Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

If given three chances to time travel, what years and places would you choose?

I thought this might be an interesting topic for anyone fascinated with history and the idea of time travel. Let's say you were selected by a panel of scientists to travel through time and you could choose any date and location. However, you are limited to three trips and each trip would only last for 24 hours. During these trips, through the use of special glasses, everything that you see and hear is recorded. What are your destinations?

For myself:

Date: September 10, 2001
    Reason: To see the World Trade Center in person and document life in the city before the September 11 attacks.

Date: June 13, 1947 (or "early July 1947")
    Reason: Although I believe we were never visited by extraterrestrial beings, I would still like to document what really caused the Roswell UFO incident.

Date: December 31, 2999 (12:00 PM)
    Reason: Document life in the city once again; see how much has changed in the future and see the ball drop in Times Square.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 02-07-2015 at 06:03. Reason: Title.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

[OT] Dragon Quest Heroes
    Dragon Quest General Discussion Thread

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Do we have to know specific dates? I can't give specific dates

~4.5 Billion years back in time when we had no moon.

6th of Feb 4015 - Looking back 2000 years, it's interesting to see how far we've come. Would like to see again in another 2000 years.

~7 Billion years into the future - What will happen to our lovely ball of dirt when it has no sun, and floats in the void of space all by its lonesome
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    Do we have to know specific dates? I can't give specific dates

~4.5 Billion years back in time when we had no moon.

6th of Feb 4015 - Looking back 2000 years, it's interesting to see how far we've come. Would like to see again in another 2000 years.

~7 Billion years into the future - What will happen to our lovely ball of dirt when it has no sun, and floats in the void of space all by its lonesome
    If I remember correctly, wouldn't the Sun expand to swallow the inner planets by then? You might want to change the last one. Haha.

[OT] Dragon Quest Heroes

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal King Slime View Post
    If I remember correctly, wouldn't the Sun expand to swallow the inner planets by then? You might want to change the last one. Haha.
    There's also models that show our milky-way colliding with another galaxy (andromeda?) throwing everything in the outta arms (including us) into the abyssal darkness of space. Either way, it would still be interesting...you never said we could die! I assumed future magic suvivablity suit
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Super Moderator
    There's also models that show our milky-way colliding with another galaxy (andromeda?) throwing everything in the outta arms (including us) into the abyssal darkness of space. Either way, it would still be interesting...you never said we could die! I assumed future magic suvivablity suit
    Oh no, it wasn't necessarily about dying. I just thought you'd probably get bored sitting inside the Sun for a whole day. With the galaxies colliding (and assuming Earth would still be in one piece), there would be more to see. :P
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 02-06-2015 at 05:42.

[OT] Dragon Quest Heroes

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    - The Big Bang. I want to see how the Universe began.

- 100,000 years into the future from now. See what's happening. Are we all extinct? Did we start a new civilization or are we the same?

- A day before the Universe ends.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
    - The Big Bang. I want to see how the Universe began.

- 100,000 years into the future from now. See what's happening. Are we all extinct? Did we start a new civilization or are we the same?

- A day before the Universe ends.
    Silly Lebowski, there is no end to the universe. Only an end to observable light. I.E. perpetual darkness. A void filled with planet sized rocks
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Super Moderator
    Don't forget to include locations. For example, New York City is a place I've always wanted to visit and as a bonus it'd be interesting to see at two different points in time.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 02-06-2015 at 06:00.

[OT] Dragon Quest Heroes

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    To learn what next lottery numbers will be that 50 million will be mine!!!!
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

Stop preordering games! Stop buying day1 games! Stop being idiots!

10. Likes MajorMajor likes this post
    Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    To learn what next lottery numbers will be that 50 million will be mine!!!!
    You'd be better off saying something like this Saturday, lol. At least that way you know you'd hit a giant jackpot instead of getting a "small" one. Or, I suppose if we could use the internet in these trips, you could go forward like 20 years and then search to see when an even bigger one hit.

I'd like to see the day that cavemen found out how to replicate fire. I bet they were pretty stoked about that. Since you mentioned Roswell, I'll also mention Tunguska. It was likely just a comet/asteroid, but there are still some conspiracies around it, and from reports it was a pretty crazy sight. The JFK assassination would also be one, I may not be able to find the absolute truth, but at least shed light on some things.

I'd be afraid of going into the future. You could see something you wish you would never have seen or know of something happening that couldn't be prevented. I think it was the series finale of Scrubs (that other season never happened...) where the son of a patient doesn't want to see if he has Huntington's disease, because he preferred the idea of an unknown future.

General Manager
    PSN ID
    jonnyvito
    Items 3d dot game heroes3d dot game heroesUser name styleMove360 SlimVitaLightningNaughty DogPlayStation
    Roman Times, bathing in a pool of ass's milk while topless ladies pamper me by feeding my grapes.
    DUST 514 name: swillw /Corporation PSU Ghost Syndicate

13. Likes Varsh likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Early Australian colonisation, they used to ship English women over on a boat and you got to take your pick.
    Only way I'd ever get a girlfriend. xD

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

15. Likes Ezekiel likes this post
    Forum Sage

My first of the three time periods would be May 25th, 1787 to the Grand Convention at Philadelphia to witness the historical debate of what the role of government ought to be.

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    1. allianz arena. year - 1999. teams..united v bayern. you know the score.

2. 1976. year of my birth.

3. 1967. year gives it away...

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    Would be a great opportunity to see if a choice really has a different path or if the outcome really comes out to about the same in the end. It would also be a great opportunity to see if "reality" messes with people of choosing.
    PSN ID: Intense_Peanut

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    First 2 were easy to think of, the third one was a hard thought for me, I couldn't find something in the past that interests me THAT much nor could I think of something in the future that would interest me... Yet, that's the answer I came up with

1. 1947, Roswell. I still think this $#@!'s just a big cover-up, so I'd really want to find out what actually happened.
    2. Area 51. What time? I don't know. I think, whatever time you choose, you'll find some things there that would shock the actual public, I'm more than curious to find out what the hell it is.
    3. December 31st, the year 3999. Just to see how much the world has changed. It wouldn't surprise me at ALL if it would literally be like in the movie 'Wall-E'. Really wouldn't surprise me.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    1. Tomorrow's lottery number.
    2. 50 years into the future to predict calamities (karma points).
    3. 200 years into the future. Exploit science for personal gain/greater good.

I don't think traveling to far would be good for ones sanity.

Love Era NYC (60's)
    the future anywhere
    1947 Roswell Aliens $#@!

Apprentice
    Items Dragon Ball ZDr. DreBruce Lee
    I would try find Jesus. Even if you don't believe in him there are many records (Tacitus and Thallus to name a few) that say there was a man who had a following, was crucified and was called Jesus, so he might be around there somewhere. He would be an interesting man even if he wasn't the son of god, but you know I'm a Christian so I don't want to say more than that.

Additionally I would like to see ancient China and the han, min, xin and jin dynasty. I would like to see what it was like living there, I mean not many people really touch on that time period.

Also I'd like to meet Gautama Buddha and reach enlightenment with his guidance.
    *Still available for tactical hugging despite name change*

May I have your attention please?
    May I have your attention please?
    Will the real Slim Shady please stand up?
    I repeat, will the real Slim Shady please stand up?

We're gonna have a problem here...

23. Likes MajorMajor likes this post
    Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalHugging View Post
    I would try find Jesus. Even if you don't believe in him there are many records (Tacitus and Thallus to name a few) that say there was a man who had a following, was crucified and was called Jesus, so he might be around there somewhere. He would be an interesting man even if he wasn't the son of god, but you know I'm a Christian so I don't want to say more than that.

Additionally I would like to see ancient China and the han, min, xin and jin dynasty. I would like to see what it was like living there, I mean not many people really touch on that time period.

Also I'd like to meet Gautama Buddha and reach enlightenment with his guidance.
    One of my suggestions was to have numerous people choose different days after he was put into the tomb to see what really happened, but then that would kill the whole idea of having faith. It would be tempting to know for sure, though.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    M4jorCyn1k
    Really interesting idea. Will have to think about this and get back to you.

Silly Lebowski, there is no end to the universe. Only an end to observable light. I.E. perpetual darkness. A void filled with planet sized rocks
    I want to disagree with this Fiji but probably not the right place. I've read a little layman's physics and it's not the light that would end as such, it would in fact be space-time and therefore there really would be nothing.... nothing of anything of anything. Of course, it's all theory but it's good to have a discussion sometimes
    twitterings @posor

Well, going to have to go back to the Kennedy assassination with 4k cameras and tripods pointed all around, escepially at the grassy knoll, have to know for sure.

Then into the future, see if mankind sorted out over population, climate change and the rest, or is this really the last generation.

Do I go back and pop off Hitler? I guess all you really have to do is cut out the gits tongue, those speeches aren't going to work in sign language.

I do all that and then feel bad I didn't use one of my chances to see real live dinosaurs.

Administrator and Visionary
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Quote Originally Posted by Trey4Life View Post
    Well, going to have to go back to the Kennedy assassination with 4k cameras and tripods pointed all around, escepially at the grassy knoll, have to know for sure.
    This. Nov 22 1963 would be my second port of call. My first would be Jerusalem around 30AD to see this Jesus dude and see what he's all about. Then I'd go 100 years into the future to learn how our stupid civilisation destroyed itself via over reliance on technology.

Wibbly Wobbly
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Only 3 chances? What kind of f'ed up time machine is this!?

Off the top of my head:

- Year 3500 - Earth. Like OP, I want to see what life is like in the future. Assuming we are still around. I'll be consuming so much news and "history books/journals/e-magazines etc".
    - ~300AD - Roman Empire. Would love to see this bad boy at the peak of its powers.
    - Jurassic Era. Seeing Dinosaurs would be hella cool. Ride a Pterodactyl!

EDIT:

Yes! Seeing Jesus dude would be awesome!
    Be Together - Not the same.

PSN ID
    GeorgeGianno
    -In Ancient Egypt i would like to travel of course to see Pharaohs,Pyramids and the whole civilization.

-In Ancient Greek(would be shorter travel :P)that i am proud about History,culture and arts and i would like to see people with high intelligence and spirit.

- on July 20, 1969 Neil Armstrong's first moon landing,a small step from a man,a huge step from humanity

"The Fear Of Blood Tends To Create Fear For The Flesh"

"Azoth... Essence Of Life..."

Thread Information