Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 5
Results 101 to 112 of 112
  1. #101
    Forum Sage
    sainraja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    8,406
    Rep Power
    101
    Points
    29,450 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    I'm going to ignore your jabs about "vs", because it isn't something I am going to bother defending other than to say this.
    INDUSTRYWIDE.


    Look at the methodology and result.

    Announce something
    Do not give all the facts
    Imply, or explicitly say a link between game and platforms(I really don't care if it exclusive DLC, or timed exclusivity, or as vague as "entering into a partnership with")
    Leave out fine print.


    That is PR BS.

    Yes, this one was more EXPLICIT than most, but that is because your use to the others now. You are used to knowing how these things roll, but the first time a company did said DLC deal (GTA etc) there were question asked, there were feathers ruffled, to suggest this is somehow the first time ambiguous statements where made to benefit the perceived link between game and platform is just rubbish.

    Yes its a "new" way of announcing it, but its by no means the first time its been pulled.
    If you don't think there has ever been confusion over announcements before...bwah?

    Most of this initial furor was over the way it was announced, I get that.
    The continued berating of CD for doing such a deal? I don't get that at all. They made the deal, they signed, its their dam IP we just have to live with it.

    It is nothing more than a continuation of one-up-manship, PR blurb and taking away content form us as public then giving it back to a chosen few, that has been going on for years.

    Does it mean we have slipped further, oh hell yes. Does it make it any different to all the $#@! being pulled in the past?
    Well what the hell sort of end game did you see this "exclusive to platform" was going to take?

    We had already been slipping:

    from exclusive timed DLC
    to exclusive DLC
    to exclusive day one DLC (which is nothing more than saying, we took content away from the other versions of the game)
    to timed exclusivity

    P.S. If you believe Ive been trying to say one is more guilty than the other you haven't been paying any attention to what I have been saying.
    You know, I didn't pay attention to the other side of the discussion you were involved in.

    I was simply addressing the portion where you mentioned Diablo 3's announcement being the same (obviously I disagreed the reason the discussion continued up to this point.) Since you are hell bent on including me in that discussion, I went back and read and now I see where the discussion started; you took issue with what zex said regarding Microsoft and you couldn't help yourself with what you said later. Now moving on to the video you said I should watch....

    He's pretty much saying what everyone here has been saying; the guy even goes as far as to credit Microsoft for starting deals like these -- yes he mentions Sony but says they've been doing it "lately" meaning after the fact (something you took issue with when zex said it) and you claim the video sums up your thoughts exactly? lol I can't take you seriously anymore. Not after this.
    Last edited by sainraja; 08-28-2014 at 05:54.

  2. #102
    Supreme Veteran
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    42
    Posts
    18,432
    Rep Power
    167
    Points
    209,558 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    You know, I didn't pay attention to the other side of the discussion you were involved in.

    I was simply addressing the portion where you mentioned Diablo 3's announcement being the same (obviously I disagreed the reason the discussion continued up to this point.) Since you are hell bent on including me in that discussion, I went back and read and now I see where the discussion started; you took issue with what zex said regarding Microsoft and you couldn't help yourself with what you said later. Now moving on to the video you said I should watch....
    I couldnt help myself?
    If I suggest that this issue of buying content for multiplats is driven by PR and marketing just happens to be not the sole domain of MS but an industry-wide issue that should be addressed, you instantly suggest that I'm defending MS? Or attacking Sony?

    You seem to want to portion blame on this situation, if it makes you feel better "Its all MS's fault".
    Does that make you feel better?
    Because it doesn't change the situation we are currently in,or address the issue at large.

    Money buys differentiation on what should be mult-iplatform releases
    Nor does it change the fact that..
    This is driven by marketing and PR to create a perceived link between product and platform

    You can assign all the blame and make all you want innocent in this situation, but it wont change that fact that this is situation we find ourselves in.
    He's pretty much saying what everyone here has been saying; the guy even goes as far as to credit Microsoft for starting deals like these -- yes he mentions Sony but says they've been doing it "lately" meaning after the fact (something you took issue with when zex said it) and you claim the video sums up your thoughts exactly? lol I can't take you seriously anymore. Not after this.
    Again with the blame game. The fact that seems to be what your where looking for in this video, and all you apparently took away, means you missed the point entirely.
    Blame who ever you want, it wont make an iota of difference because you clearly cant see the bigger issue at hand, that we as consumers are being shafted left and right in the name of competition, PR, marketing and spin.
    If you can justify the same product being sold for the same price having differing content, and your just fine and dandy with that as a consumer, it is $#@!ing rich to turn around and point the finger at ANYONE in this situation we find ourselves.

    The question should be as a consumer, what can we do show these companies we don't like being shafted.

    Two for example has steadfastly decided he will not be buying this game unless it's second hand. I 100% applaud him for that cause he is, at the very least trying to send a message to these companies.

  3. #103
    Forum Sage
    sainraja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    8,406
    Rep Power
    101
    Points
    29,450 (0 Banked)
    ah, crap. you know what, my bad. I did not see this post of yours.
    --
    I still don't agree with you on D3's announcement being the same as this just so you know.
    Last edited by sainraja; 08-29-2014 at 05:46.

  4. #104
    Supreme Veteran
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    42
    Posts
    18,432
    Rep Power
    167
    Points
    209,558 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    ah, crap. you know what, my bad. I did not see this post of yours.
    --
    I still don't agree with you on D3's announcement being the same as this just so you know.
    Its definitely not the same thing, just the same department, ie marketing.

    You cant really blame these smaller developers. Only ubisoft, ea and the console manufactures have enough clout to have a press conference.

    But it would be great if they just had a "developer" press conference where the likes of Activision, blizzard,SE, etc could show their thing without having to "align" them selves with the console guys.
    Last edited by mynd; 08-29-2014 at 06:04.

  5. #105
    Forum Sage
    sainraja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    8,406
    Rep Power
    101
    Points
    29,450 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Its definitely not the same thing, just the same department, ie marketing.

    You cant really blame these smaller developers. Only ubisoft, ea and the console manufactures have enough clout to have a press conference.

    But it would be great if they just had a "developer" press conference where the likes of Activision, blizzard,SE, etc could show their thing without having to "align" them selves with the console guys.
    I understand it's all marketing; that's not what I was confused about at all. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever why SE would agree to a deal like this. I know and understand why Microsoft / Sony would, I've never been confused about that.

    I was under the impression that you see no difference between the way TR was announced over other announcements in the past. The confusion over exclusivity didn't just happen, there was reason behind it (the reaction this news got wasn't like when Tekken was announced for X360 - it was more of the what, why.....did they just do that? kind of thing.)

    We'll just have to see how, or if all parties involved benefit from it.
    Last edited by sainraja; 08-30-2014 at 04:55.

  6. #106
    Supreme Veteran
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    42
    Posts
    18,432
    Rep Power
    167
    Points
    209,558 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I cant see how it will really benefit anyone unless.

    SE are hard up for cash.
    MS does some sort of TR bundle.

    Short of that, its just really another titles at a crowded time of the year.

  7. #107
    Dedicated Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,168
    Rep Power
    60
    Points
    8,781 (0 Banked)
    Honestly, It's not a big deal at all. Here's why: The company gets paid a bucket load of money to keep it exclusive for a year (Or whatever). The company is thereby relatively assured of getting the money for their work and also funding for a possible third game if it sells well enough. Then they come out a year later (or whenever) and say, OK, now it's coming out on XYZ platforms with all new content included and blah, blah, blah. Possibly at a reduced price. See? what's the big deal. The way I see it, they may not have had enough faith in their product to sell enough units for a hefty profit even if they included the PS4 platform too. (BTW, that is similar to what happened with the last TR). While they did make money, they still wanted to re-release on next gen platforms most likely for two reasons. One, to squeeze more money of it. Two, to get their feet wet with utilizing the next gen hardware for future productions. After all, it is a business and they need money to operate. And even creating a re-release still costs money to produce. SO there you have it. They most likely do it to be assured of X-amount of millions of dollars now, rather than release for all plats and hope for the best later. It's like a kickstart for their corporate coffers. And meanwhile we will ALL get it later anyway. Not the earth shattering epic fail people may have thought now is it?

  8. #108
    Dedicated Member
    thanatos144's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Stuart, Florida, United States
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Posts
    1,177
    Rep Power
    13
    Points
    11,148 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by TOM2x View Post
    Honestly, It's not a big deal at all. Here's why: The company gets paid a bucket load of money to keep it exclusive for a year (Or whatever). The company is thereby relatively assured of getting the money for their work and also funding for a possible third game if it sells well enough. Then they come out a year later (or whenever) and say, OK, now it's coming out on XYZ platforms with all new content included and blah, blah, blah. Possibly at a reduced price. See? what's the big deal. The way I see it, they may not have had enough faith in their product to sell enough units for a hefty profit even if they included the PS4 platform too. (BTW, that is similar to what happened with the last TR). While they did make money, they still wanted to re-release on next gen platforms most likely for two reasons. One, to squeeze more money of it. Two, to get their feet wet with utilizing the next gen hardware for future productions. After all, it is a business and they need money to operate. And even creating a re-release still costs money to produce. SO there you have it. They most likely do it to be assured of X-amount of millions of dollars now, rather than release for all plats and hope for the best later. It's like a kickstart for their corporate coffers. And meanwhile we will ALL get it later anyway. Not the earth shattering epic fail people may have thought now is it?
    Unless ofcourse you don't mind being treated as an idiot who they take for granted.

    Tapatalk
    141.12

  9. #109
    Super Elite
    MacP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Essex, England.
    Posts
    2,369
    Rep Power
    60
    Points
    6,566 (0 Banked)
    TBH most people will see Tomb Raider exclusive to Xbox one and think automatically think $#@! if I want that game I will have to buy an Xbox One to play it surely?
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

  10. #110
    Master Guru
    Wrath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Germany
    Age
    27
    Posts
    6,467
    Rep Power
    98
    Points
    35,030 (0 Banked)
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by MacP View Post
    TBH most people will see Tomb Raider exclusive to Xbox one and think automatically think $#@! if I want that game I will have to buy an Xbox One to play it surely?
    And you bumped this thread because...? The discussion was long over.



  11. #111
    Apprentice
    XperienZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    PSN ID
    X-x-Stallion-x-X
    Age
    31
    Posts
    348
    Rep Power
    55
    Points
    374 (0 Banked)
    Items LBP Sephiroth
    Quote Originally Posted by MacP View Post
    TBH most people will see Tomb Raider exclusive to Xbox one and think automatically think $#@! if I want that game I will have to buy an Xbox One to play it surely?
    Some people at best I'd say... Still don't think there's too many people who couldn't wait 9 months for a Tomb Raider game if it saved them 350 they'd never intended to spend (which almost begs the question - why bother making the majority wait at all?)

    Don't go around believing that Great Wizards solve all your problems, because there aren't any and they don't and I should know because I'm not one...

  12. #112
    Dedicated Member
    thanatos144's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Stuart, Florida, United States
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Posts
    1,177
    Rep Power
    13
    Points
    11,148 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by XperienZ View Post
    Some people at best I'd say... Still don't think there's too many people who couldn't wait 9 months for a Tomb Raider game if it saved them 350 they'd never intended to spend (which almost begs the question - why bother making the majority wait at all?)
    Because Microsoft is ran by douche bags and Crystal Dynamics seem to be of the same variety
    141.12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.