Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Master Sage

Shadow of Mordor is average at best

I bought Shadow of Mordor during the Xmas sales as it received massive reception and many even said it was GOTY worthy. However the game feels like a poor mans infamous.

Maybe inFamous isn't the greatest comparison but it is one of the only other open world games I have played this gen aside from GTAV. (Which trumps all... IMO).

Anyways, I was not expecting graphics to be as good as inFamous or GTAV but I was expecting a bit less repetition in scenery. (Think an entire map made out of Elder Scrolls Oblivion caves) Granted I haven't journeyed everywhere yet but 3/4 that I had is near identical even the strongholds are very similar to one another.

The gameplay is great as far as unlocking abilities go, however the side missions are more repetitive than that of inFamous SS, and that is saying something.

The enemy level up system is great, maybe not quite deserving of all the praise it gets but a welcome addition all the same.

So to end the rant this is an alright game but so far might only be 6-7/10 worthy.
    Does it get better or is this it?

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    From playthroughs I've watched it seems to be repetitive environments accompanied with repetitive gameplay.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    It's less repetitive than Assassin's Creed though and it's Nemesis system was astounding. I know you might not have liked the Nemesis system much but the way it was handled I thought was great. The game certainly wasn't anywhere close to being as repetitive as Second Son though.

It wasn't perfect agreed and it certainly did look samey throughout the entire game, but the overall experience I felt was very very good. Was it GOTY? Not even close, Divinity: Original Sin takes my vote there by a country mile but for the PlayStation platform? I'd say Transistor was but it's right up there.

Unfortunately 2014 was the year of mostly mediocre games or games that were released broken. If DriveClub released in its current state then that would've been given my PS GOTY.

4. Likes VayMasters86 likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I'm not a big AC fan. In fact I would play Mordor before I would another AC game. Plus I like the LOTOR universe much better.

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    i would sort of agree with the op.( minus the nemesis system) it would be quite average. also has a few annoying sticky animation annoyances too...maybe thats just exclusive to me. i enjoyed it the but struggled to want to finish the game. there's only so many 'press square' for awesomeness animations i can watch. Stupidly, i bought the hype whilst i was in florida so...i regret paying full price for it, but hey..$#@! happens.

Note 4

Wibbly Wobbly
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    I can see how one would see it this way. Same can be said about most games really. But usually, there is at least 1 redeeming quality, whether it's combat, or a particular feature/system (in this case, 'Nemesis').
    Be Together - Not the same.

Community and Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    SoM was my game of the year. Just simply the best game I played. The gameplay was simply astounding and it gets even better as you progress in the game and gain some amazing abilities. And, of course, nemesis was incredible. I put over 80 hours into it and got the plat so it was well worth every penny for me. I'm ready for a sequel.

9. Likes Malt likes this post

PSN ID
    Old
    SoM was good game and agreed had some inherent flaws as well.Great animations really good storyline and cutscenes.The abilities were pretty cool.
    Yes towards the end it did get a lot repetitive with the same style button mash and Yes the Environment could have a little more variation.It was a close GOTY for me until i started LOTF ..and that one for ME trumped all this year.But we all have opinions.I for one did not like The Last of us at all and i see the entire world was all over it.
    I would give SoM a solid 7.8/10

Superior Member
    Items Final Fantasy IVAtlus
    Played a little bit of this on my friends PS4 the gameplay was fun was sort of like AC but it does get repetitive after a while.

Has its faults but enjoyed what i've played of it.
    Playing - Fire Emblem: Awakening and Persona Q 3DS
    Support Xenosaga HD by clicking the link below and sign the petition!
    https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition...lobal_Release/

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    SoM was my game of the year. Just simply the best game I played. The gameplay was simply astounding and it gets even better as you progress in the game and gain some amazing abilities. And, of course, nemesis was incredible. I put over 80 hours into it and got the plat so it was well worth every penny for me. I'm ready for a sequel.
    80 hours?! You must really liked SoM. I put 80+ hours on Black Flag, so that's a lot.

I hope I'll get to play SoM before I get overwhelmed with games.

~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    you can ACTUALLY play stealth or brute at the same time. well this game does. Maybe Splinter Cell games but they can't be done brute on harder difficulties. And the variety or enemies , forces you to approach with a strategy. I have seen a few captains that their only weakness is fire, they were the most troubling. This game brings new nemesis system to the gaming , it is revolutionary. An enemy that develops more with your inretaction with it. They gave you just 3 weapons, but they become completely diffrent weapons from start to finish, a mare bow, let you teleport, just for the engage or escape a fight, a stealth only killer dagger , let you chain one kill after another. Just after I got bored darkness of the first part of the map, second part's green is almost relaxing if you clean a few uruks.

I am not saying this game is the best game I have ever played. It's release date also helped alot to get the praises. It was so dire for Un-Destiny crowd. Also this game had no advertisement at all , so it had suprise effect on gamers.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

Stop preordering games! Stop buying day1 games! Stop being idiots!

14. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by MjW View Post
    80 hours?! You must really liked SoM. I put 80+ hours on Black Flag, so that's a lot.

I hope I'll get to play SoM before I get overwhelmed with games.
    I really did. Obviously not everyone enjoyed it as much as I did. I felt the repetitiveness of the missions was offset by all the various ways you could approach each challenge especially as you unlock new abilities. Shingo sums it up well above.

Elite Sage

I agree, it was my favourite game last year. Fighting was fluid and the graphics were top notch. For a game I only bought because i was off of work sick and had nothing else to do all day, I was very impressed.

PSU Live Streamer
    Great game, loved every minute of it.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

El Presidente
    I loved the game personally. It was very satisfying to finally take down a captain who had been nagging me for a long time. Wasn't a fan of all the collectables (these in any game to me are pointless filler but that's a different topic) or the QTE final boss fight but I enjoyed the game very much. I've only played a small portion of the first Infamous game and I didn't like it. Maybe that makes be bias since I don't like that series and have no interest in SS. *shrugs*

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Sonata Dusk
    The game was alright. I enjoyed it but it was definitely repetitive.

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    The game certainly wasn't anywhere close to being as repetitive as Second Son though.
    It all seems like find a symbol or kill an orc so far.

Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    I'm not a big AC fan. In fact I would play Mordor before I would another AC game. Plus I like the LOTOR universe much better.
    I tried both AC1 and AC2. Only lasted a few hours on each, they were not for me.

Maybe I just haven't played long enough yet then as I've unlocked a number of upgrades but nothing all that great , might be around 10 hours in.

I'm not going to stop playing yet, just was expecting a lot more less repetition. Hopefully that will ease off later on.

PSN ID
    Old
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    It all seems like find a symbol or kill an orc so far.

I tried both AC1 and AC2. Only lasted a few hours on each, they were not for me.

Maybe I just haven't played long enough yet then as I've unlocked a number of upgrades but nothing all that great , might be around 10 hours in.

I'm not going to stop playing yet, just was expecting a lot more less repetition. Hopefully that will ease off later on.
    No it will not! great cinematics and the powers are def cool but it get's old towards the end.You should have the need to finish it ,as it is a decent game,but suffers from too many of the same enemy movements press this for that type of scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by whoswho View Post
    No it will not! great cinematics and the powers are def cool but it get's old towards the end.You should have the need to finish it ,as it is a decent game,but suffers from too many of the same enemy movements press this for that type of scenario.
    I felt like the gameplay just kept advancing and improving as I played. And the nemesis system along with the interrogation aspect for finding strengths/weakness put a strategic spin on it all so that I didn't mind the repetition.

My biggest issue with the game....

Obviously not everyone will find it as enjoyable as I did. To each their own and all.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    For me, the game starts off too hard, then becomes a ton of fun, then becomes too easy. The missions were all pretty much the same, which does get boring.

The graphics were mediocre, except for the enemy character models. Those looked great.

But to me, the game certainly felt like it was built for the last gen. I would like to see another title built specifically for this gen systems.

Elite Sage

I actually felt like the game could've done with a difficulty setting. I thought it was easy all the way trough - there will still some captains that got the better of me on several occasions however - but you're right. At the end, assuming you've done most of your skill set, you're god like.

Roll on number 2

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    yeah, its good, but not great at all,

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

PSN ID
    Old
    For me, the game starts off too hard, then becomes a ton of fun, then becomes too easy. The missions were all pretty much the same, which does get boring.
    ^This

The end game bosses are just push-overs. seriously, the warchiefs were harder to beat. That was a bit of a letdown.
    ^And that

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    It hooked me long enough for me to unlock the Platinum Trophy, so I disagree completely with the OP.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Elite Member
    I thought the game was absolutely brilliant...
    Had me glued to my TV until the end, although I do agree that the end bosses could have been either harder or more numerous...

I'd like to know what some of you consider a non-repetitive game...this one actually allowed you plenty of freedom in tackling like objectives over different maps, so it never really got too repetitive for me...

Thread Information