Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome

Need help choosing a new TV

Hey guys, I'm kind of in a conundrum right now. I've got about a $1000 budget for a new TV. It has to come from best buy because I have a $200 gift card from there to go towards the purchase. My problem is I can't decide whether I should go with a more budget 55" 4k TV or get a mid line 60" 1080p. Keep in mind that I cannot steam any content so that is not factor. I'm curious to hear what everyone thinks about 4k. How far off it is before is becomes abundant? Will Blu Rays play in 4k with a 4k player? Is it too soon to be worrying about having a 4k set? Anyway, if anyone that has some insight on how bright and close the future of 4k is I'd appreciate it.

So here are some of the ones I'm looking at. I'd appreciate some input.

Vizio E Series 60" E60-C3
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-60...&skuId=2783415

Sony 60" 1080p LED KDL 60W630B
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-60-...&skuId=5006023

Sharp Aquos Q 60"U LC-60EQ10U
    http
    ://www.bestbuy.com/site/sharp-aquos-q-series-60-class-60-3-32-diag--led-1080p-smart-hdtv-black/3345084.p?id=1219090884304&skuId=3345084

Sharp Aquos 65" LC-65LE654U
    http
    ://www.bestbuy.com/site/sharp-aquos-65-class-64-5-diag--led-1080p-smart-hdtv-black/3251014.p?id=1219575794846&skuId=3251014#tabbed-customerreviews

Vizio 55" M Series 4k M55-C2
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-m-...&skuId=2833053

Sharp 55" 4k LC-55UB30U
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sharp-aquos-ub30-series-55-class-54-6-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-black/4256015.p?id=1219625982463&skuId=4256015

List in progress
    Last edited by PS4freak; 05-28-2015 at 17:25.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    I can't answer which to TV to buy, but I can answer your 4K question. A LOT of film and television is being shot in 4K and higher nowadays. The Fury WW2 tank movie with Brad Pitt has an option for 4K, if you have a 4K player and TV, so yes, your 4K player should natively support a normal blu-ray disc, because even the 4K discs, which are much much larger and more with layers, are blu-ray technology. So that shouldn't be a problem. And you can find a handful of blu-ray 4K transfer movies. On amazon alone.

As for the timeliness of investing in this? My intuition says to wait it out till 8K TV's come out, and there are already some shown at CES last year and the year and this year. Plus, there are 8K cameras too and Japan wants to broadcast their NHK channel in 8K pretty soon. But, I don't think it's gonna anytime soon, despite the technology being already available for filmmakers and broadcasters alike.

If you wanna get 4KTV, why not? Can't hurt. You'll be ready for the next-gen consoles, which SHOULD have 4K. If they don't, then consoles are truly far behind. But I think the PS5 will have 4K. If you subscribe to Netflix, they have 4K streams. But as you said, streaming is not an option for you, so just stick to buying the 4K blu-rays. And unless you unlimited data cap plan from your ISP, streaming in 4K is gonna eat up your data cap extremely fast. It's got such a high bit-rate and the file sizes are enormous. I don't even wanna know the size of what a 5 second 8K videoclip would be like.

So, go for the 4K.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    The new Vizio M Series has an insanely low input lag, I am looking at the 80" 4K set (M80-C3), it's really impressive for the price!

http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd.../m-series-2015

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I would go with the Vizio M series. I have last years 65" M-Series model, and I love it. The remote sucks donkey balls though.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    The new Vizio M Series has an insanely low input lag, I am looking at the 80" 4K set (M80-C3), it's really impressive for the price!

http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd.../m-series-2015

I completely agree. I was shopping around all over for a big TV. I considered the 1080 Samsung model that was 75 and the Sharp that was 80. Then I saw the things people were saying about the M80 (ie, http://pocinc.net/blog/product-revie...ra-hd-smart-tv or the one on CNET) and I was blown away by how much the M80 was compared to what you are getting and what people were saying about it. Not to mention when my buddies stop by, holy crud do they panic when they see it.
    --
    This is the world's greatest signature.....ever!

Selected Members Council
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    I would go for the Vizio 55" M Series 4k M55-C2 especially with it being 4K and Smart plus for the price you would struggle to get anything better imo

I also felt it might be too soon to go for 4K but I went for it in the end and don't regret my decision one bit, yes right now 4K content is pretty non existent but from what I have been reading TV companies are starting to roll out channels in this format, over here BT have already launched a sports channel in 4K so it's something that can obviously be done!
    Last edited by Duffman; 11-06-2015 at 09:19.
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

PSU Direct Email: adam.duffield@psu.com

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    6 months later and you guys are still giving advise lol

8. Likes PS4freak likes this post
    Selected Members Council
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal View Post
    I didn't even look at the date of the OP
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

PSU Direct Email: adam.duffield@psu.com

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    6 months later and still don't have the TV. I'll probably go M series when I do.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    6 months later and still don't have the TV. I'll probably go M series when I do.
    Good choice. I have the 70" M-Series 4K TV and I absolutely love it.

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Good choice. I have the 70" M-Series 4K TV and I absolutely love it.
    It's really the most logical choice. It gets amazing reviews and it's much cheaper than most brands.

Thread Information