Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

This is why I won't use Facebook Messenger App

I'm not sure how many of you have seen what this app can do when you install it but this is why I'll never have it on my phone or tablet!

I took this screenshot from the app store when it prompted me to get it

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    That's pretty much everything you download from my experience. I'm sure if you were to go and download the standalone Facebook app it would say the same. Some of it I can explain but the text messages is one thing I don't get. I guess it links your contacts with Facebook so if you get a message from them through Facebook it automatically goes to your text. Idk. I rarely use Facebook.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    That's pretty much everything you download from my experience. I'm sure if you were to go and download the standalone Facebook app it would say the same. Some of it I can explain but the text messages is one thing I don't get. I guess it links your contacts with Facebook so if you get a message from them through Facebook it automatically goes to your text. Idk. I rarely use Facebook.
    You're not wrong buddy I just checked and it does say the same stuff lol, I didn't realise they were that desperate to get market research

Forum Overseer
    i can't see the picture, could you describe what you're saying here?

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar View Post
    i can't see the picture, could you describe what you're saying here?
    yeah basically when you install the app it can read your text messages, send them, access your contacts, take pictures and videos using your camera, record audio, read any SD card you may have and even remove stuff from it, it can call the phone numbers you have stored and find your location using the GPS.

I get some of the accessibility they want but some of it just seems excessive. Also I didn't think about it until PS4freak said about it but they can do that with their normal Facebook app as well, I wonder if Twitter and Instagram can do this stuff too!

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Facebook sucks anyway, Twitter is where it all happens!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Forum Overseer
    just because it's normal, don't think it's ok. that's what they want you to think. the first time i realized this as well, i was cautious then i noticed i didn't care anymore. they know you will be desensitized, that's the whole gamble. then they can ask you for anything and well, no one even looks at that stuff.

yes, this is one of the things i try to tell people.

sometimes they will say they want access to your phone calls, text msgs. they use it for research and sell off information about you that you put in there.

it can also be used to spy on you, more rare but the door is always open and i can say that i'm not making this up because it has happened, there is proof. ask edward snowden.

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Facebook sucks anyway, Twitter is where it all happens!
    haha you know it

I just checked the twitter app and it can do similar things, I feel like a numpty now saying I won't use this when all the $#@! I use can do it all anyway ignorance is bliss

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    Not going to install this, and had stopped updating the facebook app on my windows phone, but installed 8.1 yesterday and it automatically updated all my apps :'(

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Forum Overseer
    yeah, the problem with facebook and google and youtube is that it's not just them, now everyone is doing it. our future as of right now isn't so bright imo. people think this ends at privacy like who cares if some marketing company is making money off this, what they don't realize is that it goes much much beyond that. forget the possible government suppression. we're talking about normal companies discriminating, our freedoms are going to be trampled on, on a regular basis, there is proof already out there, it's just going to get worse. as much of a technology nut i am, i refuse to go beyond a certain point, my facebook has no information on it although they still retain my previous database...

11. Likes darky89 likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Wow that is intrusive. Can you opt out of all that stuff yet still install the app?

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Wow that is intrusive. Can you opt out of all that stuff yet still install the app?
    it's not the only app that does it either.

and no, you can't install it otherwise.

you see kids, this is why there are no free lunches XD

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    No facebook on my phone.

Not only do they have ridiculous things (like the image) set up that they are allowed to do if you install it, but it drains the $#@! out of your phone as well. I'm not that big of a facebook fan anyway. Mark Suckerberg can shove his app up his ass.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    You can turn off those settings if you do not want to use them. I personally could care less if Facebook was looking through everything on my phone. My life is boring, have at it.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal View Post
    You can turn off those settings if you do not want to use them. I personally could care less if Facebook was looking through everything on my phone. My life is boring, have at it.
    Pretty much the same here. If they want to read my $#@! and fart jokes in my text messages then have at it. I'm sure the nsa already has. Yay technology!

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Pretty much the same here. If they want to read my $#@! and fart jokes in my text messages then have at it. I'm sure the nsa already has. Yay technology!
    aw man now you've gotta share some of those jokes

Forum Overseer
    turn what settings off?
    you guys are missing the point here. of course, no one individually would care. it's about having a large database that can be harmful as a society.

Forum Sage

The thing that alarms me is that it can EDIT text messages. If your text messages can be edited, there is no telling what they can be edited to say. Congratulations. You are now an unwilling terrorist.

Before anyone accuses me, I AM that paranoid about things of this nature and legitimately so.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    turn what settings off?
    Settings so others can not access that information using the Facebook app. If you have all the settings enabled, I can use Facebook to view your contacts, phone numbers, pictures, and all sorts of information. Just because Facebook always has access to these, (which is stupidly obvious seeing it is their damn app) does not mean the rest of the world has this access.

None of this information about Facebook is news. All programs and apps have access to anything you allow it to have access to. None of this was a secret.

Here is another shocker! Google has access to your emails, pictures, addresses, phone numbers, ect.

P.S. This rant was not directed towards you alone. I was just ranting after I quoted you about the settings.
    Last edited by Lethal; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:10.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    I actually allow this on my Windows Phone and am not too bothered by it. Don't really have anything to hide.

besides, google has been spying on all my private stuff for years

However, it does make it easy when your phone can pull peoples phone numbers right off their facebook page. Or when you want to send someone a msg, or get to where they are using your phones GPS...It also handily uses the oh so "i can't be arsed to do this" feature of pulling the callers profile picture and using it with caller ID - i remember doing this manually on my old phone in high school; going through my contacts and adding a picture to them. good that it is automated now.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    No its not a secret but i wouldnt go as far to say its obvious, the only way we find out about this stuff is reading the terms and privacy details which hardly anyone does because it feels like a waste of time, a lot of things get hidden in the small details and they count on people not reading it.

Access to some stuff makes sense because it can sync contacts and calendar events just to make things easier and convenient but being able to access your text messages, camera and even record audio through your phone is mental.

We think we have a choice on what we share on the internet but the truth is we don't. Most of it won't come to anything or do us any harm but its more to do with the idea that nothing is personal anymore and personally that doesn't instill me with much confidence, especially with the fact there's nothing we can do about it. Thats why death scares me so much haha, people say you shouldnt worry because its inevitable, but that is what i find scary!

It sounds like im a conspiracy nut who wears tin foil hats and believes aliens try to contact us through crop circles but i promise im not haha. Also dont think I'm having a go at anyone i am a bit tipsy whilst writing this!
    Last edited by Sylar; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:08.

Forum Overseer
    Settings so others can not access that information using the Facebook app. If you have all the settings enabled, I can use Facebook to view your contacts, phone numbers, pictures, and all sorts of information. Just because Facebook always has access to these, (which is stupidly obvious seeing it is their damn app) does not mean the rest of the world has this access.

None of this information about Facebook is news. All programs and apps have access to anything you allow it to have access to. None of this was a secret.

Here is another shocker! Google has access to your emails, pictures, addresses, phone numbers, ect.

P.S. This rant was not directed towards you alone. I was just ranting after I quoted you about the settings.
    it's not news, we knew this a long time ago. what people don't realize is the potential problems with this as part of the big data.

also, i don't care about other people seeing my info, it's about facebook seeing it, using it, storing it forever, selling it off to whoever wants it.

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    You can't log out of the app until you delete it.
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | Nvidia 660 ti | 6 GB Corsair Xms 1333 Mhz | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 250 GB WD HDD | Windows 7 Ultimate |

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    All of those features are related to the app though. You can take pictures, voice record, and send/receive texts through the app.
    Last edited by Naxi; 2 Weeks Ago at 23:07.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Forum Sage
    it's not news, we knew this a long time ago. what people don't realize is the potential problems with this as part of the big data.

also, i don't care about other people seeing my info, it's about facebook seeing it, using it, storing it forever, selling it off to whoever wants it.
    So, I can see your emails?

What's your username / password?

27. Likes Ezekiel likes this post

Thread Information