PSU U.K. Executive Editor and Podcast Host
    Items User name styleLed ZeppelinAssassins Creed Ezio3DSDreamcastNintendo 64Vita360 SlimPS3 Fat

Why Star Wars Battlefront looks so amazing on PS4

Star Wars Battlefront has been wowing folks with its visuals, particularly on PS4, and DICE has jumped up to explain how they've managed to achieve this:

http://www.psu.com/news/26650/Star-W...-and-heres-why

With Uncharted 4 shoved into next year, could this be a good contender for best-looking PS4 game of the year?
    http://www.psu.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=263583&dateline=13663  69798

Forum Overseer

Mike, I'm gonna mention two things and these things are fairly rehashed.

1) getting max out of a system means nothing. it's relative. it just means they did their best with the tools and situation provided. it could still be using 50-60% of the system's actual potential. and i would not be surprised if this game is using about that much (rough guess) considering it's a multiplat game (and who knows, might even be a cross-gen game...i haven't looked into it)

2) until they show us "gameplay" pics at least, I don't care what the engine can do. i mean, yes, it's still a good sign that they're able to get the engine to display these graphics in realtime but all of this means little until we see actual gameplay and or actual gameplay pics.

that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Omar View Post
    Mike, I'm gonna mention two things and these things are fairly rehashed.

1) getting max out of a system means nothing. it's relative. it just means they did their best with the tools and situation provided. it could still be using 50-60% of the system's actual potential. and i would not be surprised if this game is using about that much (rough guess) considering it's a multiplat game (and who knows, might even be a cross-gen game...i haven't looked into it)

2) until they show us "gameplay" pics at least, I don't care what the engine can do. i mean, yes, it's still a good sign that they're able to get the engine to display these graphics in realtime but all of this means little until we see actual gameplay and or actual gameplay pics.

that's all.
    Couldn't have said it better. They probably mean they've maxed out the game engine rather than the hardware itself.

Forum Overseer

oh that's what they always mean. they do it on purpose :P

only time i've seen someone actually talking about how much of the console's potential has been used...is ND and well, they kinda can because they make exclusives that are created to take advantage of the hardware. no corner cutting due to multiple systems.

EDIT: one other point i wanted to add, every time someone shows "engine footage", you can bet your bottom the actual gameplay won't look the same. or they'd just show gameplay.

i guess, it could also be that the game is still in early stages so all they could come up with was engine footage as it's easier to fill in places that are still in concept and aren't done yet (engine footage can be anything they want it to be within the limits, it's almost like a full motion video, just realtime and within the larger limits of the engine) but i would wager that the game ain't gonna look like this.

hopefully gameplay doesn't look too far off but i'm afraid it might. now, could ND come up with graphics like this or in other words, is PS4 capable of these graphics? YES and probably more! (but we don't know the true power yet so i'm guessing) but considering it's a multiplat game...i highly highly doubt it's going to look like that.

i'm not expecting those graphics even on the PC version. i'd love to be proven wrong and be surprised but nah...
    Last edited by Omar; 3 Weeks Ago at 17:02.

PSN ID
    snake2112
    I'm just stoked to hear about the game. It's about time a game for Star Wars is actually happening. There are some older videos on Star Wars Battlefront 3 on youtube and if they are even semi accurate it will be a fun game.
    SinCerely, sAiNt sNaKe

Super Elite
    I might just buy this game, it's got me interested.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    I thought the game was only 1/4 of the previous game on the PS2 or is that just a rumor?
    PSN ID: Intense_Peanut

If the graphics are anything like the preview, this could be quite the treat. Perfect setup before being letdown by the movie

Dedicated Member
    Items Final Fantasy IVAtlus
    We likely see more footage at E3 so we'll find out then. They always say they max out this console and that console but somehow as the generation goes by they manage to do more.
    Playing - Star Ocean:Till The End Of Time (PS2), Diablo 3 and Skyrim PC
    Support Xenosaga HD by clicking the link below and sign the petition!
    https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition...lobal_Release/

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    ZeroTheSquirrel
    I'm reserving judgement & keeping expectations low because listed reasons
    No space battle,Galactic conquest, unique class systems, Campaign & offline conquest like the past games
    AT-AT are on rails similar to the C-130 of Battlefield
    Pre-order Nonsense

Without respect, we are but beasts of the field. If you don't hear someone out, then you know not your foe nor your friends.

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Solid_Squirrel View Post
    I'm reserving judgement & keeping expectations low because listed reasons
    No space battle,Galactic conquest, unique class systems, Campaign & offline conquest like the past games
    AT-AT are on rails similar to the C-130 of Battlefield
    Pre-order Nonsense
    exactly, and yet they have maxed it out. maxing something out is very vague, it's easy to max out a console if things are also not optimized for it. in which case the resources are used horribly if anything. Because this is coming from EA/DICE, I really don't believe a thing they have to say about anything at all.
    PSN ID: Intense_Peanut

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    ZeroTheSquirrel
    Crysis 3 was maxed out on the PS3 yet had garbage framerate & sub HD resolution
    While the older Killzone 3 was locked to 720p at 30 FPS with optional Splitscreen that too "maxed out" the PS3

Maxed out can mean anything
    Last edited by Solid_Squirrel; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:43.

Without respect, we are but beasts of the field. If you don't hear someone out, then you know not your foe nor your friends.

13. Likes Captncoke49 likes this post
    Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    ZeroTheSquirrel
    I bring a gift from 8Chan

http://www.eastarwars.com/

Master Sage

Thread Information