Page 1 of 16 111 ... LastLast
    Super Elite
    Items User name style

Where the hell is everybody?

Is it me, or is this place getting more and more empty lately?
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | Nvidia 970 GTX | 6 GB Corsair Xms 1333 Mhz | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 250 GB WD HDD | Windows 7 Ultimate |

Forum Sage
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    No one ruin this by responding.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

3. Likes Ezekiel likes this post
    Super Moderator
    I'm here to ruin darky89's dastardly plan.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

[OT] Dragon Quest Heroes
    Dragon Quest General Discussion Thread

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Darky is creeping up the place. That's why no one wants to come here. They know he's going to stare at them creepily from the corner of the room with an uneasy grin on his face.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    Darky is creeping up the place. That's why no one wants to come here. They know he's going to stare at them creepily from the corner of the room with an uneasy grin on his face.
    That explains it I guess.
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | Nvidia 970 GTX | 6 GB Corsair Xms 1333 Mhz | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 250 GB WD HDD | Windows 7 Ultimate |

Administrator and Visionary
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    The forums are generally quieter around xmas time, plus November brought the games.

Sent from my GT-I9000

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by darky89 View Post
    No one ruin this by responding.
    You already ruined it by responding

Selected Members Council

PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Seems we only get the regulars posting now really, can't remember the last time a new member cropped up and posted frequently which is a shame! I have seen some new people join and leave a few comments but that is really about it......
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Twitch ID: http://www.twitch.tv/duffman041986/profile

My Youtube Gaming Channel - Now with commentary: Duffman Gaming

10. Likes Ayunir likes this post
    Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    Says the freak, freaking everyone out.

Administrator and Visionary
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Of course, aside form the Xmas period, forum activity has been slowly dying off over the last few years. Factors leading to this include the increasing popularity of social media where members can have direct access to and chat to the industry people that interest them. Sites like reddit where insiders go for AMAs and the like, sites like neogaf that have strong brand power and syndicated sites like IGN, Gamespot etc that also have strong brand power that people enjoy associating with. Ontop of that, our site is so old and outdated and simply an antiquated fgorm of online discussion that requires redundant things like unique accounts as opposed to sites that allow you to sign in via facebook/twitter/google+ etc).

Pending on a meeting with the owners, we are hoping to change forum software come early February. Chris and Varsh will be working on it. It'll be a time to reinvent the traditional forum experience with a much more contemporary approach and features that fall more inline with today's social media structures (like the aforementioned universal log ins). When we implemented Disqus comments on the front page there was an immediate spike in the number of comments as people were able to comment using their Disqus login without having to register at PSU.

It will be an exciting time as these changes will be driven by our community and this will be done as a labor of love (aka for free). We have an amazing forum team at the moment and with our tech team, anything that we want to implement is possible providing it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to buy. We are really just waiting on this migration to start rebuilding the place and trying to create something new and unique in regards to online communities.

You guys that have stuck around are awesome and I'm personally really grateful to all those who have remained loyal to PSU. We kindly ask that you endure just a little longer and play a part in the rebirth of this place as we shape and mold it into a new experience early next year. Again, this depends on the greenlight from the owners so this isn't set in concrete but it's looking promising and they'd be a lil silly to pass up on the opportunity for such an upgrade done put of passion for free.

Forum Sage
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    Last edited by darky89; 12-13-2014 at 15:59.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

14. Likes Ghost likes this post
    Elite Member
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Of course, aside form the Xmas period, forum activity has been slowly dying off over the last few years. Factors leading to this include the increasing popularity of social media where members can have direct access to and chat to the industry people that interest them. Sites like reddit where insiders go for AMAs and the like, sites like neogaf that have strong brand power and syndicated sites like IGN, Gamespot etc that also have strong brand power that people enjoy associating with. Ontop of that, our site is so old and outdated and simply an antiquated fgorm of online discussion that requires redundant things like unique accounts as opposed to sites that allow you to sign in via facebook/twitter/google+ etc).

Pending on a meeting with the owners, we are hoping to change forum software come early February. Chris and Varsh will be working on it. It'll be a time to reinvent the traditional forum experience with a much more contemporary approach and features that fall more inline with today's social media structures (like the aforementioned universal log ins). When we implemented Disqus comments on the front page there was an immediate spike in the number of comments as people were able to comment using their Disqus login without having to register at PSU.

It will be an exciting time as these changes will be driven by our community and this will be done as a labor of love (aka for free). We have an amazing forum team at the moment and with our tech team, anything that we want to implement is possible providing it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to buy. We are really just waiting on this migration to start rebuilding the place and trying to create something new and unique in regards to online communities.

You guys that have stuck around are awesome and I'm personally really grateful to all those who have remained loyal to PSU. We kindly ask that you endure just a little longer and play a part in the rebirth of this place as we shape and mold it into a new experience early next year. Again, this depends on the greenlight from the owners so this isn't set in concrete but it's looking promising and they'd be a lil silly to pass up on the opportunity for such an upgrade done put of passion for free.
    Can't wait to see the new forum!

Battlelog: MrUltraah | PSN: kipkebab92 | Steam: ultraah | Xfire: dahultrapro

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by WaxWeazle View Post
    Can't wait to see the new forum!
    Neither can we!
    "Love the life you live, and live the life you love." ~ Bob Marley

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    The forums are generally quieter around xmas time, plus November brought the games.

Sent from my GT-I9000
    For some reason I didn't think of that.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    When it's late on Christmas Day there'll be a thread "So what did you all get for Christmas?" and there will be much rejoicing. Also in the winter in the frozen lands of Earth we will be forced to eat our Minstrels and there will be much rejoicing.

Forum Sage

Dafuq is a Minstrel? I thought I read menstrual at first.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    A Minstrel is a medieval bard that sung stories of heroic deeds or imaginary events, or in the case of Robin...

Or my favourite Minstrels:

21. Likes Ezekiel likes this post
    Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    They're all in my butthole and inside my urethra.

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Acid Snake View Post
    Is it me, or is this place getting more and more empty lately?

I think if other people have ideas, the staff should open up more into trying them rather than finding an excuse against trying it. for example, if someone comes on here wanting more people to watch game streaming, maybe psu.com could cut a deal and possibly get that person to tell people to check out the website? It may not always work out, but it's worth a shot to grow this site more.

Also, what's up with all the damn sub forums, there are sub sections for everything on here, like everything is everywhere. Probably would be a good idea to streamline the forums a bit more, it's almost too expanded at the moment in certain areas I think.
    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 12-14-2014 at 00:55.
    PSN ID: Intense_Peanut

Administrator
    ^ ^

I really don't know what you mean. That situation simply doesn't exist. If you have any ideas, please forward them to Administration, preferably without a demanding or derogatory tone. We're not just sitting around laughing at ideas and all the ways we can find to NOT implement them. There's a lot going on behind the scenes and as we approach the forum upgrade, the staff will be working their tooshes off ... especially Chris and Varsh on the technical side of things. There is a LOT of planning, organizing, and implementation that is going to be happening and it won't be an overnight process.

I can't think of a single staff member here who fits your description of finding excuses to discard community ideas.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    ^ ^

I really don't know what you mean. That situation simply doesn't exist. If you have any ideas, please forward them to Administration, preferably without a demanding or derogatory tone. We're not just sitting around laughing at ideas and all the ways we can find to NOT implement them. There's a lot going on behind the scenes and as we approach the forum upgrade, the staff will be working their tooshes off ... especially Chris and Varsh on the technical side of things. There is a LOT of planning, organizing, and implementation that is going to be happening and it won't be an overnight process.

I can't think of a single staff member here who fits your description of finding excuses to discard community ideas.
    I edited it. I'm not demanding anything, which is why I edited it, I guess it was a bit to late. I'm talking about ideas in forums to get people to get their butts in here. Now I understand that there was a person that was advertising their game streaming or whatever on here, but now I believe that topic was thrown out, something about gamergirl or whatever. That would have been possibly a good time maybe to get that person to say something while playing their games as to say "go check out PSU.com, it's a great community" doesn't have to be exactly that.

I'm excited to hear about new forum changes and stuff, but it won't just be a new forum that brings in people. My ideas may sound cheesy, but anything is worth a shot. If there are people on here that get a lot of followers while streaming games on the PS4, they should put a shout out for the PSU website, get people in here, you know?

As for the last bit, I won't name any names and while my idea wouldn't have been all that great, it was based on putting in a COD area possibly for clans and stuff like that which could potentionally bring in more people to the site to join as a member even if it's just for recruiting people in a clan, which of course kind of dominos into other people joining. Only to be told that it brings in bots, well, I understand that to a point, but it's not like they are hacking anything on here. lol Then I look back at that and it's just another sub section for the forum which there are already so many. ah well

Also like to say that I like everyone on here and while I don't know what's going on behind the scenes, I am quite sure those people working on this site are working their butts off
    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 12-14-2014 at 01:13.

Administrator
    BD, I don't feel that any of your ideas are cheesy or stupid. They're just ideas. I'll just tell you right now that I'm completely open to any ideas you have. Don't be shy and don't feel like anyone is thinking badly about your ideas. Some ideas work, some don't. But getting them out there is a good idea. I'm sorry if some of your ideas were discarded, but staff ideas have been discarded as well. The problem [the BIGGEST problem] has been the buggy forum software and the uncertainty of getting the upgrade we've all been thirsting after for ages now. If we get the go ahead for the upgrade, it will be a giant weight lifted off the community's shoulders and a fiery motivator for both staff and community alike to start putting together a battle plan. Right now we're still riding on a wave of uncertainty, but I have a good feeling about this. Stay positive and hopeful. I'm crossing my fingers.

Master Guru
    What I'm trying to figure out is how the hell all this went downhill here. Brandon, you've been here since 2004, so you may know more about all of this. I remember when I joined this website back in 2008, even before that when I just scimmed through this place for a while before joining this website back in the day. They had a shop, points system, I somehow recall a lvling system in the forums, and all this stuff. One hacker started a bunch of ruckus in here and I guess they pulled the shop due to it being a back door or something? after that, this place just started to fall, or was there more to it then that? it just seems like everything went downhill after those first few hacking attempts that happened I believe in either the end of 2008 or beginning of 2009 possibly. What was bringing in the people before is what I'm trying to figure out.

I personally think that even people that stream on the PS4 gave shout outs to the website every now and then, even showing it in a title or posting it in comments sections of streaming games it would help.

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    I think if other people have ideas, the staff should open up more into trying them rather than finding an excuse against trying it. for example, if someone comes on here wanting more people to watch game streaming, maybe psu.com could cut a deal and possibly get that person to tell people to check out the website? It may not always work out, but it's worth a shot to grow this site more.

Also, what's up with all the damn sub forums, there are sub sections for everything on here, like everything is everywhere. Probably would be a good idea to streamline the forums a bit more, it's almost too expanded at the moment in certain areas I think.
    The subforums are a mess. It's too cluttered and a lot of it isn't needed. I remember this place being really active when I joined in 2008. Hopefully we'll see more activity when this place is changed up.
    Last edited by Acid Snake; 12-14-2014 at 02:03.

Master Guru
    Doing a rough count, my GTA:V gang map caused about 17 people to sign up. However, I don't think any stayed. Almost all made 1-5 comments in that thread and that was it. It definitely brought a good number of people to the site, even before I changed the picture to include the forum name. The problem is nobody wanted to stay.

Currently that thread is a little shy of 201,000 views, with only 85 comments (for comparison, the other threads with more -and less- views have comments in the thousands). Claud3 and I were responsible for 40 of those comments. Like Ghost alluded to the comment integration with Facebook/Twitter/Google+/etc, the post number in that thread would probably be a lot greater than 85 if people could post without signing up with a unique account. There are a handful of sites I post on only because they allow me to post with my Twitter/Facebook account.
    Last edited by ttech10; 12-14-2014 at 02:13.

Thread Information