Page 1 of 5 1 ... LastLast
    Elite Sage

PSN ID
    Lymphatik

Fat people: Should they pay more?

I'll start this off. I'm 5' 11'' and 13 stone (182 pounds). I'm relatively active but by no means in shape.

Last night I went to an All-You-Can-Eat meal with my girlfriend and I noticed that there was an abundance of overweight people. Like, lots of them. And I got annoyed. My annoyance was this - Why should I pay the same price as someone who is clearly going to be eating substantially more than me? I argued that they should have to pay more as chances are they'll consume more. At this restaurant they say after you're a certain you're an adult as you'll eat more, so why not for width?

It then went further and I said I felt like they should pay more for clothes as well as aeroplane tickets because they weigh more and will use more energy to move them from point A to B. Plus why should someone who is small pay the same price for clothes when they use much less material than someone who is large? Is that really fair?

I wont deny it. I'm ignorant. I understand that *some* people do put on weight easier than others but I do feel that is just an excuse. If you burn off more calories than you intake you'll lose weight. Simple. I can't help but feel being fat is pretty much a life style choice as they are choosing not to exercise. In short I think it's their own fault and problem they are not trying to live a healthy life style.

My girlfriend then told me I was wrong and that doing that would be pure discrimination so it would never happen. I can see that it is discrimination but I don't think it's the same as discriminating someone for the colour of the skin, religion or sexual orientation. Those qualities make you who you are. Being fat doesn't.

Just my opinion. But I wanted to hear some other opinions on it to see if I'm alone on the matter or if people agree.
    PC: i7-3930K | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3
    EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+ | Corsair AX1200i | RoG Swift | Corsair Obsidian 800D

Watercooling: EK-Bay Spin Reservoir | EKWB Supremacy | EKWB Titan X Acetal+Nickel
    360mm + 120mm Radiators | Liang D5 pump | Primochill tubing | Barrow Fittings

500GB Black PS4

Selected Members Council
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    The way you have to look at it though is for example you game more so should you have to pay more for them? People who drive a lot should they be paying more for fuel? People who hit the gym more often should they pay a bigger monthly fee just because they are there more often?

I can see what you are saying but you can't have a rule like that for one thing and not many others, that's the way I see it anyway.....
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Twitch ID: Duffman041986

PSU Direct Email: adam.duffield@psu.com

My Youtube Gaming Channel - Now with commentary: Duffman Gaming

Elite Sage

PSN ID
    Lymphatik
    I disagree with your points.

My game time be it 1 hour or 1000 hours doesn't effect the cost for the production of a game.

If I drive more than someone else's I will already be paying more tax on my petrol than someone who only drives a little bit.

Whereas it will take more every - or fuel in this case - to move their heavier body.

You have 2 people on a return flight. One weighs 10 stone the other weighs 20 stone. The fuel used to move the heavier person would need to be pretty much double the energy required to move the lighter person
    A gym membership is often a cheaper way to do it rather than s PAYG gym. It costs 4 a go to enter my gym or 15 a month.

TapaTalking from my Mind.

Watercooling: EK-Bay Spin Reservoir | EKWB Supremacy | EKWB Titan X Acetal+Nickel

500GB Black PS4

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Arguments in this day and age regarding anything remotely socially sensitive generally incur backlash. It's a shame. Because under the protection of Social equality, Obese people get fatter, and the problem doesn't go away.

There should definitely be things Obese people should have to pay more for however. Plane tickets for sure, are one of them. Obese people pay more for the fuel in their car. Why is a plane any different?

Smoking was once widely considered a social right, governments stepped in, introduced regulations, and made it difficult for smokers. As a result of this in the UK, the percentage of the population who smoke has dropped:

Being Obese is just as bad for your health, coddling Obese people seems like the most backward logic ever since Obesity is a lifestyle choice. They weren't born fat. They can choose to not eat 1000 Twinkies and instead go for a walk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    The way you have to look at it though is for example you game more so should you have to pay more for them? People who drive a lot should they be paying more for fuel? People who hit the gym more often should they pay a bigger monthly fee just because they are there more often?

I can see what you are saying but you can't have a rule like that for one thing and not many others, that's the way I see it anyway.....
    If you do drive a lot though, you do pay more for fuel

Should point out, people should consider this a topic of equality vs equity. No one should resort to personal insults, and/or shaming.
    Arguments can be formed without degrading to that!

Here's a visual representation of what that means for anyone curious:

Last edited by Fijiandoce; 1 Day Ago at 13:49.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

5. Likes BBK.. likes this post
    Selected Members Council
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    The point still is though just because some people consume more than others doesn't mean they should pay more for it!

My point with the fuel is say I drive 100 miles every day and you only drive 50, shouldn't that mean that because I consume more of it I should be paying 2 per litre at the pump where as you only pay 1.50?

I drink more Dr Pepper than quite a few people, does that mean I should pay 1 a can rather than 50p because I consume more of it than other people do?

Elite Sage

PSN ID
    Lymphatik
    As always Fiji makes the point I'm trying to say much more logical. It just annoyed me last night that I wasn't getting my moneys worth and it sent me on a long tirade about why it isn't fair fat/obese people get to pay the same price.

@Duff

But you're paying extra tax on petrol and you're also paying extra tax on those sugary drinks so in a way, you are paying more than someone else.

I download at least 300GB+ a month of data. Do you think it would be fair for someone to pay the same internet cost as me if they only downloaded 30GB?

500GB Black PS4

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    so what do you consider obese. According to a BMI scale, your looking at weight, mass, activity. You could have a person that weighs more because of the muscle he has, but the same person that weighs the same without that muscle mass is considered overweight or obese. So according to how you're looking at this, even a person that weighs a lot because of muscle should pay more for airplane tickets, bigger shirts, etc etc.

Selected Members Council
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    As always Fiji makes the point I'm trying to say much more logical. It just annoyed me last night that I wasn't getting my moneys worth and it sent me on a long tirade about why it isn't fair fat/obese people get to pay the same price.
    That's what the doggy bag was invented for

Elite Sage

PSN ID
    Lymphatik
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    so what do you consider obese. According to a BMI scale, your looking at weight, mass, activity. You could have a person that weighs more because of the muscle he has, but the same person that weighs the same without that muscle mass is considered overweight or obese. So according to how you're looking at this, even a person that weighs a lot because of muscle should pay more for airplane tickets, bigger shirts, etc etc.
    You're right, and they absolutely should.

If you're shirt uses more material to make, why should it cost the same as one which uses far less?

500GB Black PS4

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    My point with the fuel is say I drive 100 miles every day and you only drive 50, shouldn't that mean that because I consume more of it I should be paying 2 per litre at the pump where as you only pay 1.50?
    But you've had to pay for 100 miles worth of fuel to begin with. I only needed to pay for 50 miles worth of feul.

At $2 a litre, I've only paid $100, however, you ended up paying $200

To further that, if we both drive back.

I would have paid $200 in fuel for my round journey. You would have paid $400 since your drove more.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    There was a thing in the UK looking at this a few weeks ago (i can't recall, i think it was on BBC). It made suggestions on more correctly calculating the mass of a person.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Selected Members Council
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    @Duff

But you're paying extra tax on petrol and you're also paying extra tax on those sugary drinks so in a way, you are paying more than someone else.

I download at least 300GB+ a month of data. Do you think it would be fair for someone to pay the same internet cost as me if they only downloaded 30GB?
    That's life though, somewhere in the world there will always be someone paying less for something you enjoy because of many different variables in different countries, exchange rates etc

So if you are prepared to think people being fat and eating more food but still paying the same as you is unfair then isn't everything else you are paying the same as some other people also unfair because someone somewhere else is getting it cheaper?

I am basing my opinion on this country alone not any others..........

Elite Sage

PSN ID
    Lymphatik
    But I'm not conerned about someone elsewhere in the world. I'm concerned about the person in the same restaurant as me paying the same price and getting much more. I'm concerned about someone on the same flight as me who absolutely will​ cost more to move paying the same price as me. I'm pretty much paying a premium to lug their fat ass about.

Flight tickets are worked out on an average weight for cost of fuel or whatever. If someone is above the average weight and someone is bellow the average weight, who do you think gets the raw deal?

It's the same as when you pay for additional luggage. If I was to go on a cheap EasyJet flight I would have to pay extra for 25KG of luggage. But if someone was 25KG heavier than me they don't have to pay any extra for their seat.
    Last edited by BBK..; 1 Day Ago at 14:20.

500GB Black PS4

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    That seems some kind of racism to me. Being fat not %100 percent up to the person, genetics buffs it. I have lost tons of hair my haircut takes 15 minutes at most, yet I never made a problem about it. go pay double price next time you are in a haircut please, if you have lots of hair unlike me.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

Stop preordering games! Stop buying day1 games! Stop being idiots!

Elite Sage

PSN ID
    Lymphatik
    Sorry Shingo but being fat is 100% down to the person. You're not born fat. If you eat more calories than you burn off on a daily basis, you'll be fat. Plain and simple. Yes, some peoples bodies do have a tendency to put weight on faster than others, but that doesn't give them a free pass to be overweight. Comparing being fat to racism is laughable.

Go find me some evidence of overweight wild animals (I don't mean blubber that seals, sea lions and walrus' have)

500GB Black PS4

Selected Members Council
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Okay let me put it another way, do you feel like it about fat people only?

What if I was sitting next to you and although we are both paying the same money I drunk more beer that you? Or I got one more PC game than you did even though we paid the same price?

Elite Sage

PSN ID
    Lymphatik
    But what is the reason for you getting more beer/another game? Am I paying a premium to fund your extras over myself?

500GB Black PS4

Selected Members Council
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    But what is the reason for you getting more beer/another game? Am I paying a premium to fund your extras over myself?
    But if we are both paying the same price how are you funding my extra's? If you where doing that surely you would be paying more than me?

Elite Sage

PSN ID
    Lymphatik
    As I said with flights. They work out an average weight and base their price off of that. If I am under that average weight and you are over that average weight that means I am paying more to subsidize you.

500GB Black PS4

Selected Members Council
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    As I said with flights. They work out an average weight and base their price off of that. If I am under that average weight and you are over that average weight that means I am paying more to subsidize you.
    Now I agree with you there that isn't fair, why should I have to pay extra just because they are heavier than I am, same with tax funding people without jobs, why should I fund them if they are too lazy to go out and get one!

I was going off the same price of the argument in the beginning

Elite Sage

PSN ID
    Lymphatik
    Exactly!

Don't get me wrong. I know it'll never happen and it's mostly a tirade that I have against people when I think I've been wronged

500GB Black PS4

Selected Members Council
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    When it comes to paying taxes to support other people I always think I've been wronged

Administrator and Visionary
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Interesting subject. In some instances I agree, in others not. Plane tickets and things like that, yeah, they should pay more. At an all you can eat buffet, not so much...after all that is a variable example. You can't really argue variables in a plane; the aircraft can carry so much, the passengers individually weigh so much, it's measurable. Eating though, an obese and a skinny person could eat the same, or the skinny person more, or the obese person more.

Dedicated Member
    It just annoyed me last night that I wasn't getting my moneys worth...
    Was your belly full? If so I'd wager you got your money's worth. This is really one of those 1st world problems

I can see where this may go. Ultimately I hope we NEVER lose the NHS in this country (UK) no matter how many smokers or fatties we have. Those problems are social/mental problems and should be addressed as such. Remember BBK all those fatties you saw the other night are probably going to die early from a heart attack because their arteries are all clogged up.

That's not how broadband deals work in this counrty though, I'm sure you know that If they are on a large bandwidth/unlimited data deal then what does it matter? If they need more data get a better deal!

As for plane tickets, no, I don't think big people should pay more. That's taking it a little far IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by K2D View Post
    If anyone are to be penalized, it has to be the corporations that fuel unhealthy consumption. You can argue that they are the ones that do real damage. They justify their mean with "rights", freedom, and "answering the consumer demand" (load of bull$#@! by the way).
    Last edited by MajorMajor; 1 Day Ago at 16:01.

25. Likes BBK.. likes this post
    Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    If anyone are to be penalized, it has to be the corporations that fuel unhealthy consumption. You can argue that they are the ones that do real damage. They justify their mean with "rights", freedom, and "answering the consumer demand" (load of bull$#@! by the way).

27. Likes MajorMajor likes this post
    Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    djpenny1
    did you know skinny people eat way more then fat people

Thread Information