Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Captncoke49

IGN: The Order 1886 seems great but.....

296 The upcoming PlayStation 4 game excels in some respects, but stumbles where it counts.

BY MARTY SLIVAThe Order: 1886 demo I played at PAX Prime was one of the stranger slices of a game Iíve played in quite some time. It managed to reel me in from the get-go and keep my attention until the very end, despite some deep gameplay flaws. Letís start with the positives.

I donít need to tell you that The Order is a gorgeous video game. The characters, setting, and lighting effects are all top-notch. The world is an interesting and unique setting that straddles a nice line between Victorian horror and alternate history. The idea of a game combining werewolves and Nikola Tesla is fantastic -- I love the looking at a historical setting and playing with the idea of what it would be like with a dash of technology here and a bit of magic there. The few major events I was privy to inside of the world were equally intriguing. The voice work and banter between my team was great, and it was genuinely one of the few times where a game transitioned from a cinematic into gameplay, and I just sat there not moving because I didnít spot the hard-cut from one to the other.

But sadly, as much as I really admired these aspects of The Order, the actual act of playing the game resonated far less with me. This certainly isn't the first time we've had reservations about The Order's gameplay. Once I did actually realize that I was in control of my character, I was thrust into a cover-based gunfight against a mob of enemies scattered across the levels of a nearby building. The sticky-cover system definitely feels like Gears of War, which is not a knock in my book. Epic really nailed that aspect, so thereís no reason to fix what isnít broke. But while Gears had a great suite of weapons with some fantastic visual feedback when you made contact with an enemy, The Orderís arsenal felt like some really gorgeous prop guns.

ď
    ...I couldnít help but compare my progression to an early-'70s Disneyland attraction.

My main weapon in the demo was the Thermite Rifle, a machine gun that also fired off explosive-flares. I loved the small detail of how the flare would corkscrew through the air on its way to my target, but igniting the explosive never gave me the desired effect. Blasts right on top of enemies didnít seem to faze them, and certain explosions would cause structural damage while others seemed to just be bursts of light. So I instead decided to focus on picking them off with my rifle. The problem here was that the bullets spread out in such a wide area so quickly, that I could burst-fire an entire clip at an enemy across a street and have every single bullet miss its target.

Trying to pick off the seemingly-endless droves of enemies became a Sisyphean task until I switched over to my tiny pistol sidearm, which didnít feel all-that great to use, but at least did a better job at dispatching the enemies. As I made my way through the town to my eventual destination, I couldnít help but compare my progression to an early-'70s Disneyland attraction. Enemies would pop in and out of cover, but exhibited the lack-of awareness and sense of self-preservation of an animatronic. The feedback I received from a direct hit didnít feel empowering, but rather like when your laser-sight would get close enough to a node in a shooting gallery.

The demo closed with a moment where my party barricaded themselves in decrepit building. I was told to wander around and search for any clues in the environment that might help lead us to safety. The first quiet moment of the demo, I was immediately shocked by how close the third-person camera remained behind my character. The space we were in was relatively small, but the lack of distance between me and my avatar led to a claustrophobic and disorientating effect, and not in a good way like what Bloodborne accomplished. I finally had a moment to soak in The Order's world, and all I wanted was for it to be over.

Given how gorgeous The Order: 1886 is, I want to be able to explore its world. Given how well-defined its environment is, I want to enjoy parsing through every nook and cranny. Given how much I admire its character design and writing, I want to spend time unraveling its mysteries. Iím bummed out that the actual act of playing The Order seems to urge me away from what I want. Reading about the more horror-centric slice of the game that Colin got to play at E3 leaves me with a bit of hope that the demo I saw might not be representative of everything weíll be playing in February. Hereís to hoping.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/...-for-one-thing

My worries about this game have come to fruition. I hope they fix these things out before release. I really think this game has a lot of promise.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    LordVenger
    Items User name style
    I'm willing to wait and see if the final game ends up being like what sound like very early alpha demos. If they can get the game play nailed this could be a very cool game. They seem to have the graphics sorted, and hopefully they are reading the comments of early gamers and their own testers...

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    I read this the other day and although there are some concerns about the game I think I shall wait for the final product before basing a decision from this article!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Twitch ID: http://www.twitch.tv/duffman041986/profile

My Youtube Gaming Channel - Now with commentary: Duffman Gaming

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    I read this the other day and although there are some concerns about the game I think I shall wait for the final product before basing a decision from this article!
    I Shall Also Wait! For jumping conclusions is but foolish!

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    At this point, it seems like they're wanting everyone to think the game is only as good as this 8 month old demo.

Sony $#@!ed up the marketing of this game big time. No coop, no multiplayer is already going to be a negative for this game. Showing off a very linear area of the game is not going to make people think "hmm, there will still be replay value despite their being no multiplayer." Single player only means that people are going to want nearly every encounter to be different with each playthrough. They're going to want a 10+ hour campaign. They're going to want the story to be amazing from beginning to end.

I hope the next demo answers all questions and put doubts to rest. I'm already interested in their universe. I just need to know the length of the game and see a lot more non tight-linear areas.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    I am tempering my expectations at this point. It sounding more and more like a good game and less and less like a great game.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Deathmask Divine
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Hopefully it will be sorted by the time it's released, this game looked really decent to begin with. I think I will hold off on the pre order just to be on the safe side

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    This game probably will be the first exclusive I am going to buy used.
    (ē_ē)
    ( ē_ē)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

Stop preordering games! Stop buying day1 games! Stop being idiots!

9. Likes MajorCynik_ likes this post
    Veteran
    First, this review is from IGN and their reviews have turned to garbage. Just when you thought game "journalism" couldn't get any worse, sites like IGN let us know the depths have been barely explored. Second, it looked like gameplay footage from the press conference, and it looks like a decent 3rd person cover shooter. The stuff the writer criticizes as deficient are the final polishes to the game, often not getting into the game until just before going gold. There wasn't anything he was whining about that sounded like final fine tuning won't improve. It's a wonder if this guy is some n00b, with all the "journalist" turnover, that doesn't realize you can't judge a final game from an alpha or beta that is several months old. Wonder if IGN is now the acronym for Idiot Gamerwannabe News.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Captncoke49
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    I am tempering my expectations at this point. It sounding more and more like a good game and less and less like a great game.
    This is exactly how I feel about this game right now. I honestly think Sony is going to make sure this game succeeds and any flaws right now will be addressed. IGN can be harsh with demos of incomplete games.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligmerk View Post
    First, this review is from IGN and their reviews have turned to garbage. Just when you thought game "journalism" couldn't get any worse, sites like IGN let us know the depths have been barely explored. Second, it looked like gameplay footage from the press conference, and it looks like a decent 3rd person cover shooter. The stuff the writer criticizes as deficient are the final polishes to the game, often not getting into the game until just before going gold. There wasn't anything he was whining about that sounded like final fine tuning won't improve. It's a wonder if this guy is some n00b, with all the "journalist" turnover, that doesn't realize you can't judge a final game from an alpha or beta that is several months old. Wonder if IGN is now the acronym for Idiot Gamerwannabe News.
    This questions are not just belong to him but most of the ps4 users , I am sure of it, and developers does only provide us some hints about era and environment and a few shoting videos behind a cover. RAD needs to provide us more info or they will never erease our doubts about the game.
    Given how gorgeous The Order: 1886 is, I want to be able to explore its world. Given how well-defined its environment is, I want to enjoy parsing through every nook and cranny. Given how much I admire its character design and writing, I want to spend time unraveling its mysteries.
    (ē_ē)
    ( ē_ē)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

Stop preordering games! Stop buying day1 games! Stop being idiots!

13. Likes Two4DaMoney , Captncoke49 likes this post
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Captncoke49 View Post
    This is exactly how I feel about this game right now. I honestly think Sony is going to make sure this game succeeds and any flaws right now will be addressed. IGN can be harsh with demos of incomplete games.
    Yep. I just don't want to set myself up for disappointment. Too often I get taken by the visuals and then am let down by the gameplay. Ready at Dawn hasn't created a game of this scope before (I don't think) so this may be a game they can grow/learn from. Look at the leap Naughty Dog made from the first Uncharted, for example. Not an exact comparison as ND had done some major stuff before, but nothing like Uncharted.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

15. Likes MajorCynik_ likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Captncoke49
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Yep. I just don't want to set myself up for disappointment. Too often I get taken by the visuals and then am let down by the gameplay. Ready at Dawn hasn't created a game of this scope before (I don't think) so this may be a game they can grow/learn from. Look at the leap Naughty Dog made from the first Uncharted, for example. Not an exact comparison as ND had done some major stuff before, but nothing like Uncharted.
    If it turns out be a good game like the first uncharted, I don't think many would complain including myself. I like both the graphics and what we've seen of the gameplay. But I would like to see more to make a decision.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    I think the gameplay in The Order 1886 looks more than fine. I don't get what the problem is with some ppl.

Sure it's generic. But aren't all major games nowadays? Everyone follows trends. It doesn't look any worse than any other good third person shooter game. Besides, I'm sure this game will be supported more by story than gameplay. I play games all the time for story and graphics rather than gameplay.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    The explore feature of the game is on the same level from what I have seen as LA Noire, even the dam "lets just reverse the animation" for picking things up and putting them down.

My biggest issue is the actual game animations look clunky.
    Last edited by mynd; 09-01-2014 at 23:59.

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    The marketing team seems stupid. Very stupid.

The two demos of this game was to introduce the players into something new. The first demo, introducing the thermite rifle, was to show players how and when it's best to use that specific weapon. For people who aren't closed-minded, that would lead us to believe that the combat system will involve strategy for when it's best to use certain weapons. RAD/Sony, for some odd reason, didn't tell anyone that. That would have cut back on some of the negativity and would give people something to look forward to.

The second demo, that introduced the werewolf, also served as an introduction purpose. It showed us how the werewolves transformed. It showed us how they looked down at humans. And it showed us just how frightening and dangerous they are. Our main character was about to piss his pants based off how he reacted in the cutscene. RAD/Sony, yet again, failed to tell the media the purpose of the linear demo which has lead people to thinking that the entire game will be going down small alleys and tight paths in buildings.

I understand exactly what they're doing. Going linear for introductions isn't something I'm mad at but it's time that they show these other gameplay areas. They're in the game. RAD confirmed so on twitter but twitter just isn't enough to cover up two demos and press coverage about the order being a "linear, ect." game. They have to shut this down and they have yet to get off their asses to do so.
    Last edited by Two4DaMoney; 09-02-2014 at 00:12.

20. Likes Gaddes likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    X-x-Stallion-x-X
    Items LBP Sephiroth
    I don't get it...

People have already compared this to the linearity of Uncharted and the Last of Us and countless others - perhaps even MGS maybe... (granted you can't compete with Naughty Dog or Kojima when it comes to quality) but not being able to fully explore vast areas for large parts of the game didn't detract anything from the glowing reviews those games got. Surely these kind of games are mostly about the story and immersion, so the fact that some people are having issues with the amount of playtime Vs the time you're watching cutscenes seems equally bizarre. But then I've also seen plenty of previews that see plenty of potential in the game so I don't think the negatives need to be the full impression people get of the entire game YET.

I'm not defending the game entirely, from the bits I've seen its got a huge Resistance/Killzone-like vibe for me, in that its the kind of shooter we kind of expect from Sony's first party (albeit third person this time) and I'm still totally split on whether its anything I'd enjoy or drop cash on straight away.

I just don't think the points being raised as issues in this case are particularly detrimental to the kind of game the guys 'n girls at RAD are going for. Open world isn't always the key to a fantastic game - nice if its there and full of reasons to actually have it, but not essential. That, and also like others have said, its way, way too early to tell whether or not its anything to be worried about.

Don't go around believing that Great Wizards solve all your problems, because there aren't any and they don't and I should know because I'm not one...

Superior Member

Delay the game sony... I rather have good game later than crap sooner...

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Gaddesreinhart
    Items PS3 FatVita
    The Order 1886 is amazing eye candy, but I remain unimpressed. I guess it's "filmic" at least lol
    Retired FFXI player. FFXIV player, Malboro Server.

24. Likes MajorCynik_ likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Still hyped about the game, won't let these negative previews turn me off. The guy mostly seems to be complaining about the gameplay, but from the few gameplay vids i have watched, it looked more than decent. Sure it isn't doing anything revolutionary and seemingly borrows ideas from other games like gow, but i thought it got the job done. Another concern that has been levied is that the game lacks a multiplayer component, but that again doesn't really bother me as i'm much more of a single player gamer.

Thread Information