Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144

Why spend money on marketing Call of Duty on Xbox?

Why would it matter if it is a cod game? It wont be exclusive so why spend money promoting for your system? Microsoft has to be smarter then that

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Marketing Cod is the smartest thing to do, isn't it?
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

Stop preordering games! Stop buying day1 games! Stop being idiots!

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by thanatos144 View Post
    Why would it matter if it is a cod game? It wont be exclusive so why spend money promoting for your system? Microsoft has to be smarter then that

They all do it. By all the marketing you would think Destiny is a PS4 exclusive. They've had this call of duty exclusive marketing and early dlc for a long time. Probably the reason why COD typically does best on their system. This gen might be a little different.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    They all do it. By all the marketing you would think Destiny is a PS4 exclusive. They've had this call of duty exclusive marketing and early dlc for a long time. Probably the reason why COD typically does best on their system. This gen might be a little different.
    It is a waste of money

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    It is a waste of money
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Don't agree with you on the grounds that it is the highest selling franchise of all time. Not too mention it is a casuals staple. They see COD and Xbox, the normal person is going to get an Xbox to play it. It's not aimed at the hardcore gamer. It's aimed for the regular Joe. Not too mention PS3 couldn't touch Xbox with COD sales so it must have not been a waste of money. But agree to disagree.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    @Shingo - Wow that GAF post is very insightful. Never fully looked at the whole picture like that but hes absolutely right.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Don't agree with you on the grounds that it is the highest selling franchise of all time. Not too mention it is a casuals staple. They see COD and Xbox, the normal person is going to get an Xbox to play it. It's not aimed at the hardcore gamer. It's aimed for the regular Joe. Not too mention PS3 couldn't touch Xbox with COD sales so it must have not been a waste of money. But agree to disagree.
    I don't think a cod commercial will make someone over 12 rush out and buy a Xbox. I may be wrong but Microsoft spending Thier money on advertising a game not exclusive or theirs is a waste of money. It isnt like the developer wont advertise

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I understand MS logic in doing this but the situation this gen is much different than last gen. Ps4 is well ahead and the software attatch rate is very good unlike ps3. Not sure this tactic will be as effective this gen if things stay how they are. But both companies make DLC and marketing deals like Sony did with Destiny.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    @Shingo - Wow that GAF post is very insightful. Never fully looked at the whole picture like that but hes absolutely right.
    Its true for all, the poster acts like they have never ever heard of a company purchasing game studios before, they all do it, and every single IP we have loved and cherished in the past form all sorts of platforms has died. Its called progress. I could, but wont, point to quite a few purchased and destroyed IP's and game studios form quite lot of big publishers.

Hanging on to the past doesn't get you anywhere but where Nintendo is, and thats with a select few hardcore owners and everyone else left you long ago.

The post smacks of someone who doesn't know anything about the past history of game companies, they also don't have clue what a game costs to make if they think 50-100mill will get you a dozen AAA games.

Lest we forget...

I could go on for days.

Acquisitions happen all the time, mismanagement happens all the time, and every company is capable and does do it from time to time.
    Last edited by mynd; 01-26-2015 at 21:43.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Hanging on to the past doesn't get you anywhere but where Nintendo is, and thats with a select few hardcore owners and everyone else left you long ago.
    Which is a downright shame because I'll take Nintendo's first party games over anything offered by MS and Sony.

I've decided to see my One and pick up a WiiU. The games are downright fun. After all, that what games are supposed to be. Nintendo has it right. They don't need to worry about graphics because of the style of their games.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    Which is a downright shame because I'll take Nintendo's first party games over anything offered by MS and Sony.

I've decided to see my One and pick up a WiiU. The games are downright fun. After all, that what games are supposed to be. Nintendo has it right. They don't need to worry about graphics because of the style of their games.
    I could never buy a console with so few games. Sure they do some fun game, but then what? I dislike the stuff Japan 3rd party generally release, there are the odd exception, but not many. And western support doesn't exist.
    Last edited by mynd; 01-26-2015 at 23:08.

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    I understand the parameters are different this time around. The PS4 is the must have system right now. 360 was last gen. One major factor that is left out is how much did they pay. We'll never know. If it's not a holy $#@! ton then I could see it being worth it if it helps move systems. But we'll never know that either. Any other game, I'm not making this argument. Simply COD because it's so massive.

PSN ID
    snake2112
    Marketing is a strategic move. Sure some people view it as a waste of money but until someone knows about a product they don't buy it. Margerets jam might be in Jasper, Wy but if she wants to sell it everywhere the word needs to get out. Microsoft advertising a game even if the game is a multiplatformer but does tell us that does seem shady. But if people say wow I want that game and only see X-poop on the video ad maybe they will run out a purchase that system and not a great playstation system. hehe
    SinCerely, sAiNt sNaKe

Superior Member
    I could never buy a console with so few games. Sure they do some fun game, but then what? I dislike the stuff Japan 3rd party generally release, there are the odd exception, but not many. And western support doesn't exist.
    Sure the Xbox and PS have tons of games but I'll take quality first. I don't feel that there are enough good games on either the a One or PS4 to justify the One purchase.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Sure the Xbox and PS have tons of games but I'll take quality first. I don't feel that there are enough good games on either the a One or PS4 to justify the One purchase.

Probably depends if you can afford more than one console.
    But given
    1/ The multiplats available
    2/ The currently available big exclusives

I wouldn't go out at buy just a Wii U and nothing else.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    I keep this post in my bookmarks, it is a good summary indeed.

@mynd I was so angry to EA buying westwood, they were doing a stunning job with Red Alert series, one of my favs back in the days with Age of Empires (which MS forget about it lately, I don't get it either). And EA ruined RA series too, like all other games you typed , I know it is common, but it doesn't change the fact that big companies hurting the industry more than helping it sometimes. in the Gaf post, he pointed out the damage that is done by MS, but sure MS is not alone, but that doesn't justify their mistakes.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    I keep this post in my bookmarks, it is a good summary indeed.

@mynd I was so angry to EA buying westwood, they were doing a stunning job with Red Alert series, one of my favs back in the days with Age of Empires (which MS forget about it lately, I don't get it either). And EA ruined RA series too, like all other games you typed , I know it is common, but it doesn't change the fact that big companies hurting the industry more than helping it sometimes. in the Gaf post, he pointed out the damage that is done by MS, but sure MS is not alone, but that doesn't justify their mistakes.
    For every good there is bad, the poster doesn't really see anything good in MS's first party and that's to ignore some rather stunning games they have enabled, without MS in the market we may never have got games like Mass Effect, Gears of War, Alan Wake, Forza, Bioshock etc etc.

If all they bring is money, then that's fine, sometimes that's all you do need to bring to a talented developer.

Superior Member
    Ppeople here really need to learn Sony's history with the PS1 and what they did back then. Granted, they got their $#@! straight by the PS2 but, based on the hate directed towards MS, the ends doesn't justify the means.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    I am not saying anything like sony is an angel, this is not a comparison thread, thanatos144 stated ms wasting money on cod deals, I pointed a gaf post that tells ,this is a regular thing for MS. You were the one who stated countless times that "Xbox" section needs to be cleared from sony-fan posts yet you are the only one who is baiting them a few times in this thread.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    I am not saying anything like sony is an angel, this is not a comparison thread, thanatos144 stated ms wasting money on cod deals, I pointed a gaf post that tells ,this is a regular thing for MS. You were the one who stated countless times that "Xbox" section needs to be cleared from sony-fan posts yet you are the only one who is baiting them a few times in this thread.
    Not deals i said it is a waste of money to advertise a cod game since almost everyone knows it wont be exclusive. Let Activision spend the money on their game.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Not deals i said it is a waste of money to advertise a cod game since almost everyone knows it wont be exclusive. Let Activision spend the money on their game.
    I think most of the money goes towards the dlc timed thingy.
    The deal pretty much goes.

1/ MS will announce with fanfare
    2/ MS will get timed DLC
    3/ Activision advertise with only mention of Xbox in ads.

The ads are still made by Acitivision as far as I know.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    I think most of the money goes towards the dlc timed thingy.
    The deal pretty much goes.

1/ MS will announce with fanfare
    2/ MS will get timed DLC
    3/ Activision advertise with only mention of Xbox in ads.

The ads are still made by Acitivision as far as I know.
    That $#@! annoys me no matter who does it. No one is gonna buy a system because they can't wait a week or two. Just seems petty snd developers are eating it up making money.

Community and Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Ppeople here really need to learn Sony's history with the PS1 and what they did back then. Granted, they got their $#@! straight by the PS2 but, based on the hate directed towards MS, the ends doesn't justify the means.

Not sure what this has to do with the subject, but this isn't going to turn into Xbox vs Sony, who is more evil. Exactly the type of thing that we are trying to avoid. Thanks.

25. Likes Shingo , Ghost likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Its not a big deal to me. Advertising is just a part of business and society. If they're willing to pay to get their message to consumers, then have at it.

Thread Information