Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
  1. #1
    General Manager
    StevenW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    PSN ID
    jonnyvito
    Posts
    5,523
    Rep Power
    68
    Items 3d dot game heroes3d dot game heroesUser name styleMove360 SlimVitaLightningNaughty DogPlayStation

    Eurogamer change the way they review games..

    Interesting move by Eurogamer, and it's a topic that we've been discussing internally.

    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-review-scores

    Personally, I like to see a review score. It gives me an instant assessment. I never look at one review, I'll look at many, watch videos and form my own opinion from the positives and negatives from everything I see and read.
    DUST 514 name: swillw /Corporation PSU Ghost Syndicate

  2. #2
    Selected Members Council
    Duffman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Chillin by the poo!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Age
    28
    Posts
    10,516
    Rep Power
    50
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    And that's as simple as the need to be, might finally stop people $#@!ing about ratings so much!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

    Twitter ID: Duffman1986

    Twitch ID: http://www.twitch.tv/duffman041986/profile

    PSU Direct Email: adam.duffield@psu.com

    My Youtube Gaming Channel - Now with commentary: Duffman Gaming


  3. #3
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Varsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    W-s-M
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Age
    33
    Posts
    6,724
    Rep Power
    95
    Items User name style
    I have been an advocate of removing review scores for years but the media industry has been too obstinate and think of only their bottom line instead of making things better for the consumer and industry as a whole. There have been some sites in the past that had a simple system in place but they died off very quickly because of Google rankings. Valve I felt were the ones to make this system popular by having users simply have a "not recommend" and a "recommend" button, this aggregates the scoring rather nicely but it doesn't allow users to change their minds if the game happens to be vastly different to what it used to be - I feel this is necessary. Ever since Valve did this I have notice a few of the bigger reviewer sites change much like Eurogamer is doing now and it's great to see.

    This type of review system is still very much in its infancy though it can certainly be tweaked in many ways and I will think it will be many years until we see a version becoming the norm.

    If I was to make a system similar to this it would be as follows:
    • +2 - Must purchase
    • +1 - Recommended
    • 0 - Average/Undecided
    • -1 - Issues/bugs (wait it out)
    • -2 - Avoid

    In a way it's a 1 to 5 scale however you can instantly tell where it fits if it has a negative average. Having an average of -0.5 for instance could mean that it has bugs that is seriously affecting a game that otherwise would be very good. For instance with SimCity at launch I would have given the game -1, a few months later down the line I would've given it 0, now the game is just about a +1. The more users that add to the aggregate then the more accurate the recommendation would be. What the user would see on their end is something very simple, a bar that changes in colour from red to yellow to green, the brighter the red or green then the more influential it will be.

  4. Likes MajorMajor, Duffman likes this post
  5. #4
    Counting Mod
    PS4freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Age
    27
    Posts
    14,471
    Rep Power
    154
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    I'm not a fan of this. When I read a review I skim it for keys that in looking for. Game length, game play, etc. But I don't want to know the story most of the time. Just a brief snippet of what it's about. I like to learn everything as I go. Take away review scores takes that away but you can't really skim to see how the reviewer feels. Also like Dane said in our discussions, no more meta scores which would hit the site hard. I'm just not a fan of this. Also I've got a very short attention span. Reading through a large review is taxing on my concentration. Just my side.


  6. #5
    Community and Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    PSN ID
    Cand3Js
    Age
    44
    Posts
    9,381
    Rep Power
    120
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    We should definitely look into copying the Steam system of adding a recommended/not recommended button to game reviews so user's can express their opinion. And I'm in favor of a simpler system of rating games like what Aaron suggests as well.








  7. #6
    Administrator
    Fijiandoce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pacific Isles of Doceness
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Posts
    5,063
    Rep Power
    98
    I like this.

    Giving COD 9/10 release after release was just laughable. I always found it hilarious how other games could be branded a COD clone, yet COD itself would do little to improve and ride the wave for so long.......Don't mean for this digression to get off topic or anything :/

    Hopefully this becomes a thing. Striving for excellence should be encourage. NOT checking a check box of features.....
    Sig courtesy of the_jim


  8. Likes MajorMajor likes this post
  9. #7
    Counting Mod
    PS4freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Age
    27
    Posts
    14,471
    Rep Power
    154
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    I like this.

    Giving COD 9/10 release after release was just laughable. I always found it hilarious how other games could be branded a COD clone, yet COD itself would do little to improve and ride the wave for so long.......Don't mean for this digression to get off topic or anything :/

    Hopefully this becomes a thing. Striving for excellence should be encourage. NOT checking a check box of features.....
    The scores aren't the problems it's the reviewer/company that is. The integrity of the gaming media has been in question lately and those scores do look fishy but who knows. I think dropping the score will only make more confusion. What about a game where a reviewer gives a completely mixed review where, it could be a 5/10-7/10. That's where I think scores help very settle any confusion. Hell I'm honestly a fan of the thumbs up or thumbs down system. But I do not like the idea of dropping the scores all together.

    Also serious question, why does everyone think that the gaming world is above the scoring system when almost any industry whether it be Vehicles, movies, electronics, etc. For the most part go by a rating system and no one complains. But the video game world pushes to go against it. I simply don't get it.


  10. #8
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Varsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    W-s-M
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Age
    33
    Posts
    6,724
    Rep Power
    95
    Items User name style
    It's down to confusion in the scoring system. To me a game that scores a 5/10 is a good game if it's a genre that I would be interested in, but to someone else that could mean that it's garbage. Over the years unless a game scores at least an 8/10 it'll be a monumental failure so the media industry has gone "ok we better raise our scores so it looks more in line with what everyone thinks". The whole system is completely skewed and gaming itself has an audience that is far and beyond even the movie industry now.

    Electronics are starting to go through the same dilemma too and I think there is only one thing that is common between them all - diversity within a single product and the rate of products being released to market.

    Electronics are becoming like software where the user can now freely change the firmware to upgrade your electronics to do more things, software has become like this frequently in the last 20 odd years (more so now with consoles included).

  11. #9
    The Dawkness!
    Naxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    UK
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Age
    24
    Posts
    9,975
    Rep Power
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    I'm not a fan of this. When I read a review I skim it for keys that in looking for. Game length, game play, etc. But I don't want to know the story most of the time. Just a brief snippet of what it's about. I like to learn everything as I go. Take away review scores takes that away but you can't really skim to see how the reviewer feels. Also like Dane said in our discussions, no more meta scores which would hit the site hard. I'm just not a fan of this. Also I've got a very short attention span. Reading through a large review is taxing on my concentration. Just my side.
    They still have a summarising sentence and a recommendation system. Maybe skim the article before.

    My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

  12. #10
    Community and Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    PSN ID
    Cand3Js
    Age
    44
    Posts
    9,381
    Rep Power
    120
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    The scores aren't the problems it's the reviewer/company that is. The integrity of the gaming media has been in question lately and those scores do look fishy but who knows. I think dropping the score will only make more confusion. What about a game where a reviewer gives a completely mixed review where, it could be a 5/10-7/10. That's where I think scores help very settle any confusion. Hell I'm honestly a fan of the thumbs up or thumbs down system. But I do not like the idea of dropping the scores all together.

    Also serious question, why does everyone think that the gaming world is above the scoring system when almost any industry whether it be Vehicles, movies, electronics, etc. For the most part go by a rating system and no one complains. But the video game world pushes to go against it. I simply don't get it.
    There is so much suspicion of bias in the gaming industry. Look at gamespot and their TLOU review (8.5). Or even PSU giving Infamous SS a perfect 10. My gosh....that article blew up with comments on the home page with people criticizing the review. Why? Cuz it was higher than the vast majority of scores on metacritic. And we are a PlayStation site, so we must be biased, right? I guarantee that the majority of the folks complaining didn't even read the review and hadn't played the game. They looked right at the score and jumped to conclusions about the author. I reviewed CounterSpy a score of 9.5. I honestly loved that game. An editor from another site actually criticized me cuz the score was so much higher than others on metacritic. Ok.....well, I don't look at metacritic and adjust my scores to fit in with others. I gave my honest opinion. But no one corrected my actual review and showed me where I was incorrect. They just looked at the score itself.

    So I guess the problem with scores, imo, isn't that the games industry is "above" review scores, but that the readers are not necessarily looking at the score to be informed. It is the fanboy effect and I don't know of another industry in the world where passions are fueled so much by a simple number associated with the product itself.








  13. #11
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Varsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    W-s-M
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Age
    33
    Posts
    6,724
    Rep Power
    95
    Items User name style
    Which is exactly why scores have to go and a simple recommendation system should be put in place instead, that way reviewers aren't berated over a score that has meaning to only the person that reviewed it in question.

  14. #12
    Counting Mod
    PS4freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Age
    27
    Posts
    14,471
    Rep Power
    154
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    Which is exactly why scores have to go and a simple recommendation system should be put in place instead, that way reviewers aren't berated over a score that has meaning to only the person that reviewed it in question.
    Yeah I have no problem with a simple yes or no system. Like kotaku I.believe has buy or don't buy. The problem I do have is the fact that the scoring system helps give a medium to tell how good a game is. If simply everyone says buy, you have to read all the articles to see how well it is received. Also a simple yes or no system, doesn't help with borderline games. You know a middle of the fence where say yes I enjoyed it but I don't see many enjoying. Maybe I'm just too set in my ways but I think if everyone dropped review scores it would make everything that much more confusing to get an idea of just how good it is.

    As for the biased, if it's there, yes it will be less but there isn't anything stopping faked enthusiasm. Just like the COD reviews you read. They say things like big step forward, best the franchise has to offer etc. That's without a review score. If you think COD is over milked you are going to start telling foul. In a nut shell, what I'm trying to say is that removing the scoring on a review is like putting a bandaid on an open wound. It won't completely solve the problem.
    Last edited by PS4freak; 02-10-2015 at 18:31.


  15. #13
    Ultimate Veteran
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    24,166
    Rep Power
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Interesting move by Eurogamer, and it's a topic that we've been discussing internally. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-review-scores Personally, I like to see a review score. It gives me an instant assessment. I never look at one review, I'll look at many, watch videos and form my own opinion from the positives and negatives from everything I see and read.
    I'm the same way because at the end of the day reviews are just glorified opinions.

  16. #14
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Varsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    W-s-M
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Age
    33
    Posts
    6,724
    Rep Power
    95
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    Yeah I have no problem with a simple yes or no system. Like kotaku I.believe has buy or don't buy. The problem I do have is the fact that the scoring system helps give a medium to tell how good a game is. If simply everyone says buy, you have to read all the articles to see how well it is received. Also a simple yes or no system, doesn't help with borderline games. You know a middle of the fence where say yes I enjoyed it but I don't see many enjoying. Maybe I'm just too set in my ways but I think if everyone dropped review scores it would make everything that much more confusing to get an idea of just how good it is.
    It's the reason why I have an "undecided/average" option in my system as that's one area that I felt was lacking. If you dropped the uppermost and lowermost tier of my system then it'll be like how you want it.

  17. #15
    I prefer no review score. I'd rather just listen to or read a review discussing positives and negatives. A good move in my opinion, might read there reviews more often.

  18. #16
    Counting Mod
    PS4freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Age
    27
    Posts
    14,471
    Rep Power
    154
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    I think more or less it will be something that won't work for everyone. Eurogamer was known for having eyebrow raising review scores.


  19. #17
    PSU Trophy Manager
    Fenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,667
    Rep Power
    96
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    I just need a "like" and "dislike" column. Though I find many games in the 6-8 range i prefer over those in the 9-10 range. So current system is flawed beyond belief.

    Current system, based on peoples reaction to scores, seems to be:
    10 = Must Buy
    9 = Recommended
    8 = Average
    Anything below is "bad" and not worth buying

    Sig&Av by Kuro

    Preorders:
    Batman:ArkhamKnightUncharted4

    PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

  20. #18
    Master Guru
    Bigdoggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    34
    Posts
    7,003
    Rep Power
    78
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    You know what would be even better. If you did a written review with a user scoring system below with their own scoring system of either 1 out of 5 per user vote so you can see what those other users voted for with a comment section below their own score. That way it isn't the reviewer rating it, but more so the users. Then again this could be abused also, but just throwing it out there. The 1 out of 10 system has always been a crappy scoring system, even with movies using that system, it's pure crap. Honestly, it's to many levels for a score, bring it down to 1 out of 5 or just a simple thumbs up and down approach would most likely make it much more simple and less confusing.

    OR you could do the thumbs up, down, and sideways approach.

    Thumbs up (Green) = Good

    thumbs sideways (Yellow)= Average

    Thumbs down (Red)= Poor
    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 02-10-2015 at 22:30.
    PSN ID: Intense_Peanut

  21. #19
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Varsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    W-s-M
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Age
    33
    Posts
    6,724
    Rep Power
    95
    Items User name style
    That's what I've been saying Bigdoggy.

    Well except for the user comments, though they do that on Steam which adds a lot to their reasoning.

    Anyway I've just been watching the Co-optional podcast with Totalbiscuit, Dodger, JessieCox, and a guest speaker from Gamespot and they've funnily enough been talking about this entire issue with review scores and they seem to be re-iterating a lot of mine and other people's points on the issues on why it should be abolished. Whe TB puts the broadcast up on YouTube in a couple days time I'll post it here because it will be something you will all want to here as it's a great discussion.

  22. #20
    Elite Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bristol
    PSN ID
    Lymphatik
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,299
    Rep Power
    99
    Yeah I was glad that they ditched the numerical score and opted for a rating instead. Though it means the "8/10 - Better than Halo" joke doesn't work any more

    Too many people claim use the scales wrong so i'm glad to see the back of it. If people actually used a 1-10 scale properly it wouldn't have been too bad but now it seems when people use the 1-10 scale they really mean to be using a 7-10 scale with anything less than a 7 being rated as poor

    I like the Thumbs idea above.

  23. #21
    Master Guru
    Bigdoggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    34
    Posts
    7,003
    Rep Power
    78
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    I can't stress enough how much I hate the 1 out of 10 scoring, I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate it. like an 8 out of 10, what does that really mean with a scale of 1 out of 10, it makes no sense. There is just to much room in that scoring system and it's a scoring system that never gets straight to the point. It's quite a vague system.
    PSN ID: Intense_Peanut

  24. #22
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Varsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    W-s-M
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Age
    33
    Posts
    6,724
    Rep Power
    95
    Items User name style
    An 8/10 for me means a fantastic game, to most people nowadays it means that it's average. What sad times these are.

  25. Likes Admartian , MajorMajor likes this post
  26. #23
    Community and Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    PSN ID
    Cand3Js
    Age
    44
    Posts
    9,381
    Rep Power
    120
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    I can't stress enough how much I hate the 1 out of 10 scoring, I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate it. like an 8 out of 10, what does that really mean with a scale of 1 out of 10, it makes no sense. There is just to much room in that scoring system and it's a scoring system that never gets straight to the point. It's quite a vague system.
    I agree. I much prefer a 5 point scale. Tell me the difference between a game rated 2 and 3. You can't differentiate between that level of suckiness. Vast majority of games are rated 5 or higher anyway so why do we have this scale where most of it is unused?








  27. Likes Bigdoggy likes this post
  28. #24
    Wibbly Wobbly
    Admartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Age
    28
    Posts
    13,316
    Rep Power
    137
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    An 8/10 for me means a fantastic game, to most people nowadays it means that it's average. What sad times these are.
    Same here. PRetty much why I don't like any scoring system that equates to a number average (even letter grades have a 100 point scale equivalent).

    BEcayse no matter hwo honest you try to score and try not to adhere to the "7 is average" crowd (e.g. stick to a true '5 is average' scale), it will always skew to the former.


    A qualitative, summary-based 'judgement' is more fitting for games anyway. Even things like technical elements can be described adequately with the appropriate section in the review. Much liek they do in Engadget/etc gadget reviews (they have a specs section, look and feel etc - except without their 5 star verdict).
    Be Together - Not the same.



  29. #25
    Master Guru
    Bigdoggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    34
    Posts
    7,003
    Rep Power
    78
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    I agree. I much prefer a 5 point scale. Tell me the difference between a game rated 2 and 3. You can't differentiate between that level of suckiness. Vast majority of games are rated 5 or higher anyway so why do we have this scale where most of it is unused?
    Exactly.

    OH OH OH, BETTER YET, here is another idea for a scoring system. You give this game a big stamp of approval [PASS] or [FAIL] or [MUST GET] or something like that..

    So after a written review, on the bottom a big stamp of FAIL or APPROVED or something like that...you know, have some fun with it.




    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 02-11-2015 at 22:55.
    PSN ID: Intense_Peanut

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.