Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from VyseColeBattlefield 3

I need help with PC parts

I want to purchase few PC parts and upgrade my current PC. I got confused with the motherboard. My friend he has introduced me to this motherboard ASUS X99-DELUXE/U3.1, Socket 2011-v3 and it cost 509. I came across this motherboard ASUS X99-PRO/USB 3.1, Socket 2011-v3 and cost less money which is 414. I don't do any crazy stuff and nor the sli things I have one GPU GTX 980. I want to get the CPU i7-5930K. Is it compatible with this motherboard? If anyone knows better motherboard cost less please provide names and I will keep an eye on them and might go on sale.

CPU: I7 3820-GPU: Asus Gtx 980 4GB-Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79-HDD: Seagate 2TB-CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X-TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000-PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD-PS3 Slim 750GB-PS VITA 32GB.

Forum Sage
    Not sure why you are fixating on socket 2011 systems when they offer no real advantage over 1155 systems. (especially for gaming)

However, here is a cheaper option:

usb 3.0:

http://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-x99-...01725-1918.htm

usb 3.1:

http://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-x99-...-97-107945.htm

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    I think Linus did a video on some huge CPU's that did absolutely nothing for gaming. So far from what I've heard there are some games that do take advantage of AMD's FX 8350 or FX series and in the future it seems more games will take advantage of that. Since we aren't that far ahead, just a quad would work I think. Although I've never had a problem skimping on my CPU while getting a beefy GPU which has worked out for me before, but that was awhile back and I don't know with all this new stuff how it would be effected.

Elite Sage

PSN ID
    Lymphatik
    Yep. The 5930K should be a 2011 V3 socket.

I would say get the Asus Rampage Extreme board. I have the IV and it was a dream to overclock on. I got my 3930K up to 4.7Ghz but I've now got it at 3.6 as nothing ever stresses it and it draws less power/runs quieter.
    PC: i7-3930K | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3
    EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+ | Corsair AX1200i | RoG Swift | Corsair Obsidian 800D

Watercooling: EK-Bay Spin Reservoir | EKWB Supremacy | EKWB Titan X Acetal+Nickel
    360mm + 120mm Radiators | Liang D5 pump | Primochill tubing | Barrow Fittings

500GB Black PS4

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon_Filter View Post
    I want to purchase few PC parts and upgrade my current PC. I got confused with the motherboard. My friend he has introduced me to this motherboard ASUS X99-DELUXE/U3.1, Socket 2011-v3 and it cost 509. I came across this motherboard ASUS X99-PRO/USB 3.1, Socket 2011-v3 and cost less money which is 414. I don't do any crazy stuff and nor the sli things I have one GPU GTX 980. I want to get the CPU i7-5930K. Is it compatible with this motherboard? If anyone knows better motherboard cost less please provide names and I will keep an eye on them and might go on sale.
    If you're not going to do anything crazy with it, why would you get a i7 5930K?

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from VyseColeBattlefield 3
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Not sure why you are fixating on socket 2011 systems when they offer no real advantage over 1155 systems. (especially for gaming)

However, here is a cheaper option:

usb 3.0:

http://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-x99-...01725-1918.htm

usb 3.1:

http://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-x99-...-97-107945.htm
    Oh dam! I didn't no that. I thought the socket 2011 is the best for gaming as the only higher cpu can take. The other once wasn't accepting cpus such as I7. Beside playing games I have some other programs like video editing and so on. That's why my goal is to get this cpu that it has 6 cores.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    I think Linus did a video on some huge CPU's that did absolutely nothing for gaming. So far from what I've heard there are some games that do take advantage of AMD's FX 8350 or FX series and in the future it seems more games will take advantage of that. Since we aren't that far ahead, just a quad would work I think. Although I've never had a problem skimping on my CPU while getting a beefy GPU which has worked out for me before, but that was awhile back and I don't know with all this new stuff how it would be effected.
    Thanks for the advice. I will look more into that and I want to have a good cpu that will survive for some time and not to have a slow pc not only for games.

Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    Yep. The 5930K should be a 2011 V3 socket.

I would say get the Asus Rampage Extreme board. I have the IV and it was a dream to overclock on. I got my 3930K up to 4.7Ghz but I've now got it at 3.6 as nothing ever stresses it and it draws less power/runs quieter.
    For sure I will get an Asus motherboard this time and I like their product. Yeah, that cpu is great and for me it will be very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    If you're not going to do anything crazy with it, why would you get a i7 5930K?
    I want to have a good pc that will survive for long time and my last built was in the summer of 2012. Plus I have other programs that requires to have good cpu when working on video editing or recording. That's why I always buy good pc parts and not to have headache for 3 or 4 years.

CPU: I7 3820-GPU: Asus Gtx 980 4GB-Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79-HDD: Seagate 2TB-CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X-TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000-PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD-PS3 Slim 750GB-PS VITA 32GB.

Master Guru
    yea, but the good thing about just going with an i5 right now which will be just perfect for gaming. If you do decide to upgrade the CPU to another of the same socket, you shouldn't have a problem at all. That's why right now I'm waiting until AMD hits there AM4's, I want to see what's going on with that. Normally I would have just went with a FX-8320 (which is AM3+ and a R9 280x which is just fine for gaming, but because the AM4's are coming out, I may wait to jump on that because if they upgrade it for another CPU, the AM4 will still support it.

Thread Information