Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Recently Cooked Food Thread!

We have a recent purchases thread, a recent movies seen and games played thread(s), but we don't have a recently made food thread. I thought it would be fun to show the inner cook in some or all of us. I love to travel and when I do, I love trying out foods of different cultures, so I wanted to see what some of you folks enjoy on a regular basis or a special occasion in each of your respective countries and areas or regions.

You can post pics of the most recent meal you cooked or something you were proud of from the past and write down the ingredients list and how to make it under the picture. But you don't have to. You can go all vague and let the viewer decide. Obviously, the way food is made is subjective, more or less. But there are right and wrong ways to do it and custom ways, akin to each persons tastes.

And if you don't cook, you can also post pics of ready-made frozen dinners or hot fast food you purchased from a restaurant or store. Almost anything goes here, as long as it's food related and I'd like this thread to continue for a while. It'll give someone who wants to try out something new a fresh breakfest, lunch or dinner that they've never tried before and I'd like to also learn how to cook more foods. It's nice a life skill to have.

So yeah, I'll start off.

This is a do-it-yourself Honey Garlic sauce recipe. And this is just one way to make it. It's a thick and sticky variation.

My ingredients were:

5 cloves of Garlic, minced (you can chop them yourself or use a blender, depending on your style)

4-5 tablespoons of honey (this is essential to the sauce IMO, which gives it that sweet taste. Although I wouldn't mind trying my next batch with Maple Syrup instead)

75-100 ML of brown sugar (although I'm sure normal white sugar works well, but as long as it's not powder sugar..and this ingredient isn't even necessary if you have honey)

3-4 tablespoons of soya sauce (you can go brand name or no-name and you can go regular or low sodium)

1-2 tablespoons of corn starch or flour (this is to get the sauce thick, as opposed to liquid-ish. Again, this is just one variation of this recipe)

150-175 ML of water (this is generally the last ingredient or first, to add to the mix, but it helps in creating the sauce and giving it volume and texture, but generally, volume)

Now, you can add the water once, or you can add it last, but you must mix all these ingredients into a sauce pan and bring it to a boil...don't worry if it looks like water at first because once it reaches the boiling point, the corn starch will take effect into giving it that thick and sticky texture. And stir occasionally until you get to the boiling point and after you get to the boiling point.

And the amount of ingredients and how much you want to use is up to your standard. You don't have to follow this. I'm still experimenting with it as this is my first time. I love the result and it is by far a million times better than supermarket brand name Honey Garlic sauce.

Once you're satisfied with your sauce, let it cool for a bit and drop it in a jar or whatever you feel can hold it, as long as it has a lid. Then, you can use it as a marinade for your chicken breast, chicken drumstick, but most famously, chicken wings.

If it's only a little thick, you can use it as a dipping sauce for your chicken as well.

Well that's all, I seriously hope this thread continues for years to come, though that's probably asking much, but at least try folks.

Now post your stuff!

2. Likes Ezekiel, Sylar , MajorCynik_ likes this post
    Deathmask Divine
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    really cool thread idea buddy, I don't mind cooking but I prefer baking and making cakes! I'll share some pictures of stuff I've done though, all of it is pretty easy!

Mexican Rice Stuffed Peppers

Tuna Burgers

Chicken Curry

Victoria Sandwich

Banana Loaf

Disaronno Cupcakes

Chocolate Chip Shortbread

4. Likes MajorCynik_, Lebowski likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    bond4ever007
    You shouldn't check this thread while you're hungry...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaas View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My thoughts exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    really cool thread idea buddy, I don't mind cooking but I prefer baking and making cakes! I'll share some pictures of stuff I've done though, all of it is pretty easy!

Tuna Burgers

Chicken Curry

Victoria Sandwich

Banana Loaf

Disaronno Cupcakes

I envy you Sylar!

I really don't get baking, as far as im concerned, baking is black magic! It goes in all flat...and comes out all....pooffy??? HOW DOES IT DO THAT!!!??

And here's the bit i don't get. IT ONLY DOES THAT FOR OTHER PEOPLE!!! why doesn't anything i try do that? What comes out when i try could pass as a stone
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

7. Likes Sylar likes this post
    Elite Sage

A brownie with cherries and white chocolate sprinkles… among other things 😏

9. Likes MajorCynik_, Lebowski likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Making me hungry!

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    M4jorCyn1k
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaas View Post
    Too late!

Sylar, i need some of that Banana loaf now! Sounds real tasty

And that Brownie BBK looks lush.

Gaming since 1982. Cheers Clive.

Deathmask Divine
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorCynik_ View Post
    Too late!

Sylar, i need some of that Banana loaf now! Sounds real tasty

And that Brownie BBK looks lush.
    haha it is literally one of the easiest things to bake as well man, you don't need to do anything fancy either when preparing it!

I'll share the ingredients and process I use in case anyone wants to give it a go, you will need a 2lb loaf tin to make it in though.

Ingredients

Process

13. Likes Lebowski , MajorCynik_ likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    M4jorCyn1k
    haha it is literally one of the easiest things to bake as well man, you don't need to do anything fancy either when preparing it!

I'll share the ingredients and process I use in case anyone wants to give it a go, you will need a 2lb loaf tin to make it in though.
    Lovely job Sylar, i'll be getting a baking tin at the weekend then. I'll post a pic up when it's done, looks lush and i do love bananas.

edit: Shout for Lebowski also, good idea this thread. I'm often stuck for what to cook, bit uninspired when it comes to food which means i normally make the same things over and over. Can't 'like' posts on work browser for some reason.
    Last edited by MajorCynik_; 09-08-2014 at 18:00.

15. Likes Sylar likes this post
    Deathmask Divine
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorCynik_ View Post
    Lovely job Sylar, i'll be getting a baking tin at the weekend then. I'll post a pic up when it's done, looks lush and i do love bananas.

edit: Shout for Lebowski also, good idea this thread. I'm often stuck for what to cook, bit uninspired when it comes to food which means i normally make the same things over and over. Can't 'like' posts on work browser for some reason.
    Sounds good man! I forgot to mention as well that once you've put the mixture into the tin you can sprinkle more of the sugar on top if you want to give it a nice extra crunch

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    This is fantastic, thank you for posting in here. Man, Sylar that Chicken Curry looks delicious! I love Indian food.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    M4jorCyn1k
    Baked a banana loaf the other day from Sylar's recipe. It was eagerly devoured by me and some friends at the weekend though and didn't photo it before.

It was, however, delicious

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Just a smoothie today, thank you. Mango-, apple-, carrot-, banana-smoothie. With lots of crushed ice.

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Forum Sage

Tuna Burgers

Chicken Curry

Victoria Sandwich

Banana Loaf

Disaronno Cupcakes

Dat chicken curry recipe. YOU MUST SHARE IT! You have some mad baking skills. It all looks $#@!ing delicious.

21. Likes Sylar likes this post
    Deathmask Divine
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiel View Post
    Dat chicken curry recipe. YOU MUST SHARE IT! You have some mad baking skills. It all looks $#@!ing delicious.
    thanks man haha, i'll have to try and find the recipe!

Forum Sage

thanks man haha, i'll have to try and find the recipe!
    Sweet. I think I will enjoy making it when you do post it up.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    I had a birthday party last week and I prepared and purchased some food. I'll start it off with

Tomato Salad:

5-6 large tomatoes or more

1 whole onion, chopped

2-3 Tablespoons of vinegar

1 tablespoon of oil

2 teaspoons of salt or vegeta (if you're European, you'll know what that is LOL)

1 optional tablespoon of balsamic vinegar

Chicken Breast Snitchzel (in egg)

4-5 pieces of boneless chicken breast, you will have to cut them in pieces of three of four and beat them with a meat tenderizer, the clean side without the spikes

5-6 eggs, whisked

2 tablespoons of salt or vegeta (again refer to first pic if you're European), mix that in the eggs that are whisked

1 optional bowl of bread crumbs/pesmet if you wanna make it crunchy and traditional

and finally, you'll need a large and deep frying pan and lots of oil

Dip the pieces of chicken breast in the whisked egg bowl, you can flip them on each side or let them soak in it and then cook it until golden brown or after taste and you're done!

It's really nice if it's served with mashed potatoes and thick, homemade tomato sauce...at least that's how my family does it in Romania

Garlic sauce, this was taught to me by my step uncle from Germany. It didn't turn out like the way he did it, which was $#@!ing amazing, but I will post the recipe

1 whole garlic, minced or crushed

1 whole onion, green or red, minced

a bit of herbs, minced

1 large teaspoon or mustard

2-3 teaspoons of oil, and the key here is not to have too little oil or too much

mix these together to get the garlic sauce...great for dipping in chicken and chevapi/mititei/wurst/sausages or generally with pork or chicken

These are traditional Romanian cabbage rolls cooked with pork. I don't know the recipe because I bought these from a local Romanian store next to me, but my god these are fantastic. I love this type of food. The succulent and fatty oils from the porc, mixed with the sour cabbage give it a refined taste. And there are much bigger versions of these cabbage rolls, but I find them to lack in flavour. The smaller the better in this case. The way the Russians do cabbage rolls however is my least favourite. It tastes too much like dry meat loaf and the sauce sucks. But here, the sauce and oil is used sparingly and the subtlety of it gives it such a distinct and traditional taste from other cabbage roll recipes. I highly recommend trying cabbage rolls if you ever happen to go to Romania for vacation or family. Or, if there's a Romanian deli near you in town. You won't regret it. And I find the cabbage is good fiber for your body and helps you go number 2 much easier. So it's slightly healthy too. Oh and this is eaten best with white rye bread and/or sour cream. If you can get home-made sour cream that's really fatty, it will do wonders. I find the store bought sour cream really sucks. It has no taste.

some wider shots of the party food table, I had 9 guests over which was plenty given the apartment size and they all loved it. Looking forward to next year. BTW, I turned 25 last week and it's scary to think about.

Also, if you'd like to discuss more food with me or have some recipes, feel free to add me to PSN

My PSN is Cartman_Lebowski

25. Likes Sylar , Ezekiel likes this post
    Deathmask Divine
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    that food looks really nice Lebowski!

I finally finished my cake tonight, I'm glad I did the sponge yesterday because it took a good amount of time just doing the icing!

for the sponge I used:

• 8oz self raising flour
    • 8oz caster sugar
    • 8oz unsalted butter
    • 4 eggs
    • 2 tsp vanilla essence
    • yellow food colouring
    • orange food colouring
    • red food colouring
    • green food colouring
    • blue food colouring

I didn't measure what I used for the icing but it was roughly 10-12oz butter and then just added icing sugar until it reached the right taste and consistency. I also chucked in roughly 1 tsp of vanilla essence.

27. Likes Lebowski likes this post
    Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    ermahgerd!! Sylar you are a magician!

So jelly, i can't bake for shiz! >_<

One question though, is that supposed to be a rainbow? coz the colours are wrong

Sig courtesy of the_jim

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    I didn't know this thread existed, I cook and bake a lot. Kind of a necessity when the wife doesn't cook much.
    Fiji, any one can cook or bake, its just a matter of practice

If you're looking for some quick ass simple even you wont $#@! it up recipes I got plenty

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    I didn't know this thread existed, I cook and bake a lot. Kind of a necessity when the wife doesn't cook much.
    Fiji, any one can cook or bake, its just a matter of practice

If you're looking for some quick ass simple even you wont $#@! it up recipes I got plenty
    Oh i can cook like a mutha trucker!

My baking creations on the other hand are more likely to pass as stones than actual baked goods
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    Oh i can cook like a mutha trucker!

My baking creations on the other hand are more likely to pass as stones than actual baked goods
    Its all in the baking powder.

Make sure the time between adding the baking powder and getting it wet to when it goes in the oven is minimal. So when they say add eggs or milk etc, dont muck about add the $#@!ers, mix well enough and bung it into the oven.
    Make sure oven is at desired temp as well.
    And don't open the door to see how its cooking till the very end.

you really cant go wrong, unless you don't add enough BP.

Thread Information