Superior Member

Back to Nintendo

I picked up a Gamecube and Wii on eBay and can't belive how much fun these games are to play. I haven't had this much fun playing video games since the 360's first year.

These games, at least to me, are what gaming is all about. I love how Nintendo doesn't need to worry about graphics, they just make games that are fun to play.

I've even soft-modded the Wii to play NES and SNES games. The original Metroid and Mega Man as well as the Donkey Kong games are great.

I'll be supporting Nintendo by buying new Wii games when I can. The Gamecube games on eBay are a bit pricey but bargains can be found.

Looks like my 360 and PS3 will be collecting some serious dust. I've already sold my One because it basically sucks. Can't wait to pick up a Wii U. I may even break the old N64 out of storage and give that another run.

I've come to the realization that the harder devs try the worse games get. They try to hide gameplay flaws with pretty graphics and talk of resolution and frames per second. They need to get to the realization that none of that matters.

I'll take Mario and Zelda over the likes of Master Chief and Nathan Drake anyday.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    I agree with most of what u said. But about last sentence, why do you need to pick anyone? just enjoy all 4 if you have time&money for it.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

Stop preordering games! Stop buying day1 games! Stop being idiots!

Media Content Manager
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    Agreed with Shingo!

I myself used to have a gamecube and loved playing on it, even though I didn't have that much games
    I never got myself a wii though, which on one side is a shame as some of the games are interesting, but then again I don't mind as I have more than enough games/consoles/handhelds now..

I do have 2 3DS XLs (both 'old' and 'new') and I enjoy the games quite a bit!

I wouldn't prefer to play them over the UC series though (example) because while UC has it's charms, Nintendo games have their charms in their ways. Each game has this (though some fail harshly).

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style
    I remember when I first got my GameCube. I was late getting it around from its time of the generation. GameStop had a deal if you buy the GameCube for $100 you'll also get Mario Kart DoubleDash for free and an extra GameCube Controller. At that point, most of their games are "Player's Choice". The games were $20 or less. The only one that cost me $40 was WindWaker. The rest were Rogue Squadron, StarFox Adventure, Metroid Prime 1, Mario Sunshine and Pokemon Coliseum. And finally, I ended with Metroid Prime 2 which was just released as well.

The Wii was the only console I felt disappointed with. I still ended up with some classic Nintendo Games.

Wii U is amazing. This console brings Nintendo back to its peak. Zelda U and Star Fox releasing this year.

My first Nintendo console was an SNES and then I also got a N64. Those were the days obviously.

3DS: 4613-6960-4293

Sonata Dusk
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    I picked up a Gamecube and Wii on eBay and can't belive how much fun these games are to play. I haven't had this much fun playing video games since the 360's first year.
    That's the reality of gaming today. Games used to be challenging and designed to be fun at the core. Now everything is trying to be a flashy cinematic experience with dumbed-down gameplay and bloated DLC packs waiting to be sold.

Community and Technical Manager
    PSN ID
    Cand3Js
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Just curious, but why did you get Gamecube and Wii? Wii can play Gamecube games.

formerly known as LeisureSuitLarry

7. Likes robvandam111 likes this post
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Al
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    I agree with most of what u said. But about last sentence, why do you need to pick anyone? just enjoy all 4 if you have time&money for it.
    More a matter of time than money. The other thing is that there just aren't any games on the One or PS4 that are worth making the purchase. IMO both consoles have a weak line up.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Just curious, but why did you get Gamecube and Wii? Wii can play Gamecube games.
    The Wii does but I've heard of issues with some games on the Wii. Plus, I'm starting a little Nintendo collection.

The one nice advantage of the Wii is that it plays the games in the 480p if the game supports it. Those component cables for the Gamecube are outrageous on eBay.

I got a great deal on the Gamecube with a Wavebird wireless controller and 2 memory cards for $50 so I couldn't pass it up. I got the Wii with the Wii mote, classic controlle, SD card and Metroid Corruption for only $35.

Community and Technical Manager
    PSN ID
    Cand3Js
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    More a matter of time than money. The other thing is that there just aren't any games on the One or PS4 that are worth making the purchase. IMO both consoles have a weak line up.

The Wii does but I've heard of issues with some games on the Wii. Plus, I'm starting a little Nintendo collection.

The one nice advantage of the Wii is that it plays the games in the 480p if the game supports it. Those component cables for the Gamecube are outrageous on eBay.

I got a great deal on the Gamecube with a Wavebird wireless controller and 2 memory cards for $50 so I couldn't pass it up. I got the Wii with the Wii mote, classic controlle, SD card and Metroid Corruption for only $35.
    Wow....both of those are pretty sweet deals. Gamecube is by far my favorite Nintendo console.

formerly known as LeisureSuitLarry

Sandy Claws
    While I agree somewhat with your feelings towards resolution/framerate arguments, I do feel you are making a massive generalization based off of a very small amount of games.

I do agree that there do exist games that put graphics and cinematic integrity before fun, and this sorta sucks. But there are soooooo many games being created nowadays that encompass every single conceivable genre and platform that to say "They don't make em like they used to" just sounds nonsensical to me. This is barring the fact that you alluded to Halo and Uncharted having bad game design...

*twitches*

12. Likes MartyRules likes this post
    Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopey. View Post
    While I agree somewhat with your feelings towards resolution/framerate arguments, I do feel you are making a massive generalization based off of a very small amount of games.

I do agree that there do exist games that put graphics and cinematic integrity before fun, and this sorta sucks. But there are soooooo many games being created nowadays that encompass every single conceivable genre and platform that to say "They don't make em like they used to" just sounds nonsensical to me. This is barring the fact that you alluded to Halo and Uncharted having bad game design...

*twitches*
    No, this wasn't directed towards those two series. I enjoyed them both. I'm talking about games today in general. When you read dev interviews they talk about achieving a target frame rate and resolution. That's their main point of discussion.

I agree that most genres are covered but it's the quality that I question. And I'm not necessarily talking about making them like they used to since the Wii U is current gen. My point is that I prefer Nintendo's first party to those of Microsoft and Sony.

Sandy Claws
    No, this wasn't directed towards those two series. I enjoyed them both. I'm talking about games today in general. When you read dev interviews they talk about achieving a target frame rate and resolution. That's their main point of discussion.

I agree that most genres are covered but it's the quality that I question. And I'm not necessarily talking about making them like they used to since the Wii U is current gen. My point is that I prefer Nintendo's first party to those of Microsoft and Sony.
    That's fair.

I disagree, though. While I do think Nintendo undoubtedly makes extremely high quality games and products, I prefer many Sony first party studios and would argue that currently they (ND, Sony Santa Monica, Media Molecule, etc) have developed games on par, if not better, designed than many Nintendo games. Not to mention third-party developers and indie devs who have been consistently delivering quality hits year after year. I don't think we are ever at a loss for good games.

And I think a lot of that tech news and press about framerates is spurred on by consumers wanting to know what console to purchase, or wanting to know they purchased the correct one. Publishers know what people want to hear and they are taking advantage of that.

Dedicated Member
    Items Final Fantasy IVAtlus
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    That's the reality of gaming today. Games used to be challenging and designed to be fun at the core. Now everything is trying to be a flashy cinematic experience with dumbed-down gameplay and bloated DLC packs waiting to be sold.

Yeah man I miss the old days.
    I too like Nintendo putting a lot of things over cinematic graphics over the years graphics defintely don't make a game. So much HD games from last gen coming to PS4 and Xbox One so I can see why people would want a Wii U.

Getting one for Xenoblade X and get myself Smash Bro's plus Bayonetta 2 while im at it.
    Gaming is about fun in the end.

I too got myself a PS1 and PS2 console not long back and been playing some games on it for nostalgia sake and I could see what this gen is missing.
    Playing - Danganronpa 1 then i'll play 2(Vita), Samurai Warriors 4 (PS3)
    Support Xenosaga HD by clicking the link below and sign the petition!
    https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition...lobal_Release/

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Waiting and eating all at once is amazing , if you can wait that is

Quote Originally Posted by AsterPhoenix View Post
    Yeah man I miss the old days.
    I too like Nintendo putting a lot of things over cinematic graphics over the years graphics defintely don't make a game. So much HD games from last gen coming to PS4 and Xbox One so I can see why people would want a Wii U.

Getting one for Xenoblade X and get myself Smash Bro's plus Bayonetta 2 while im at it.
    Gaming is about fun in the end.

I too got myself a PS1 and PS2 console not long back and been playing some games on it for nostalgia sake and I could see what this gen is missing.
    I don't think it is working because old games more fun than the current, but because it give you a feeling of nostalgia. Back in the day when I was in elementary school, I was like wake up 7 in the morning to get the joystick before my brother and only take a break for eating, running to the console after that! we were racing literally. I am now grown up 30 years old, I run for nothing atm even not for sex, but I may still run if I run into the girl with a pink pencilcase, that I felt so hard in the elementary school. I hope you get what I meant.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Naughty DogFinal Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    When I first bought my Wii U, it was the first Nintendo system I owned since my gamecube days. At first it was such a relief to play these games I never got to play as I went and invested in some wii games that I had passed a whole generation on. Like you, I got a little tired of the same ol shooters and action games. Had so much fun I couldn't believe it. Nintendo does make some really amazing games, but I missed my shooters and action games after a month of playing Nintendo only. I came to the realization while I like Nintendo, it will always be my secondary console for when I either have people over or for when I want to play something outside of the games I usually play.

So essentially, I don't pick one over the other. Do I want to play Smash, or do I want to continue dismantling Sauron's army? All consoles have strengths and weaknesses, but I don't buy the argument that these current consoles (PS4, X1) sacrifice gameplay for pretty graphics and good frame rate, it has more to do with how old the systems are and how little of time they have really been on the market. Meaning less games out to judge versus last gen(s) that was a long gen with many years of released games.

Right now is still fairly early in this gen for gaming. Even for the Wii U's sake, it took awhile until enough good games were out to make it worthwhile (which I think it is right now).

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post

I don't think it is working because old games more fun than the current, but because it give you a feeling of nostalgia. Back in the day when I was in elementary school, I was like wake up 7 in the morning to get the joystick before my brother and only take a break for eating, running to the console after that! we were racing literally. I am now grown up 30 years old, I run for nothing atm even not for sex, but I may still run if I run into the girl with a pink pencilcase, that I felt so hard in the elementary school. I hope you get what I meant.

God yes remembering getting up in the morning before breakfast to get on the console. Then have breakfast and straight back on the console till I had to walk to school. Playing a console just for games nowdays it's all round media device.

Still enjoying collecting old games even now.

Good times the days of being a kid mate. Never grow up
    The nostalgic crush.

Ultimate Veteran
    Since you picked up a GameCube, I would highly recommend playing Skies of Arcadia Legends. Fantastic atmosphere and story for a role-playing game and the main protagonist, Vyse, has a "never give up"-type attitude.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

[OT] Dragon Quest Heroes
    Dragon Quest General Discussion Thread

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal King Slime View Post
    Since you picked up a GameCube, I would highly recommend playing Skies of Arcadia Legends. Fantastic atmosphere and story for a role-playing game and the main protagonist, Vyse, has a "never give up"-type attitude.
    Thanks. I'll look for a copy.

It is funny that the OP mentions how much fun the games were. I just read this article about the top five reasons people purchase each current console.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/2/25/811...one-or-a-wii-u

The fun factor did not make the top five for the PS4 but it was Nintendo's number one driver. Don't people want fun with their consoles anymore?

Superior Member
    I just picked up a Wii U to play Lego City Undercover...such a fun game!!

I sold my XB1 because there's nothing that I want to play coming out on it, still have a PC and PS4, but at the moment I just can't put Lego City down, I'm addicted!

I'm also looking forward to Xenoblade Chronicles X, from the trailer it looks pretty epic!

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iimarzll View Post
    It is funny that the OP mentions how much fun the games were. I just read this article about the top five reasons people purchase each current console.

The fun factor did not make the top five for the PS4 but it was Nintendo's number one driver. Don't people want fun with their consoles anymore?
    This is exactly it! Fun Factor the reason I play games and to get away from reality.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iimarzll View Post

TBH I don' think they do. It's a matter of measuring games by resolution & FPS. That's pretty much the main argument these days. Well that and first parties.

I ended up trading in my One, PS3 and Wii at Gamestop's 50% extra trade in event. I got more for the Wii than I paid for it and I can now play Wii games on my new Wii U. I figured I'll keep my 360 since most of the good non-Nintendo games are still coming out on the last gen systems.

Funny thing is that it appears most of Nintendo's first party stuff runs at 1080p and 60 fps. Kind of ironic.

Thread Information