Page 1 of 6 1 ... LastLast
    Sonata Dusk

Religious Terrorist Attack in Paris, At Least 10 Dead.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe...e=news_central

Gunmen have attacked the Paris office of French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, killing 12 people and injuring seven in an apparent Islamist attack.

At least two masked attackers opened fire with assault rifles in the office and exchanged shots with police in the street outside before escaping by car.

The gunmen shouted "we have avenged the Prophet Muhammad", witnesses say.

President Francois Hollande said there was no doubt it had been a terrorist attack "of exceptional barbarity".

A major police operation is under way in the Paris area to catch the killers.

The satirical weekly has courted controversy in the past with its irreverent take on news and current affairs. It was fire-bombed in November 2011 a day after it carried a caricature of the Prophet Muhammad.

The latest tweet on Charlie Hebdo's account was a cartoon of the Islamic State militant group leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.

People had been "murdered in a cowardly manner", President Hollande told reporters at the scene. "We are threatened because we are a country of liberty," he added, appealing for national unity.

UK Prime Minister David Cameron said in a tweet: "The murders in Paris are sickening. We stand with the French people in the fight against terror and defending the freedom of the press."
    This is a sad world we live in.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    People should start realizing that shoving your religion down other people's throat (alike this) isn't going to make a single difference, besides making your own religion look worse each time.

Battlelog: MrUltraah | PSN: kipkebab92 | Steam: ultraah | Xfire: dahultrapro

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    I heard this on the news an hour ago. Absolutely sick hearing things like this. According to the BBC the gunman are being pursued across Paris.

El Presidente
    People cannot let this sort of thing stop them from publishing controversial articles, otherwise the terrorists win. Thoughts going out to the victims and their families.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    What a shame. Feel bad for these people and their families.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    As a muslim, I am ashamed of majority of muslims. How can a man believe doing the right stuff by killing anyone, is out of my reach.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

Stop preordering games! Stop buying day1 games! Stop being idiots!

7. Likes darky89 likes this post
    Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    djpenny1
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    As a muslim, I am ashamed of majority of muslims. How can a man believe doing the right stuff by killing anyone, is out of my reach.
    Muhammad is the most used name in the world maybe they are reading the wrong book and following the wrong muhammad

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Time to burn all religious texts. Yup.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

10. Likes Ezekiel likes this post
    Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Quote Originally Posted by -Dj- View Post
    Muhammad is the most used name in the world maybe they are reading the wrong book and following the wrong muhammad
    It is not the same with mine, definitely, as a muslim I already gave up. I don't see anything getting better on our side...
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

Stop preordering games! Stop buying day1 games! Stop being idiots!

Elite Sage

Yeah, it's crazy! I'm actually flying out to Paris tomorrow evening so it wasn't the type of thing which I wanted to hear about.
    These extremists, man. Absolutely mental. It's the Muslim community I feel for when you've got lunatics like this giving your way of life a bad rep.

The sooner we as a human race can ditch religion, the much better humanity will be as a whole. Just my opinion of course.

13. Likes Lebowski likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    welshboymick
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    Time to burn all religious texts. Yup.
    Yeah, burning books is always a highpoint of the civilised world.

15. Likes Christopher likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by welshboymick View Post
    Yeah, burning books is always a highpoint of the civilised world.
    Remember when high ranking religious people used to burn books about space and science? We have come full circle.

Religion provides nothing to an individual except hope. The hope that they are more right than the poor sucker preying to a different god next to him.

Religion is like 100% sugar for the soul.
    **** that ****.

No one needs or requires religion to live a happy good life, religion just helps the weak cope with how the world really is.
    Last edited by mickice; 01-08-2015 at 12:46.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

17. Likes Lebowski likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    welshboymick
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    Remember when high ranking religious people used to burn books about space and science? We have come full circle.
    Yep, and they were utterly stupid. Although over-zealous politicians burnt books as they were worried intelligent people would oust them from power. As far as I'm aware strictly religious leaders haven't delved down that rabbit hole too much.

Religion provides nothing to an individual except hope. The hope that they are more right than the poor sucker preying to a different god next to him.
    Hope's a good thing.

No one needs or requires religion to live a happy good life, religion just helps the weak cope with how the world really is.
    >Says no one needs religion
    >Then makes case for religion in next sentence

I apologise on behalf of religious people who are all apparently weak and have a coping mechanism to live in this world. Does it really bother you that other people have the temerity to believe in different things to you?

Sonata Dusk
    It's an indirect problem. It encourages faith over logic and this influences how people understand and react to things. They often rely on false promises instead of their own willpower and reasoning.

It'd be nice if they kept it purely to themselves and left their beliefs outside of their decision-making, but that simply doesn't happen.

(Back on topic)
    Muslim locations have been targeted in and around Paris after this attack.
    Last edited by Nerevar; 01-08-2015 at 15:29.

Elite Sage

That's exactly what I feared would happen. It's such a vicious, never-ending, circle.
    I was quite looking forward to going to Paris this weekend and going to the Louvre and the Catacombs but I think I'll just stay in my hotel all weekend now.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    I wouldn't even want to go to France at this time to be honest. Let's just hope that this is sorted soon.

Wibbly Wobbly
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Yeah this is terrible. Just horrible.

I cannot express words anytime something like this happens. It's scary to continue as we do, but that's what has to happen. From satire, to going to cafes, trains, planes etc.
    Be Together - Not the same.

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation

Sums up the event and any other attack in the name of Allah or in the name of religion in general.

You not only look bad, but you make your community look bad, which spawns hatred and sets the standard for racism towards your race, your beliefs, your book and your people for centuries. And eventually, someone like Hitler will come again and try to eradicate your race off the face of the $#@!ing planet like what happened to the Jews. All this, because of your absurd interpretation of your "God's wishes".

We will NEVER have peace. EVER. If you want peace, you need to annihilate the entire human off this planet. Then you will have peace.

25. Likes AsterPhoenix, Shingo likes this post
    Elite Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    I wouldn't even want to go to France at this time to be honest. Let's just hope that this is sorted soon.

I'm not too keen on the idea anymore but everything has been booked up and paid for already. I rather be there with high security than for this to have happened when there

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    This just in: Religious (muslim) leaders in Norway claim they love freedom of speech - simultaneously warns about each owns responsibility for own comments.

In my opinion they are undermining their own statements here..

Wibbly Wobbly
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by K2D View Post
    This just in: Religious (muslim) leaders in Norway claim they love freedom of speech - simultaneously warns about each owns responsibility for own comments.

In my opinion they are undermining their own statements here..
    Not really. or at least, I don't see where anything is being undermined.

There's duality in a lot of things. I don't think most things should be seen in binaries. While you can and should be able to say anything, there are probably things that you shouldn't.

Would you tell your father in law how you made love to their daughter?

No.

But you CAN and technically should be able to. Doesn't mean that you should.
    Be Together - Not the same.

29. Likes Christopher , BBK.. likes this post
    Sonata Dusk
    Update: Hostages have been taken by gunmen now.

Be safe in Paris, BBK

Quote Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
    You not only look bad, but you make your community look bad, which spawns hatred and sets the standard for racism towards your race, your beliefs, your book and your people for centuries. And eventually, someone like Hitler will come again and try to eradicate your race off the face of the $#@!ing planet like what happened to the Jews. All this, because of your absurd interpretation of your "God's wishes".

We will NEVER have peace. EVER. If you want peace, you need to annihilate the entire human off this planet. Then you will have peace.
    They don't want peace. They want a war so they can either destroy the infidels or die in the name of Allah. This is why it's important for people to not become reactionary to these terrorist attacks.

You cannot sit down at a table with these radicals and reason with them. You cannot agree to terms that benefit both parties where everyone walks away satisfied and no longer blood-thirsty. You either submit or die, or they die trying.
    Last edited by Nerevar; 01-09-2015 at 14:16.

31. Likes BBK.. likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    welshboymick
    Quote Originally Posted by Admartian View Post
    Not really. or at least, I don't see where anything is being undermined.

There's duality in a lot of things. I don't think most things should be seen in binaries. While you can and should be able to say anything, there are probably things that you shouldn't.

Would you tell your father in law how you made love to their daughter?

No.

But you CAN and technically should be able to. Doesn't mean that you should.
    I'm always amazed by how people simply remark "free speech" when someone calls them up on their comments. Free speech doesn't mean you're allowed to say whatever you want, it's more nuanced than that. Shouting "Fire!" in a crowded theatre being the most popular example where censorship is good.

Elite Sage

Thanks, Nerevar. It all seems really risky over there at the moment. Flights have been delayed by 2 hours. We're just trying to work out if we still should go.

I'm in the mindset that we can't let fear dictate what we should do but it seems very touch-and-go right now

Thread Information