PSU U.K. Executive Editor and Podcast Host
    Items User name styleLed ZeppelinAssassins Creed Ezio3DSDreamcastNintendo 64Vita360 SlimPS3 Fat

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots dev wanted open-world setting

So, the Fox Engine was created specifically for the open-world setting we see in MGSV Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain, but it seems Hideo Kojima wanted a sandbox approach for MGS4. The problem, however, was that he didn't have the technology available to do this at the time.

http://www.psu.com/news/26098/Metal-...-world-in-mind

Makes you wonder how MGS4 could have turned out if it went open-world, eh?
    http://www.psu.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=263583&dateline=13663  69798

Community and Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    The opening gameplay felt a little open-world-ish to me. You could pick a side and help or just sneak all the way through. Not a lot to it, but you can kind of see that Kojima wanted to open it up. But I can see where, at the time, incorporating open-world into a game the size of MGS4 would be a huge undertaking.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    I think it is also a story thing.....As involved as the metal gear story is I dont think you could have done MG4 open world. there were specific questions that had to be answered in the game where as MG5 doesn't really have those restrictions.

Thread Information