Forum Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Oculus Rift + Razer Hydra + Half LIfe 2 VR = The future now

VR headsets and motion controllers are nothing new in the world of gaming. It's not even rare to see them together. But what is exciting is Valve's new VR mod for Half-Life 2 that recalibrates the game to take advantage of this emerging tech.

As demonstrated by YouTuber, Goldfish, this new mod adapts the Half-Life 2 control scheme in a host of exciting new ways.

VR headsets and motion controllers are nothing new in the world of gaming. It's not even rare to see them together. But what is exciting is Valve's new VR mod for Half-Life 2 that recalibrates the game to take advantage of this emerging tech.

As demonstrated by YouTuber, Goldfish, this new mod adapts the Half-Life 2 control scheme in a host of exciting new ways.

The best part is the revolver reloading at the seven minute mark. Now I know what why Ocelot found this so exhilarating.
    First off, guns are no longer locked to your head movement, so they can be aimed freely. This means that you won't have a crosshair, but instead will manually position the gun in front of your face, close one eye and peer down the iron sights.

But it gets more interesting from there. If you want to reload, you'll have to mimic the action of reloading by pantomiming adding a new clip to your firearm. So with a revolver you'll actually have to unlatch the barrel, flick it over, empty the clips, pretend to put in new ones and flick the chamber closed again. Sure this is way more cumbersome than tapping a button, but it's also a whole lot cooler.

You can also toss grenades in an arch by holding a trigger and miming a throwing motion. This looks a lot trickier than simply hitting a button to toss it in an already marked arch, but there are advantages to this. For example, you can run in one direction while throwing a grenade in another. You can't do that with a dual analogue setup now, can you?

The VR mod not only offers to new, more realistic maneuverability, but changes the HUD too. Now you check your ammo by looking at your guns, while your health is on the back of your wrist, so you just turn your hand over to look at it as if you're checking the time. Neat!
    Well I know what my next two purchases will be. I've held off buying a hydra for a while now, think now is the time to take the plunge

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Razer Hydra? Its all about STEM now.

http://sixense.com/

Forum Sage

Oculus Rift + Razer Hydra + Half LIfe 3 VR = The future now

Bloody choices never heard of that until now, I'll read into it. I like sitting on my ass when gaming

Edit: either way, that reloading got me salivating!!
    Last edited by BBK..; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:08.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    Bloody choices never heard of that until now, I'll read into it. I like sitting on my ass when gaming

Edit: either way, that reloading got me salivating!!

You dont have to stand up for STEM you can set it up so it only uses the controllers just like Razer Hydra.

Superior Member
    HL2 with my DK1 and Hydra a few months ago is still the most immersive gaming experience I've ever had. It's truly incredible. I've had a DK2 for a while now but just haven't had the time to try that many things with it, but this is high on my list.
    i7 4770 | 2x EVGA GTX 780 ti SC ACX SLI | 32GB
    i7 3770 | EVGA SC GTX 580 3GB​ | 16GB

Forum Overseer
    wasn't oculus sold to FB?

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    FB now owns OR yes, I would imagine the DK3 will be much more improved.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by sneezymarble View Post
    HL2 with my DK1 and Hydra a few months ago is still the most immersive gaming experience I've ever had. It's truly incredible. I've had a DK2 for a while now but just haven't had the time to try that many things with it, but this is high on my list.
    I did think it was you who had it but didn't want to name drop you in case it wasn't. I'm definitely going to invest in the two perhaps next year

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    FB now owns OR yes, I would imagine the DK3 will be much more improved.
    what's DK?

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar View Post
    what's DK?
    Either it's Donkey Kong or it's Dev Kit

Why is Half Life 3 in the title? :/ Pretty useless as it's obvious that it's not announced yet...
    I had the first dev kit of oculus, my friend had a razer hydra for a bit.
    The razer was really sloppy and laggy, wasn't fun at all and was pretty annoying. The Oculus's good for a while, but get's boring and annoying pretty quick due to it's weight, motion sickness possibilities and just the fact that the graphics weren't that amazeballs, nor were there much demo's. There's more and more incoming, but I was hoping to see more full games give it a go, e.g. some newer games... Would be nice to see, but I guess that won't happen until it's actually released to the public.
    My friend's going to sell our oculus dev kit 1 and we'll order a second dev kit to check the improvements and such. Hopefully it's quite a bit better than the current one though...

Though, at the moment I'm honestly more curious what's with the Morpheus than I am with Oculus though...

Forum Overseer
    yeah, i was thinking it could be dev kit, what does that mean for the official oculus? will it still be public and be supported in PC games?

Forum Sage
    Whoops. I meant HL2. Good spot I'll edit it now.

Why wouldn't the oculus be supported in PC games!?

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    I don't know. To be fairly honest, I think they ruined the whole thing by selling dev kits instead of sending them to specific people. This way everybody can 'claim' to be a developer by literally just thicking off a box on the order-form. Now, everybody's buying an oculus (yes, including me and my friend) and I think that this's ruining the whole interesting thing behind it as people could get bored of this by the time they actually release it...

The oculus at this point has some things to offer, but not much (not that much games/demo's out there...) and I assume that developers/companies aren't going to support it if people already got bored of it, so I'm curious what it'll be at the end of the Oculus-dev-cyclus.

Forum Overseer
    Whoops. I meant HL2. Good spot I'll edit it now.

Why wouldn't the oculus be supported in PC games!?
    i figured FB wanted it for FB and not PC development.

Friendship is Carrots
    The idea I can run by an enemy and point my gun left and gun down them down turns me on in ways I didn't think possible.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Forum Sage
    i figured FB wanted it for FB and not PC development.
    That would be super lame but nope. They've just bought it. Will still be getting a lot of game support.

Forum Overseer
    That would be super lame but nope. They've just bought it. Will still be getting a lot of game support.
    so nothing has changed? from the way people were crying about it, i always just assumed it was going to be for FB instead.

i would think at least the focus changed. why would FB acquire this if the website wasn't the focus?

Forum Sage
    It's the gaming community. People $#@! and whine about everything. As far as I know yes FB will be getting a bit of focus but it's still going to be centred on gaming.

People just lost their minds over it for no reason

Forum Overseer
    It's the gaming community. People $#@! and whine about everything. As far as I know yes FB will be getting a bit of focus but it's still going to be centred on gaming.

but what i don't understand is why FB would get into the PC market from a hardcore gaming perspective. i would honestly be worried about it. you need passionate people to improve the product, rather than people who have no interest.

this is why i think Xbox can never outdo Sony in games. Sony itself isn't big on gaming but the gaming division is all about gaming. and if FB doesn't create a separate division just focusing on this and PC, i doubt we're going to see the impact it otherwise would've seen under the owner.

Friendship is Carrots

It's because Facebook is garbage and Mark Zuckerberg is a douchebag. There was even a transcript of a board meeting where Mark was talking about the advertising opportunities the device would bring them. The device won't be headed with gaming ambitious in mind, it'll be just be a way to collect more information on people and sell products. Gaming is only an indirect goal.

That and the fact the entire project was crowd funded and the guy building the headset promised a year before he wouldn't sell out. Whoops.

People had very legitimate reasons for being upset.
    Last edited by Nerevar; 3 Weeks Ago at 20:22.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Forum Sage
    Yeah no doubt Facebook is crap - I deleted my account on that data farming site a long, long time ago. I just don't think It's a massively bad thing.

Time will tell.

Forum Overseer
    everything zuckerberg does is not in the interest of the public. not one thing. it's the same as not having free lunch. there's a cost to everything we think fb brings to us.

i would also put google and youtube in that category. what's more messed up is that what google/youtube/fb did has brought a large change in the way other developers/websites conduct business and they are all trying to mimic what they do and how they make money.

the irony is that fb/youtube and google may be one of the greatest things that ever happened to us and invertly the worse things that ever happened to us at the same time. i love these products but if we knew what we had to give up (not just individually but more importantly, collectively) and where it's going, we would think twice about it.

these companies are not honest and having a monopoly and the power they have now isn't good either. if there was actual competition, it's possible they could be less douche-baggish with the information collection (you know, thrown out there as a feature...like hey we won't sell your personal information, use it without your knowledge, add it to the big data to keep every information about every aspect of your life) but they don't have to because people are idiots enough to use these products as if they were their diaries...

right now fb has made it to where you can practically say more about your life on there than your spouse may even know...i could (if i wanted to) talk about every aspect of my life, where i've been, where i worked, where i live now, where i have lived in the past, where i'm going now, where i was yesterday, what movies i've seen, what i think of it etc.

they are adding a place to just about put everything you possibly can. about 6 months ago, i retaliated and removed all information except pictures. i also shortened my last name. it still retains all information about me that i put on it before it. kinda scary and sort of pisses me off that i can't just ask them to remove it. because to them, why did i put it out there if i wanted it to be private...kind of ironic because fb became popular in the beginning because it was a place where you could socialize on the internet and still have privacy.
    Yeah no doubt Facebook is crap - I deleted my account on that data farming site a long, long time ago. I just don't think It's a massively bad thing.

Time will tell.
    ahhh, we shall see. even if they do something good with the PC community, there will be a cost, i will guarantee you. fb is like activision, if they can't $#@! you over with their product, they won't support it. mark my words.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    but what i don't understand is why FB would get into the PC market from a hardcore gaming perspective. i would honestly be worried about it. you need passionate people to improve the product, rather than people who have no interest.
    This.
    I was really interested in Oculus Rift until I heard Facebook bought it. Why? Facebook has to KNOW everything; they'll do anything to get your life somewhat involved by them. They bought Whatsapp, they bought the Oculus... I'm curious what they'll buy next. I have a fb account because some people I know only use FB to chat. I don't use it because I like the site. it's a $#@!site. The whole thing's $#@!.
    I can't see how FB will be a good thing for the Oculus. They're a social network, not a gaming company. I wouldn't be surprised to see bull$#@! coming onto Facebook where we get $#@!ing invites again everyday for people playing "FARMVILLE VR" or getting a notification like 'OMAR LIKED YOUR POST' in the middle of a $#@!ing game.

I'm not saying that Oculus is instantly doomed. I'm just saying I expect that it won't such a good thing that has happened to them, in my very own opinion. Right now, I assume that on a long term, facebook'll be $#@!ing over people with oculus rifts.

I do hope I am wrong. I really do.

24. Likes Omar likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    lol@OMAR LIKED YOUR POST.

Thread Information