Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War

Little too late? Vita just got abit more powerful...

PlayStation Vita firmware update v3.50*seemed like a bit of a non-event for Sony's handheld format, removing more features than it added. However, as part of a presentation at the Unite Tokyo 2015 event *as spotted and translated by NeoGAF member Parakeetman* the platform holder revealed that the new patch enables 30 per cent additional memory for usage with games.

What does this mean? Well, we're not engineers so we can't say for sure, but it sounds like the Japanese giant was reserving a portion of the platform's memory should it decide to implement new hardware intensive features in the future. By giving that power back to developers, it means that studios will now be able to push the system a little harder than before. Of course, they've got to actually make some new software first...
    Shame this has only just happened. Remember reading a while back Criterion were struggling with memory issues with need for speed on the vita so toned the graphics and density of traffic back. Maybe that wouldn't have happened if this memory was available then and other devs may have took a punt on the Vita if they new there wouldn't be as many hardware restrictions as first thought.

Guessing this could have come from Near now that's not being utilised as first intended.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    It just needs games, I had one but sold it. If they make a stand out title for the vita, I'll get it again

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    I played Wolf Among Us last week, the game freezes so much, it is almost unplayable. All , yea all of the action scenes are dead, you lose without even you see the popping button.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

Stop preordering games! Stop buying day1 games! Stop being idiots!

Media Content Manager
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    Can't lie, I agree. I'd love to see games use that 30%..
    AC Liberation, had quite some lags for me. Same for Killzone Mercenary, which I downloaded today over Playstation Plus.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    bond4ever007
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    I played Wolf Among Us last week, the game freezes so much, it is almost unplayable. All , yea all of the action scenes are dead, you lose without even you see the popping button.
    I played Telltale's The Walking Dead Season 1 on my Vita and the game lagged too often, it was very frustrating. It actually ruined the experience a bit. Good to know I shouldn't pick up The Wolf Among Us for PS Vita then, because I am already on the edge of buying that game. I was just thinking if I should get it for PS4 or PS Vita.

Can't remember experiencing lag with Killzone Mercenary though, Weazle. That's weird.

With this 30%, it would be nice if some apps would be able to run in the background. Like TuneIn, it always bugged me that you can't listen to music while playing a game.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    Hahah that is so funny! Nice one Sony.

Anyone remember the PSP firmware update 3.5 that unlocked the CPU power from 222mhz to 333mhz to developers?

~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Media Content Manager
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaas View Post
    Can't remember experiencing lag with Killzone Mercenary though, Weazle. That's weird.
    That is weird, yeah.. It just feels laggy to me, I'd turn fast and if there's a little action going on the screen it feels like the game has some lags..

Quote Originally Posted by MjW View Post
    Hahah that is so funny! Nice one Sony.

Anyone remember the PSP firmware update 3.5 that unlocked the CPU power from 222mhz to 333mhz to developers?
    They updated for that once?
    I honestly hacked my PSP back then, changed it manually to 333 mhz in the menu you could get in.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Now we just need bigger memory cards for not ridiculous prices and maybe Vita will be more popular over here.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Preorders:
    Witcher3Batman:AKUncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    The vita definitely needs more games.
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | Nvidia 970 GTX | 6 GB Corsair Xms 1333 Mhz | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 250 GB WD HDD | Windows 7 Ultimate |

Selected Members Council
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Power was never the problem with the Vita, the lack of games is!

Nice that they are trying to speed the system up because as it's been mentioned before games like TWD and TWAU run so bad on the Vita sometimes they are almost unplayable!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Twitch ID: http://www.twitch.tv/duffman041986/profile

My Youtube Gaming Channel - Now with commentary: Duffman Gaming

Community and Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    Now we just need bigger memory cards for not ridiculous prices and maybe Vita will be more popular over here.
    I can't help but think that if Sony had gone with standard microSD cards then things would be much different right now.

12. Likes K2D likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Vichael
    Items The Beatles
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    I played both TWAU and TWD on Xbox 360 and they lagged really bad. Seems to be a common thing with Telltale.
    PSN: Vichael
    Twitter: @miceld

Selected Members Council
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Vichael View Post
    I played both TWAU and TWD on Xbox 360 and they lagged really bad. Seems to be a common thing with Telltale.
    Thank god the PS4 frame rates for them are much improved, was so nice playing TWD without getting killed because the system couldn't keep up
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Twitch ID: http://www.twitch.tv/duffman041986/profile

My Youtube Gaming Channel - Now with commentary: Duffman Gaming

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Quote Originally Posted by Vichael View Post
    Don't know about 360 Vichael, but the vita version is the worst game I ever played on vita.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

Stop preordering games! Stop buying day1 games! Stop being idiots!

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    I know the overpriced proprietary cards were the reason I never bought one. Finally about a year ago I bought on used, but never really used it much. I just enjoy my plasma tv too much.

Thread Information