Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder

My "New 3DS XL" Review

So far I am enjoying my New 3DS XL.

The new 3D face tracking has allowed me to actually enjoy the 3D on my device. I absolutely hated the 3D on the original 3DS devices. I would get sick because the screen would get all weird when I moved my head.
    Nintendo added a sensor that tracks your face and adjusts the 3D so that the games stay in 3D while you move your head. And it works great.

Nintendo added the analog nub which acts as a 2nd analog stick. Surprisingly this works quite well. I tested it with Monster Hunter 4 and I had no issues moving the camera around.

The OS is also much faster now. Everything happens as it should, quickly without the slight freezes.

I am not a huge fan of needing to unscrew the back of the device to access the memory card. If you put a large enough card in though, you should never have to do this again.

I do wish Nintendo changed the resolution of the screens. They appear to be the same resolution as the previous 3DS XL, which means you can see the pixels. That is a corner Nintendo should never have cut.

Overall I feel the New 3DS XL is a nice device, and the price is outstanding for what you get. The New 3DS also sports a faster cpu and better gpu, so future games will look and play better. I also like how they added 2 more buttons shoulder buttons.

Nintendo did a pretty nice job upgrading the 3DS. Screen resolution being my main gripe though.

Pros:
    - 2 more shoulder buttons
    - 2nd analog nub
    - Face tracking 3D
    - Faster cpu/gpu
    - Ability to easily replace battery
    - Built-in Amiibo support

Cons:
    - Accessing memory card is a pain
    - Screen resolution is still too low
    - Does not come with a charger!!!!!!!!

Here is a breakdown of resolution on other devices compared to the New 3DS XL.

PS Vita (2012) 220ppi
    iPhone 1 (2007) 163ppi
    Nexus 6 (2014) 493ppi
    New 3DS XL (2015) 96ppi
    Last edited by Lethal; 02-18-2015 at 14:48.

2. Likes Christopher likes this post
    Elite Member
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    I must say I agree with this quite a bit!

I enjoy the tracking, it really helps! If you moved your previous 3DS slightly, the whole thing was unbalanced and unpleasant to view... Now it follows and it still works fine!
    The new analog stick is really useful and all, but it takes some getting used to, it literally is a rubber knob on the top right next to your touchscreen, which was pretty weird in my eyes.. I would've rather had an analog stick that is smaller than the one you use to move around but bigger than this one, than this stick. Though you won't hear me complain about this one about anything else, it works just fine for me as well!

The operating system works pretty fine too indeed, I do notice the speed has increased, though for me the difference isn't that magnificent.
    I personally don't use any of the other apps, besides the store to download updates, but that's about it.

The 2 new buttons are a nice addition, though I'm curious to see games use them as well. The New 3DS XL supports all 3DS games as well as new ones and Nintendo announced that there'll be games that will be solely for the New 3DS XL. I'm curious how that'd work out, because at the moment I've got TLOZ - MM and the new shoulder buttons just mimmick their brother on each side, meaning they do the same as the one they're next to.

Only thing I wonder about this new device is whether or not Nintendo could have improved the 3D. I don't know about other users, but often when I'm playing, I see perfect 3D in 1 scene, but the next scene has some objects which are visible 3 times scrambled over eachother instead of proper 3D.

While I agree with a bigger resolution would've been nice, I think it's better to keep this (New) 3DS XL (device) with the same resolution and make the next handheld with a bigger resolution (which should not be something like 'Newest 3DS XL', but an actual renewed handheld ofcourse).

If you've been thinking about getting a 3DS (XL), then just go for the New one. Though the improvements aren't THAT big towards the previous model, it's still a nice step forward and enhances the enjoyment!

Battlelog: MrUltraah | PSN: kipkebab92 | Steam: ultraah | Xfire: dahultrapro

4. Likes Lethal likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I added some resolution information to the first post. Basically showing how the 3DS compares to other devices. The 3DS falls miserably short when it comes to pixels per inch (ppi)

Nintendo should have doubled the ppi on this device.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    Hehe I get you.
    But still, I don't mind about it though.

Only thing I mind about is that I have 1 pixel being a lil $#@! at the moment, so I have to take my Majoras Mask Edition back to the store to see if they can help me out and fix it

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style
    About the charging. You don't need an actual 3DS Charger. You can also charge it via USB. I have this USB port base and its usually charging from it.

3DS: 4613-6960-4293

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    Yeah, I know, I have both! It's just the fact that Nintendo doesn't clearly notify it anywhere and if you're a little kid, see a commercial for a New 3DS XL and really want it and get it with your parents, it's quite a bummer if you come home and you realise there's no charger included.. It should be notified more obvious so that people KNOW.

When I first bought my (original) 3DS XL (Link Between Worlds Edition), I didn't know about this and the guy at the store asked me if I had a charger for a 3DS laying around.. I said I had one from a NDSLite but he said that's not going to work so I had to buy a separate one.
    If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have gotten one, which would've been ridiculous, as it would've forced me to make a second trip just for a charger.

Aaaanyway, mine is already back at the store.
    Had a dead pixel on the 3D screen somewhere in the middle of the right side, really painful if you have the Majoras Mask Edition.. Hopefully they fix it soon so I can actually start playing the game..

I agree as well. Out of my friends, I was the only one to get the, "New 3ds XL". After they saw how much better the 3D tracking was, they soon followed suit. For me, that is reason enough. I never turn off the 3D feature now.

Thread Information