Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    General Manager
    PSN ID
    jonnyvito
    Items 3d dot game heroes3d dot game heroesUser name styleMove360 SlimVitaLightningNaughty DogPlayStation

A new review scoring system - Help!

Neil has put together some ideas..

http://www.psu.com/feature/25829/Hel...t-alternatives

In all seriousness though, we would like to hear your thoughts. We will likely do a proper poll shortly too.
    DUST 514 name: swillw /Corporation PSU Ghost Syndicate

Selected Members Council
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    I would prefer a type of system like good, bad and ugly or Buy, Rent or Avoid something along those lines but I couldn't see that type of system listed unless I am missing something??

All good suggestions but that would be my choice personally!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Twitch ID: http://www.twitch.tv/duffman041986/profile

My Youtube Gaming Channel - Now with commentary: Duffman Gaming

3. Likes MajorMajor likes this post
    Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    djpenny1
    i buy games on gameplay not words or a number

5. Likes Shingo likes this post
    Sonata Dusk
    I prefer this sort of format:

[Main article reviewing and discussing game in detail;]

[Summary of article] "The game is extraordinarily beautiful and smooth, but the story and short campaign left us wanting more. The game ended fasr too quickly. It also does very little that's new, and is mostly more of the same. Fans of the series will be content but newcomers may want to wait for a bargain price."

Verdict: Potential Buy - Excellent Rent

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    M4jorCyn1k
    Honestly, almost all of those sound awful. I read a better idea in a thread just last night. Along the lines of rating in 5 categories like Really good, good, average, poor and avoid. Something like that anyway. Seriously though don't do Pies, Faces, Popularity or Working. The only one I thought remotely reasonable was the one based on other games. Quite unique sounding and If you get that done right I imagine it could be Ok but the others, with all due respect, sound absolutely ridiculous. I wouldn't want to take any review site using those seriously at all. That's my opinion anyway

edit: Right, found it. Varsh has a far better idea than those 5 there and also what Duffman says above is kinda along the same lines. This is what Varsh says in a recent thread:

If I was to make a system similar to this it would be as follows:
    +2 - Must purchase
    +1 - Recommended
    0 - Average/Undecided
    -1 - Issues/bugs (wait it out)
    -2 - Avoid

I would go for the option of not using the numbers but the idea of scale used here is as simplistic as it should be broken down. Anymore doesn't really do the review justice. The words add definition to this scale and place it elsehwere within that but really that's far better than a happy face or steak and ale pie. That said I do like steak and ale pies.

Reviews are often only of interest to me If i'm on the fence about a game. I can normally tell If i'm going to like a game before reading all that claptrap anyway and don't ever really find reviews much use tbh.

Of course I'm an opinionated so and so and that's just all IMO

edit: Sorry Neil, didn't mean to come across too hard on your efforts. I'm sure it's damn hard to come up with alternative review ideas.

edit: Satire. what a buffoon I can be. Still, I'm laughing in hindsight.
    Last edited by MajorMajor; 02-12-2015 at 13:40.
    twitterings @posor

8. Likes StevenW , John Willaford likes this post
    Wibbly Wobbly
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    I'd LOVE a system where the review ends with just a slight, (non scoring, non-obtrusive summary like:

"Who Should play/buy this?"

"Those who enjoyed the previous series. Fans of the genre. People who like an in-depth dialogue system. People that don't mind a bit of bugs."

"Who should avoid this?"

"If you MUST HAVE 60fps. Don't have the time to sink in hours and hours into a game - takes around 10 hours for the game to really get going."

"Technical"

• ​+Sound is very well done.
    • +No graphical pop-in
    • -Some framerate issues.
    • -A few hitches/bugs with some towns/vendors.

That's a perfect system for me.

Anything with "good" or scores etc can be a bit too subjective - and rather dismissive. I prefer a mainly qualitative and non-defining/limiting round-up. I feel a score or 'Good', 'Bad' misses too many things.

Whereas a system like that will give someone an idea of what to look out for - obviously, this will be supported by a well written review, that doesn't have to justify the quality of the words/content of the review - with some score.

This also gives both sides of pro/against the game. Not just based on a quantified system where people can scroll down to the end (or stare at the top) and make a pre-judement. This way, people who scroll down, will actually have to read the impressions/review in depth and make a judgment themselves. And people will more likely play the game based on curiosity.

How often have we read reviews, for the score not to match or make sense within the words?

TL;DR: Admartian doesn't like scores or systems based on 'absolutes'.
    Last edited by Admartian; 02-11-2015 at 19:53.
    Be Together - Not the same.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    M4jorCyn1k
    Actually Admartian I think that's a a great idea. Like your system. I understand what you mean about Absolutes. Good idea.
    twitterings @posor

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Do what eurogamer have done!

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Admartian View Post
    I'd LOVE a system where the review ends with just a slight, (non scoring, non-obtrusive summary. [/SIZE][/SIZE][/B]
    That's a must to accompany the system I added, the numbers aren't shown on mine, that's just how the metrics are measured so that the recommendation image is automatically updated depending on the user's feedback average. Having a summary at the bottom like yours is essential for those that don't want to read the full review.

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Neil has put together some ideas..

http://www.psu.com/feature/25829/Hel...t-alternatives

In all seriousness though, we would like to hear your thoughts. We will likely do a proper poll shortly too.
    I posted this in another topic, but I'll post it again. Have fun with a review system, like putting FAIL, PASS/APPROVED, or TOP QUALITY after the written reviews. Something like this.

PSN ID: Intense_Peanut

14. Likes StevenW , MajorMajor, K2D likes this post
    Wibbly Wobbly
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    I posted this in another topic, but I'll post it again. Have fun with a review system, like putting FAIL, PASS/APPROVED, or TOP QUALITY after the written reviews. Something like this.

Still - what is it failing/passing on? Gameplay? People obviously have different thresholds for certain things - so a fail isn't for everyone. Things like this, imo, are just saying the same things as review scores (a 7 and above could be considered a 'Pass' in this system, and a 'FAIL' is everything below).

If you're judging this on technicality (graphics, sounds, glitches etc) then these can be considered elsewhere - like in the way I said.

If we eliminate 'absolute' definitions like these altogether, I reckon we'd all be better off. No more metacritic-score wars, more qualitative assessments and impressions of games, and people would probably be more keen to try things out or at least, be given a good impression of games.

16. Likes MajorMajor likes this post
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Seal of approval or thumbs up/down. Besides that I don't care. Wouldn't mind a thread in the forums first thing the review goes up.

Edit : I don't have anything against a point system per se. I'd just like to do away with reviews aggregators as they are today.
    Last edited by K2D; 02-12-2015 at 10:31.

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    The thing I've always enjoyed about rating systems is you can separate what each aspect of the game is. Not to just have a whole article that talks about the game as a whole. What is so wrong about wrapping up what has been said. I know I sound stubborn but what exactly is the harm. Everyone that is in favor acts like this absolutely needs to be done. What will it change? The reviews will still be there. Why take away for the sake of doing away. What about the people that enjoy the rating system? Just cut out the rating system for the sake of doing so to take away a perceived biased or you feel the system is wrong. Why not just go about reading the reviews and not worry about the score. I'm just not understanding all the push this when the quality of reviews likely won't change much except for a few extra words.

I am one of those people that likes the ratings because of the fact that for games that I'm interested in, I'm not ruined with info about the game if I don't want it. I can look at the game and say hey that got good ratings, cool something to look forward to. Or if it got mediocre reviews it's like a challenge for me to find the great spots of the game and not harp on the negatives. I get that everyone has their opinions and to my surprise, mine is in the minority on here but I don't get a huge push to do away with something that can be easily overlooked. Not to mention, corporations probably love when their games get top scores. Taking that away could lose favor for smaller sites to get review copies if they know there isn't much incentive to a good review.

Sorry if I sound bitter but this sudden uproar for changing/doing away with the common rating system is so high when it's really imo unnecessary has me a little annoyed.

Wibbly Wobbly
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    The thing I've always enjoyed about rating systems is you can separate what each aspect of the game is. Not to just have a whole article that talks about the game as a whole. What is so wrong about wrapping up what has been said. I know I sound stubborn but what exactly is the harm. Everyone that is in favor acts like this absolutely needs to be done. What will it change? The reviews will still be there. Why take away for the sake of doing away. What about the people that enjoy the rating system? Just cut out the rating system for the sake of doing so to take away a perceived biased or you feel the system is wrong. Why not just go about reading the reviews and not worry about the score. I'm just not understanding all the push this when the quality of reviews likely won't change much except for a few extra words.

I am one of those people that likes the ratings because of the fact that for games that I'm interested in, I'm not ruined with info about the game if I don't want it. I can look at the game and say hey that got good ratings, cool something to look forward to. Or if it got mediocre reviews it's like a challenge for me to find the great spots of the game and not harp on the negatives. I get that everyone has their opinions and to my surprise, mine is in the minority on here but I don't get a huge push to do away with something that can be easily overlooked. Not to mention, corporations probably love when their games get top scores. Taking that away could lose favor for smaller sites to get review copies if they know there isn't much incentive to a good review.

Sorry if I sound bitter but this sudden uproar for changing/doing away with the common rating system is so high when it's really imo unnecessary has me a little annoyed.
    You can always read the bottom summary (which isn't spoilery) that says who it might cater to and who it might put off. See post above.

I dunno, I think having a number system always seems like "I enjoyed/didn't enjoy the game but by how much?" And while pretty much everything gaming is subjective, assigning ONE person's experience with a number or a thumbs up or whatever, is a little too much so.

I'd prefer to scroll down (if I were inclined not to read the whole review) and see if it's for me - based on the summary bit I've come up with. Or maybe it doesn't even have to be as presumptuous as "Who it might/might not cater to" - maybe it could be "What this game has/does do" or "What it isn't/doesn't do". That way we don't have to faff about arbitrary scores and blindly dismiss/buy into something based on that.

If we want to find out something is broken, they can be listed accordingly at the end.

Plus, reviews shouldn't be spoilery anyway - I think if you're spoiling a game within a review, you're writing them wrong.
    Last edited by Admartian; 02-12-2015 at 02:41.

Dedicated Member
    I'm going to post this without reading, then read and post anew, so please don't be dinging me on multiple posts.
    I'd say go with a COLOR system!!

Platinum
    Gold
    Silver
    Bronze
    Brass
    Pyrite (Fools Gold).

Platinum has few equal it's lustre
    Gold is the standard for excellence
    Silver is above average
    Bronze is average and worth playing, Rent/Buy
    Brass is worth playing but having some quirks that might drag the game down. Might be Rental only
    Pyrite is just worthless, it may look good or bad, but it's not worth your time, it 's Superman 64 and ET's love child.
    Last edited by John Willaford; 02-12-2015 at 06:57. Reason: not merging
    You can lead a Donkey to water, but you can't make him drink.

21. Likes darky89 likes this post
    Selected Members Council
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    I have to agree, Admartian has had the best idea so far, no scores for people to criticize just why you should play and why you should avoid, simples!!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Twitch ID: http://www.twitch.tv/duffman041986/profile

My Youtube Gaming Channel - Now with commentary: Duffman Gaming

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    How about 1-5; 1 being 'crap' and 3 being 'Liverpool'.

Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

24. Likes 33x , darky89 , Admartian , welshboymick likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
    How about 1-5; 1 being 'crap' and 3 being 'Liverpool'.
    So crap all round then?
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

26. Likes darky89 , Shingo likes this post
    PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    That's given me an idea! From best to worst:
    • 5 - Mayfair
    • 4 - Kensington
    • 3 - Greenwich
    • 2 - East End
    • 1 - Westminster

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    You can always read the bottom summary (which isn't spoilery) that says who it might cater to and who it might put off. See post above.

I dunno, I think having a number system always seems like "I enjoyed/didn't enjoy the game but by how much?" And while pretty much everything gaming is subjective, assigning ONE person's experience with a number or a thumbs up or whatever, is a little too much so.

I'd prefer to scroll down (if I were inclined not to read the whole review) and see if it's for me - based on the summary bit I've come up with. Or maybe it doesn't even have to be as presumptuous as "Who it might/might not cater to" - maybe it could be "What this game has/does do" or "What it isn't/doesn't do". That way we don't have to faff about arbitrary scores and blindly dismiss/buy into something based on that.

If we want to find out something is broken, they can be listed accordingly at the end.

Plus, reviews shouldn't be spoilery anyway - I think if you're spoiling a game within a review, you're writing them wrong.
    Not saying spoiling the game I'm talking about really cool features that really weren't talked about pre release and the reviewer talks about how cool it is to use said gun, power, ability,etc. Also just the backstory is something that I like to have a mystery. That's why I like the rating system. It places a numerical value on what areas the game does well. If the numbers don't add up with the review then that's on the reviewer. If they do it consistently, ignore their ratings. I'm not against change. I'm just against this change. But as you said placing a numerical is a bit much but taking someone's word as the same is no different. Either way you're just taking someone's word that a game is good or bad.

I understand from a writer's perspective it could be nice because of the fact that you know if someone looks at your review they didn't just look at it for the score. But from a gamer standpoint I don't see the benefit. On a nutshell level why do you want to see the standard 1-5 or 1-10 rating system change and what does that change benefit. Sorry if I missed it earlier but I just haven't seen anything but changing the perception of reviews.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    If you think about it the scale is actually 1-5 or 1-3, the only difference is that for the badges they're calculated where 0 is the middle ground, so it would be -2 to +2 or -1 to +1. As the scores are hidden from the viewer then whatever they vote on in terms of score they will not know, all they have in terms of choice is what they really think about the game, you've basically swapping the numbers out for a description.

Master Sage
    I'd LOVE a system where the review ends with just a slight, (non scoring, non-obtrusive summary like:

*Snip
    I agree, but even those dot points are too high level IMO. I want to hear exactly what the problems/perks are not just that they have them.

eg. Some framerate issues vs Some framerate issues when 10+ enemies are onscreen at once.
    The former makes the game sound like a broken mess but the latter shows it only occurs at certain times.

Could even make those headers standard across the board.

Graphics - Decent jump from previous iteration but not matching X (graphic comparisons are a must IMO)
    Sound - Excellent SFX however the human voices all sound similar. (Oblivion cough cough)
    Framerate - Smooth 30's, drops in large battles.
    Repetitiveness - Too many fetch quests
    Did I miss any???

Finally when you do get to the end of it people want to hear the overall impression so how bout something more to the point as numbers are misleading -

Would play again;
    Worth playing but only once;
    Struggled to complete it;
    Never again.

Multiplayer should be scored separately.

I don't play that many multiplayer games but for me the following are negatives so should probably get a mention if included.

Health Regen;
    Match making;
    Weapon loadouts.

Sandy Claws
    I'm with PS4Freak here.

I find a 5 or 10 point scale extremely helpful and a naturally intuitive way of comparing games. I can understand that it becomes extremely confusing when certain reviewers give scores like 8.7 (where technically they are working on a 100 point scale which is ridiculously accurate). But with that said I think 10 point scales are accurate enough to give everyone reading a good idea of what the reviewer thought overall of the title. If you are cautious about using 10 points, make it even more broad and use 5.

There are some great ideas in this thread like Admartians, but that doesn't mean you can't assign a numerical value to a game as well in addition to the aforementioned changes.

It all comes down to the skill of the reviewer really. Getting rid of a numerical system and replacing it with 5 words (essentially the exact same thing), or a buy, rent, pass system, or something similar doesn't make the content of the review any higher in quality. Reviews will always be subjective, that's what a review is. A good practice would be to be upfront with your tastes, preferences and background in games when giving a review to give prospective buyers perspective.

Tl;dr. Stick with a numerical system. Work on quality of review.

32. Likes PS4freak , darky89 likes this post
    Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopey. View Post
    If you are cautious about using 10 points, make it even more broad and use 5.
    That's the problem with it though, some use the entire 1-10 and others do not.
    These days a 7/10 is treated as though it were a 3 or 4/10.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopey. View Post
    It all comes down to the skill of the reviewer really. Getting rid of a numerical system and replacing it with 5 words (essentially the exact same thing), or a buy, rent, pass system, or something similar doesn't make the content of the review any higher in quality. Reviews will always be subjective, that's what a review is. A good practice would be to be upfront with your tastes, preferences and background in games when giving a review to give prospective buyers perspective.
    You will always require a reviewer, that's a given, however using words instead of numbers actually means something. The number system you may as well throw out of the window because everyone treats numbers differently to the next person. Let me ask you something, what would most people think of 5/10? I bet you most people would say "avoid", now let's add the "average" sticker on there, everyone would think that it's a decent game worth looking into if its the kind of genre they will like.

Do you see the difference that makes? It's a huge deal and can make the points system seem contrived.

35. Likes Admartian likes this post

Thread Information