PSN ID
    Xbunker89x

Grand theft auto 5 install

Hey there,
    I'm new here and also to PS3. I just bought 12gb super slim with plans to upgrade the HDD. Anywas, I bought 4 used games from a local pawn shop. Call of dutys, assassin creed and GTAV. GTAV is basically the only reason I bought a PS3. I've never played it and been dying to experience it. All the discs are clean and free of major scratches, maybe 1-2 minor if that at all. All games install and play perfectly. I clear all data from my PS3 to install GTAV to have the space. The disc loads, I cancel for the update and it goes to installation screen. The pictures change with the music. It installs like 6mb a sec. It reaches roughly 1600-1700mb/8124mb and stops?? The pictures still change but the install stays at a halt. I then clear data and retry. Again it stops at the same point?? What is happening and how to i fix this issue? Anybody else have the same problem? I'm at a loss and ready to give up on it all. This game is the only game I'm interested in. I know this cannot be the PS3, with being 1 day old and playing other games. Could it be the disc although it's like new? Please help me or maybe some idea? I'd hate to buy a brand new GTAV DUE TO $. Or could it be HDD space?

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    It is your hard drive. I believe you need larger than a 12gb hard drive to play GTA5.

Forum Overseer

go to your system settings and find out how much actual space is there because i highly doubt the OS is only using up a little. you may not have enough space.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    raremew
    Items Linkin ParkUser name style
    Sounds like you may not have enough space on your hard drive. I'm not sure if that is the case, but you can check how much space you have in the system settings. it will tell you how much you have left. I've only had one issue with a game installing, and i had enough space but i think it was cause of dlc or something.

PSN: raremew
    Playing: Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Soul Calibur V,Street Fighter X Tekken
    Quote: "People are able to hold onto hope, since death is that which cannot be seen."

PSN ID
    Xbunker89x
    With everything removed I have 9,100mb. The OS takes up the remainder of 12gb. According to the back of the case, and the installation screen. It requires 8,124mb. That's not updating it and playing offline story mode. Which is all I want. Wouldn't it show up insufficient space if I didn't have enough? Thanks I appreciate the reply. I'm totally fusterated.

PSN ID
    Xbunker89x
    That's what I'm leaning towards is the disc. It's just strange it stops at the same point each try. Possibly a scratch on that part of disc?

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    raremew
    you may need an extra 1 or 2 gbs free for the game, im not sure. but that seemed to be the case with one the games i tried to download

Quote: "People are able to hold onto hope, since death is that which cannot be seen."

PSN ID
    Xbunker89x
    That's true, it may require 1-2gb more. Looks like I may need to upgrade sooner than I thought.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    raremew
    Maybe so. Like I said im not 100 percent sure that is what the problem is, but some games may require you have a few more gb open for updates and stuff. I never have had that problem except with one game. Hopefully i helped out a lil.

PSN ID
    Xbunker89x
    Yeah you helped more than I've been able to read/find. I'm feeling hopeful that's the issue.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    raremew
    Quote Originally Posted by Xbunker89x View Post
    Yeah you helped more than I've been able to read/find. I'm feeling hopeful that's the issue.
    Well, I always make sure i have a few gbs open just in case . so i hope it helps

PSN ID
    Xbunker89x
    I hope so as well

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    The game should install and let you play. You will not be able to update the game with that hard drive. Update 1.16 is the update that forced people to have to upgrade their hard drive.

Return the game for a different disc.

PSN ID
    Xbunker89x
    That's exactly what I thought. I have just enough space. By canceling the update and just installing from disc. Thank you so much! Unfortunately pawn shops don't offer returns so I'm out the $. And now plan on buying brand new to avoid any disc issues with return options.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    That's exactly what I thought. I have just enough space. By canceling the update and just installing from disc. Thank you so much! Unfortunately pawn shops don't offer returns so I'm out the $. And now plan on buying brand new to avoid any disc issues with return options.
    If the game does not work, then you can return it to the pawn shop. They can not sell you a working game that does not work.

PSN ID
    Xbunker89x
    Really? Well I'm going to try today. My receipt says there are no returns/refunds on computers,CDs, games etc. They sold a unworkable disc. I thought they checked these things but I guess not.

Forum Overseer

are there scratches on it?

PSN ID
    Xbunker89x
    Honestly, maybe one or two very small scratches.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal View Post
    If the game does not work, then you can return it to the pawn shop. They can not sell you a working game that does not work.
    My experience has been different, and based on it, I'd say he's right. They don't take returns.

I once bought a used Dreamcast for $25 dollars (yes, it's not much, but at the time, for me, it was) and I handed the cashier money after asking her to take the system out, once the money was in her hands, and I changed my mind (I had not even left the store) she refused to give it back.

I gave her the money because I was a little excited about finding it, on inspection of the system and having second thoughts I decided if I am this unsure I shouldn't buy it but she decided otherwise, lol.

So if they wouldn't take a return on a system that was working* at the time when I hadn't even stepped out, I doubt a pawnshop would take return on a game they sold, that was taken out of the shop.

I suppose I could be wrong as this is a different pawnshop but who knows?

*it stopped working after a month... =/
    Last edited by sainraja; 4 Weeks Ago at 23:40.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KillingSpree0
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    My experience has been different, and based on it, I'd say he's right. They don't take returns.

I once bought a used Dreamcast for $25 dollars (yes, it's not much, but at the time, for me, it was) and I handed the cashier money after asking her to take the system out, once the money was in her hands, and I changed my mind (I had not even left the store) she refused to give it back.

I gave her the money because I was a little excited about finding it, on inspection of the system and having second thoughts I decided if I am this unsure I shouldn't buy it but she decided otherwise, lol.

So if they wouldn't take a return on a system that was working* at the time when I hadn't even stepped out, I doubt a pawnshop would take return on a game they sold, that was taken out of the shop.

I suppose I could be wrong as this is a different pawnshop but who knows?

*it stopped working after a month... =/
    Most pawn shops in my experience will not except any type of refund. They sell the stuff as is and you have to take the gamble to see if it's up to par with your expectations because right off the bat you already know you are getting something used. You should be able to ask them to test the items there, most of them will allow you so you don't blindly throw money

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KillingSpree0
    Honestly, maybe one or two very small scratches.
    It's not the disk. The way Bluray disks are built, they can be pretty scratched up and the data should be able to still get relayed good. You just need more space. When I had One Piece, I couldn't install or do anything because it required 22gbs and I had to have 26Gbs actually free for the game to function, that's without any updates or what have you. Take it to someone with a bigger harddrive and I bet it works

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

PSN ID
    Xbunker89x
    Thanks, unfortunately I don't know anybody with a PS3. I came to the conclusion I'm gonna get a brand new GTAV on Black Friday for $25. See if a new one works. If not then it's time to upgrade my HDD. It seems more cost effective to trial and error the disc then HDD first.

PSN ID
    Xbunker89x
    And no, they said as stated on receipt. Sold as is. Thankfully I only spent $10. But yeah the disc doesn't really look all that bad. But I guess the few scratches may be affecting it

Thread Information