Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    The gaming media is the equivalent to Fox News - it can't be taken seriously. If anything, it's more like a soap opera that likes to take things out of proportion.
    I'm saying that even the media didn't take it out of proportion (that's why I brought them up.) They were trying to understand the value of the deal from all perspectives (CD, MS, SE.) They could have easily done what they've done in the past and play up to the console war for more hits.

They couldn't or didn't do that for various reasons, the biggest being the last Tomb Raider game was already released on all platforms. This game is a sequel to that.

And again, the decision to release the game on other platforms first wasn't just made overnight (and certainly not to pods off PS owners). There was money involved (and lots of it since MS is behind it) and the investors seemed to think it'd make financial sense in the long run. That's maths for you.
    Based on the first couple of posts here and the overall reaction I think people know why the deal was made. They got a fixed amount of money to guarantee first debut on a platform. We're all on the same page when it comes to that.

In the long run (this remains to be seen) it may not hurt them that much -- and I am certain they calculated the risks -- but they still chose or showed a lack of confidence in their title; it's not like they wouldn't have made money by releasing on all platforms -- who knows they could have made more money that way. A fixed amount of money is a fixed amount of money and does guarantee a set amount of funding, they basically got a safety net.

Just look at the $50 million dollars spent for GTA exclusivity not too long ago. It didn't hurt the franchise as a whole and still greatly benefited the publisher. It was a win-win situation for them. So why not take it?
    I guess we will see.

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I hope this exclusive deal bombs on xbone n the ps4 version out sells it 5 to1

3. Likes DarkNemesis likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    It quite often happens where they push it out on PC later on, but I cant think of too many console games.
    Mass Effect really wasn't, as that was more of a case a change of owner.

DLC, yeah that happens all the time, but I am struggling to think of a timed exclusive on console that ended up on the other.

Splinter Cell Conviction for example stayed exclusive.
    Condemned, Dead Rising and Saints Row sequels, Elder Scrolls 4, Lost Planet, Katamari Demacy, Tales of Vesperia (Japan), that horrible vampire game, Bioshock, Ninja Gaiden 2, Eternal Sonata, Mass Effect (regardless of ownership) and countless others.

Dedicated Member
    Yeah, because they owe you right? Seriously, it's a business decision and nothing more. If you were given a bunch of money (and we're talking full-sized cash containers) you'd do the same thing. Yes, money does that to people and the videogame industry is certainly not the only one doing it.

If you want the game early, get an Xbox. If not, wait for the inevitable ultimate edition for all other platforms. It's so simple.

Enough with the entitlement.

And just to clarify: it's not the developer's decision but the publisher's.
    Yes, they do owe the fans who buy the game and made it successful.Smart business is pleasing your fanbase, not screwing them over.No defense can justify their decision unless MS bought the franchise.

6. Likes zex494 likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover

Crystal Dynamics tries again to control the damage of timed exclusivity with ...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkNemesis View Post
    Yes, they do owe the fans who buy the game and made it successful.Smart business is pleasing your fanbase, not screwing them over.No defense can justify their decision unless MS bought the franchise.
    You prove my point about entitled gamers.

Pleasing your fanbase doesn't necessarily result in better business. I know that it's a good idea to honour your fans but sometimes that's not enough.

For the last $#@!ing time, companies want your money. And they will still get that money if they release the game on PS4 later, mark my words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkNemesis View Post
    Condemned, Dead Rising and Saints Row sequels, Elder Scrolls 4, Lost Planet, Katamari Demacy, Tales of Vesperia (Japan), that horrible vampire game, Bioshock, Ninja Gaiden 2, Eternal Sonata, Mass Effect (regardless of ownership) and countless others.
    Your kidding right?

Most of those games where in development or released prior PS3 being released or devs being capable of actually having a PS3 SDK.

You might be right about Tales of Vespira though.
    And Ninja Gaiden was published by MS.

Other than those two, non of the others were money hatted due to the capability of both systems being actually available to make the game on.

Bioshock did do an exclusive, but as they said it was a no-brianer they didn't even have PS3 SDK's.
    Last edited by mynd; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:20.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Fanboyism aside all consumers have a right to express their displeasure . if you dont think so to bad because at least where I live I have a constitutional right to do so if I wish. Yes it is a business and yes if they want to be bribed to do this they certainly can....They can also deal with the MASS displeasure they created. Lets also not forget how stupid a move this is.....They allowed themselves to be bribed in to only releasing a game for a timed period on Xbox....Xbox One doesn't have that many people owning the system to make it worth snubbing the ps4 players....As for both 360 and one the fan base is still very small compared to PC and PlayStation players. It is cutting off your nose to spite your face. No long term outlook.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    We did not make this decision lightly. Our goal is to build the best game that we possibly can, and our relationship with Microsoft will help us realize our vision for the game.

11. Likes Bitbydeath likes this post
    Forum Sage

Pleasing your fanbase doesn't necessarily result in better business. I know that it's a good idea to honour your fans but sometimes that's not enough.

For the last $#@!ing time, companies want your money. And they will still get that money if they release the game on PS4 later, mark my words.

And again, you're not telling anyone here anything new. If you aren't interested in discussing the positive / negative impact of the deal or why it was made in the first place, what is your purpose here?

We know money was the reason for the last "$#@!ing time."

13. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    This is gaming endustry, aka nerd house, and TR has a huge hardcore fanbase , not like your everyday shooters, hence if CD wants to make money, they need to please us, not a greedy company who is failing hard atm and a bunch of idiots that are happy to have a timed exclusive.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427

While I agree about the point regarding entitled gamers.

If this were a new franchise (such as Mass Effect was) then there would be a much higher impact once it moved over to Playstation family. Just like ME2 and ME3 didn't sell as well on PS3 as it did on 360 (ME2 and ME3 sold more than 2x the number on 360 as they did on PS3.) But that was a new franchise, w/o people invested.

Crystal-D knows that Tomb Raider, is in the video gaming culture period. And while there may be some slack off of buyers on the PS4 if it's released 6mo to 1yr from now, it won't be near the impact of a new franchise doing it.

MS expects people on the fence and people who are going to dual platform to come over to XB1 because of this exclusivity, and that's why they're paying for it.

Crystal-D expects some of the sales to be made up for by people buying XB1's, but also from the money MS is giving them to make this a timed exclusive.

And to be honest, it sounds like they don't want to say anything about how long the timed exclusivity will be until they get through initial sales. This 1.) prevents hold-outs who want it on the PS4 2.) may open up further deals w/ MS to make it fully exclusive if it does well enough.

I know it doesn't sound fair to the Playstation Devotees, but MS really does want a series to call their own that is of this Genre, which they are missing.

Does this piss me off, maybe a little bit, but does it make good business since from Crystal-D sure.

Personally the game would have been a pickup when it hit $30 range anyway. If I never see it on PS4, I'm not going to cry in my milk. I'll probably end up getting an XB1 at some point in the future to play exclusives anyway.

All that said, the thing that pisses me off is the how both MS and Crystal-D are not open and up front with all of the information.

16. Likes sainraja likes this post
    Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    I wonder if it will still be an exclusive title come Christmas

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    zex494
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    Nah, competition is about trying to better your competition, one upping them, showing them something they can do better and getting the other to respond in kind. This isn't competition, this is MS flashing money cause the big wigs appear to be only allowing short term expenditure rather than long term expenditure.

FFXIII was probably the worst game I had bought last gen. Huge fan of all the previous ones but FFXIII may as well not have the FF name attached IMO. Think they will turn it around this gen though as they are taking inspiration from the Kingdom Hearts series more than what they think Americans want.
    Totally agree. Point I was making was, MS does these things. I just hated the shifty deal and how it was done. SE promised us an exclusive,made it multiplat, then made us wait for a finished product for $$$. That put SE on my hate list so I did not care when the game did not sell well,speaking of, iSn't FFXV now multiplat too? Just makes me wonder if the same thing happened again with that title and they just did not say. After FFXV and KH3 im done with the likes of em
    I had no intentions of becoming a leader. It is as a warrior how I shall be remembered, but these are hardly numbers worth dying for.
    -Zechs Merquise

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by zex494 View Post
    Totally agree. Point I was making was, MS does these things. I just hated the shifty deal and how it was done. SE promised us an exclusive,made it multiplat, then made us wait for a finished product for $$$. That put SE on my hate list so I did not care when the game did not sell well,speaking of, iSn't FFXV now multiplat too? Just makes me wonder if the same thing happened again with that title and they just did not say. After FFXV and KH3 im done with the likes of em
    They all "do these things". For you guys who think this is somehow a facet of MS only, that they are the only ones who buy timed exclusivity, your wrong.

And for those of you don't believe this is competitive, I'm sorry but how does opting out of doing something everyone else does, competitive?

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    zex494
    They all "do these things". For you guys who think this is somehow a facet of MS only, that they are the only ones who buy timed exclusivity, your wrong.

And for those of you don't believe this is competitive, I'm sorry but how does opting out of doing something everyone else does, competitive?
    Not denying that a lot of companies do it,but HOW it was done is the problem. MS is one of the worst offenders though.
    I had no intentions of becoming a leader. It is as a warrior how I shall be remembered, but these are hardly numbers worth dying for.
    -Zechs Merquise

21. Likes K2D likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by zex494 View Post
    Not denying that a lot of companies do it,but HOW it was done is the problem. MS is one of the worst offenders though.
    In what way?
    If you mean the announce, then yeah I think it was a bit smoke and mirrors.
    But not less so than any other company does.
    That twitter by Greneburg was just wrong though.

Smoke and mirrors are always out there.

Remember PS4 announce.
    Remember all the things we took away...

-Deep Down a full PS4 excluive by Capcom -turns out its Free to play, Japan only game
    -Diablo 3 was going to be PS4 exclusive with a deal done between Sony and Blizzard

It goes on and on. Its a stupid marketing gimmick they all do.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    zex494
    In what way?
    If you mean the announce, then yeah I think it was a bit smoke and mirrors.
    But not less so than any other company does.
    That twitter by Greneburg was just wrong though.

Smoke and mirrors are always out there.

Remember PS4 announce.
    Remember all the things we took away...

-Deep Down a full PS4 excluive by Capcom -turns out its Free to play, Japan only game
    well in fairness it still is a PS4 exclusive,and im not sure but isn't the PS4 region free?

-Diablo 3 was going to be PS4 exclusive with a deal done between Sony and Blizzard
    I don't think that was Sony's idea going multiplat

It goes on and on. Its a stupid marketing gimmick they all do.
    -Zechs Merquise

Forum Sage
    Diablo 3 wasn't going to be PS4 exclusive. It was just announced at the Sony conference for the PS4.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    Diablo 3 wasn't going to be PS4 exclusive. It was just announced at the Sony conference for the PS4.
    Wording is everything eh.
    Omit some, include others, it's all PR BS.

Master Sage
    Different though, think it was announced the same way as Hellsword where they just don't mention the word exclusive at all, rather just that it is coming to the Playstation platform.

Forum Sage
    You're the one being misleading here. Not Sony or Blizzard.

It was announced for the PlayStation platform at the PS4 announcement conference. It wasn't announced as an exclusive, nor was the word even mentioned.

Also, XONE wasn't even announced at that point...should they have announced MS' next console as well?
    Last edited by sainraja; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:00.

28. Likes Two4DaMoney , Christopher likes this post
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    You're the one being misleading here. Not Sony or Blizzard.

It was announced for the PlayStation platform at the PS4 announcement conference. It wasn't announced as an exclusive, nor was the word even mentioned.

Also, XONE wasn't even announced at that point...should they have announced MS' next console as well?
    Yep. When you announce a game for your platform....then that is it. You don't advertise the competition.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

30. Likes Two4DaMoney , sainraja likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Not to mention, if you are going to count first to announce a game to be the same thing as announcing something as exclusive to yours....to be the same "...PR BS" the list of both companies doing that grows even bigger.

My point is simply that announcing something for your platform vs announcing something as exclusive is not really the same type of "....PR BS"

Nobody expects Sony or Microsoft to provide their conference to announce something for competitive platforms.

If that was the case with TR, this wouldn't have been a big deal at all. But I think mynd knows this already.

32. Likes Two4DaMoney , Christopher likes this post
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Not to mention, if you are going to count first to announce a game to be the same thing as announcing something as exclusive to yours....to be the same "...PR BS" the list of both companies doing that grows even bigger.

My point is simply that announcing something for your platform vs announcing something as exclusive is not really the same type of "....PR BS"

Nobody expects Sony or Microsoft to provide their conference to announce something for competitive platforms.
    They are two totally different things. It is a silly comparison, frankly.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

34. Likes sainraja likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style

Crystal Dynamics tries again to control the damage of timed exclusivity with ...

"Nobody expects Sony or Microsoft to provide their conference to announce something for competitive platforms"

Exactly.

So it is only unacceptable if they dont announce for the competitions platform when they announce it as exclusive for the holiday season?

They never ever said it was exclusive full stop at that PR briefing did they? No they did not.

So tell me why its ok for a
    company to not mention other platforms at an announce but not if its a timed exclusive?

Gimma break.

There was no reason they should say "only for a while then its coming to other platforms."

At least they are giving you fair warning.
    I bet everyones forgot the Ghostbusters fiasco.
    Last edited by mynd; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:00.

Thread Information