View Poll Results: Do you game in 3D regularly?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • I always game in 3D when the game supports it.

0 0%
  • Tried it for a while but in the end, I prefer 2D.

8 26.67%
  • Sometimes 2D, sometimes 3D.

2 6.67%
  • No 3DTV here.

20 66.67%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 3
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SmoknJokr
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    I haven't once attempted to change what you've stated. I have made my statements and followed up with the exact same argument from the very start. Maybe you didn't understand what I was stated so I went into more and more details.

Regarding my needing to watch it on a 100" scree, the fact is I have seen it on a 100" screen. I've got a close friend w/ a 1080p projector which supports 3D. I go over to watch races with him and he comes over and watches races with me.

I couldn't find a picture of his screen, but my wife took a pic of my Son (I was in Seattle at the time) with her phone which gets automatically uploaded to my Google+ photos. It shows his projector in the background, just not his screen.

I will continue to say that at the same relative distance, it is no more impressive 3D experience. His seating is actually at ~16' (18' room depth) my seating is at about 10.5' for my 64" Plasma. He even admits that his projection at that distance provides for similar field of vision and that my Plasma provides for a much better black levels and contrast. And yes he's got a high gain projector screen. I forget what the brand is, but it's on the higher end of the spectrum.
    That's a fact that you won't get any better blacks than a plasma. When you are projecting on a white/grey/silver screen it's hard to get a good black. There are some that have experimented with layering white and black fabrics like nylon to make it better on projectors but only a little.

But since you are a member at avs and was gonna tell me to go there maybe you could and search "3D impact big screen small screen". Nearly every post concludes that 3D on a +100" screen is more immersive than a sub 100" screen. I mean if you wanted me to go then you should agree with what they said right? I guess you can continue disagree but it's out there for you to read if you choose. Small screen size and loss of impact of going to the movies is what killed 3D in the home. It's not the same on a small screen as it is on a large one. I guess if going to the movies and watching a 3D movie is the same as watching on a 50" in your living room is the same for you then idk what to say.

Thanks to Spyrde for the sig/avy

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SmoknJokr
    Quote Originally Posted by K2D View Post
    I'm not the one insinuating anything - you're looking for hidden meaning where there is none. It would indeed be stupendous of me to fork out $4000(?). For a 100" TV together with my 5'-away-couch. No need to be defensive.
    You did say it would be a stupendous waste of money. You did not qualify that remark with the 2 words "for me" only IMO. Without those 2 words you implied that you were referring to whomever.

As a salesman you never assume to judge what is a lot of money to a person. You never know, what may make one person poo their pants, the next won't bat an eye. That being said and back on track did you go search it out on avs?

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    How do you expect people to research your claims? Try backing up your arguements and post a source or two. Both me and taz explained the same concept to you in two quite different ways.

Nah. Not even going to humour you any longer. I can't even begin about that last post.

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SmoknJokr
    Do you not even know how to go to avsforums.com in the search bar type in "3d impact big screen small screen" there are as many posts as you want to read all saying the same thing... but as I said earlier you are clueless and obviously wish to remain that way. So whatever. Keep watching your small tv and telling yourself that it's the same as a 100"... Lmao im cool with it. You don't know ya don't know I guess... you can talk about how it fills your field of vision but whatever your talking about something you just don't know about and have provided nothing but your opinion. Not backed it up but one bit of research. You are just spouting nonsense.
    Last edited by Smokin Joker; 09-03-2014 at 06:02.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SmoknJokr

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Well this is priceless. Even your source agrees with what me and Taz has been saying. You're just interpreting 'screen size' too literally. They're talking about perceived screen size. NOTICE HOW THE DOCUMENT IS WEIGHTING "VIEWING ANGLE".
    Last edited by K2D; 09-03-2014 at 08:11.

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SmoknJokr
    Did you read it? The conclusion states the a larger screen is more immersive.... and you haven't been saying a thing you just jumped in and rode on taz 's coattails. Obviously when you go to the movies it's the same as sitting in your tiny living room so whatever you have not used a 100" TV. You just can't apply your theory as fact when you have no real world experience to back it up. You can't even post one article that says don't buy a big tv just move your seat closer...
    Last edited by Smokin Joker; 09-03-2014 at 13:01.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    I guess you're not willing to accept you could be wrong (which you are).
    Last edited by K2D; 09-03-2014 at 14:04.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SmoknJokr
    Did you read the paper? Obviously not...
    Any chance you could support your claim that screen size does not effect the impact or immersion?

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    As I suspected these threads do not go into the aspect of relative seating distance.

Even the article lacks the full consideration of seating distance, instead it does some irregular comparisons such as this screen capture of two comparisons.

Capture.JPG

They make a conclusion that Bigger screen is better w/o taking into consideration of relative seating distances, which is the same thing that is done on AVS Forum.

The reality is that most Home Theater setups do not allow for adjusting seating distances, so the argument in general is valid when given a fixed seating distance. Again, When given a fixed seating distance.

The conclusion of the article was that screen size makes the biggest impact, but it didn't do the study w/ relative seating distances. It even used a 12.7" Screen and sat someone 36.5" away. And then a 81" screen and sat some 51.5" away. Are you F'ng kidding me? Of course the field of view that is provided is tiny in the one case and huge in the other case.

Here's a paragraph from the article.

The viewing distance was fixed or was not specified in previousresearch investigating the effects of screen size. Researchers
    acknowledge that the proportion of participants’ visual field (viewing
    angle) occupied by the image is varied and creates a different
    confound when the viewing distance is fixed (Lombard et al.,
    2000). Additionally, people naturally adjust their viewing distance
    according to different screen sizes. With a big screen, people take a
    long viewing distance, and with a small screen size people adopt a
    short distance. The manipulation of the media form factor screen
    size is interconnected with the variables of viewing distance and
    viewing angle. However, since the research tradition has established
    screen size as the dominant variable, the current study still
    adopt the term screen size to situate our study in this line of research.
    After all, viewing angel is determined by viewing distance
    and screen size, and viewing distance is selected by users based
    on the screen size.
    The previous articles reference had multiple TV sizes and did the studies, but with fixed or unspecified viewing distance - These are worthless when discussing displays providing the same field of view.

The statement of 'With a big screen, people take a long viewing distance, and with a small screen size people adopt a short distance.' almost becomes a Joke when you take into consideration their seating distances chosen for the study.

I'm sorry but none of these arguments address relative seating distance, and providing the same field of view to screen size.

Immersiveness is about the field of view which is the same given seating distances are relative to the screen size by the exact same ratio as I described before.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SmoknJokr
    Ok... you have read the conclusion and you still fail to believe it. Which is why I say you should experience it. Refute everyone's conclusions except your own. Way to stay strong! My original statement has now been backed yet you refuse to supply any support other than your conclusions and no real world experience.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokin Joker View Post
    Ok... you have read the conclusion and you still fail to believe it. Which is why I say you should experience it. Refute everyone's conclusions except your own. Way to stay strong! My original statement has now been backed yet you refuse to supply any support other than your conclusions and no real world experience.
    So my experience of observing 3D of the same 3D content on 32", 64" and 100" at relative viewing distances to have the same field of view represented, doesn't count as real world experience?

Also, keep in mind, that I agreed with the arguments made on AVSForum GIVEN the same fixed seating distance, which was assumed. What I refuted was the value it had with my conjecture that given a RELATIVE seating distance which provides the same field of view, that the screen size is not a factor (also assumes same resolution.)

The larger field of view provides for the better immersion period. Given a fixed seating distance, that means larger screen. Both the articles and AVSForum threads do not refute this. And I believe would end up supporting my statement regarding field of view, if THAT were to be addressed.

Strap on a VR headset and use a fixed image (not a VR image that moves as you move your head) now display it on your projector at normal seating distance. Then ask yourself three questions.
    1.) Which one has a larger screen?
    2.) Which one provides for a larger field of view?
    3.) Which one is more immersive?

Apprentice

@smokin joker do you have an iPad? If so look at your tv screen then hold the iPad at the relative distance and they will cover the same space which is what I believe taz427 is trying to say. If I'm wrong please ignore me

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SmoknJokr
    I guess I provided the facts. You still chose to ignore them and assert your own conclusuons..

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SmoknJokr
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron101 View Post
    @smokin joker do you have an iPad? If so look at your tv screen then hold the iPad at the relative distance and they will cover the same space which is what I believe taz427 is trying to say. If I'm wrong please ignore me
    That is what he is saying. I am saying a large screen is more immersive and has more impact. That is a fact no matter how much or little your field of view is filled. There is still a space between you and the screen. There is more area for your eyes to see. Therefore you cannot "trick" your brain into believing you are looking at a large screen unless there isn't anything else to see. That's how vr glasses provide a large screen experience. You will never convince me or anyone else who knows better that a small screen is as immersive as a large screen.

That was my original statement. 3D loses impact on smaller screen. That is why it failed in the home. People are not getting the experience they were from the cinema. You cannot recreate a large screen environment by moving your seat closer.... smdh!

I also notice no one ever provides a link that says all sizes of screens are equally immersive with proper seating distance.
    Last edited by Smokin Joker; 09-04-2014 at 15:09.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokin Joker View Post
    I also notice no one ever provides a link that says all sizes of screens are equally immersive with proper seating distance.
    And I never see anyone saying that Bigger screens are more immersive when the seating distances are adjusted such that they have the same field of view. They all assume fixed seating distances, or seating distances that do not provide the same field of view. I've asked for anyone to find a study that address this one singular point. None have addressed it in the comparisons

Note, I'm not talking about tiny TVs either, I'm comparing a 64" to 100" at relative seating distances that are fixed in position, not an iPad held up, as your heads movement up down side to side would displace the panel too much. But it's why I did mention VR googles as it's fixed position on the head (and don't go off topic here as I stated with a fixed image and then compare it big screen TV at your normal seating.) As you do get to small screens that are fixed position such as a 24" monitor, small head movements (left right up down) will result in seeing the monitor shift, we all tend to do this especially when playing video games, at the distances needed to fill the same field of view on small screens these shifts of the head result in noticing the screen and what's behind it. While the relative difference with a 64" and 100" it's not noticeable. I don't know where the breaking point is, I don't notice it on my 32" TV but I do notice it on my 24" monitors.

I addressed one point, with a specific stipulation that is never addressed in the bigger is better arguments, which is relative seating distance such that they both fill the same field of view. And all the proof that is thrown against my argument assumes fixed seating distances (or in the case were seating distance was adjusted in the technical study, the smaller TV had a laughably long seating distance and the big screen had a laughably short seating distance making the big screen have a huge field of view and the small screen a very small field of view relative to each other.)

The refusal to even consider what I'm saying, and directly address what I'm saying shows a proverbial ostrich attitude. Stick your head back in the ground and keep saying it's not true.

Never tried it. I was wondering if it was any good. I would love to try it but I'm not buying a 3D TV just to be disappointed.

Thread Information