Forum Sage

Opinion Piece: Hip-Hop's Salvation Lies In Reinventikon

When I think of hip-hop music, my mind automatically reminisces of the days of the 80's and 90's when we were treated to the musical delicacies of Michael Jackson, Mariah Carey and so many other artists that brought so many hours of fun and relaxation when we listened to their musical masterpieces. But somehow for me, hip-hop wasn't the only genre of music I listened to. For me, it was one of a few genres I listened to. Along with hip-hop, I listened to alternative rock, heavy metal, techno, the occasional classical and contemporary, and various lesser known genres and sub-genres. I was never content with just one style of music and I continually looked to expand my horizons. The only exception to this has been with country and other hill-people styles of music as I always found these genres to be a bit depressing. Heck; I even listened to foreign music styles like Chinese, Japanese and the occasional Hispanic song. One thing is for sure, I tried to develop and keep a diverse and versatile palette.

Fast forward to today...

What has happened to hip-hop? What happened to the talent? Aside from some underground artists, it seems that hip-hop has turned into a sex-crazed, attention-$#@!-seeking and pointless jibberish spewing genre of melodramatic spiel. I mean yes; there are still songs that sound okay melodically and some are even a bit catchy. But other than that, nothing from the genre holds my attention past one or two plays. I just don't get the hairs-sticking-up-on-end-at-the-back-of-my-neck vibe that I used to get when listening to songs like, "Smooth Criminal". It just all feels so... meh.

Over the years, my taste in music has only evolved. I've started including cross-genre mixes and mash-ups into my palette and even gone so far as to look for different genre covers of the same songs just to hear how different they sound in metal, techno, acoustic, classical and so forth and so on. One thing I believe to be certain is that hip-hop sounds so much better with electric guitars, double-pedal bass and those electronic key instruments. I feel that when I listen to certain songs from the sounds of another genre, they come alive and oftentimes, in ways I didn't think possible. Sometimes, I get the hairs on the back of neck to stand straight up in excitement.

So what does this mean for hip-hop? To be honest, I don't see it fading away. I think that I have to give it credit where it's due. Hip-hop has always been good with experimenting with different sounds, rhythms, beats, harmonics and vocals. It has the potential to be the most diverse sounding genre of all the genres of music. The problem with hip-hop is its copycat nature. This isn't a knock on hip-hop as a whole but more with the artists of today. Today's artists seem hellbent on copying each other and the works of their predecessors. This isn't to say that other bands and groups of other genres don't do it; far from it. But from where I'm standing, this evolving trend of copycat and follow-the-leader antics doesn't bode well for hip-hop.

For hip-hop to truly shine, artists must be willing to experiment and produce completely new and diverse music. Simply incorporating a couple sounds from other genres in an effort to produce "something new" isn't gonna cut it. Artists are going to have to diversify and come up with radical musical shifts. Furthermore, they are going to have to drop the sex-crazed, attention-$#@!-seeking and jibberish lyrical atrocities they've become accustomed to spewing. They are going to have to get intelligent with their music by singing more about current events and matters of the heart and mind that don't involve sex, attention and jibberish. What I'm calling for is a complete reinvention of hip-hop.

So what are your thoughts? Do you agree or disagree? What do you have to add?

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Meh hip hop can't be defined by an era, it's an ever evolving genre...i guess you have to pick the era you liked/loved the most and stick with it

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Captncoke49
    I never thought Micheal Jackson and Mariah Carey as hip hop. They are IMO pop and R&B. But yes I agree with you to an extent that rap( not hip hop) is garbage. The true definition of hip hop is what you are looking for. Hip hop is about telling a story, current events, and pure lyricism (wordplay). Hip hop is rarely played on the radio because it doesn't talk about sex, drugs, money, and cars in a glorified way. That's not to say those things can't be entertaining because in the end that is what it's there for. You can't take any of it seriously. What's funny about it all, is that this has been going on since I was a kid. You had garbage rap and good hip hop. Like Mullah said, hip hop is not defined by an era it is ever evolving and in some cases in a good way. You just won't hear it on mainstream radio. I like my 90's era hip hop but I also like what I listen to from this era, I just don't listen to the radio. Lol
    Last edited by Captncoke49; 17 Hours Ago at 23:15.

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I try and avoid the typical crap they mainly play on the radio because it's all so generic and has no meaning behind it, all they ever go on about is money, sex, fashion and getting drunk. This isn't helped either by all these talent shows where people want to be famous singers and end up having all their songs written for them and then eventually fade away as the newer versions come along.

Personally I think there are a lot of decent rappers and hip hop artists around but they don't get any attention because being meaningful and relative to current events doesn't sell records. Sometimes I search through youtube and soundcloud to find them and it's surprising what comes up!

No doubt most people have seen this but I was so happy to come across it

5. Likes Ezekiel, Captncoke49 likes this post
    Forum Sage

All fair points. @ Sylar. I've never seen that video before but that is a fine example of what I think the genre is is missing. It's too bad that people like this man are not mainstream.

Thread Information