Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Master Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

No Manís Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 Planets and no load times

Hello PlayStation Blog! I’m Sean Murray, and I work at a little indie studio in the UK, making a game called No Man’s Sky. I’m writing this on a plane back from Gamescom, where we showed some press the game behind closed doors.

We’ve only done three days where we’ve talked to press about the game so far (two at E3 and one at the VGX show last year), but for an indie game we’ve had lots of interest and excitement. Something I’m still struggling to get my head around. So much so that I didn’t actually want to go to Gamescom! We’ve never actually shown any European press the game though, and we felt bad about that.

Sony provided a room and I gave 100 members of the press a demo of the game for an hour, together with a really rambling presentation… where I apparently never looked up at the crowd once

I can’t really remember what I said, but I guess I wanted to share some stories from development, and I thought maybe you’d find them interesting too.

We tell people No Man’s Sky is a science-fiction game, set in an infinite procedural universe. When I read sci-fi growing up, though, the thing I always wanted to experience was the feeling of touching down on a planet that no one had ever been to. To walk over the crest of an alien landscape and not know what I might find.

My favourite moment so far from making No Man’s Sky happened a few months back. David was adding four-legged creatures to the game (he insists on calling them ungulates), Hazel was adding a weather system, and Ryan was adding collision to all the trees (which is really hard when you have a whole forest full of them). I hadn’t seen any of this, and I was flying around the universe, trying to take some screenshots. I neared the surface of a planet and suddenly it started to rain. As I was touching down I scared some deer who broke through the woods, dodging in and out of trees. Now this was jaw-dropping to me, because I’ve never seen any of these systems before, but also it felt like this was a real place I’d discovered. No one had been there before, and I didn’t know whether to shout excitedly, or just keep it to myself.

In a nutshell, moments like that are No Man’s Sky for me. Sure, there is trading, combat, weapons, ships and a core game, but really for me the quiet moments of discovery are what it’s all about.

The cool thing is that every planet has a single number, a random seed, that defines everything about that planet. A single random seed generates every blade of grass, tree, flower, creature. So as the developer I can note down the planet seed, and then just go back there any time I want. We demoed this at Gamescom, just jumping round the universe to different planets. There are no load times, because nothing needs to load, as the planets are entirely computer-generated.

Really this seed defines how many planets you can discover before things start to go a bit crazy and undefined. For us we choose a big number. We’re working to a 64-bit system, which is 2 to the power of 64… or 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 possible planets. Even if a planet is discovered every second, it’ll take 585 billion years to find them all!

Being a coder, I really enjoy the tech side of things, but that’s not what’s important. What’s important is how interesting, varied and exciting we can make this universe of ours. That’s what developing No Man’s Sky really is. It’s about filling the universe.

The procedural technology does lots of that for us, but we have to provide it with the sparks, like the patterns of spaceship design that we think look great, and different types of creature and the way they vary. We have to build the systems, the rules. We’ve shown so far creatures that you’ll be familiar with, but we’re thinking now about creatures that look far more alien, and they’re slowly changing the way even we’re perceiving the universe. It’s getting weirder, maybe not so friendly, and surprising us at every turn.

It’s been a joy to see the game boot every day as No Man’s Sky becomes richer and more varied and we see more surprising things, but it’s also sort of frustrating, because it’s so hard to share our excitement at what we’ve been creating. It has never felt right to just go off and show off lots of a game that’s about discovery. It’s like that should be up to you when you finally get to play. I can’t wait for that, and it just makes me want to finish the game as soon as we can.

And my plane has just landed! Thanks again for everything, and we’ll talk again soon.
    http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/...nets-mans-sky/

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    LordVenger
    Items User name style
    Even if this wasn't one of the coolest looking indies I've seen in a while, I think I'd buy just on principle. Sometimes small creative games need to be rewarded just to be sure we get more small creative games, and don't fall into the trap of iterative triple As.

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Definitely a game to keep an eye on, sounds like it's going to be huge in scale too!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    WANT!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Dedicated Member
    So what they're saying is if you find one planet a second, it'll take you about 585 billion years to beat the game lol

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    My plan with this game is to choose a direction and never stop

Quote Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
    So what they're saying is if you find one planet a second, it'll take you about 585 billion years to beat the game lol
    Over delivering on value.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

7. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Friendship is Carrots
    This game is pure sex. I hope it delivers on the hype and promises.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

9. Likes OregonViking likes this post
    Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    This is going to be so immersive

Veteran
    Although it sounds pretty cool how vast it is, is this truly a game? I mean is there a purpose to it besides exploring planets? Will I encounter enemies? Can I shoot them? Will that earn me trophies?

Friendship is Carrots
    Quote Originally Posted by daLa View Post
    Although it sounds pretty cool how vast it is, is this truly a game? I mean is there a purpose to it besides exploring planets? Will I encounter enemies? Can I shoot them? Will that earn me trophies?
    There is fighting and trading. Not sure in how in-depth it is though.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

PSU Live Streamer
    Think I'll have to call you out on this one Bitby. The article says unlimited planets. Your number is limited by comparison. Misleading title is misleading :P

j/k

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    zex494
    So excited for this game. Each piece of news I hear about it makes me want to play it even more. The only request I have is when you power up the game I need to hear a voice say "Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages.."
    I had no intentions of becoming a leader. It is as a warrior how I shall be remembered, but these are hardly numbers worth dying for.
    -Zechs Merquise

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    There is fighting and trading. Not sure in how in-depth it is though.
    This I did not know, thanks for the info.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Too much valuer.

Less value or GTFO.

/whinygamerrant

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by daLa View Post
    From what I understand you start with a crap ship, on a planet nobody else has started on and are tasked with going to the centre of the universe, whilst trading and fighting your way there.

At least that is my interpretation.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    From what I understand you start with a crap ship, on a planet nobody else has started on and are tasked with going to the centre of the universe, whilst trading and fighting your way there.

At least that is my interpretation.
    Thanks since you're not the only one saying that I'm guessing that's how it goes, sounds promising! hopefully a free PS Plus download.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    I didnt think numbers went that high.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Skinnyjr
    Amazing

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KillingSpree0
    A game like this should be MMO

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyRules View Post
    A game like this should be MMO
    It is, just chances of actually running into someone else in such a large environment is slim.
    They took the Journey route where others will be playing but you don't need to interact with them to achieve your goals.

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    Even if this wasn't one of the coolest looking indies I've seen in a while, I think I'd buy just on principle. Sometimes small creative games need to be rewarded just to be sure we get more small creative games, and don't fall into the trap of iterative triple As.
    Small is not a term I'd use to describe this game. The level of scale of the game as well as the creative vision these developers have for it is on orders of magnitude of far and above anything thought of thus far for any game out or yet to be conceived.

I will be picking this game up on principle as well. This game is giving me the feels.

Forum Sage
    Items Legend of ZeldaHalf-Life 2Nintendo3DSFinal Fantasy VII
    For such a small dev team it's actually mind blowing.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    I claim planet 84,654,549,741,825,351! YOU HEAR ME!? THE REST OF YOU STAY AWAY!!!!

Das planet Fiji!!
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Friendship is Carrots
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    I claim planet 84,654,549,741,825,351! YOU HEAR ME!? THE REST OF YOU STAY AWAY!!!!

Das planet Fiji!!
    84,654,549,741,825,352 is mine and we laugh at your planet's tiny moons.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    Quote Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
    's gonna be one hell of a platinum..

Thread Information