Apprentice
    PSN ID
    bond4ever007

Assassin's Creed Unity Delayed

It’s the little things. A tiny gesture that Arno makes as he’s racing across the Parisian rooftops. A barely noticeable reaction from a solitary NPC in a crowd 3,000 deep. The subtle swaying motion of an opulent chandelier in a lavish ballroom. It’s these little things, multiplied by the thousands, that a development team focuses on during the final push to ship a game. And with a massive open-world title like Assassin’s Creed Unity, all those little things add up fast. Toss in the fact that Unity has been built from the ground up as a new-gen Assassin’s Creed – and that final straight-line sprint to the finish suddenly feels like an obstacle course laden with curves, hurdles and pitfalls.

Still, the race is almost over. Assassin’s Creed Unity will release in the US on November 11 and in EMEA territories on November 13, 2014.

Yes, that’s two weeks after the previously announced release date. But along with big ambition – and even bigger promises – comes a lot of heavy lifting. “This being a fully next-gen game, it requires a lot of work, a lot of production, and a lot of learning,” says Senior Producer Vincent Pontbriand. “It’s always hard to be precise and to quantify exactly how much work is involved. So as we get close to the finish we often realize we’re near the target but we’re not quite there yet.”

A LEAP OF FAITH

Like anyone making a triple-A game, the team also had to adjust to new technology. At just a year old, the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 are in their infancy, and everyone is still learning how to get the most out of these magnificent machines. “We rebuilt most of the systems,” Pontbriand says. “Sometimes to improve the experience. Sometimes to improve the gameplay itself. Sometimes to reskin it, to make it look fresh all over again. Or sometimes because we had to make everything online-compatible.”

But this is also Assassin’s Creed, Pontbriand reminds us. “And AC is a huge open-world game. We have thousands of NPCs on screen. We have more depth in the types of AI we’ve built. The graphics are spectacular. The processes are way more complex. Which makes it exponentially harder to grasp everything than it was in the previous generation.”

Now that the team has a near-finished game, those extra two weeks will allow them to focus on those minor adjustments that can make a big difference – and ultimately help Ubisoft deliver on the promise of the game. “We’re very confident in the game we’re making,” Pontbriand says.

This small delay is also about taking total ownership and doing what’s right for both the gamers and the development team. “Making games is not a precise science. It’s a leap of faith. There’s a good level of subjectivity and creativity,” he says. “We have a bunch of us who have spent two, three years or more on this project. It’s a huge personal investment. People have been truly dedicated to this game. For them it’s also important to make a game that they can be proud of.” That’s why the team will continue to toil even beyond the ship date – right up to actual release – building a Day 1 patch that offers even more improvements to Unity.

As for the fans, Pontbriand can’t wait to get Assassin’s Creed Unity into their hands. “We honestly appreciate their commitment to the game and their patience. It’s just a couple more weeks. And it’s going to be worth it.”

The US release date for Assassin’s Creed Rogue remains unchanged; Rogue will release on November 11, 2014 (alongside Unity). However in EMEA territories, Rogue will now release November 13, 2014 (also alongside Unity).

http://blog.ubi.com/assassins-creed-...e-november-11/
    I personally think this isn't a big deal for me. There is still enough to play in October

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Could be worse I suppose, could be 2015 lol
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Twitch ID: http://www.twitch.tv/duffman041986/profile

My Youtube Gaming Channel - Now with commentary: Duffman Gaming

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    bond4ever007
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Could be worse I suppose, could be 2015 lol
    Yeah that's probably what everyone thinks when they read the title lol. Two weeks is nothing.

Assassin's Creed Unity releases now one week before Far Cry 4. Ubisoft officially owns my game budget for the month October now

EDIT: Oh and AC Unity and AC Rogue release at the same day now

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Damn it. Now they'll probably be no $40 dollar Christmas sale

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Just saw this on IGN. I'm a bit disappointed, but 2 weeks won't kill me.

That said, I'm wondering if it's really polish needed for both platforms or polish needed for XB1 (i.e. getting native resolution up before release instead of after release.)

We'll probably never know, but I'm sure that I'm not the only one that's thought of this question.

reaper of souls
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    I'm glad it's just two weeks and not two years

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    I'm glad it's just two weeks and not two years

We're talking about Ubi here, not Square Enix.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    OregonViking
    Haven't even touched AC4 yet... Not an issue.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    Damn it. Now they'll probably be no $40 dollar Christmas sale
    Same thing I was thinking. Was hoping for a Black Friday sale and I'm going to believe they knew that so wanted to delay it. Still going to be holding out for a sale, though.

Dedicated Member
    A fortnight isn't a big delay, but perhaps they should tell what kind of improvements are they planning to make in such a time period. Maybe they want resolution parity across all platforms, just a guess.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    Quote Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
    A fortnight isn't a big delay, but perhaps they should tell what kind of improvements are they planning to make in such a time period. Maybe they want resolution parity across all platforms, just a guess.
    This was from a Twitter Q&A with the Creative Director.

Q: what were the reasons for delaying the game
    A: When the game comes together at the end, we can get the most done in polish. In those last two weeks, the little details can add up. They can be the difference between a good game and a great game.
    As for how much they can do, think about this. Unity is being developed by 10 different Ubisoft studios from around the world. The average Ubisoft studio has about 300 developers (26 studios and something like 8,000-9,000 total devs). There has to be at least 1,000 working on Unity. 1,000 people working 8 hours a day for 10 days. That's 80,000 man hours. Even if it's a quarter of that amount it's still the equivalent of one person working for two years.

In just one year, myself and someone from Bethesda could have completely changed public perception of Skyrim when it first released.
    Last edited by ttech10; 08-30-2014 at 19:33.

Dedicated Member
    From the twitter feed, it just seems he's saying they're taking the time for the final touches and optimisation. We'll see how it turns out. What would suck is if the game still ships with an unstable framerate even after the delay. In some gameplay vids, i noticed fr drops when npc's were on screen, hopefully that won't be an issue with the final game with the time they're taking.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    Also things like in the video below, where at 2:23 one lady has her clothing textures change at 2:24, as do many other NPCs in the following seconds. It's not even textures loading to be higher detail, it's completely different textures. From a red shirt and white dress to a red dress and what looks like a white coat.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    I knew something was f'd up in that scene, I kept noticing pops of change but couldn't identify them. I didn't worry about it, but when I went back through it a few times and started looking where the pops of changes were I could see it was the clothing changing on Chars.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    That's how it was the first time I saw it. It was obvious something was wrong, but not obvious what exactly it was. At first I thought it was just stuff changing from low to high quality as you got closer, but then after skipping back a few times noticed it was something strange. I'd think whatever the reason for it would be an easier fix, since it doesn't appear to be a resource issue (not loading texture quality fast enough).

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Not that big of a deal. Could have suffered a much worse fate.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by ttech10 View Post
    Unity is being developed by 10 different Ubisoft studios from around the world. The average Ubisoft studio has about 300 developers (26 studios and something like 8,000-9,000 total devs). There has to be at least 1,000 working on Unity. 1,000 people working 8 hours a day for 10 days. That's 80,000 man hours. Even if it's a quarter of that amount it's still the equivalent of one person working for two years.

In just one year, myself and someone from Bethesda could have completely changed public perception of Skyrim when it first released.
    Wow man. That certainly gives me some perspective on what a difference a "mere" 2 weeks can make. Awesome explanation, well said and good mind food.

One reason I'm personally not bothered by the delay is that I want to play Rogue first in order to close out the last gen before tasting the goodness of the current gen in this series. So it's all good as far as I'm concerned.

Apprentice

2 weeks? you call that a delay!?

Master Guru
    Just two weeks? Oh well. A game as sweet as Assassins's Creed Unity is going to need more time.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by ElieKatz$#@! View Post
    2 weeks? you call that a delay!?
    I know, right? Seems almost like it isn't happening.

Thread Information