View Poll Results: Do you believe in ghosts?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I believe.

8 26.67%
  • No, I do not believe.

16 53.33%
  • Undecided.

6 20.00%
Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    M4jorCyn1k

Do you believe in Ghosts?

I'm posting this up for a couple reasons. Firstly, some of the subscribers were chatting about it a little in the Subscribers lounge. Secondly, more importantly, I find it a really interesting question. Interesting because it tells a little about us and our world view. Although I'm a bit anti-social at times I do find people really interesting. What makes them tick etc etc. Also I find it interesting since there are those who believe and those who do not yet we can't both be right can we?

So, do YOU believe in ghosts? Do you?

Personally I do not. I have never had an experience that I would say is even remotely paranormal. At least not anything I can't explain with more rational reasoning. I have though had some strange experiences that could be contrived as something paranormal but in the end I can easily explain away those with tiredness, alcohol or drugs. Yes, I've had my fair share.

The strangest experience I have ever had, closest to anything paranormal, was sleep paralysis. There is nothing I am aware of that can compare ot the terror I felt during those few episodes of sleep paralysis I had. I remeber having it as a child a little but my most recent memory was as an adult around 10 years ago. I was burning the candle at both ends, so to speak, and partying a lot. There were 2 occasions within the space of a week I experienced it. Waking in the middle of the night, laying almost face down, I woke and felt an incredible feeling of terror. The source of this terror was something behind me, out of my field of vision but definitely behind me. The feeling of terror grew and grew and although I had an overwhelming urge to turn around and confront this presence, because I felt a presence, I could not move an inch. Somehow I snapped out of it and went back to sleep but that is the memory of what happened. Now If I was living in medieval times or such I would be convinced there is a demon after me or something, plaguing my dreams, but the reality is I was so tired and mentally exhausted that I 'felt' there was a presence in my room.

Now, before any of you say "how do you know there was no presence in your room" I will answer that sleep paralysis is now a well documented and understood thing.

So, to those who believe in ghosts I have a few questions if you want to answer. If not no worries but just saying you believe in something doesn't make it true

If you believe in ghosts what do you think those ghosts are?

What part of the 'living' us are they?

Are ghosts lost souls?

If you believe ghosts are souls does that mean you are religious in some way or follow a spiritual teaching?

What religion or spiritualism does your soul adhere to?

If you believe ghosts are not souls then what are they?

What about other religious or spiritual followings that have different interpretations for 'the soul'? How do they fit together in your outlook of this as yet unexplained and unconfirmed phenomenon?

If your outlook disagrees with another then which one is correct and why?

Finally, what do you think of the science of psychology and how it interprets these kind things?

Personally I believe in what the science of psychology teaches us. That in stressful situations, when loved ones are involved, when it seems there is no rational explanation for something, we can't process this easily and end up labelling it as something other-worldy or paranormal rather than consider there is actually something unresolved deep inside our minds.

edit: The poll is private btw.
    Last edited by MajorMajor; 3 Weeks Ago at 19:31.

signature picture courtesy of Kwes

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Yes i do. In fact, my house has a ghost believe it or not.

A few years ago we had TAPS come out to investigate our home. They found a few EVP's which were pretty cool.

When we bought our home in 2008, we had no idea that the 16yr old boy who lived here, died in a tragic car accident. The very day we moved in, I noticed things happening.

1. I seen someone walk by the bedroom door when nobody else was home.
    2. Kitchen chair tipped over and fell in the middle of the night.
    3. The garbage can downstairs lifted and dropped while I was watching a movie.
    4. Every night, you can hear door knobs turning and 1 door always opens.
    5. The dryer door opens and closes on it's own.
    6. We sometimes hear loud banging upstairs as if someone is jumping around. This happens when nobody else is home.
    7. Voices. Every once in a while we will hear voice.

The reason why we called TAPS in the first place was because my wife caught a creepy EVP from her cell phone. She was recording my son in the bathroom as she finally taught him to use the potty. When she said "tell daddy" you could immediately hear a voice whisper "good job" in to the phone. My wife noticed this when she played it back and that was the first time I believed that something was in my home.

Here is the link to our investigation. July 9, 2011 - Grain Valley
    http://www.sedaliaghostandparanormal...tigations.html

My favorite is when the ghost uses my Kinect on my XB1. I can literally see the hands on the TV moving around as though something is standing in front of the Kinect. I will ask random questions like, "Can you pause the channel?" And sometimes, you can see the hand move towards the pause button and it will pause. It really creeps my wife out.
    Last edited by Lethal; 3 Weeks Ago at 19:42.

Elite Sage

PSN ID
    Lymphatik
    I don't believe in ghosts, not even in the slightest. My grandmother often goes to this mediums who claim to talk to the dead and I really wish she wouldn't.

Believing in ghosts is akin to believing in the bogey-monster, in my opinion. I'm a natural cynic though!
    i7-3930K | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 16GB Corsair Platinum DDR3 1866Mhz | Custom CPU WC
    6GB EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+ | Corsair AX1200i | ​2560x1440 144Hz Asus Rog Swift | Corsair Obsidian 800D |
    Windows 8.1

500GB PS4 aka DestinyBox

Wibbly Wobbly
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Nah.

CoD Ghosts I do.
    Be Together - Not the same.

Master Sage
    I've experienced sleep paralysis as well. Freaky stuff. They are now making a documentary/movie about it called 'Nightmares'. Check out the trailer. My experience was while paralysed a dead girl appeared in my room and by dead i don't mean gory, just I could see straight through her. She was apparently involved in a car crash and obviously didn't survive. No idea where the crash took place though, she was harmless but I was still quite freaked out with the not being able to move part. Eventually I managed to turn my head and when I looked back she was gone. No going back to sleep after that.

6. Likes MajorMajor likes this post
    Sonata Dusk
    I don't believe in things that aren't real. There's to many logical questions that fall on their ass when you consider ghosts existing. It's just the human mind fabrication fears.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    I've experienced sleep paralysis as well. Freaky stuff. They are now making a documentary/movie about it called 'Nightmares'. Check out the trailer. My experience was while paralysed a dead girl appeared in my room and by dead i don't mean gory, just I could see straight through her. She was apparently involved in a car crash and obviously didn't survive. No idea where the crash took place though, she was harmless but I was still quite freaked out with the not being able to move part. Eventually I managed to turn my head and when I looked back she was gone. No going back to sleep after that.
    My cousin told me about his experience with this, said it cared the $#@! out of him. He woke up and was looking around his room, bathroom to the left and the door exiting the room on the right wall. He saw a black head with white eyes poke out of the bathroom door and stare at him. It than crawled along the floor, barely in sight, making a shuffling sound before leaving the room.

Turns out it was just his dog and his mind was hallucinating. But that didn't stop the event itself from being terrifying.

I may have had an experience with night terror, but I'm really not sure. It was when I was younger, maybe 8-9. I stayed up very late watching a documentary about how ancient Egyptians built the pyramids. When I went to bed I began having these semi-wake-semi-asleep visions of the pyramids and being buried alive. It was extremely horrifying, and it felt like people were standing over me wrapping me up as a mummy. I woke up an hour after going to bed covered in sweat, and stayed up all night because I was too freaked out.

8. Likes MajorMajor likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    I believe Ghosts contributed to the worst lyrics ever.

10. Likes MajorMajor likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    People see things for a number of reasons so i wont say everyones experiences are the thing people call ghosts but im sure there are situations where numerous people see the same thing so sure they could be real.

Media Content Manager
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    This is an opinion, so don't attack me and correct me in a way that you try to push your opinion onto me. I respect yours, please respect mine as well! [this doesn't mean I'm not up for discussions!]

I definitely believe in them.
    I have had some experiences too, like Lethal, except not the same way (whereas my parents build this house here and as far as I know nobody passed away on this ground).

When I was still seated downstairs in my room, I used to have the Playstation (3) attached to the TV in the living room and each night after my parents went to bed I went to play for an hour or 2, took my laptop with me to chat with friends or such.
    From the living room I have a visual on the kitchen (door to the kitchen there) and I often saw some (kind of shadow like?) figures walk by the door or walk through the kitchen from the corners of my eyes as if somebody went to the fridge, took something out and just walked back away.
    These figures didn't just look look a shadow but like, you can still see someone in it and in one of them I honestly recognized my grandfather who passed away a couple of years ago.
    I know that people here will be like 'you were probably just tired or anything and just saw things because you were gaming' but I can assure you that's not the case.

Besides that, there's a picture of both my grandfather (father's side) and grandmother (mother's side) on a shelf in the living room and since I help with cleaning around the house (and you just often look at'm) you know where their 'vast' spot is, so what I often notice is that the pictures have moved and I asked my mom quite a couple of times if anybody did so, but nobody touched'm. And the thoughts like 'maybe it's a truck or wind or something like that' is not relevant because there's nothing that moves when a truck passes by and the wind is irrelevant as the frames are a bit too heavy to be moved by the wind (and they're halfway the living room, we don't have windows that we can open there).
    Besides that, there's the sudden chills that you often hear about when watching/reading about ghost hunters or such, which I often feel in my room or in the living room. Again, there's no windows that can open in the living room, the doors are almost all closed (except for the kitchen door, but the door to the porch and the hall are closed) and there's no way wind can come in there. In my room, yes I can open the window, but every time I felt those chills and checked, my room was closed, my fan was off and there was nothing else that seemed fit to me to do this.
    My mom said she had the same things happen to her as well (and she had some more happen to her in the past where I wasn't born yet).

Sleep paralysis.. I sure know that $#@!ing horrible experience.. Been through it quite a few times, actually..
    For me, a couple that I remember the best are where I woke up, realised I was paralysed and suddenly I saw I huge, big, shadow stand at the door, it was over 2m (6feet?) and it barely fit in my room. This was actually the very first one that I just can't forget.
    Another one that I remember, is that I heard footsteps in the hall and stop at my door, my door opened, nothing walked in visually but the footsteps did. The door closed and I heard the steps walk up to my bed and I felt the presence of something watching me.
    I've had a couple more but can't remember them (and I'm darn glad I can't).

As for the questions that you asked;

If you believe in ghosts what do you think those ghosts are?
    Souls of people that are either restless or have chosen the path of staying around their (living) loved ones to keep an eye out. Or maybe there's a portal (or more portals) where they can come through to 'our world' from 'theirs'? I don't know an answer on that question.

What part of the 'living' us are they?
    Same answer as above here, with the addition of that they're not living, but what I think is inside all of us, a soul.

Are ghosts lost souls?
    Ghosts to me are souls. Lost souls, well, some will be, others won't. Depends on the circumstances of their deaths.
    An example? I do believe somewhere that the ghost (let's just call it ghosts) in Lethal's case would be a restless soul as the kid passed away due to a car accident.

If you believe ghosts are souls does that mean you are religious in some way or follow a spiritual teaching?
    Well, this is honestly a tough question. Why? I'm not really religious.. Technically, I'm Christian (and was baptized as well) but I don't really feel the whole thing nor do anything with/around it.
    Though I do think souls are a legitimate thing. While science can explain how our BODY works, there's no scientific explanation for how 'you are you', if you catch my drift. That's what a soul is, in my eyes. Those things that 'identify' you, not visually but the person that you are, how you are towards others, etc.

What religion or spiritualism does your soul adhere to?
    N/A

If you believe ghosts are not souls then what are they?
    N/A

What about other religious or spiritual followings that have different interpretations for 'the soul'? How do they fit together in your outlook of this as yet unexplained and unconfirmed phenomenon?
    Don't want to sound like a dick, but can you give an example? I think that everybody has gotten their own interpretation of the concept 'the soul'. Religion, in my eyes, is mostly 1 guy believing in something and spreading that word forth to others and from there on it's up to you to either believe in it or not.
    If your outlook disagrees with another then which one is correct and why?
    There's no way to find out I guess. Maybe when we pass we might get an answer of what it actually is? What a soul is, what'll happen to it and whether or not we get a choice or can still come back? Who knows. I do believe in science and I personally am somebody who wants to see something first as legitimate proof to believe something, but there's simply things out there unexplainable throughout science.

Finally, what do you think of the science of psychology and how it interprets these kind things?
    Not entirely sure what you mean with this one.

14. Likes LadyBlack007, Andy, MajorMajor, Lethal likes this post
    Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    I don't in ghosts but i do believe in unexplained forces of nature that can cause things to seem like there are ghosts. Like gravitational anomalies and what not. To think that this planet is perfect with no flaws is out of the question imo. I honestly do believe that has the majority to do with those unexplained forces that cause things to happen. Just my theory.

Like i said in the other thread, i think some people just have stronger mental process that others and their mind constructs a notion that something is a reality when it's not. I.E seeing "ghosts", forces acting on their body. Etc. In no way am i suggesting my theory as absolute but that's the way i look at it. I hope i never do start hearing or seeing things though. I don't need that $#@! in my life.

16. Likes MajorMajor, Shingo likes this post
    Master Sage
    Oh and here is the trailer for those interested, it was called "The Nightmare" not "Nightmares"

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    I believe in our Ghost.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

19. Likes darky89 likes this post
    Selected Members Council
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    I am a believer due to the experiences my mum informed me about when she was younger, my gran also experienced them too along with female visitors that came by the house felt like someone was watching them from the hallway. My gran often felt like their was someone standing at the end of the bed when she would read before sleep, and the day my mum left to move in with my dad she and my gran were sitting in the kitchen and talking when suddenly the door to the hallway and a bedroom slammed shut, not like the wind would close a door but like someone actually slamming the doors themselves.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions but personally after hearing them first hand and watching some pretty hard to explain evidence on Ghost Hunters I believe Ghosts are real!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Twitch ID: http://www.twitch.tv/duffman041986/profile

PSU Direct Email: adam.duffield@psu.com

My Youtube Gaming Channel - Now with commentary: Duffman Gaming

21. Likes Andy likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    I like the idea of ghosts, but i don't believe in them.

I like the idea of them because it adds character to something that would otherwise be pretty boring. However, there is no scientific basis for a "ghost" to exist.

If i accepted ghosts then i would also have to accept magic, religion and a whole host of other things based on human misinterpretation.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

23. Likes PS4freak likes this post
    Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    I believe in our Ghost.
    The ghosts of PSU past?

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    I don't believe ghosts , the souls of dead people staying still. But I believe there are other existence in our world, that we haven't communicated yet or just can't.
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

Stop preordering games! Stop buying day1 games! Stop being idiots!

26. Likes PS4freak likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    M4jorCyn1k
    Cool, thanks people Some good responses and videos to watch. I'll check back and respond properly when I'm home later.

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Ghosts? no
    Aliens etc? yes

X Files assured me of that!

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

PSN ID
    Beefi
    I don#t believe in ghosts, but I like storys about them

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    The ghosts of PSU past?
    http://www.psu.com/forums/member.php/186078-Ghost

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    having experienced something of a $#@!ed up nature years back, in tandem with alot of other people at the same time, i'm inclined to say yes.

Media Content Manager
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    Quote Originally Posted by jj03 View Post
    having experienced something of a $#@!ed up nature years back, in tandem with alot of other people at the same time, i'm inclined to say yes.
    Would you be okay in sharing what you've been through jj? If not, I completely understand

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    M4jorCyn1k
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    I don't believe in things that aren't real...
    Bold statement Nerevar, bold but for the record I am basically of the same opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    I may have had an experience with night terror, but I'm really not sure. It was when I was younger, maybe 8-9. I stayed up very late watching a documentary about how ancient Egyptians built the pyramids. When I went to bed I began having these semi-wake-semi-asleep visions of the pyramids and being buried alive. It was extremely horrifying, and it felt like people were standing over me wrapping me up as a mummy. I woke up an hour after going to bed covered in sweat, and stayed up all night because I was too freaked out.
    I'm not sure but that sounds a little more like lucid-dreaming. That can be pretty freaky too. Had that once, the dream felt real and I mean real!

Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    I believe Ghosts contributed to the worst lyrics ever.
    That, Mynd, is truly one of the worst songs I have ever heard. I could write better lyrics than that sitting on the toilet

Quote Originally Posted by WaxWeazle View Post
    Besides that, there's the sudden chills that you often hear about when watching/reading about ghost hunters or such...
    Fair enough Wax. Everybody has different experiences and that's yours, can't argue with that. I wonder about this part above though. Could you not scare yourself with the thought of ghosts enough to produce a chill?

Sleep paralysis.. I sure know that $#@!ing horrible experience.. Been through it quite a few times, actually..
    Yes they are dam scary. did you watch the trailer Bitbydeath put up? I recommend you do.

While science can explain how our BODY works, there's no scientific explanation for how 'you are you', if you catch my drift. That's what a soul is, in my eyes. Those things that 'identify' you, not visually but the person that you are, how you are towards others, etc.
    This is exactly why I asked the question about psychology. Psychology is the study of the mind and all that entails. This includes things like your personality, your conciousness, your ego and so on. So there is a science that can explain 'you' or how you identify with you, if you catch my drift.

Don't want to sound like a dick, but can you give an example? I think that everybody has gotten their own interpretation of the concept 'the soul'.
    You're not sounding like a dick to me Wax don't worry. It's not like I have this all figured out exactly

Example though: In Buddhism there is a process called Samsara where you are reborn instead of dying. That is, your 'soul' moves from one existence to another. Where and into what you are reborn is determined by Karma or the deeds (good and bad) you have committed during your lifetime. The ultimate ideal is to reach Enlightenment when the cycle of rebirth ceases. Beyond that I'm unsure but that's the basic idea, no heaven or hell or whatever but just the here and now.

Oh and here is the trailer for those interested, it was called "The Nightmare" not "Nightmares"
    Thanks for the youtube link Bitbydeath. I had not heard of that and will definitely be checking it out. Just watching the trailer made me go all goosebumby

Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    If i accepted ghosts then i would also have to accept magic, religion and a whole host of other things based on human misinterpretation.
    Exactly. That's my problem with it all

Quote Originally Posted by 33x View Post
    Ghosts? no
    Aliens etc? yes

X Files assured me of that!
    Aliens! Now that's another thread completely! Agreed though

Quote Originally Posted by jj03 View Post
    Certainly interested to hear If you want to share JJ.

And anyone else has any ghost stories don't let my opinion stop you sharing
    Last edited by MajorMajor; 3 Weeks Ago at 19:07.

Media Content Manager
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorMajor View Post
    Fair enough Wax. Everybody has different experiences and that's yours, can't argue with that. I wonder about this part above though. Could you not scare yourself with the thought of ghosts enough to produce a chill?

Yes they are dam scary. did you watch the trailer Bitbydeath put up? I recommend you do.

This is exactly why I asked the question about psychology. Psychology is the study of the mind and all that entails. This includes things like your personality, your conciousness, your ego and so on. So there is a science that can explain 'you' or how you identify with you, if you catch my drift.

You're not sounding like a dick to me Wax don't worry. It's not like I have this all figured out exactly

Example though: In Buddhism there is a process called Samsara where you are reborn instead of dying. That is, your 'soul' moves from one existence to another. Where and into what you are reborn is determined by Karma or the deeds (good and bad) you have committed during your lifetime. The ultimate ideal is to reach Enlightenment when the cycle of rebirth ceases. Beyond that I'm unsure but that's the basic idea, no heaven or hell or whatever but just the here and now.
    The chill: I understand your thought, but I have to say that it's not just a chill but it's like a really cold wind suddenly passes by you as if winter's right next to you and passes by in 1/2 seconds.
    At least, that's what I felt.

Trailer: Haven't seen the trailer, no, I prefer not to watch trailers but I'll just watch it completely when it's out

Science: You could say that there is a science explaining that ''you're you'', but personally I don't believe that there's an actual explanation for it.. I mean, I haven't ever seen anybody's scientific explanation or such.

Example: As for the example, I honestly can't reply on that as I don't know.

Thread Information