed over super wide screens. If I wanted one then I would want a resolution of at least 32:9 or 32:10. The 21:9 resolution is basically 2 old fashioned 4:3's put together and it's a resolution I used to have. If I wanted to go for 21:9 then I'd need 2 of them to make up for the width lost. With triple screens though the bezel doesn't really get in the way as the central monitor is what you look at most of the time.

Oh and BBK, we'll have to see the difference between our monitors when they arrive at about the same time.

Forum Overseer

Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    Source

It looks really, really nice though. But I think my new display will be fine for a few years. A bit jealous about the 40% increase over my new resolution though! And I'm someone who likes a nice wide FOV so this would've been perfect for me.

Guess I'll just have to enjoy the 144Hz and GSync for now [/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
    or just sell yours and get this.

Supreme Veteran
    I never knew that cheat/hack/exploit even existed.
    You have to hug the wall close and angle the mouse then the camera clips through the wall and you can see enemies ont he other side. Not tried it myself for ages which is why I wondered and asked.

http://youtu.be/8RHPfriN4wI?t=1m34s
    Last edited by keefy; 08-19-2014 at 17:52.

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar View Post
    or just sell yours and get this.
    Why would I do that when my screen is the ultimate gaming monitor

When Linus says it, it must be true
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    Oh and BBK, we'll have to see the difference between our monitors when they arrive at about the same time.
    Your monitor will look beautiful compared to my low res 1440p Your monitor has GSync as well right? I can't wait to use it, apparently it feels like a next generation step up.
    Last edited by BBK..; 08-19-2014 at 17:57.

Supreme Veteran
    LOL it has a cross hair overlay. How lame is that?

Asus come out with some really lame exploits, like that sonic radar mode which shows on screen the direction the audio is coming from.
    Last edited by keefy; 08-19-2014 at 18:11.

16. Likes BBK.. likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Haha, yeah I doubt I'd ever use it tbh. Anyway, like you pointed out a lot of games have started putting the crosshair off centre so it wouldn't even work with most games.

Dedicated Member
    Source

Guess I'll just have to enjoy the 144Hz and GSync for now [/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]

Full Screen The Order: 1886 for you!
    Sleeping very soundly on a Saturday morning I was dreaming
    I was Al Capone
    There's a rumour going round, gotta clear outta town
    I'm smelling like a dry fish bone
    Here come the Law, gonna break down the door, gonna carry me
    away once more
    Never, never, never get it any more
    Gotta get away from this stone cold floor
    Crazy
    Stone cold crazy, you know

Forum Overseer

Why would I do that when my screen is the ultimate gaming monitor

When Linus says it, it must be true

Your monitor will look beautiful compared to my low res 1440p Your monitor has GSync as well right? I can't wait to use it, apparently it feels like a next generation step up.
    well you made me feel bad for you for a sec in your OP so it's not my fault. lol

Elite Sage
    Ha, nope I'm happy with my monitor (whenever it decides to turn up) but I'm just surprised at how good ultrawide looks. That LG is too big for me anyway and I was waiting for the Asus since January anyway

Forum Overseer

yeah, i don't know if i'd be happy with a 34" monitor, you should look at one in person to see if that's something you'd even like...it might also make you feel better that you made the right choice. or it may help you realize that you made a grave mistake and live with it, either way, do it.

Elite Sage
    Yeah would be nice to see it in person but theres no dedicated PC hardware shops in Bristol. The fact it isn't 120Hz+ and missing GSync puts a smile on my face

Forum Overseer

Yeah would be nice to see it in person but theres no dedicated PC hardware shops in Bristol. The fact it isn't 120Hz+ and missing GSync puts a smile on my face
    seeing how those features matter to you, i would definitely say that the bigger size wouldn't be a big deal. not unless you say that it's OLED which i'm sure it's not XD

Thread Information