Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran

Dragon Quest XI first screenshots are absolutely gorgeous!!!

Square Enix has released the first screenshots of Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time following its announcement late last month.

If you missed it, we posted an interview with series creator Yuji Horii here, who discusses the game’s theme, logo, and more.

Source

Oh my god, both versions of the game look gorgeous! I want this game right now!
    Last edited by Vyse; 2 Weeks Ago at 19:36.
    Thanks to Sylar for the signature!

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Damn, this game looks fantastic so far. The mix of cel-shaded characters on more realistic environments is pretty striking. And this just looks like a game world that will be a joy to simply walk around in, which is crucial for a genre (RPG) that involves a lot of walking around. lol
    http://www.psu.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8141&dateline=1432946  501

3. Likes Vyse likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    I'm impressed with both versions. Even the 3DS version of Dragon Quest XI looks better than the Dragon Quest VIII port on the same platform.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal King Slime View Post
    I'm impressed with both versions. Even the 3DS version of Dragon Quest XI looks better than the Dragon Quest VIII port on the same platform.
    Has there been a 3DS game yet that allows you to play both a 2D version and 3D version at once? That's pretty cool for those into that. I'm not a handheld gaming guy though.
    http://www.psu.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8141&dateline=1432946  501

Looks great. The power of the PS4.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Game looking that great with turn based combat is such a sad thing to see.

8. Likes DarkNemesis likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    There's nothing sad about a video game series continuing to offer what makes its fans happy.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Not only does Dragon Quest Heroes offer real-time action combat for those who want that, but fully turn-based combat will actually be pretty unique within the current AAA RPG landscape. I like how this series is embracing what keeps it distinct in this day and age.

Also, turn-based combat has its advantages. Obviously it allows for more thought and planning, plus your character growth is more easily enjoyed. Since attacks aren't happening as frequently, you can more clearly see the differences.

11. Likes Vyse likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Also worth mentioning is the fact that there are no random battles in Dragon Quest XI. They already did this in Dragon Quest IX but for those who last played Dragon Quest VIII, it's still a worthwhile improvement that doesn't sacrifice what makes the main series enjoyable.
    Last edited by Vyse; 2 Weeks Ago at 19:45.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Also, there's speculation that the PS4 version doesn't have screen transitions for battles. You think that's the case, MKS?

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style
    I can't wait for this game to be released!!

3DS: 4613-6960-4293

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Wow! The environment in the game looks amazing. As well as the character models.

Dedicated Member
    Right, a shame and not all fans are happy such as myself.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Not only does Dragon Quest Heroes offer real-time action combat for those who want that, but fully turn-based combat will actually be pretty unique within the current AAA RPG landscape. I like how this series is embracing what keeps it distinct in this day and age.

Also, turn-based combat has its advantages. Obviously it allows for more thought and planning, plus your character growth is more easily enjoyed. Since attacks aren't happening as frequently, you can more clearly see the differences.
    I don't know why people keep saying the bold when DQ heroes is not a real RPG game.It's a repetitive hack and slash game like Dynasty Warriors and I hate Musou games.I prefer Witcher/Zelda/Dark Cloud combat,which is easier to do with the consoles today and much better than turn based.

Dedicated Member
    Items Final Fantasy IVAtlus
    Quite happy that they trying to utilize different capabilities with both the PS4 and the 3DS. Need more turned based games now days.
    Playing - Danganronpa 1 then i'll play 2(Vita), Samurai Warriors 4 (PS3)
    Support Xenosaga HD by clicking the link below and sign the petition!
    https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition...lobal_Release/

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkNemesis View Post
    I don't know why people keep saying the bold when DQ heroes is not a real RPG game.It's a repetitive hack and slash game like Dynasty Warriors and I hate Musou games.I prefer Witcher/Zelda/Dark Cloud combat,which is easier to do with the consoles today and much better than turn based.
    They can't please everyone. It's not like turn-based combat is objectively worse than real-time combat and it's not like a ton of people aren't excited about turn-based combat. Go over on NeoGaf and you'll see everyone drooling over that battle screenshot. lol

As for Dragon Quest Heroes, I personally feel the same way. I'm not of fan of the Dynasty Warriors style either. I might give it a shot though. After watching some gameplay, it does seem to have more RPG elements than I expected.

Forum Overseer

wtf lol, MKS made a thread with, not one but 3 exclaimation marks? lol weird.

and yes, they do look gorgeous. now, show us how good the gameplay is. that's what i really want.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Also, there's speculation that the PS4 version doesn't have screen transitions for battles. You think that's the case, MKS?
    Well, in Dragon Quest IX, you would bump into one monster and after the quick screen transition, more monsters would appear in the battle phase. After the battle ended, the monsters roaming the map would disappear/reset somewhere else.

But in the last screenshot, you'll see two Drackies in the background, possibly frozen as part of the scenery until the battle ends. In the first screenshot, there are eight monsters in close proximity of each other. So I guess it's possible that the team working on the PS4 version for Dragon Quest XI have done away with the usual programming while keeping the turn-based combat intact.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkNemesis View Post
    Unless you've played Dragon Quest Heroes for yourself, you can't say for certain that the game is disappointing. I've posted positive previews/reviews of the game in my official thread that say Dragon Quest Heroes does have strategic and role-playing elements. But I guess it's easier for you to write something off like all of the "cool kids" do instead of admitting you might be wrong.

Oh, and Zelda isn't a role-playing game -- it's simply action-adventure. For someone who claims to know what real role-playing games are, you should know better.
    Last edited by Vyse; 1 Week Ago at 22:22.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar View Post
    wtf lol, MKS made a thread with, not one but 3 exclaimation marks? lol weird.

and yes, they do look gorgeous. now, show us how good the gameplay is. that's what i really want.
    I think we'll have to wait until the Tokyo Game Show in September for a proper trailer. Personally, I wonder what the story will be like this time around. Dragon Quest IX had you playing as an angel helping humans and I think Dragon Quest X dealt with time travel. But having party members central to the plot like in Dragon Quest VIII (and older titles) would be a nice bonus to the overall experience.

It's almost non-existent nowadays. It hardly hurts to have a few games still doing it.

Ultimate Veteran
    There are plenty of Japanese action-RPGs but no one in the West really pays attention to them so I don't believe getting rid of the turn-based gameplay in Dragon Quest XI would be a good thing.

I don't think any respected developer is going to alienate the fanbase of its series by listening to change that a minority of people want when the majority is fine with the traditional gameplay. And I'm sure this can be said for other established franchises.
    Last edited by Vyse; 1 Week Ago at 21:28.

Forum Overseer

i wish more games were turn based.

Ultimate Veteran
    A lot of my favorite RPGs are turn-based so I'm a little biased but I don't dislike real-time battle systems. Final Fantasy XII was an addictive experience. But if Dragon Quest were to completely change its battle system, it would more likely happen for one of its spin-off titles.

Dedicated Member
    Items Final Fantasy IVAtlus
    Most of the best RPGs of all time are turned based. Happy to have more turn based rpgs it's just at times random encounters can get annoying I like running into monsters onto the field then initiate battle screen.
    Playing - Danganronpa 1 then i'll play 2(Vita), Samurai Warriors 4 (PS3)
    Support Xenosaga HD by clicking the link below and sign the petition!
    https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition...lobal_Release/

Forum Overseer

i've seen more realtime RPGs fail than turn-based. from personal experience.

Thread Information