Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece

Ubisoft Interested in EA Access-Like Program

Just last month, Electronic Arts announced a subscription-based service called EA Access, which allows gamers to enjoy a library of select titles from the publisher's catalog so long as they shell out $4.99 a month or $29.99 a year to be a member.

Naturally, other major publishers are keeping a watch full eye on how gamers take to the service, and Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot is unsurprisingly one of them.

"I think it makes the publisher more important in the player’s mind," he told GameInformer when asked about his thoughts on EA's new service. "Often, people are only interested in one brand from a publisher, so they don’t look for other brands. When you buy into something like Access, you can try other things for free and discover other things you like. It’s a way to make sure gamers can get more info on what we do and the diversity of our portfolio."

So does that mean can we expect Ubi to release a similar service down the line? It sure sounds like a real possibility, as Mr. Guillemot went on to add:
    When you look on your console, you have many channels and you want that diversity. Instead of saying everything’s in one place, we can say ‘Okay, try these channels: EA, Ubi, Activision.’

We are still in the process of studying what it can do. We are open to any way that can give players access to our games. It has to work well and be a smooth experience.

Would you like to see other major publishers release services of their own that are similar to EA Access? I'm sure Sony wouldn't be too happy.
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Im so happy i stopped caring about EA and Ubisoft games. Im also ready for your bull$#@! Activision.

3. Likes $Greatness$ likes this post
    Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    i said this would be the case in the "Sony Passed on EA Access" thread.

The publishers really don't give a monkeys about the consumer. They're merely a revenue stream. Sony and Microsoft currently monopolise their own hardware, as indeed they should, this is merely the publishers pandering to the consumers to stop them [sony and MS] from doing so. Thereby undermining their authority.

Wherein they'll further their agenda, to the detriment of others. They don't care.

As i said in the other thread, Sony looks out for every game title it launches. Their job is to promote new and interesting ideas that separate it from it's competitors ie, Microsoft.

The only competitor to Ubisoft, EA, and activision are other game studios, so they have no reason to promote anything they don't own.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    and so it begins....
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Forum Overseer
    ubisoft sucks though. so does EA. lol. i'll stick to buying games.

Elite Guru
    Well it will surely be better than EA Access, I look around that on X1 and it is a fairly dim selection of games.

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    gold106gti
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Didn't care about EA access so I won't care about Ubisoft access either, like Omar said I shall just stick to buying physical copies for PS4 games and use PS Now for everything else!
    PSN ID: gold106gti

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    bond4ever007
    I don't like this new trend... I really don't

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Didn't care about EA access so I won't care about Ubisoft access either, like Omar said I shall just stick to buying physical copies for PS4 games and use PS Now for everything else!
    You will care when a game you want is exclusive to that service and you are either forced to pay for the service or skip the game. This is the future we are heading to so everyone should care about this and call out the bull$#@!.

11. Likes Shingo likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    bond4ever007
    Start a petition!

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaas View Post
    Start a petition!

Only time i have ever seen a petition work was getting Dark Souls 1 on PC and thats because Fromsoft are awesome and listen and i think the opposite about these huge 3rd parties.

14. Likes Shingo likes this post
    Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    gold106gti
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    You will care when a game you want is exclusive to that service and you are either forced to pay for the service or skip the game. This is the future we are heading to so everyone should care about this and call out the bull$#@!.
    That would just be a stupid thing to do and end up shooting themselves in the foot!

Forum Sage
    Not going to happen.

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    gold106gti
    I don't think it's going to be as successful as EA hope it's going to be!

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    I cant stand Ubisoft any more, I got sick of their bull$#@! about 4 years ago, everything they do is to the detriment of the gamers who to them are just sheep and evidence seems to suggest they think gamers will swallow anything they shovel out.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    I cant stand Ubisoft/EA/Activision any more, I got sick of their bull$#@! about 4 years ago, everything they do is to the detriment of the gamers who to them are just sheep and evidence seems to suggest they think gamers will swallow anything they shovel out.
    Fixed your post and i agree.

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    gold106gti
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    I cant stand Ubisoft any more, I got sick of their bull$#@! about 4 years ago, everything they do is to the detriment of the gamers who to them are just sheep and evidence seems to suggest they think gamers will swallow anything they shovel out.
    They are getting much like EA in that respect too, I generally think that EA access won't be as popular as EA might think especially as it's only on Xbox, only time will tell but it's not the first time they have done something like this, they released origin as an opposition to steam!

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    For consoles it is a very bad thing agreed, however for PC it isn't a bad thing due to the way PC works. Here are my thoughts on it as a whole though:

If you are the kind of gamer that prefers to sell their games after purchase then $30/y is actually a very good deal. Considering you will have access to their entire library (in case of the PC everything) then you can essentially play the games you want, complete them, get all the achievements you want and all of that at most likely a cheaper cost than it is to purchase the game and selling it on - you would save money in this regard. $5/y per game is fair enough too as you would also still be saving money compared to purchasing and reselling, being able to play a game like Battlefield 4 for 3 years straight would cost you no more than $15 including all expansion packs, if you think about it it's a very very good deal for the consumer.

The bad news is that, like you said, the console manufacturers would be losing out an enormous amount of revenue as games would no longer be sold but instead "rented". A way for Microsoft and even Sony to compensate for this is to change their one-off licensing fee that they charge to sell their games on their console to a subscription based system themselves. This way for every game a publisher has on a particular platform then they must pay a percentage of the annual fee consumers pay for their subscription service on that platform. It can quite easily be done and this is the way console manufacturers need to start keeping up to date with the world and not set in their old ways.

Another bad thing is that physical media will die out. While I do like physical media over other things, even I have given in to digital distribution now on PCs. For consoles though it is different, very different. For a lot of people DD is fine as they'll simply sell their old consoles anyway, but for those that hoard consoles like myself then having a physical media is the best thing in case we want to hook-up that old SNES again - but if that had only DD games then I would be screwed. At least with PCs it's a single continuous platform so there aren't any of these issues.

They have to at least have a medium where games can be purchased outright though because of the reasons I just mentioned in the above paragraph, but times are changing and we all have to pretty much just have to learn to get used to a new system.

While it does benefit consumers in one way, it also doesn't in another so there are two ways of looking at it I guess. Personally I still prefer purchasing games outright over a subscription service. For others though they rent games and don't purchase them so this is the ideal service for them.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    welshboymick
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    If you are the kind of gamer that prefers to sell their games after purchase then $30/y is actually a very good deal. Considering you will have access to their entire library (in case of the PC everything) then you can essentially play the games you want, complete them, get all the achievements you want and all of that at most likely a cheaper cost than it is to purchase the game and selling it on - you would save money in this regard. $5/y per game is fair enough too as you would also still be saving money compared to purchasing and reselling, being able to play a game like Battlefield 4 for 3 years straight would cost you no more than $15 including all expansion packs, if you think about it it's a very very good deal for the consumer.
    I'm not convinced really. I think for a budget gamer it does sort of work, as a £30 outlay per year for, say, a new game every 2 months is okay with some people. It just depends on whether that library of games is forever open to you, as I don't think EA ever said it was. I know people compare it to Netflix, but a lot of games don't age that well anyway, in comparison to films or TV shows (FIFA 14 is worthless this time next month).

I can see it more working with Ubisoft though, as they don't do sports. Also wonder if they could easily port older titles to a subscription system.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    True about sports titles, they are pretty much obsolete when the new season starts and this is where EA have problems. Ubisoft don't really have these issues as even their game sequels do not make the previous titles obsolete at all. This is their advantage over EA for sure, and for PC it would be a bargain. Like you said though they must open up their entire library.

Master Sage
    Good thing Sony are 10 steps ahead on this.

I'd like to talk about the EA Access issue. Sony put out a strongly-worded statement that suggested it wasn't good value for PlayStation customers. The reaction from some was, we'd like that decision for ourselves. We'd like the choice. How do you feel about that reaction?

The statement might look aggressive. But the thinking behind it is, we just do not look at one proposition, like EA Access. We look at the whole offering of the titles or services on the platform, and we thought about the impact of having something like that as a new symptom. If every publisher follows suit, and as a consumer you have to choose by publisher which service to subscribe to, that's not something we believe is best for consumers.

So we are not just looking at that one proposition. We were thinking about the impact that might have for the future offering of products and services on PlayStation.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-10m-ps4-sales

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    All this is BS and I hope EA, Ubi and Activision all lose serious money on this $#@!.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    All this is BS and I hope EA, Ubi and Activision all lose serious money on this $#@!.
    Activision havent announced anything yet. They are the only ones with no service of any kind. EA has Origin and now their new access $#@! and Ubisoft have Uplay and possibly new access $#@!. Activision has nothing as far as i am aware of which makes them the lesser of the evils.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Activision havent announced anything yet. They are the only ones with no service of any kind. EA has Origin and now their new access $#@! and Ubisoft have Uplay and possibly new access $#@!. Activision has nothing as far as i am aware of which makes them the lesser of the evils.
    How does it make them lesser? They will jump in just like all the other *****. Activision is their own evil at the moment.

Luckily for me I stick closely to SONY first party. They produce enough games and a varied selection to fill up most of my gaming time.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaas View Post
    I don't like this new trend... I really don't

Said this back in 2008. I knew then I was in a world of hurt. Day one DLC, patches and casual games commence. What a dreaded time. Gah!

$Greatness$ Awaits™

Thread Information