Forum Sage

Gears of War & Shadow Complex Added to Xbox 360 Backward Compatibility

Xbox gamers, rejoice. Shadow Complex is now available. I've already downloaded and started playing.

When the Xbox One rolled out, gamers said that Microsoft’s latest console outing would help to herald in the end of the backward compatible era. While the PS3 and 360 both featured backward compatibility in some form, the Xbox One and PS4 would only concentrate on the current gen, leaving fans to rely on their last gen consoles to play 360 and PS3 games.

But at E3 2015, Microsoft announced that the Xbox One would be getting backward compatibility for 360 games. This announcement was met with shock, with many fans assuming the hardware for the Xbox One simply prevented the system from playing last gen games, but the Xbox team had managed a workaround and promised a slew of games were to be supported by the new backward compatibility feature.Since the announcement, Microsoft rolled out a small selection of backwards compatible games on June 15th for Xbox Preview members, with games such as Super Meat Boy, Mass Effect, and Alien Hominid getting brought over to the Xbox One. But the initial roll out is only a taste of things to come, with Microsoft promising many more games coming.
    While fans have argued about what 360 games should be brought over to the Xbox One, Xbox’s Director of Programming Larry Hryb (a.k.a. Major Nelson) took to Twitter to announce that Epic Games’ Gears of War and militaristic Metroidvania Xbox Live Arcade title Shadow Complex were now available to Xbox One Preview Members to play on Xbox One.

The Gears of War announcement comes as no surprise, as Microsoft has announced that the upcoming remake Gears of War: Ultimate Edition will come packaged with the entire Gears of War series as a bonus for fans who purchase the title between August 25th and December 31st. Shadow Complex, however, comes as a pleasant surprise. The title received rave reviews upon release, and has gone on to become something of a cult game among fans.
    Bringing these titles to Xbox One is quiet easy, with Gears of War requiring a simply download from the disc, while Shadow Complex will show up under “Ready to Download” if the gaming profile on the Xbox One previously purchased the game for 360.
    With the release of Gears of War: Ultimate Edition right around the corner, it’s never been a better time to dust off the old Lancer and tear through some Locust on the original Gears of War. Furthermore, with a sequel for Shadow Complex long rumored, fire up the original and see how one of Xbox Live Arcade’s best titles has aged. Microsoft has promised more backwards compatible games down the line, but these two titles show that Microsoft is working to get some of the 360’s best games playable on the Xbox One.

2. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Down Under
    Yes I noticed

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    I'm in the preview so I'll check it out. Elder Scrolls online has been keeping me very busy.

Thread Information