PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style

Japan Trip Thread

Konnichiwa Toukyou kara. Hello from Tokyo!

I'm finally here, well on the train heading into Tokyo from the station anyway. Unfortunately it's super foggy so I can barely see anything past 300 metres in front of me. Hopefully the forecast will be better for tomorrow. It's 11:30 now so I can't see it getting any better for the rest of the day but ill explore my surroundings. First stop is the hotel in Akihabara and then to explore Ueno and Electric Town.

2. Likes Lebowski likes this post
    PSU Reviews Editor, Hit Series Creator
    PSN ID
    MelegantPrime
    Have fun! I enjoyed my time there for TGS.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Nice stuff man! Does it feel like you travelled to another entire world when you entered Tokyo? I feel like Japan is the country of the future. Like, any futuristic movies you see and Japan would already be at that level, way ahead of everyone else. Also, one big thing about eating in Japan is you DON'T have to tip. It's considered an insult if you do haha. And do please try authentic Japanese sushi from Jiro's place!! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1772925/?ref_=nv_sr_1

I'm so happy and jealous of you. I can only DREAM of going there. Stuck here in boring Canada.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items Diablo IIIOne PieceGhost in the ShellLuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Akihabara is amazing, go there multiple times and spent at least 1 full day there if you can.

A good rule in general, Look up!! It's very different from Sydney at least, in the way that there is sooooooooo much happening in the buildings that it's easy to miss

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Well getting to my hotel was simple enough, but I took a little detour for some fun. As soon as I left Akihabara station I was right outside AKB48 and Gunman café. Unfortunately it was absolutely pissing it down with rain so I didn't take any photos at that time. Also I had to wait for check in so I left my baggage and set out exploring Akihabara (I frequently looked up!) and I decided to waste lots of time and walk the whole of Ueno Park and go inside the Tokyo National Museum.

It wasn't raining as bad as before so I took some pictures at Ueno which I hope came up well. They had a market going on there which was funky, they were all out voicing each other like some competition lol. Getting there and back I walked along the railroad (just below) and found tonnes of shops, literally tonnes and it was more packed than the main streets where all of the Kareoke shops are.

Oh and how many Yodabashi Kamera shops do you need?!

Anyway after getting practically no sleep for over 29 hours, taking my feet off the ground in the museum made my eyes close without my thinking about it, so that's when I knew I had to head back to the hotel. I just woke up from 2 hours kip.

I'm going to figure out how to get these photos off my camera and onto the tablet now.

Must admit though I didn't get that culture shock I thought I would do, it could be down to all of that Otaku-ness. :

I have been fumbling my Japanese, my mind just went completely blank, I think that could be due to being tired. Early night for me!

Photos will be added in their droves here: https://m.facebook.com/aaron.varshney

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    currently in the process of saving for japan. the last place i want to go...
    not like..i don't want to go there, but the last major holiday that i want.
    Last edited by jj03; 1 Week Ago at 01:00.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    The way I saw it was that I'm going to be switching jobs soon, I had enough money, and it was a "do it now as I most likely won't get this opportunity again", so 10 weeks ago I just booked the tickets and here I am.

Most of the places have signs in English so you won't have an issue getting around, even announcements are in English too! I still recommend taking a phrasebook, you'll end up like me on the first day otherwise and forget all the Japanese you knew.

Well it's the start of day 2 now and I'm going to take it easy and just go to the Animate ikebukuro flagship store and the Akiba Cultures Zone which are the two biggest geek stores in Tokyo - 8 stories each!

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Well I did go to Akiba Cultures Zone and woah, talk about totally geeking out! I've been to Forbidden Planet in London and I totally geeked out there but holy he'll, just for 4 of the floors I must have spent around 3 hours just looking around! There was an Animate on the second floor but swiftly moved on as I now know that Animate is very judoshi based. .. no yaoi for me thanks.

I popped into a lot of the smaller stores and there more figurines and electronics. They certainly call this place Electric Town for a reason and I now know why, but if I thought that Akiba Cultures Zone was big then I never saw anything yet until I went into Yodabashi Camera. .. 8 floors too but the floor size was at least 3 times bigger. Did I mention that I must have spent at least 4 hours in there?

I popped into a Sofmap too and it was Interesting, the first set of floors were great, then at floor 5 it said PC GAMES 18 ONLY. Well I couldn't resist and up I went and before I got to the top of the escalator I instantly saw what was coming. .. well it did have PC games sure, like what we normally play, but that was limited to about 20 titles at most, the other 5000+ other titles were nothing but eroge!!! My face went bright red let me tell you that right now lol. You want to know why Japanese don't play PC games? This is your answer. I pretty much didn't go to the final floor for obvious reasons.

Thread Information