Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Power Member
    Items User name style

MS drops price of X1; is best selling console in NOV & DEC (USA only)

The past year was a fantastic one for the video game industry – and Xbox One ended 2014 with an unprecedented holiday season, becoming the best-selling console in the U.S. in November and December.* In fact, weekly average sales during these months outpaced Xbox 360 by 50 percent at the same point in its lifecycle.

We are extremely grateful to our legion of loyal Xbox fans for their support. And to kick off 2015, we’ve got a new offer for those looking forward to picking up an Xbox One for themselves.

Building off a record-setting holiday, we are excited to announce a new promotion in which fans in the U.S. can buy an Xbox One at a special price of $349, starting tomorrow, January 16, from their preferred retailer,” said Mike Nichols, Corporate Vice President of Marketing for Xbox. “We are thankful for all the excitement for Xbox One this holiday and proud to offer more fans the amazing games lineup, Xbox Live gaming community, and continual innovation that Xbox One fans have come to enjoy.”

Thanks to a strong, diverse portfolio of titles, Xbox One sold more games throughout November and December in the U.S. than any other current-generation platform*, with Xbox-exclusive titles receiving eight Game of the Year Awards and 67 nominations from the media. Also this holiday, Xbox 360 became the best-selling seventh generation console of all time in the U.S.* On the strength of Xbox One, Xbox 360, and a strong games lineup, fans spent more time playing Xbox this holiday than ever before.

Looking ahead, we’ve only just begun to share our 2015 lineup. The fan reaction to the Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta has been amazing, with 18 million games having been played to date, while our recent announcement of Forza Motorsport 6 is further proof that Xbox One remains home to stellar exclusive games. Exciting exclusives and blockbuster titles like Rise of the Tomb Raider, Evolve, Screamride, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Ori and the Blind Forest, Battlefield Hardline, and many more surprises ensure we’ll have something for everyone in 2015.

As always, we’ll also continue to bring top-notch app experiences like the recently announced Sling TV and new apps launched on Xbox One in 2014 such as HBO GO, Showtime Anytime, Pandora, ReddX, GoPro, and Twitch broadcasting to build on the growing list of popular entertainment experiences that are open to anyone, with or without an Xbox Live Gold membership. In 2014, users logged nearly 8 billion hours globally in apps across Xbox 360 and Xbox One, a 50 percent increase from time spent in 2013.

We’ll also continue to improve the Xbox One experience through regular system updates and we’re continuing to listen to fan feedback to implement the changes fans want to see most.

“Since it launched last year, Xbox Feedback has been instrumental in helping us best determine what our fans want and expect from us, and it’s clear that the Xbox One wouldn’t be what it is today without their valued input,” said Phil Spencer, Head of Xbox. “We’re incredibly proud of the Xbox One and are fully committed to ensuring it’s the best place to play console games in 2015 and beyond.”

And the Xbox experience isn’t limited just to the console. The Xbox team is continually working hard to expand and improve the experience across myriad devices – including home gaming PCs, soon to be powered by Windows 10. Our goal is to help PC gaming flourish, and we’re excited to be helping shape the future of Windows. Phil Spencer will be sharing more on the Windows consumer experience at a Windows event on January 21, including the role that gaming will play.

2015 is going to be an amazing year for gamers. Stay tuned for more news!

* According to NPD Group
    http://news.xbox.com/2015/01/xbox-on...SOCIAL_Twitter

Have they got NPD data already? (Answer is now yes since update).
    I notice a little asterix but couldn't find and reference to it in the story.
    Also sounds like the 360 has passed the Wii in sales.

Edit: Article updated now with "* According to NPD Group"
    Last edited by mynd; 01-16-2015 at 01:17.

Sonata Dusk
    Damn, I thought that meant it would hit the 300$ mark. That's entering 'potential buy' territory.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    i think we all knew they would reverse that price hike though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Superior Member
    I think we can safely assume that this drop will be permanent.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Wibbly Wobbly
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Damn. Really want a better (read: better battery laptop) to play Football Manager - but this makes me think! Laptop/FM would still win, but it's made me think at least.

But that's a good price for sure.
    Be Together - Not the same.

6. Likes MacP likes this post
    Power Member
    Items User name style
    NPD software data...

Software

The order of the hardware in parenthesis indicates which version of the game sold best.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3, PC)
    Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360, PS3)
    Madden NFL 15 (Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3)
    Super Smash Bros. (Wii U, 3DS)
    NBA 2K15 (Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3, PC)
    Minecraft (Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4)
    Far Cry 4 (PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
    Just Dance 2015 (Wii, Xbox 360, Wii U, Xbox One, PS4, PS3)
    Destiny (Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4, PS3)
    FIFA 15 (Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3, Wii, 3DS, Vita)

The first thing that stands out in these numbers is that the Xbox One version outsold the PS4 version for every game except for Ubisoft’s Far Cry 4. That almost never happens, and it suggests that gamers are saving money on those discounted Xbox Ones (they were going for between $330 and $350 at the time) and putting that cash into software.

Beyond that, this chart holds few surprises. Call of Duty and GTA V dominate, along with Madden NFL 15 at No. 3, which is obviously getting a boost from the exciting football season.

Super Smash Bros. continues to sell well, and Minecraft — with disc versions on all of the major consoles now — is back in the top five.
    http://venturebeat.com/2015/01/15/de...lls-ps4-again/

Community and Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Huge holiday season for X1.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    I wonder if sales flatlined after price went back up.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    It will only be about 2 weeks so it will be hard to tell if the temporary jump had an effect or not.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    They did according to Amazon.com. I think it's the 3rd biggest shopping site in the states. The ps4 was outselling the xbone once the price went back up.(amazon monthly sales has correctly predicted the leader of each month since nov 13').

But yeah, I knew they would keep the price at $350. They clearly can take the hit in the pockets.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Well deserved victory.
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 01-16-2015 at 03:40.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    The title should read best selling in US. Globally is a different story. But anyway a smart move as the US is a very price sensitive market. Sony may have to announce a US pricedrop possibly at E3.

Wibbly Wobbly
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    The title should read best selling in US. Globally is a different story. But anyway a smart move as the US is a very price sensitive market. Sony may have to announce a US pricedrop possibly at E3.
    Cheers for the heads up - thread title amended.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Admartian View Post
    Cheers for the heads up - thread title amended.
    Youre welcome sir.

Forum Sage
    Who the hell was still buying destiny in NOV-DEC?

17. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Administrator and Visionary
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Who the hell was still buying destiny in NOV-DEC?
    Xmas noobs!

This was a good move by MS. They really had to do something because the gap in sales so far is pretty wide. I mean, have they even given any WW sales recently? last I remember hearing was around 11 million shipped.

Also, yeah, this is the new price point. It won't be going back up...they're just calling it a promotion to give themselves the chance to hike it back up for whatever reason.

Master Sage
    PS4 sold 1.07 million in December

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...postcount=1802

XB1 is said to have sold around 1.26 million although it is not fully confirmed.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...postcount=1817

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    They did according to Amazon.com. I think it's the 3rd biggest shopping site in the states. The ps4 was outselling the xbone once the price went back up.(amazon monthly sales has correctly predicted the leader of each month since nov 13'). But yeah, I knew they would keep the price at $350. They clearly can take the hit in the pockets.
    Yeah the x1 just cant compete with the Ps4 at the same price point so MS really had no choice but to drop the price again. Not sure what MS will do if Sony drops their price in the US too.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Well deserved victory.
    That's one way of putting it.

Bait people into thinking it's now or never if they want the console cheaper. Basically pay for some headlines - Surprise! - Would be ironic if it remained discounted outside of every major u.s.-holiday.
    Last edited by K2D; 01-16-2015 at 21:21.

Wibbly Wobbly
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Speaks volumes for the health of the console market. Especially whenever one of these consoles outsells each other, there's still a health number sold for the '2nd place'.
    Last edited by Admartian; 01-16-2015 at 22:02.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Admartian View Post
    ;Victory' or not, it's working for them. I'm sure MS will take this regardless. Speaks volumes for the health of the console market. Especially whenever one of these consoles outsells each other, there's still a health number sold for the '2nd place'.
    Yep thats true and werent consoles supposed to be dead now? lol

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Yep thats true and werent consoles supposed to be dead now? lol
    Looking at the software sales, I'm sure they made some money back they gave away on the free games.
    Sometimes you have to give to receive.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Xmas noobs! This was a good move by MS. They really had to do something because the gap in sales so far is pretty wide. I mean, have they even given any WW sales recently? last I remember hearing was around 11 million shipped. Also, yeah, this is the new price point. It won't be going back up...they're just calling it a promotion to give themselves the chance to hike it back up for whatever reason.
    Last I heard major nelson was saying they were "approaching" 10 million shipped. That was in October I think. And their silence on worldwide numbers since then tells me that they must not be doing too good globally.

Superior Member
    Looking at the software sales, I'm sure they made some money back they gave away on the free games.
    Sometimes you have to give to receive.
    Agreed. Besides, it can still be in second place and be a successful console.

If anything the One has taught MS some valuable lessons. Hopefully they learn for the next gen.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Administrator and Visionary
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Last I heard major nelson was saying they were "approaching" 10 million shipped. That was in October I think. And their silence on worldwide numbers since then tells me that they must not be doing too good globally.
    Yeah the silence of a PR department is seldom good news for the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    Agreed. Besides, it can still be in second place and be a successful console.

If anything the One has taught MS some valuable lessons. Hopefully they learn for the next gen.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    I wouldn't be surprised if XB1 is the last console from MS considering investors want the division shut down, the poor execution of the launch, sales performance of the console and the fact they had to drop the price a year after launch to remain competitive. If the console returns next gen then I dare say we'd see a turn around similar to what Sony pulled off with the PS4.

Thread Information