Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Apprentice
    Items Dragon Ball ZDr. DreBruce Lee

The Language Thread

I thought this would be a dope idea for a thread and hopefully it will open gateways for people who speak or who are learning the same language.

So I speak fluent English, I can speak most German and I'm conversational in Mandarin. Sadly I've given up on Greek and have left learning it to later in my life. I want to learn both Japanese, Swahili, Norwegian (vikings motherf*****) and Russian before I die as well but I haven't even started learning them. I'm still improving my Mandarin and German and am trying to get it to the level my English is at.

What about you?

Sonata Dusk
    Quote Originally Posted by Tactical View Post
    So I speak fluent English,
    Sorry man, but I don't understand a word you're saying. Can you speak some English?

Seriously though: I know some German. It's rough, but I can get by with simple conversations (listening and speaking) and moderate-reading (much more easy).

I'd like to maybe learn Spanish and Japanese at some point, but that may never happen.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    I can only speak English and Estonian fluently. I've lost my Swedish, French, and Spanish due to no practice and exposure. I only learnt Russian for a year.

I wish to study Chinese one day.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Fluent English and fluent Romanian. I wanna learn German, Serbian and Japanese.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    I speak Norwegian and English fluently. I actually think my english repertoire is better than my norwegian. Much thanks to this forum xD
    My german is rapidly vaporizing.

I'd definitely like to learn japanese, and perhaps russian, mandarin or french.
    Last edited by K2D; 04-18-2015 at 01:51.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    Sorry man, but I don't understand a word you're saying. Can you speak some English?

Seriously though: I know some German. It's rough, but I can get by with simple conversations (listening and speaking) and moderate-reading (much more easy).

I'd like to maybe learn Spanish and Japanese at some point, but that may never happen.
    Yeah German is a b*tch

Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    I can only speak English and Estonian fluently. I've lost my Swedish, French, and Spanish due to no practice and exposure. I only learnt Russian for a year.

I wish to study Chinese one day.
    Estonian? That's interesting. Is it a hard language?

Quote Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
    Fluent English and fluent Romanian. I wanna learn German, Serbian and Japanese.
    Serbian is interesting choice, how comes? Do you have serbian family or just general interest?

Quote Originally Posted by K2D View Post
    I speak Norwegian and English fluently. I actually think my english repertoire is better than my norwegian. Much thanks to this forum xD
    My german is rapidly vaporizing.

I'd definitely like to learn japanese, and perhaps russian, mandarin or french.
    Oh sweet Norwegian! Is the language hard? Like I said above i'm really interested in Norwegian. The history is so rich and different. Good to know that this forum is helping your English too.
    Cash Rules Everything Around Me
    C.R.E.A.M.
    Get the money
    Dollar, dollar bill y'all

My OT's: The Language Thread and The Official PS4 Shoot 'Em Up Thread

PSN ID
    Ivan2181
    I know English and ASL...... that's America Sign Language, amazing language but useless here. I took 2 years of Spanish many, many years ago but don't even remember enough to carry a conversation with someone. Would like to learn Italian.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2181 View Post
    I know English and ASL...... that's America Sign Language, amazing language but useless here. I took 2 years of Spanish many, many years ago but don't even remember enough to carry a conversation with someone. Would like to learn Italian.
    Why is sign language useless there (presuming you're speaking about America)?
    C.R.E.A.M.
    Get the money

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    @tactical: From what I've heard it's not particularly hard. If you practice hard you could probably get by within 3 months. What can be daunting are the different dialects. We've got two main directions of the language, the highly danish influenced and reformatory direction; and the new and supposedly dialect-collective direction. Those two again you can split up in 5 different regions and even further on a rural level. (And none of the are particularly "viking" - the closest to old norse is icelandic)
    Last edited by K2D; 04-18-2015 at 02:53.

Community and Technical Manager
    PSN ID
    Cand3Js
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    I both read and write English, American, and Canadian. Fluently!

11. Likes MajorMajor, Malt likes this post
    Administrator and Visionary
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    I can speak B2 grade german. As a language trainer in Vienna I didn't use it too much so never really advanced. I can understand most and can talk about a good range of topics but it could be better.

Sent from my GT-I9000

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    @Tactical. I have family that is Serbian, so they've always been on my ass about it since I was a kid. Also, it's a little interesting to me. It'd be nice to know it.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Skullomainia
    English, a little bit of Welsh, a few phrases in French and a few less of German..

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Libra-75
    Only Swedish and English here. But I would really like to learn languages like Mandarin and Japanese.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    LadyBlack007
    I speak fluent Italian, English and French. I know most German. Im currently learning Greek. I would love to learn Japanese and Spanish before I die.
    Twitter: 69DarkPhoenix

17. Likes Survival Horror likes this post
    Selected Members Council
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Fluid English of course and I can actually pretty much speak biegle polski (fluent polish)

Love fluent Italian, could listen to it for hours even if I don't know what they are talking about
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Twitch ID: http://www.twitch.tv/duffman041986/profile

PSU Direct Email: adam.duffield@psu.com

My Youtube Gaming Channel - Now with commentary: Duffman Gaming

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    LadyBlack007
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Fluid English of course and I can actually pretty much speak biegle polski (fluent polish)

Love fluent Italian, could listen to it for hours even if I don't know what they are talking about
    a lot of people message me to ask what I said. Luckily I don't swear much.
    Twitter: 69DarkPhoenix

20. Likes Duffman likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    M4jorCyn1k
    I can count to ten and say hello/goodbye in german and french but that's about it.
    twitterings @posor

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by K2D View Post
    @tactical: From what I've heard it's not particularly hard. If you practice hard you could probably get by within 3 months. What can be daunting are the different dialects. We've got two main directions of the language, the highly danish influenced and reformatory direction; and the new and supposedly dialect-collective direction. Those two again you can split up in 5 different regions and even further on a rural level. (And none of the are particularly "viking" - the closest to old norse is icelandic)
    Yeah I know that it's not Viking anymore but still it's a real interesting language from what I've heard and I would really like to live there for a bit one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I can speak B2 grade german. As a language trainer in Vienna I didn't use it too much so never really advanced. I can understand most and can talk about a good range of topics but it could be better.

Sent from my GT-I9000
    Yeah I've noticed from before you spoke German. You did it in that new Introduce Myself thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
    @Tactical. I have family that is Serbian, so they've always been on my ass about it since I was a kid. Also, it's a little interesting to me. It'd be nice to know it.
    Yeah my family has been on my ass about Greek. Too bad it's one of the hardest languages.

Quote Originally Posted by Malt View Post
    English, a little bit of Welsh, a few phrases in French and a few less of German..
    Welsh is a great language!

Quote Originally Posted by Libra-75 View Post
    Only Swedish and English here. But I would really like to learn languages like Mandarin and Japanese.
    Oh yeah I just noticed your profile says you're Swedish.

Quote Originally Posted by 1DarkPhoenix View Post
    I speak fluent Italian, English and French. I know most German. Im currently learning Greek. I would love to learn Japanese and Spanish before I die.
    Good luck with Greek. You're in for a tough ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post

Are you polish Duff?
    C.R.E.A.M.
    Get the money

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Vichael
    Items The Beatles
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorMajor View Post
    I can count to ten and say hello/goodbye in german and french but that's about it.
    Same, pretty much.

I have great admiration for people who are multilingual. I wish I had the patience to learn another language.

PSN ID
    Ivan2181
    Quote Originally Posted by Tactical View Post
    Why is sign language useless there (presuming you're speaking about America)?
    Nah my mistake, I just misread your initial post. I meant on the forum since it's a visual language with hand gestures and facial expression.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2181 View Post
    Nah my mistake, I just misread your initial post. I meant on the forum since it's a visual language with hand gestures and facial expression.
    That's fine, no worries. How comes you know ASL?
    C.R.E.A.M.
    Get the money

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Don´t have one yet
    I can only speak Swedish and English. My native language is Somali but today i can't speak Somali unfortunately Before i die, i wanna learn Spanish, Swahili, Arabic and my native language. I have relatives who can speak Swahili

Community and Technical Manager
    PSN ID
    Cand3Js
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Unfortunately, here in the US, learning a second, third language doesn't have many practical uses. If I learn another language then I would do so just because I wanted to, but I would almost never have a real opportunity to use it.

I'm kind of jealous of folks in other countries who were brought up learning multiple languages. I guess it makes sense on continents like Europe and Africa where there are so many languages in a geographical region.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    I know the Queen's English , and I was able to just about get by on my limited nihongo here in Japan. Has 2 weeks already passed?! I'm planning on learning Japanese fluently though.

Thread Information