Master Guru

I just realized how truly terrible the cloud storage size is.

Just between two games, FIFA 15 and GTA:V, I'm using over 60% of my cloud storage for the PS4. That really shows just how bad that 1GB storage really is, especially when you're paying for it. Google gives me 17GB, 15GB for OneDrive and Flickr gives me 1TB. All free services.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Then delete the useless large files that is using up your cloud storage. FIFA might be saving replays and such to the cloud.

I have hundreds of game saves stored on the cloud. I make sure to delete all the other crap that gets stored on there.

Master Guru
    Yea, I went through and deleted stuff, but if they're going to have the size be so small, they should give us better cloud storage management options. None of the FIFA saves were videos (I don't even save videos within that game anymore, it's all done via the capture gallery), The minimum file size for anything in that game (including settings) is 20MB (well, 18.88MB). Every other game the minimum is 10.49MB (though you'll have a rare 3.15MB). For some reason, even the Media Player app uploaded a 10.52MB file.

At the moment, I can only let the console automatically upload all the save files, or upload none of them. That's a horrible choice, as the nice thing about cloud storage is that you don't have to worry about manually backing up saves, it will do it for you. What happened to game-specific options like the PS3 had? If you have LittleBigPlanet 3, that's 500MB right there. Why can't someone disable that game but allow other games to automatically upload saved data?

If Sony doesn't want to give unlimited (or even increased) storage to it's subscribers, at least give us options. The one above would be a start, but maybe even add support for Google or Dropbox. If for whatever reason that's another no-no on Sony's list, let our PS4 automatically backup our saves to a connected external HDD/USB stick.

I'll usually defend Sony on things, but 1GB worth of storage, in 2015, to paying subscribers, is sad.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War
    Hey mate you can select games individually to back up.
    Press options in the save data utility and there is an option to back up or not back up that specific game. It is a little hidden compared to how easy it was previous gen.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    I do not upload settings and crap like that. I only upload game saves. Like I said, I literally have over 100 saves uploaded with a lot of storage space left. Most of my saves are 1mb or less. There are some here and there that are like 5mb.

Master Guru
    You can? Well that at least helps a bit. I looked all over for that answer on whether it was on Reddit, GAF, GameFaqs or the official PS forums, the answer I got was all or nothing.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Ok, I just turned my PS4 on to check the sizes.

My PS4 game save files are more like 10mb each.

PS3 saves are 1mb or less.

My GTA5 save is only 10.49mb. My profile is another 10.49mb (PS4)

LBP3 is 15.73mb story save. 15.73mb Profile (PS4)

If you have larger sizes than these, then you are uploading more than 1 save file to the cloud. Go in and look at what all is uploading to the cloud. Manual saves, auto saves, etc. I did have one game that uploaded like 15 save files.
    Last edited by Lethal; 18 Hours Ago at 01:36.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Some games store media files and dlc to the cloud. Singstar being one of them.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal View Post
    Ok, I just turned my PS4 on to check the sizes.

My PS4 game save files are more like 10mb each.

PS3 saves are 1mb or less.

My GTA5 save is only 10.49mb. My profile is another 10.49mb (PS4)

LBP3 is 15.73mb story save. 15.73mb Profile (PS4)

If you have larger sizes than these, then you are uploading more than 1 save file to the cloud. Go in and look at what all is uploading to the cloud. Manual saves, auto saves, etc. I did have one game that uploaded like 15 save files.
    Weird your LBP3 save is so small, I've read of tons of people with the 500MB minimum file for that game (a WWE game also has a 500MB file), perhaps they finally got around to finding a way to make it smaller.

GTA was weird, it uploaded every save I have, plus a (Backup) of every save, making the total amount of GTA saves I have 375MB. It has a PHOTO file in there at 79MB.

It's a bit frustrating with the FIFA stuff because I have so many different saves that are needed, that turning on auto-upload just for that one uses 250MB of the cloud storage. Even if I delete some files, I still have three mantadory 20MB (I want autosave on, as it's saved me with crashes before), four other 20MB files that are required (one for the Catalogue, settings, FUT squad update, and match day squad), and then a minimum of two manual saves for my career. That's still ~180MB.

That's really way too much managing of files. I had to delete a handful of FIFA saves just to turn on auto-upload for that game. I guess the storage might be okay for people who don't mind manually going through and uploading/deleting saves, but it's certainly an awful amount of storage for anyone hoping to utilize the ease of automatic uploads. Cloud storage is certainly one area where the Xbox One blows the PS4 out of the water. Not just unlimited storage for save files, but I believe they allow the uploading of videos as well. Sony really needs to do something, even if it's just letting us do what I mentioned earlier with automatic backup of save files to a USB stick.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    You're also getting games each month. 1gb seems more than enough. If not, you could always your USB drive. Or try overwriting the saves to make up space.

Master Guru
    I don't really think that's a valid excuse. Xbox One gets games every month and has unlimited storage. Then there are the services I mentioned (Google Drive, Dropbox, Microsoft OneDrive, Apple iCloud, to name a few) that give GBs of storage for free (Flickr gives 1TB of free image uploads). Steam is also free to use and gives a set amount of space per game for saves (even for games that were free).

At the very bare minimum, Sony should allow those not utilizing Vita and PS3 storage to use 3GB for the PS4. If we're paying for 3GB of cloud storage, it's pretty weak they don't let us actually use all 3GB on one system. But really, it's 2015 and save files are 20x bigger than what they were the previous generation... 1GB of storage is very outdated.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheller View Post
    If we're paying for 3GB of cloud storage, it's pretty weak they don't let us actually use all 3GB on one system.
    PS+ started with just getting games each month or so. The price of PS+ has not changed, and they added cloud storage later on. So I personally do not think of it as me paying for cloud storage. I think of it as a nice added feature that Sony decided to give PS+ subscribers.

And it's just cloud storage. You can grab a 16gb thumb drive and save all your files if you really wanted to.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal View Post
    PS+ started with just getting games each month or so. The price of PS+ has not changed, and they added cloud storage later on. So I personally do not think of it as me paying for cloud storage. I think of it as a nice added feature that Sony decided to give PS+ subscribers.

And it's just cloud storage. You can grab a 16gb thumb drive and save all your files if you really wanted to.
    But at the same time, when Microsoft decided to give Xbox users cloud storage, they made it unlimited and gave it to all Xbox Live users with zero price attached to it. I get that it's different companies, but it's obvious that Sony is behind the times when it comes to cloud storage. It's one of the top things that people ask for.

I do have a USB stick strictly for game saves and I will occasionally copy files to it. But the nice thing about cloud storage is that it automatically uploads your stuff for you, since they don't want to offer more space it would be nice if they added the ability to have auto-backup's to an external storage device. That would probably solve the "issue" for a lot of people.

Thread Information