PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style

Anyone living in or around Tokyo?

Seeing as in 3 days time I will be jetting my way all the way to Japan, I thought it might be nice to meet anyone if they just happen to live close by. I'm putting my final itinerary together now and so far I have a lot to see! Of course I am planning to get lost on my relaxing days so exploring with someone else would be pretty cool.

If there isn't anyone then oh well but hey, I'm planning to take tonnes of pictures so I'll update this thread as often as possible - it'll be kind of weird to do via a tablet that's for sure.

Elite Sage

PSN ID
    Lymphatik
    Go stuff yourself on lots of Katsu for me
    PC: i7-3930K | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3
    EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+ | Corsair AX1200i | RoG Swift | Corsair Obsidian 800D

Watercooling: EK-Bay Spin Reservoir | EKWB Supremacy | EKWB Titan X Acetal+Nickel
    360mm + 120mm Radiators | Liang D5 pump | Primochill tubing | Barrow Fittings

500GB Black PS4

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Well I'll be buying lots of random Bento Boxes (daily most likely) so I wouldn't be surprised if I get some Katsu Chicken in there.

Oooooh that's what I need to take with me, my Japanese chopsticks!

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Buy some chopsticks there? Are you going alone?

-[ Final Fantasy VII: PS4 & PC || No Xbox ]-

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Yes I'm going alone, and I already have my own Japanese chopsticks that a friend of mine purchased for me about 10 years ago, so I'll be taking them with me.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Wow, have fun Varsh, pick up a few figure, I heard they are dirty cheap at there.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

Stop preordering games! Stop buying day1 games! Stop being idiots!

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Well I'll be staying in Akihabara (the quiet area with an onsen ^_^) so when I touch down and throw my baggage in the hotel, I'm going to take a walk around the geek shops all day to familiarise myself with the area. I might walk to some of the places I'll be visiting too like Ueno Park, Tokyo Skytree, Asakusa, Imperial Palace, and of course the Gundam Cafe/Anime Centre in Akihabara which is apparently just 400m from my hotel. \(^_^)/

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    You are gonna live the Otaku~Dream mate Don't forget to take lots of pictures!
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    You are gonna live the Otaku~Dream mate
    I already have butterflies!

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    After you come back, please post the pictures in here or a new thread on PSU. I always wanted to see Japan from a visitor's perspective. See if you can snapshot some Yakuza! ...without being killed and all lol. You might see Kiryu there!

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    Seeing as in 3 days time I will be jetting my way all the way to Japan, I thought it might be nice to meet anyone if they just happen to live close by. I'm putting my final itinerary together now and so far I have a lot to see! Of course I am planning to get lost on my relaxing days so exploring with someone else would be pretty cool.

If there isn't anyone then oh well but hey, I'm planning to take tonnes of pictures so I'll update this thread as often as possible - it'll be kind of weird to do via a tablet that's for sure.
    Stock up on Royce Baton Cookies (coconut)

https://www.royce.com/contents/english_product/#cookies

PSN ID
    Throndillion
    How long are you going for?

I went to Japan in 2013, was amazing. Only had a day in Akihabara, which was not enough time but did get into a few really awesome shops. Also AKB48 was a big thing. I think it was 4 days in Tokyo, 5 in Kyoto (But had a day trip to Hiroshima and Sekigahara) and 2 in Osaka.

Most important thing is make sure you leave the UK with plenty of empty space in your suitcase.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
    After you come back, please post the pictures in here or a new thread on PSU. I always wanted to see Japan from a visitor's perspective. See if you can snapshot some Yakuza! ...without being killed and all lol. You might see Kiryu there!
    I doubt I'll see any Yakuza but I will be taking a tonne of photos as I am going to have my jaw drop I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Stock up on Royce Baton Cookies (coconut)

https://www.royce.com/contents/english_product/#cookies
    I've already stocked up on these:

Quote Originally Posted by Fhirald View Post
    How long are you going for?

I went to Japan in 2013, was amazing. Only had a day in Akihabara, which was not enough time but did get into a few really awesome shops. Also AKB48 was a big thing. I think it was 4 days in Tokyo, 5 in Kyoto (But had a day trip to Hiroshima and Sekigahara) and 2 in Osaka.

Most important thing is make sure you leave the UK with plenty of empty space in your suitcase.
    I'll be back on the 19th and leaving in just over 32 hours time! I'm taking a decent sized suitcase with about half the space remaining, I'm expecting to purchase presents for people in Asakusa and also for my niece and nephew in the anime store behind the hotel. Of course I'll be picking up some figurines myself, perhaps some comics and of course some stuff from the Ghibli museum. (*_*)

I am planning to take a day trip to Himeji and thankfully I have a JR Pass so that will help with the cost of the trip immensely. I might have to stay a night in Himeji and return to Tokyo the day after.

Dedicated Member
    Items Final Fantasy IVAtlus
    That's awesome your going to Japan man. Really thinking of going sometime maybe later this year have to go Tokyo Game Show someday. Could give Tekken 7 ago since it released in arcades! Hope you enjoy your trip man! Keep the updates rolling!
    Playing - Danganronpa 1 then i'll play 2(Vita), Samurai Warriors 4 (PS3)
    Support Xenosaga HD by clicking the link below and sign the petition!
    https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition...lobal_Release/

PSN ID
    Throndillion
    Himeji castle was a place I really wanted to go but they had major restoration work at the time.

JR pass is pretty much essential if you want to travel out. Also at the airport (Narita) they had a place you could buy the tube/underground card.

Your going at the right time of year, the blossoms should be out at the Imperial Palace. You will no doubt have a fantastic time. If you do get home sick you can always take refuge at http://www.pub-hub.com/ or a meido kissa.....

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Glad you be here Fhirald, I am also planing for my Japan trip, just don't know when , but I have a question for you, if you don't mind.

Is Osaka worth the trouble? I heard there is not much Japanish stuff at there, I hope you get what I mean, internet tells it is more of a west city instead of Japan. Do you agree with it ?
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Thanks for the link.

I have always wanted to see Himeji-jou and what better time than during the Sakura bloom! They have blossomed a week early so I will be going to Ueno Park as soon as I land, I don't want to miss this short spell. I was worried about not being able to go inside Himeji-jou because of the renovations inside it however last week they had finished everything and opened the inside of the castle back up to the public (hooray!).

To Ueno it's a 10 minute walk, to the Imperial Palace it's a 30 minute walk, to Asakusa it's 25 minutes, then to Tokyo Skytree it's 35 minutes. So really I'm situated in quite the nice spot. \(^_^)/

Quote Originally Posted by AsterPhoenix View Post
    That's awesome your going to Japan man. Really thinking of going sometime maybe later this year have to go Tokyo Game Show someday. Could give Tekken 7 ago since it released in arcades! Hope you enjoy your trip man! Keep the updates rolling!
    There are so many arcades in Japan that I think going to the Tokyo Game Show will be a bit too much on top of that, despite that I'm going to try and stay out of the arcades as I am going to visit the country and not to play games. (^_^; )

I'll certainly have to have at least one day in the arcades though just to see what it's like compared to the arcades where I live as there's tonnes down here too.

PSN ID
    Throndillion
    So jealous you get to go inside the castle, really hope you can post some pictures when you are back. If I ever manage to get back to Japan really want to go to Himeji. There are actually only about 2 or 3 standing castles from pre-1600, ones like Osaka are complete rebuilds.

Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    Glad you be here Fhirald, I am also planing for my Japan trip, just don't know when , but I have a question for you, if you don't mind.

Is Osaka worth the trouble? I heard there is not much Japanish stuff at there, I hope you get what I mean, internet tells it is more of a west city instead of Japan. Do you agree with it ?
    Osaka did feel different to the rest of Japan, it had great food, so many places to eat. If you only had a limited time in Japan and wanted to see other stuff you could probably skip. Kyoto on the other hand I would recommend, there are no high rise buildings and everything goes at a much more gentler pace than in Osaka/Tokyo.

It depends what you are into really. If you want the video games, anime and culture shock Tokyo is the place. I enjoy the history so went to museums. One of my favourite days was getting out the cities and visiting Sekigahara (site of a battle in 1600 which effectively established the Tokugawa shogunate which lasted over 250 years). Rented a bike from the local souvenir shop and spent the day riding around the battlefield and marking off key locations on a map, met some nice people including a Manchester United fan...

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Well Himeji is still a 50/50 thing, it all depends what I can arrange while there. I need to check the local Shinkansen trains back to Tokyo.

Thread Information