Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Dedicated Member
    Syphon_Filter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Canada, Toronto
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,379
    Rep Power
    63
    Points
    7,116 (0 Banked)
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3

    Can I use this Seagate Expansion 2TB to backup my PS3 games?

    Well, since I got my PS3 the old model and I have suffered losing all my gamed due to the system failure. Yesterday my super slim PS3 for the first time it frozen and I got a message saying the system is overheated but now it seems ok. Still I'm scared of losing all my games and I do have lot's of games. I came across this external HDD. Can I use this external HDD to backup all my PS3 games? I have never done this process before. Thanks for any help.
    http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=050289


    CPU: I7 3820-GPU: Asus Gtx 980 4GB-Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79-HDD: Seagate 2TB-CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X-TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000-PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD-PS3 Slim 750GB-PS VITA 32GB.

  2. #2
    Elite Guru
    Alpha2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,844
    Rep Power
    74
    Points
    2,612 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon_Filter View Post
    Well, since I got my PS3 the old model and I have suffered losing all my gamed due to the system failure. Yesterday my super slim PS3 for the first time it frozen and I got a message saying the system is overheated but now it seems ok. Still I'm scared of losing all my games and I do have lot's of games. I came across this external HDD. Can I use this external HDD to backup all my PS3 games? I have never done this process before. Thanks for any help.
    http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=050289
    Most likely yeah, as long as it's properly formatted most USB hardrives will do for the PS3 back up. It doesn't even have to be the same size as the PS3 drive as long as your PS3 isn't full (I managed to back up my 500gb PS3 drive to a 250gb external).

    But there's a major issue with the back up process that Sony doesn't really explain, because I don't think they planned the function for this purpose. If you're backing up your PS3 drive to upgrade to another larger drive that's going back into the same PS3 (like going from a 60gb to a 320gb as I did at first) that's fine, and you should be able to recover all your games and saved content. If you're backing it up to transfer to another PS3 you'll only get your media files (MP3s and photos) and games saves. So you're going to be forced to re-download all of your games again anyway, but you will have your saves if you can keep your PS3 on for about 2 hours (the time it usually takes to make the backup).

    Alternatively, you can buy a new PS3 instead and use the transfer method to retain all your content, but that requires having two working PS3s and most people aren't aware their system is dying until it's dead. If you feel like the old system can take it you have that option, otherwise you might as well just copy your game saves to a usb flash drive (and hope that some of them aren't copy protected and wont allow the save to be removed from the system, unless you use the back up or transfer method).
    Last edited by Alpha2; 08-19-2014 at 06:44.
    _____________________________________________
    My Comic Publisher - http://www.angryvikingpress.com
    My Comic - http://avpressstaff.dot5hosting.com/hiawg1.html

  3. #3
    Superior Member
    Bhindi_Bhajji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    35
    Posts
    875
    Rep Power
    66
    Points
    593 (0 Banked)
    If it's just saves you want to backup then you could get PS+ for a month (if you don't already have it), backup saves to the cloud, job done and for cheaper than buying an external hard drive.

    Downloaded games won't transfer with the backup unfortunately so you'll have to re-download them...unless that's changed since I last had a go at it some years ago.

  4. #4
    Dedicated Member
    Syphon_Filter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Canada, Toronto
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,379
    Rep Power
    63
    Points
    7,116 (0 Banked)
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha2 View Post
    Most likely yeah, as long as it's properly formatted most USB hardrives will do for the PS3 back up. It doesn't even have to be the same size as the PS3 drive as long as your PS3 isn't full (I managed to back up my 500gb PS3 drive to a 250gb external).

    But there's a major issue with the back up process that Sony doesn't really explain, because I don't think they planned the function for this purpose. If you're backing up your PS3 drive to upgrade to another larger drive that's going back into the same PS3 (like going from a 60gb to a 320gb as I did at first) that's fine, and you should be able to recover all your games and saved content. If you're backing it up to transfer to another PS3 you'll only get your media files (MP3s and photos) and games saves. So you're going to be forced to re-download all of your games again anyway, but you will have your saves if you can keep your PS3 on for about 2 hours (the time it usually takes to make the backup).

    Alternatively, you can buy a new PS3 instead and use the transfer method to retain all your content, but that requires having two working PS3s and most people aren't aware their system is dying until it's dead. If you feel like the old system can take it you have that option, otherwise you might as well just copy your game saves to a usb flash drive (and hope that some of them aren't copy protected and wont allow the save to be removed from the system, unless you use the back up or transfer method).
    No I won't transfer my full games to another PS3 nor upgrading my PS3 HDD. I just want to be save if my PS3 die than I won't have to re-download all PSN games to the same PS3 system. I don't care about the game saves as they are copied to my USB stick. I just want to have my all downloaded PS3 games on this external HDD just to be ready if my PS3 die and when I will get it back. I will not have to re-download all my games and so on. Is that ok to do or no? I just want to backup my downloaded games.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhindi_Bhajji View Post
    If it's just saves you want to backup then you could get PS+ for a month (if you don't already have it), backup saves to the cloud, job done and for cheaper than buying an external hard drive.

    Downloaded games won't transfer with the backup unfortunately so you'll have to re-download them...unless that's changed since I last had a go at it some years ago.
    I don't want the game saves I want my full downloaded games and if I can't back them up, than its useless for me to get this external HDD. Dam! Problems problems.


    CPU: I7 3820-GPU: Asus Gtx 980 4GB-Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79-HDD: Seagate 2TB-CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X-TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000-PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD-PS3 Slim 750GB-PS VITA 32GB.

  5. #5
    Superior Member
    Bhindi_Bhajji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    35
    Posts
    875
    Rep Power
    66
    Points
    593 (0 Banked)
    Restoring to the same PS3 should be fine, it's only when moving to a new unit the games won't transfer.

  6. #6
    Ultimate Veteran
    AaronSOLDIER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Age
    22
    Posts
    20,852
    Rep Power
    120
    Points
    71,216 (0 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yeah games can't be stored on an external.

    Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

  7. #7
    Elite Guru
    Alpha2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,844
    Rep Power
    74
    Points
    2,612 (0 Banked)
    Yeah sorry man, I tried starting a complaint thread about it on the official Playstation forums years ago saying how useless it is in real world application, but it seems everyone was fine with re-downloading hundreds of gb of data when their systems failed. I've had to redownload hundreds of games and DLC files like 3 times now from yellow light deaths.

    I suspect they probably haven't fixed that for the PS4 either.
    Last edited by Alpha2; 08-22-2014 at 08:28.
    _____________________________________________
    My Comic Publisher - http://www.angryvikingpress.com
    My Comic - http://avpressstaff.dot5hosting.com/hiawg1.html

  8. #8
    Dedicated Member
    Syphon_Filter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Canada, Toronto
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,379
    Rep Power
    63
    Points
    7,116 (0 Banked)
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha2 View Post
    Yeah sorry man, I tried starting a complaint thread about it on the official Playstation forums years ago saying how useless it is in real world application, but it seems everyone was fine with re-downloading hundreds of gb of data when their systems failed. I've had to redownload hundreds of games and DLC files like 3 times now from yellow light deaths.

    I suspect they probably haven't fixed that for the PS4 either.
    Ohh man that's mean we are stuck again. If God forbid my PS3 will die again. I have to re-download over 700 GB of games. But at lease with the PS4 disc will have most of the data and not to install 50 or 55 GB of data unless you bought the item digital which I will never do with PS4 due to size of the games.


    CPU: I7 3820-GPU: Asus Gtx 980 4GB-Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79-HDD: Seagate 2TB-CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X-TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000-PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD-PS3 Slim 750GB-PS VITA 32GB.

  9. #9
    Supreme Veteran
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    18,198
    Rep Power
    129
    Points
    66,528 (0 Banked)
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I guess its to stop copying the games easily, but in turn it $#@!s over customers when they upgrade hard drives or and such.
    But would like to add that you do not have to re download all your games, just download the ones you want to play as you want to play them. No point wasting space on a game you will not play any time soon.
    That is what the "cloud" is for, let it store the bulk and then you pick and chose the games.
    Last edited by keefy; 09-08-2014 at 17:07.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.