Apprentice

Ultra-rare Sony Play Station SNES standalone console spotted & photographed

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...otted-pictured

Ultra-rare Sony PlayStation SNES console spotted, pictured
    What might have been.

By Tom Phillips

A prototype Sony PlayStation SNES - an ultra-rare piece of gaming history - has been discovered and photographed.

The console, never released to the public, only exists in early prototype form.

Only a couple of hundred were known to be manufactured, the result of early plans for Nintendo and Sony to team-up on a version of the Super Nintendo Entertainment system with a CD-ROM drive.

But the plans fell through - famously, Nintendo opted to partner with Philips instead. And while that deal faltered, Sony continued with the development of its CD-compatible PlayStation as a separate device.

The photographs below show the console prototype with its CD-ROM drive, plus ports for both SNES cartridges and controllers.

Each pad is labelled with the Sony PlayStation branding on the front, but with a Nintendo Super Famicom Controller logo on the back.

The images appeared on Reddit yesterday (thanks, Nintendo Life). The user claimed that the console was discovered in a box of items received from a friend of his father who used to work at Nintendo around the time that the Nintendo-Sony deal was being discussed.

Here it is, in all its yellowing glory:

Last edited by parallax scroll; 4 Weeks Ago at 19:33.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    did a research paper on this fall out between sony and nintendo

Apprentice

Note: There were three main distinct forms of the SNES CD. Two of them were strictly 16-Bit (Sony's and then Philips'). The final one was 32-Bit, a joint effort between all 3 companies. That one included the co-processor cartridge.

So the one we're looking at today is the 16-Bit Sony effort, previously only seen as a mock-up:

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    the earlier designs for the snes cd add on were much better than whats shown here. svelt allround design, with eject tray and open/close buttons on the front and that was it. phillips designs have always been fugly. see their 3do efforts. absolutely minging.

Apprentice

The Sony add-on CD-ROM unit:

Mock-up of the joint Philips-Sony-Nintendo CD-ROM and 32-bit system cartridge:

Last edited by parallax scroll; 4 Weeks Ago at 15:54.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    I remember hearing about Sony and Nintendo teaming up to make a console, but to actually see it is kind of amazing. I know they're making a documentary or movie on the Nintendo/Sony split-up and it's starring Seth Rogen.

Master Guru
    Is that the thing Sony was making with Nintendo, but then on the same day that Sony revealed that, Nintendo revealed something similar that they worked on with Philips behind Sony's back?

I wonder if Nintendo ever stops and thinks about whether or not that was a poor decision. Not only did they end up looking untrustworthy, but it probably made Squaresoft's move from Nintendo to Sony that much easier.

Apprentice

Quick and simplified rundown on what was going on at the time:

1988: Nintendo and Sony sign a deal for a CD-ROM expansion for the still very much in-development Super Famicom (SNES).

1990: The Super Famicom is released in Japan in November.

1991: At the Summer Consumer Electronics Show in Chicago, Nintendo signs a deal with Sony's main rival Philips to produce a CD-i compatible CD system for SNES. Sony is understandably outraged by this.

SNES is released in the U.S. in August.

1992: Nintendo announces it will design a 32-bit SNES CD system add-on with both Philips *and* Sony.

1993: Nintendo ends all work on the SNES CD system and soon after announces partnership with Silicon Graphics for a completely new 64-Bit system, Project Reality, later named Ultra 64 and finally renamed again and released as Nintendo 64 in 1996 some 3 years after Project Reality was announced.

All the while Sony is secretly developing its own 32-Bit 3D console of its own without Nintendo, the PS-X (the first PlayStation).

1994: PlayStation launches in Japan in December.

1995: PlayStation launches in the western world.

Nintendo pissed off the wrong company.

Greatness Awaits.
    Last edited by parallax scroll; 4 Weeks Ago at 17:55.

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    Here's the thing tough, would Sony's add on have sold nearly as much as the PS1? I kind of doubt it. It's funny how things like this happen and because of that we all see Sony now and they're huge. Sure they have stumbled and have almost fallin to the depths of not looking so good, but now they are rising back up from a pretty big fall. It really shows you the strength of Sony. They're quite strong.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    Here's the thing tough, would Sony's add on have sold nearly as much as the PS1? I kind of doubt it. It's funny how things like this happen and because of that we all see Sony now and they're huge. Sure they have stumbled and have almost fallin to the depths of not looking so good, but now they are rising back up from a pretty big fall. It really shows you the strength of Sony. They're quite strong.
    What fall? You mean PS3? You consider that a fall? Let alone a BIG fall?

Apprentice

The guy who owns it posted a video:

Master Guru
    This ad for Final Finatasy was pretty good. Square was mostly a Nintendo company, but once Sony decided to release their own system, Wikipedia only lists two games published by them that ended up on a Nintendo system (both on the Game Boy Advance). That had to feel bad, knowing you lost the developer/publisher of some of the best games of that era.

Quote Originally Posted by KungMartin90 View Post
    Yea, PS3 was hardly a fall. It came into the generation late and overpriced, but by the end of that generation, most would say the PS3 was the "winner". It could probably be argued that Sony as a whole almost fell into the depths, but the PlayStation brand, no.

Apprentice

Polygon has an interview up with the owner.

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    In terms of profit, you bet I do. But I wouldn't really consider that completely on the PS3, but when it launch Sony lost A LOT of money off that console. You can't deny or argue that and they lost more than enough to NOT be considered normal. But it wasn't just the PS3, it was other departments as well, Sony lost a lot of money and more so to make things pretty uncomfortable. I mean, they could have had at least $5 billion in losses for the next 10 years and then I do believe they would've been in trouble. But from before the PS3 came out, yes I do think they fell quite a bit. Right now they are getting back up.

Dedicated Member
    lol This was the biggest and best mistake Nintendo has made. Thank you Nintendo, your poor decision was instrumental in creating the greatest brand in gaming history.

I remember when I was reaching puberty at the time when the PSX and N64 were about to release. I say that the N64 was still using cartridges while I was still playing my SNES and Genesis, the my bro bought the PSX when it released and the rest is history.

I bought my PSX after playing my bro's in summer 1996 and never looked back.

17. Likes Bigdoggy likes this post
    Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by parallax scroll View Post
    Quick and simplified rundown on what was going on at the time:

1988: Nintendo and Sony sign a deal for a CD-ROM expansion for the still very much in-development Super Famicom (SNES).

1990: The Super Famicom is released in Japan in November.

1991: At the Summer Consumer Electronics Show in Chicago, Nintendo signs a deal with Sony's main rival Philips to produce a CD-i compatible CD system for SNES. Sony is understandably outraged by this.

SNES is released in the U.S. in August.

1992: Nintendo announces it will design a 32-bit SNES CD system add-on with both Philips *and* Sony.

1993: Nintendo ends all work on the SNES CD system and soon after announces partnership with Silicon Graphics for a completely new 64-Bit system, Project Reality, later named Ultra 64 and finally renamed again and released as Nintendo 64 in 1996 some 3 years after Project Reality was announced.

All the while Sony is secretly developing its own 32-Bit 3D console of its own without Nintendo, the PS-X (the first PlayStation).

1994: PlayStation launches in Japan in December.

1995: PlayStation launches in the western world.

Nintendo pissed off the wrong company.

Greatness Awaits.
    Wow, I knew Nintendo $#@!ed them over, but I didn't think they would go behind their backs like that. And PS1 was 32-bit, but N64 64-bit? Then how is it that the games looked and ran better on PS1?! HA!

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
    Wow, I knew Nintendo $#@!ed them over, but I didn't think they would go behind their backs like that. And PS1 was 32-bit, but N64 64-bit? Then how is it that the games looked and ran better on PS1?! HA!
    Nintendo 64 games did not look better than PS1 games just because N64 was 64-Bit. By this time, "bits" were becoming meaningless. It was far more about the capability of graphics chips for 3D. The PS1 still pushed more polygons than N64, but N64 had a wide range of graphical features from SGI that the PS1 simply did not have.

Another example: Sega's Model 3 arcade board introduced in 1996 with Virtua Fighter 3. This hardware had a 64-Bit CPU, but it pushed around 10 times more polys than N64 did since Model 3 had two VERY powerful workstation-class GPUs pushing 750,000 fully featured polys/sec EACH. Plus a large amount of VRAM.

But now I'm going off topic. As for Nintendo's 32-Bit version of the SNES CD, yeah it would've been powerful but not designed for 3D graphics. It would probably have been somewhere inbetween the Sega CD+Genesis, and 3DO, but not as powerful as Sega's 32X, nevermind Saturn or PS1. In the end, Nintendo canceled it and went with an entirely new system.

Dedicated Member
    I remember the N64 could not do FMV, which was a major reason Square put FFVII on the PSX instead and why third parties started to leave Nintendo.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    Stupid Nintendo. Now, we would be playing Super Mario on Playstation!

CPU: I7 3820-GPU: Asus Gtx 980 4GB-Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79-HDD: Seagate 2TB-CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X-TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000-PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD-PS3 Slim 750GB-PS VITA 32GB.

22. Likes Lebowski likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    Btw why is this in the E3 section?

Selected Members Council
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Btw why is this in the E3 section?
    Noted and moved

Saw this on Twitter the other day, would have been interesting to see just how well the concept would have sold!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Twitch ID: Duffman041986

PSU Direct Email: adam.duffield@psu.com

My Youtube Gaming Channel - Now with commentary: Duffman Gaming

Apprentice

Thanks for moving the thread.

high-res pic of the SNES PlayStation mockup

Dedicated Member
    Items Final Fantasy IVAtlus
    Would been interesting what the world would be like today if Sony and Nintendo kept their partnership.
    Playing - Danganronpa 1 then i'll play 2(Vita), Samurai Warriors 4 (PS3)
    Support Xenosaga HD by clicking the link below and sign the petition!
    https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition...lobal_Release/

Thread Information